RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sherrod Brown's warning in Iowa: 'Democrats simply aren’t talking to working-class families'

Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) believes that Democrats are failing to deliver an economic message to voters in the Midwest, where the senator is currently traveling as he considers a potential 2020 bid for the presidency.

At an event Thursday, Brown told Iowa Democrats that members of the party were making a false choice between campaigning for the party's progressive base or working-class families, according to the Des Moines Register.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/428 ... mply-arent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

With respect, I believe Sherrod Brown is making a false division/distinction between those two things, and his statement is mostly false.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:45 am 
Board Emeritus

WTF even is a "progressive," anymore. After 2016 they were crowing about the same thing. Brown is savvy enough to leave off the implied "white" pandering out of that "working class," though. I can appreciate that about him.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:05 am 
Board Emeritus

I again do not understand his distinction. These "progressive younger voters" he's talking about ... what they all run hedge funds? Sip champagne in their sky boxes all day?

They are probably working in the "working class" he's talking about ... often paying off student loans ... thus, in fact, the person making a false distinction is HIM.

It's not an either/or because those aren't "two different groups".

As to what "progressive" even means these days ... well, I have to tell you, it seems that for some people it means coddling of left wing authoritarian dictators, or thinking that economic issues are more important than LGBT or racial ones which I guess should be ignored as so-called 'identity politics', or that we should ignore Russian interference in political elections worldwide (not just the U.S.) despite the fact that they haven't noticed Russia is now right wing and working to support right wing nationalists .... that is why I call those people the regressive left.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

We have a less academic, and much shorter, name for them. Regressive is good, though. I like that. The regressives.

Yes, the saddest are the ones who are still holding up the USSR as anything even vaguely resembling good government.

Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you pissed. --Not John 8:32