RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

One of the dozens of things Trump attacked this weekend was Trumka. Anyway, I'm not interested in the revenge tweets, but in what Trumka said, cuz he nailed it.

AFL-CIO Chief Lashes Trump Administration For Hurting American Workers
“Our members are still waiting for the supposed greatness of this economy to reach their kitchen tables,” Richard Trumka told Chris Wallace on Fox News.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/richard- ... fe057214bf

The president of the AFL-CIO union federation told Fox News’ Chris Wallace on Sunday that the Trump administration has “done more things to hurt workers” than to help them — comments that elicited angry tweets from President Donald Trump.

Richard Trumka, head of the group that includes 55 different unions, said wages are being swamped by rising health care and housing costs, and that Trump is botching his trade war with China.

Trump has also opposed every effort to increase the minimum wage and has stripped safety standards that used to protect workers, Trumka said.

“I’ve tried to call balls and strikes with him,” he said, referring to Trump. “When he does something that’s good for workers, I say so. When he does something that’s bad for workers, I say so. And I have to say, unfortunately, while he may not even know what his administration is doing, they’ve done more things to hurt workers than they have to help them.”

[snip]

“Unfortunately, the rules he’s changing has hurt them. He’s opposed every increase in the minimum wage. He’s changed the regulation to take overtime away from a couple of million people. ... He’s rolled back health and safety standards [for] workers.”

Trumka also said the AFL-CIO will not support the current U.S. Mexico Canada Agreement, the president’s version of NAFTA that hasn’t yet been approved by Congress.

Trumka said the trade regulations are “unenforceable” and that Mexican wages “will suck jobs and capital out of the United States.”

As for China, Trumka said it was good the president had taken on the country, but that he has “done it the wrong way.”

“If you’re going to take on China, it has to be multilateral, it has to address human rights and labor rights violations,” Trumka said. “It has to address currency rebalancing, and it has to have a long-term slant towards good jobs in this country. That’s not been the approach, unfortunately.”

[snip][end]

Exactly right, Mr. Trumka. I hope when some of the working class, of whatever color, especially those in labor unions, will listen to you come 2020, and not be hoodwinked by this con man into thinking he really gives a flying fuck about working people.

He doesn't.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

And neither is the GOP.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:53 pm 
Policy Wonk

ProfessorX wrote:
One of the dozens of things Trump attacked this weekend was Trumka. Anyway, I'm not interested in the revenge tweets, but in what Trumka said, cuz he nailed it.

AFL-CIO Chief Lashes Trump Administration For Hurting American Workers
“Our members are still waiting for the supposed greatness of this economy to reach their kitchen tables,” Richard Trumka told Chris Wallace on Fox News.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/richard- ... fe057214bf

The president of the AFL-CIO union federation told Fox News’ Chris Wallace on Sunday that the Trump administration has “done more things to hurt workers” than to help them — comments that elicited angry tweets from President Donald Trump.

Richard Trumka, head of the group that includes 55 different unions, said wages are being swamped by rising health care and housing costs, and that Trump is botching his trade war with China.

Trump has also opposed every effort to increase the minimum wage and has stripped safety standards that used to protect workers, Trumka said.

“I’ve tried to call balls and strikes with him,” he said, referring to Trump. “When he does something that’s good for workers, I say so. When he does something that’s bad for workers, I say so. And I have to say, unfortunately, while he may not even know what his administration is doing, they’ve done more things to hurt workers than they have to help them.”

[snip]

“Unfortunately, the rules he’s changing has hurt them. He’s opposed every increase in the minimum wage. He’s changed the regulation to take overtime away from a couple of million people. ... He’s rolled back health and safety standards [for] workers.”

Trumka also said the AFL-CIO will not support the current U.S. Mexico Canada Agreement, the president’s version of NAFTA that hasn’t yet been approved by Congress.

Trumka said the trade regulations are “unenforceable” and that Mexican wages “will suck jobs and capital out of the United States.”

As for China, Trumka said it was good the president had taken on the country, but that he has “done it the wrong way.”

“If you’re going to take on China, it has to be multilateral, it has to address human rights and labor rights violations,” Trumka said. “It has to address currency rebalancing, and it has to have a long-term slant towards good jobs in this country. That’s not been the approach, unfortunately.”

[snip][end]

Exactly right, Mr. Trumka. I hope when some of the working class, of whatever color, especially those in labor unions, will listen to you come 2020, and not be hoodwinked by this con man into thinking he really gives a flying fuck about working people.

He doesn't.
gotta give people something to vote for, no amount trumps faults and abuses of power will change that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:16 am 
Board Emeritus

Well, let's see, as I've said a couple dozen times, people in Labor and unions can vote for the party determined to punch them in the face over and over again (the GOP and Trump), who I admit has at least been lying lately about caring about them (Trump does that con man crap very well), or the party that, while I admit has been imperfect in fighting for labor and its rights, at least isn't punching them in the face.... the Dems.

Kinda seems logical to this logician. BTW, to Richard Trumka, the head of the AFL-CIO as well, it seems.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:02 pm 
Policy Wonk

ProfessorX wrote:
Well, let's see, as I've said a couple dozen times, people in Labor and unions can vote for the party determined to punch them in the face over and over again (the GOP and Trump), who I admit has at least been lying lately about caring about them (Trump does that con man crap very well), or the party that, while I admit has been imperfect in fighting for labor and its rights, at least isn't punching them in the face.... the Dems.

Kinda seems logical to this logician. BTW, to Richard Trumka, the head of the AFL-CIO as well, it seems.

well weve seen it play out in the last election already, doesnt seem any safer a bet this time around. dont bet on whats wrong with trump making democrats right, do good for the people to win.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Most of the candidates I'm favoring in the primaries have a strong message on labor rights.

But I agree with your point, yes, we need to run on more than just "not-trump" ... we need to show how we're better. And I like the candidates in the primary who can make that case.