RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:10 am 
Board Emeritus

Ever? Private Sector Unions lost 339,000 jobs have 7.1 million members and are down to 6.9% of the work force. we recently had a discussion about the death of the Twinkie. Many Union folks thought it was because management didnt develop or adapt to changing times.
How is the death of the Union any differant? No where is organized labor attempting to organize any workers. You rank and file people are being sold down the river as so called labor leaders like Trumpka are putting their own left wing politics ahead of of growing or saving Union jobs.
Once again we have seen a political season where organized labor spent 100's of millions of dollars getting Democrats elected and re-elected, while spending nothing promoting Union membership or organizing new industries or companies.
As I have said before I have been driving trucks since 1991, never once in all those years has any Union attempted to organize any full truck load carrier. Not only that but, during that time they have sat by and watched the less than truck load industry that they once dominated go from Union Jobs to Non-Union Jobs.
Non Truckload [LTL] Carriers have the highest freight rates and what has hapened time and again is the Companies buy up non-union carriers then bankrupt their Union side. It happened with Consoldated Freightways they are now ConWay, it is happened with Roadway who had to combine with Yellow and now Yellow is being run out of business as they transfer their freight to a non-union company they own.
Even UPS which bought Overnight is not hiring any more Union Line haul Drivers. Their site automatically takes you to the non-union company.
Today I delivered at a Grocery Warehouse, all grocery warehouses hire outside firms to unload the trucks that come in. Those contractors charge the companies on a per load basis. This morning in Milton Pa they charged the company I work for $156 to unload 32 pallets of paper towells. The product didnt have to broke down into smaller palletes all they did was take the product off the truck and sit it on the dock for the checker to count. I doubt the guy who did the actual labor which took a little over an hour was making more than $12 an hour. Every grocery warehouse works the exact same way and the charges are about the same everywhere. [by all I mean better than 90%] Why isnt a Union trying to organize those workers who unload the trucks at these facilities?
The answer is obvious, because Unions don't give a rats ass about growing or saving Union Jobs. Unions don't give a rats ass about the rank and file. All Unions have become is a left wing political arm of the Democrat Party. Let me preface here I am not talking about your local, they care very much about you. It is the national leadership, the national organization the national AFL/CIO it is the people like Trumpka that wouldnt walk across the street to piss on you if you were afire.
Unions are dying, losing members to the point that in another 20 years there won't be any Unions, and the current members don't even see it. Because they are to worried about things like a meaningless $85 billion tax increase on the top 1%.
what a shame, and how sad what has become of organized labor, that stood so tall and proud back when my dad was yound husband and father.
I know I am rambling but, one final thought. Is their a Union Shop anywhere in the Nation that is growing? Is their a Union Shop anywhere in the Nation that is Hiring? Is there a Union Local anywhere in the Nation that my 21 year old daughter could walk into and be pointed to a Unionized Comany and get a job? In a country of 300 million I doubt there are any.
Quit blaming the GOP and start evaluating yourselves. Each and every Union Person on this board is a good person and deserves more, more than the bullshit your national leaders are giving you.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:12 am 
Board Emeritus

Quit insulting me, glen. We've had this discussion. You are just trolling.

GoU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:34 am 
Board Emeritus

I am not trolling. Every day I see business after business that could and should be organized. The Union sits by and fiddles while Rome burns and it pisses me off.
Another one is mechanics. Did you know if you take your class 8 rig to a shop they charge over $100 an hour for labor. I don't mind paying the $100 but, I do mind if the guy pulling the wrenches isnt getting at leat 35% of the labor costs.
Yet to my knowledge no Union has tried to organize those shops. A few have Unions bet damn few. Same is true of car dealers, why arent the mechanics and salespeople being organized? There are so many places organized labor could double it's ranks if it invested in union building as much as it does politics.
Like I said there is no Union Hall in the USA wherea 21 year old can wlk in and be pointed towards a job.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:32 pm 
Policy Wonk

I'm confused.

Are unions bad or good?

You complain about unions being an impediment to business then complain that unions aren't supporting employees enough?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am not trolling. Every day I see business after business that could and should be organized. The Union sits by and fiddles while Rome burns and it pisses me off.
Another one is mechanics. Did you know if you take your class 8 rig to a shop they charge over $100 an hour for labor. I don't mind paying the $100 but, I do mind if the guy pulling the wrenches isnt getting at leat 35% of the labor costs.
Yet to my knowledge no Union has tried to organize those shops. A few have Unions bet damn few. Same is true of car dealers, why arent the mechanics and salespeople being organized? There are so many places organized labor could double it's ranks if it invested in union building as much as it does politics.
Like I said there is no Union Hall in the USA wherea 21 year old can wlk in and be pointed towards a job.

You don't know. When you try to organize car dealerships, the dealerships fire people, bribe others, and drag it out for years in court. They will spends thousands or millions to make sure you never get a contract.

Just like with Walmart, you are talking from ignorance. [url-http://www.americanrightsatwork.org/component/option,com_issues/Itemid,93/view,issue/id,8/]Look at this link, and the information therein[/url].

Glen, you know me. You know I'm in a position to know what's going on. You know when I'm being straight with you. I give you my solemn word, from extensive personal experience, that everything this site says is completely true, and nothing is exaggerated.

GoU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Organizing right now is playing with a weak hand in a rigged game. Congre$$ saw to that, from Taft-Hartley on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:12 pm 
Policy Wonk

Is it still legal for unions to organize and build or has the right wing made that a crime too?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:16 pm 
Policy Wonk

35% of the labor costs?? What else would labor costs consist of other than labor? Seems to me if they're charging $100 an hour for labor but only spending $35 than that's fraud. Now if they want to be honest and say they're charging you $35 an hour for labor and $65 an hour "just cause we like money" than ok

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:38 pm 
Policy Wonk

Unless a mechanic is working out of his own garage at home, there will be other costs than "labor" for any job done. There is always overhead, which includes cost of management, as well as buildings (rent, insurance, taxes), electric, tools and equipment, and profit, etc. Plus a worker probably has benefits not included in that labor rate.