Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Quote:
A woman found a chilling letter describing Chinese factory conditions in a box of Halloween decorations from Kmart.

<snip>

"If you occasionally buy this product, please kindly resend this letter to the World Human Right Organization. Thousands people here who are under the persecution of the Chinese Communist Party Government will thank and remember you forever.

People who work here have to work 15 hours a day without Saturday, Sunday break and any holidays. Otherwise, they will suffer torturement, beat and rude remark. Nearly no payment (10 yuan/1 month).

People who work here, suffer punishment 1-3 years averagely, but without Court Sentence (unlaw punishment). Many of them are Falun Gong practitioners, who are totally innocent people only because they have different believe to CCPG. They often suffer more punishment than others."
http://www.businessinsider.com/kmart-shopper-finds-letter-from-china-2012-12

Slavery is alive and well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:37 pm 
Political Junkie

Slavery is alive and well.

If this is legit, what a brave person. My prayers go out to him/her, and any others in his/her position.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

If this is legit, what a brave person. My prayers go out to him/her, and any others in his/her position.

It seems to have some indicia of authenticity, such as the description of the unit number and department number of the worker. They should be able to find out if that factory, unit and department could have produced the product, which is not something that the woman herself would have cause to know.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

If it *is* legit, whoever published the details of the unit and factory has endangered the writer of the note.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:37 pm 
Political Junkie

If it *is* legit, whoever published the details of the unit and factory has endangered the writer of the note.

Hadnt even thought of that. Apparently, the woman who bought the decorations didnt either. Well, hopefully the WHRO will at least see the letter, not that they will able to do much about it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hadnt even thought of that. Apparently, the woman who bought the decorations didnt either.

No, but Business Insider should have. One can hope there will be no retribution.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

Like the Wikileaks stuff?

This person was reaching out and trying to raise awareness of their plight. They got what they were hoping for. They new exactly the chance they were taking and hopefully, if something does happen to the author, the papers will print that too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Like the Wikileaks stuff?

This person was reaching out and trying to raise awareness of their plight. They got what they were hoping for. They new exactly the chance they were taking and hopefully, if something does happen to the author, the papers will print that too.

There is no way to know exactly the intention of the writer, but I would guess that s/he would hope that the info would get to the proper channels to actually deal with the issue, not simply paint a target on him/herself and co-workers. Just because this was the only way to get info out to the world does not mean that s/he expected or wanted it to be splashed across the media.

And if the ongoing abuse of workers is so far under the radar, as it clearly is, I would not be even a little bit confident that the papers will know, let alone print, if retribution is exacted.

Certainly the story could have been printed for general consumption without the identifying details and those could have been saved for the use of those who are in a position to investigate more fully.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

There is no way to know exactly the intention of the writer, but I would guess that s/he would hope that the info would get to the proper channels to actually deal with the issue, not simply paint a target on him/herself and co-workers. Just because this was the only way to get info out to the world does not mean that s/he expected or wanted it to be splashed across the media.

And if the ongoing abuse of workers is so far under the radar, as it clearly is, I would not be even a little bit confident that the papers will know, let alone print, if retribution is exacted.

Certainly the story could have been printed for general consumption without the identifying details and those could have been saved for the use of those who are in a position to investigate more fully.

The "proper channels?" You act as if there is some body that controls Chinese prison camps.

The information has lead to separate investigations. The very act of asking for assistance from what is, at best, a lobbying group, shows a desire to get a message out.

The journalist's job is to report and somehow people have lost sight of that. They aren't supposed to run every shred of information through their own filter. I think Julian Assange did the right thing, because people have a right to know if their governments are corrupt. People should know where the shit they are buying from Kmart is being made. Good God, I wonder how many inconvenient stories you would muzzle prajna.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Thank you for telling me what a journalist's job is. I am a journalist. I do not print every single thing I know the moment I know it; sometimes I leave stuff out, but I never change the factual basis of the story or leave out the info that moves the story forward and I am well-regarded for the accuracy of my reporting. Sometimes the stuff I chose not include comes out later. Sometimes it does not.

If I thought it would go somewhere other than where every conversation between us has gone today, I'd say more, but I don't think so.

Thanks for the tips, though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:59 am 
Board Emeritus

as long as we can continue to get our geegaws it won't matter. some people will raise a complaint. there may even be some "investigations" resulting in the chinese government playacting at addressing conditions. maybe prison or a death sentence for some middling manager but you had best believe the chinese government will continue its economic warfare no matter the pr cost.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:26 am 
Board Emeritus

Thank you for telling me what a journalist's job is. I am a journalist. I do not print every single thing I know the moment I know it; sometimes I leave stuff out, but I never change the factual basis of the story or leave out the info that moves the story forward and I am well-regarded for the accuracy of my reporting. Sometimes the stuff I chose not include comes out later. Sometimes it does not.

If I thought it would go somewhere other than where every conversation between us has gone today, I'd say more, but I don't think so.

Thanks for the tips, though.

If the person who wrote the letter had wanted to remain anonymous, he or she could have. There is no request for that at all. He or she could have written a general letter, without a name, unit, and division. The investigations are already under way so apparently the information went to some of the "right channels" before the release of the letter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

This is no surprise. I saw footage of kids in Bangladesh rescued from making stupid holiday ornaments for Americans. They sat in dark corners, hidden from the population and worked on concrete floors 16 hours a day. Some had been kidnapped and some bought from parents who sold them.

Stories like this is why I cringe everytime I pick up merchandise that says "made in China" or "made in Bangledesh." How many slaves were used in the making of this product? And what to hell is the United Nations doing about it? And what's our government doing? Bringing those jobs back in the U.S.? Nope. Most politicians on Capital Hill would just as soon make us slaves to their corporate masters.

After hearing about how iphones and other electronics are manufactured at FOX CONN, should we be surprised by this?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

How odd I posted something about China being pollutors on politics and issues and a handful of lefties defended China yet here I read no critisism of the post or the poster. I wonder if I had posted this and Jdogg posted the pollution story if the responses might have been flip flopped.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Glen, stating fact- such as that China is the largest consumer of renewable energy - is not a "defense" of the Chinese government or their labor policies. It simply is a fact. I want the discussion here to be fact based. Not rhetoric based. Not hysteria based.