RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:02 am 
Policy Wonk

SEIU-UHW has a "labor-management partnership" with Kaiser Permanente. The head of SEIU in California, Dave Regan in association with the Hospital Association, wants to roll back nurse-patient ratios. The California Nurses Association fought for ratios a decade ago.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/1 ... 02969.html

SEIU labor reps where I work are for all practical purposes an extension of management. They are willing to gather data to discipline employees on behalf of management.

Stern Burger with Fries is an excellent blog that tracks the problems we face with the upcoming election beginning April 4th. Kaiser is in negotiations with Dave Regan now, in the event SEIU prevails, multiple giveaways will occur with upcoming contract negotiations. The clerks where I work are represented by SEIU. They pay a 9 cent an hour "tax" every shift which SEIU and Kaiser use to train their managers on the Labor Management Partnership.

http://sternburgerwithfries.blogspot.co ... results=50

SEIU-UHW would collect an additional $6 million a year from Kaiser’s 43,000 workers through the Partnership Tax.

So how would this $6 million be spent? According to SEIU-UHW’s summary of the tentative agreement, the tax would pay for things like training Kaiser managers on the union’s contract and “conferences on the Labor Management Partnership.”

http://sternburgerwithfries.blogspot.co ... aiser.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:33 am 
Board Emeritus

SEIU is a union gone bad. Used to be one of the finest unions in America, then Stern got hold of it. It's now nothing more than a business to fleece the members. It's a company union, letting the companies do whatever they want in exchange for members. There's a great book out that outlines how SEIU went wrong.

They do not represent workers. Good luck to both CNA and NUHW in taking their rights back.

GoU

"You would think that after 8 years of hearing allegations against Bill C and another 8 against President Obama you people would have learned that 90% of those types of allegations just aren't true."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:41 am 
Policy Wonk

We are cautiously optimistic SEIU is on the ropes. Dave Regan was rumored to show up at the Sacramento Kaiser hospital yesterday but ended up being a no-show. His appearances have drawn few people.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:33 am 
Site Admin

I agree with gounion on this. They have taken the AFSCME idea of Labor-Management training and team work to a whole different level... one that puts labor representatives way out on a "corporate controlled" limb.
I think it would be in the best interest of your local to take back it's own power, and show it at the negotiating table.
Start making your voice heard now at the meetings. At least it will show the union leaders where their problems are in their own flawed ideas.
And if there is no action on their own part, then there is always a way to present the problems before the labor relations board in your state.

Image . Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:24 am 
Board Emeritus

I agree with gounion on this. They have taken the AFSCME idea of Labor-Management training and team work to a whole different level... one that puts labor representatives way out on a "corporate controlled" limb.
I think it would be in the best interest of your local to take back it's own power, and show it at the negotiating table.
Start making your voice heard now at the meetings. At least it will show the union leaders where their problems are in their own flawed ideas.
And if there is no action on their own part, then there is always a way to present the problems before the labor relations board in your state.

It's went far beyond that, Bernie. They are trying to take the unit AWAY from SEIU. Here's an article with more info. Most of the labor movement is rooting for the NUHW-CNA.

GoU

"You would think that after 8 years of hearing allegations against Bill C and another 8 against President Obama you people would have learned that 90% of those types of allegations just aren't true."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:54 am 
Board Emeritus

I could be wrong here but, in the private sector arent many unions entering into partnerships like this at the point of a gun in order to keep jobs from moving?

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:03 am 
Board Emeritus

I could be wrong here but, in the private sector arent many unions entering into partnerships like this at the point of a gun in order to keep jobs from moving?

You can't have a partnership at the point of a gun.

SEIU is a union that's went corporate. They don't work for the membership, they work against them. Sad, it used to be a great union.

GoU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:20 am 
Board Emeritus

NLRB issues complain against Kaiser. They are in collusion with SEIU.

GoU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:44 am 
Policy Wonk

SEIU reps are lapdogs during meetings, they are an extension of management. They agreed to gather data on their members so Senior Management could use the data to discipline members. SEIU reps are not at odds with corporations, they are on their side and will do their bidding, not to protect their members and their jobs but work against members. When CNA speaks up during meetings, we use the term "labor" since management accuses our chief rep of "taking things personally." In other words, when it was proposed that CNA reps gather the same data on their members to use against nurses, our chief rep clearly stated "labor does not agree to this." If management wants data to use, management can gather it themselves.

SEIU will allow major take-aways during contract negotiations because they take management's side. In fact, their members are being "taxed" 9 cents an hour each shift for the pleasure of having a job. Thousands of dollars are gathered to train management in "labor-management partnerships." SEIU members are paying to train management.

Dave Regan heads SEIU in California. Regan worked with the Hospital Association (an association filled with every CEO, COO of nearly every hospital and hospital chain in California) to weaken nurse-to-patient ratios. Ratios were a hard fought battle CNA won several years ago. Research shows patients have better outcomes when nurses are assigned a limited number of patients per shift. Regan worked in collusion with heads of hospitals to undermine nurses.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:34 am 
Site Admin

SEIU reps are lapdogs during meetings, they are an extension of management. They agreed to gather data on their members so Senior Management could use the data to discipline members. SEIU reps are not at odds with corporations, they are on their side and will do their bidding, not to protect their members and their jobs but work against members. When CNA speaks up during meetings, we use the term "labor" since management accuses our chief rep of "taking things personally." In other words, when it was proposed that CNA reps gather the same data on their members to use against nurses, our chief rep clearly stated "labor does not agree to this." If management wants data to use, management can gather it themselves.

SEIU will allow major take-aways during contract negotiations because they take management's side. In fact, their members are being "taxed" 9 cents an hour each shift for the pleasure of having a job. Thousands of dollars are gathered to train management in "labor-management partnerships." SEIU members are paying to train management.

Dave Regan heads SEIU in California. Regan worked with the Hospital Association (an association filled with every CEO, COO of nearly every hospital and hospital chain in California) to weaken nurse-to-patient ratios. Ratios were a hard fought battle CNA won several years ago. Research shows patients have better outcomes when nurses are assigned a limited number of patients per shift. Regan worked in collusion with heads of hospitals to undermine nurses.

Ohhh! This could be ugly if a series of decertify actions happen. Something to watch!

Image . Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:28 am 
Policy Wonk

Did you know the A-F-L-C-I-O is a S-E-L-L-O-U-T? Workers at a Washington DC Kaiser have a "labor-management partnership (LMP), represented by what they call "Not Your Father's Union (AFL-CIO)." One LMP gimmick is "the huddle." We have huddles were I work since the SEIU-UHW represents the clerks. Top management and a manager from the clerk side of the house gather small groups of nurses to engage in "communication." At my huddle, I communicated away. In fact, you couldn't shut me up. My communication in the huddle inspired a subsequent letter. :rw)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:50 am 
Policy Wonk

Quote:
A source provided a copy of a secret plan hatched by SEIU-UHW and Kaiser Permanente that seeks to promote an invasive corporate wellness program that SEIU-UHW's Dave Regan accepted during last year’s negotiations with Kaiser.

According to the secret plan, Kaiser and SEIU plan will soon stage a series of publicity stunts to try to get positive media coverage of their intrusive wellness program.

During last year’s partnership negotiations, SEIU-UHW’s Dave Regan agreed to allow Kaiser to annually collect “biometric data” from each of SEIU-UHW’s 45,000 members so that Kaiser can monitor workers’ weight (“body mass index”), their smoking rates, cholesterol levels, and blood pressure. Kaiser will then store this “biometric data” and use it to calculate workers’ future bonuses.

A copy of the plan is at the link. I wanted to post this as a way to show you how stuff like wellness programs are abused to pressure employees. SEIU has a labor-management partnership which means the union is in collusion with the boss to harass workers about their health. Also of note are media personalities who will go out and make "favorable" comments about the program. If you see Tavis Smiley, Kristi Yamaguchi, or Bob Green (on Oprah) speak glowingly about Kaiser's wellness program, you know why. They are shills.

It's not enough to show up to work and do your job anymore. You truly have no privacy anymore. Management talks about what workers do at HOME that impacts how they perform at work.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:21 am 
Board Emeritus

I have seen union/management partnerships that work. Harley-Davidson would be one example. I'll admit they are hard to do correctly, and I'll admit there are many that end up badly.

I was involved in a safety partnership for several years. It worked quite well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:20 am 
Policy Wonk

I have seen union/management partnerships that work. Harley-Davidson would be one example. I'll admit they are hard to do correctly, and I'll admit there are many that end up badly.

I was involved in a safety partnership for several years. It worked quite well.

I can tell you without hesitation, CNA is 100% against labor-management partnerships (LMP). SEIU's initiatives where I work do not make the worker's lives better. The trend is to invade worker's off-the-clock lives, such as come up with ways to explore what they do at home that impacts their work day. Workers get no rest from their jobs. SEIU taxes employees 9 cents per shift (in union dues which becomes the "Labor Management Partnership Trust Fund). SEIU uses the money to train managers on labor-management partnerships, in other words, labor is footing the bill for management.

The Wellness Program is a scam. Bonuses are being paid to managers when labor can coerce workers into meeting goals, like decreasing mouse clicks. Every, single second is tracked in the office. Everything is recorded. Several people can listen to call, like management, medical directors, quality management. A program to count every mouse movement, click, is charted, graphed and used during coaching sessions. The Wellness Program is another avenue of invasiveness. Talk about a 'nanny state.'

Quote:
That’s where “Wellness Ambassadors” fit in. Under SEIU’s new contract, Kaiser and SEIU will create Wellness Ambassadors -- “dedicated workplace leaders so that work teams can take ownership of employee health and wellness,” according to SEIU's contract language. Some workers are calling them “wellness cops” who’re now responsible for pushing wellness assessments, pedometers, team salad days, and whatever new-fangled forms of social pressure might be dreamed up by Dave Regan, John August and Kaiser's executives.

http://sternburgerwithfries.blogspot.co ... rs-at.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

I understand. I wouldn't trust SEIU. They are a corporate-ran union, ran by MBAs.

I'm just saying there are good partnerships, too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:02 pm 
Policy Wonk

I understand. I wouldn't trust SEIU. They are a corporate-ran union, ran by MBAs.

I'm just saying there are good partnerships, too.

Run by MBA's, now it's making sense. :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:50 pm 

The blog: http://sternburgerwithfries.blogspot.com/ - is informative but with out doubt this blog will hold great bias. That said, Ive had a hard time searching on google and yahoo for information regarding this topic [LMP]. In my opinion it undermines the labor aspect with union in that I gives control to union leadership [Oakland SEIU-UHW] and KP leadership. With my experience, LMP is flawed in that it will hold and demand labor members accountable but will turn a blind eye when supervisors or managers dismiss the voice and needs of labor.

In my experience, even after the very unpopular 9 cent [PER HOUR!!] "agreement" for the LMP, managers continue to NOT pay for LMP based meetings.