RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

Would you like to outlaw Amazon?

No, but I would regulate Amazon. Paying a living wage, to start with, and making them adhere to labor laws. They are running a sweatshop.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

They may well be, I agree. I very seldom use them for anything. I avoid patronizing these sorts of firms.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

They may well be, I agree. I very seldom use them for anything. I avoid patronizing these sorts of firms.

See? It's not hard at all for me to answer a question. Why are you so scared and gutless when asked simple questions?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Only foolish questions are foolish to answer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Only foolish questions are foolish to answer.

I asked you where you stood on Trump and his statements. No foolish questions. And everyone coming here sees how gutless you are. Too scared to say what you believe.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am most unhappy with both presumptive candidates. It is sad for the nation.

Dumbing down has produced the anticipated result.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ah, the old "I'm not taking a stand" except that you always defend Trump, or at least never really say anything bad about him, but you always attack Clinton.

Usual conservative tactic. You aren't even original.

Sorry, you can't cover up all the pro-Trump posts you've made. But you're too scared to answer simple questions about your views about him. Like "do you support his attack on the Judge?" and "Were his comments on the Judge racist?"

But you're too scared to answer them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:32 am 
Board Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:42 am 
Policy Wonk

artificial employees and fake food

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:40 am 
Board Emeritus

They may not have Sparky McDroid at the window yet, but these are here.

I've seen them. They're rolling them out.

A human still needs to hand you your food - haven't automated the delivery yet - but you select your items & pay at the kiosk. No more cash register. (Some teenager is still making your milkshake and spitting in it first in the back, of course, some things don't change.)

But, it's a weird thing. My nearest Winn-Dixie had self-serve cashier/bagger-less checkout lanes, and removed them. I've seen that happen. Apparently, the store found people were having so much trouble working the technology that it was slowing the customers down to the point of complaining -- and they removed them.

Some places are finding automating doesn't always work.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:54 am 
Board Emeritus

Oh, and you know what's really cute? When to make them seem more friendly, they make these ordering kiosks look just like gigantic iPhones.

Increasingly, of course, you'll be able to use ApplePay or AndroidPay to pay at these systems, as well.

I think the app is already in development where you'll order through the app on your phone before you get to the joint, and then just 'beam' your order, too.

Like Ritzer says, McDonaldization is all about hyper-efficiency -- can't serve 13 billion (esp. when there isn't that many folks on the planet) unless you get them in and out, quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:18 am 
Board Emeritus

A human still needs to hand you your food - haven't automated the delivery yet - but you select your items & pay at the kiosk. No more cash register. (Some teenager is still making your milkshake and spitting in it first in the back, of course, some things don't change.)

But, it's a weird thing. My nearest Winn-Dixie had self-serve cashier/bagger-less checkout lanes, and removed them. I've seen that happen. Apparently, the store found people were having so much trouble working the technology that it was slowing the customers down to the point of complaining -- and they removed them.

Some places are finding automating doesn't always work.

One of the earlier steps, prior to robots, but still with the goal of increasing owner-profits by cutting costs somewhere else, was to outsource the drive-up windows to another country (typically India, since they can at least learn to speak English in ways that are every bit as good as any Brit).

I saw this happening in the early-90's where I lived (western San Fernando Valley). The New York Times has articles from the mid-ought's about this happening in other locations.

For about three weeks as a teenager (early 80's) I worked at one of those MickyD's (until I found a much better job) and it was really weird (to the point of being surreal) seeing one of the owners pull up in a Rolls Royce and jump into the kitchen scene doing his best to show us how to do our job.

The owners of MickyD's make a mother fucking fortune, and it's even bigger when you are the franchise-owner of several such stores.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:07 pm 
Policy Wonk

The owners of MickyD's make a mother fucking fortune, and it's even bigger when you are the franchise-owner of several such stores.

Average annual profit per franchise: $150,000 a year, roughly.

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/mcdonalds-fr ... rofit.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Average annual profit per franchise: $150,000 a year, roughly.

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/mcdonalds-fr ... rofit.html

Nah, food costs wouldnt be that much, I dont think but even if they were, add manager payroll to profit and you have quarter of a million

$400,000 for rent? :rw) No...

Rent might be $120,000 or even less depending on location, so profit is WAY more than stated unless you are on Market ST San Francisco then the gross is much higher which evens out the rent

Restaurants usually go 30% food, 40% overhead, 30% profit. something like that if done right

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ah, the old "I'm not taking a stand" except that you always defend Trump, or at least never really say anything bad about him, but you always attack Clinton.

Usual conservative tactic. You aren't even original.

Sorry, you can't cover up all the pro-Trump posts you've made. But you're too scared to answer simple questions about your views about him. Like "do you support his attack on the Judge?" and "Were his comments on the Judge racist?"

But you're too scared to answer them.

Yes, you are right. I am too scared. I admit it.

Do not expect anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yes, you are right. I am too scared. I admit it.

Do not expect anything else.

Everyone here has always had low expectations of you, Trit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:39 am 
Policy Wonk

http://www.wxyz.com/news/michigan-legislature-moving-to-limit-retirement-benefits-for-public-employees-in-lame-duck-session

Michigan legislature moving to limit retirement benefits for public employees in lame duck session

Quote:
The Michigan legislature is moving quickly to limit retirement benefits for public employees in the remaining weeks of the lame duck session.

This will affect thousands of teachers, cops, firefighters and others.

The senate is moving forward on closing the current retirement system to new teachers. It passed a committee by a close vote of 9-8 today and could get a full senate vote tomorrow.

This next is brand new and taking many by surprise.

A 13-bill package was just introduced in the house today that would make big cuts to health care benefits for retired police, fire and other local government workers. Those will be taken up in a house committee first thing in ........

looks like they will be including police and firefighters this time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

http://www.wxyz.com/news/michigan-legislature-moving-to-limit-retirement-benefits-for-public-employees-in-lame-duck-session

Michigan legislature moving to limit retirement benefits for public employees in lame duck session

looks like they will be including police and firefighters this time.

GOP hates working people, always have. But until those cops and firemen stop voting for cons, they will continue to be hurt.

We deserve to be destroyed, I am afraid, I mean we vote for it, why not?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

GOP hates working people, always have. But until those cops and firemen stop voting for cons, they will continue to be hurt.

es macht nichts. today i heard the shrew known as kellyanne conway say what about white workers. nah, racism played no role. hey, white workers? you have supported republicans for decades since the election of the great prevaricator. yet you haven't learned that the capitalist system does not exist to provide you with a job nor economic security.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:12 pm 

Wise and true words. The smart GOP people have stopped defending Trump along time ago, leaving Kellyanne Conway to be the verbal contortionist in chief. She's best at it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:15 pm 

Given Ferguson et seq, it's police unions that proved the biggest problem with unions in general, because it is with them as it is with teacher unions: a protection racket for the incompetent and nefarious.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Given Ferguson et seq, it's police unions that proved the biggest problem with unions in general, because it is with them as it is with teacher unions: a protection racket for the incompetent and nefarious.

bullshit comment

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

As a teacher, I don't agree with this comment on teacher's unions ... obviously.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:58 am 

bullshit comment

...because....?
You got nothin'. I've got Black Lives Matter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:01 am 

As a teacher, I don't agree with this comment on teacher's unions ... obviously.

...because....?
Looks like you got nothin' too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next