RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

The link doesn't say what the argument between Jeremy Hamilton, the co-owner, and Guan Chen, who was fired two days earlier and was there to pickup his final pay and personal belongings, was about. It could be personal or it could be work related.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:55 am 
Board Emeritus

Workers Comp was a deal cut that actually worked pretty well for decades. For years, if you were hurt on the job, you were simply fired if you couldn't work.

Then, a few workers sued, and the courts started giving them big wins on the theory that the factory has a responsibility to provide a safe workplace.

But, of course, suits are expensive for both sides, and you never know if you'll win or not. It's a crapshoot.

So, they came up with a Workers Compensation insurance system. The company paid premiums, and if a person was hurt on the job, their medical and time off were paid. If they had a permanent injury, they would get a set amount depending on the injury. In return, they couldn't sue.

However, now the right is attacking the system, taking away the automatic payments and refusing to pay for injuries, while leaving the part where the workers can't sue...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Here it's called L and I. When I was injured on the job, I didn't get any money but it paid for the doctor's visits.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:15 am 
Policy Wonk

a must read

Contractors expose Michigan workers to deadly asbestos

Quote:
At a time when blight removal is at historic highs and a record number of contractors are getting into the asbestos-abatement business in Michigan, the state's worker safety agency rarely gets tough with employers who expose their workers to the deadly toxin, a Free Press investigation has found.

The Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration — MIOSHA — says it does not have enough inspectors to police all abatement projects. It says its job is to encourage proper abatement and it often lowers penalties for companies that fix hazardous conditions quickly. The Free Press, however, found many instances in which contractors didn't remedy violations or pay their penalties — even when they were drastically reduced.

The investigation also found dozens of cases of unlicensed contractors and untrained workers removing asbestos improperly: In one, the crew included workers hired from a homeless shelter — people lured by the promise of easy cash and not likely to complain about working conditions. In others, workers weren’t told they were removing asbestos or given proper clothing and respirators. In some, proper decontamination procedures weren't followed and debris was disposed of in ordinary garbage bags instead of airtight containers, potentially exposing many others to the contaminant.

Despite these glaring violations, the Free Press found that over a seven-year period, employers were issued zero penalties in two-thirds of cases in which safety issues were involved. For a serious violation, such as failing to provide a decontamination area, not one company got the maximum $7,000 penalty. For a repeat or willful violation, such as failing to provide respirators and protective clothing, no company got the maximum $70,000 penalty. Experts say the failure to levy tough fines only encourages rogue operators.

The stakes for workers are high. There is no known safe level of exposure to asbestos, which was declared a hazardous pollutant by the Environmental Protection Agency in 1971. It can cause lung disease and cancer, although symptoms may not become apparent for decades.

Asbestos fibers are much smaller than a human hair, and their aerodynamic shape helps.......

Working in Michigan a horror nowadays

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:08 am 
Board Emeritus

Nice, how many cases of mesothelioma will occur because of that?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

a must read

Contractors expose Michigan workers to deadly asbestos

Working in Michigan a horror nowadays

:|

Sometimes people get carried away. Some threats are overblown. Asbestosis is awful, but those who generally come down with it are workers who for years, day in, and day out, were coated with it.

My trade is high risk for exposure. Within my trade workers don't freak out when they find some. They put on a respirator and stuff it in a plastic bag, and they take the bag to the landfill, where they place the bag in the special section of the land fill for Asbestos. That special section is sprinkled with water to keep down dust if the wind blows. Often old floor tile being striped from a floor contains Asbestos, that is placed in boxes and the procedure is the same, it goes to the land fill.

Often the procedure is to paint over it, and other than that leave it alone.

The days of freaking out over Asbestos are over. Wear coveralls and use a dust respirator. Clean up after the work is done.

-----

"Naturally-occurring asbestos may be found in at least 44 of California's 58 counties." http://www.placer.ca.gov/departments/air/NOA

There is a patch of it west of my house, north of my house, south of my house, and east of my house. I even have an outcropping of Asbestos bearing rock in my yard.

Here's a map if anyone wants to download it: ftp://ftp.consrv.ca.gov/pub/dmg/pubs/of ... 00-019.pdf It only shows

Additional links: http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/asbestos/asbestos.htm

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sometimes people get carried away. Some threats are overblown. Asbestosis is awful, but those who generally come down with it are workers who for years, day in, and day out, were coated with it.

My trade is high risk for exposure. Within my trade workers don't freak out when they find some. They put on a respirator and stuff it in a plastic bag, and they take the bag to the landfill, where they place the bag in the special section of the land fill for Asbestos. That special section is sprinkled with water to keep down dust if the wind blows. Often old floor tile being striped from a floor contains Asbestos, that is placed in boxes and the procedure is the same, it goes to the land fill.

The days of freaking out over Asbestos are over. Wear coveralls and use a dust respirator. Clean up after the work is done.

-----

"Naturally-occurring asbestos may be found in at least 44 of California's 58 counties." http://www.placer.ca.gov/departments/air/NOA

There is a patch of it west of my house, north of my house, south of my house, and east of my house. I even have an outcropping of Asbestos bearing rock in my yard.

Here's a map if anyone wants to download it: ftp://ftp.consrv.ca.gov/pub/dmg/pubs/of ... 00-019.pdf It only shows

Seems to be the case, that we don't freak out so much any more about asbestos.

It is still all over the place in older buildings (stuff built before about 1980), not to mention that it's a naturally occurring mineral.

I've wrapped up plenty of asbestos pipe-wraps in a few layers of plastic; sealed it up as well as I could and left it as undisturbed as possible.

Recently, as in this year, the popcorn ceiling in one of the apartments here tested positive for asbestos. A crew was removing the ceiling and did not even realize that it probably contains asbestos. Now, they have a bit of a mess to clean up.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

-----

When you look at the map of the state and the location of natural occurring asbestos you'll see it's mostly concentrated in less densely (rural) populated areas. I'd be more worried about asbestos that is processed and used in and around places we live and work than asbestos in the ground/surface.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:18 pm 
Policy Wonk

Sam Lefthand wrote:

-----

good advice but as the article tells those precautions are exactly whats not occuring

Quote:
.......The issue is particularly crucial now as abatement projects are way up across Michigan, doubling between fiscal 2010 and fiscal 2015, according to MIOSHA data. Detroit alone is undertaking what city officials call the largest blight removal operation ever attempted nationwide. Since January 2014, the city has demolished approximately 8,400 homes and has roughly 32,000 left..........

Quote:
.....MIOSbut the HA Director Martha Yoder, who recently retired, told the Free Press in an interview last year that her asbestos inspectors could not monitor all abatement projects in Michigan. The agency has four inspectors this year, down from five in fiscal 2015.....

certainly not a big deal to employers maybe a fine maybe but the workers fine is their health

Quote:
.......“The disparity between environmental laws and penalties under worker safety laws is alarming," said Uhlmann, who spent 17 years at the U.S. Justice Department, seven as chief of the environmental crimes section, and has testified before Congress. “It says a lot about where we are in the United States, and the State of Michigan, in terms of worker protection but also the diminished influence of the labor movement.”.........

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:33 pm 
Policy Wonk

Some workers have not participated in the recovery, since Obama. That is apparently a problem for a few people. But with the vigorous plans of the presidential candidates, this problem will be focused on like a laser beam, and the benefits will trickle for some of you too, like it has for most of us. Sorry for your troubles. Keep on truckin'.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Most orders have not participated from the recovery because there has not really been a recovery. There has been the refashioning of the chains and yokes.

Plus you can use the pissoir of your choice.

Surely that must count for something!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:15 am 
Board Emeritus

A very sad and telling article from WaPo

From belief to outrage: The decline of the middle class reaches the next American town

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:06 am 
Board Emeritus

Well, explaining how and why workers are getting ground down, while leaving out their employers, seems a very incomplete way to tell the story.

http://www.wagetheft.org/faq/

Wage theft covers a variety of infractions that occur when workers do not receive their legally or contractually promised wages.

Common forms of wage theft are:

non-payment of overtime
not giving workers their last paycheck after a worker leaves a job
not paying for all the hours worked
not paying minimum wage
not paying a worker at all

Working off the clock, stealing tips, not paying overtime, or misclassifying workers are just a few ways dishonest employers might steal wages. It's time to put a stop to that.

[snip][end]

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:14 am 
Board Emeritus

Well, explaining how and why workers are getting ground down, while leaving out their employers, seems a very incomplete way to tell the story.

http://www.wagetheft.org/faq/

Wage theft covers a variety of infractions that occur when workers do not receive their legally or contractually promised wages.

Common forms of wage theft are:

non-payment of overtime
not giving workers their last paycheck after a worker leaves a job
not paying for all the hours worked
not paying minimum wage
not paying a worker at all

Working off the clock, stealing tips, not paying overtime, or misclassifying workers are just a few ways dishonest employers might steal wages. It's time to put a stop to that.

[snip][end]

Seems like it would go much deeper than that when one simply adds in the disproportionate use of law enforcement against robberies, while not doing much to stop wage theft.

How many hundreds of millions would that add up to?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

That wage theft amount would not pay for one new F-22 fighter.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:33 pm 
Policy Wonk

Gas expert: Snyder's emergency declaration won't impact prices

Quote:
........"The executive order suspends state and federal regulations related to hours-of-service for motor carriers and drivers transporting all transportation fuels within Michigan, enabling these individuals to exceed the number of hours and consecutive days in which they can operate a commercial motor vehicle," the release reads..........

So I guess the logic is drowsy and aggravated, drivers carrying large loads of fuel during the holiday traffic increase will keep fuel prices down.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

That wage theft amount would not pay for one new F-22 fighter.

But it would feed hungry workers.

Gotta love your crocodile tears in this thread, when in the thread about robots replacing McDonald's workers, you are cheering the corporations threatening American workers to bow down and take the crumbs from the corporations or lose their jobs.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Thanks for the luvvie.

Two cases are different, of course.

If wages are being stolen or otherwise unjustly garnished that is clearly reprehensible, actionable, and cause for punitive retribution.

If progressive social policy results in displacement of workers by technology, that is progress.

Do you see the difference?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

When I worked for my uncles, I sometimes worked off the clock (after the store closed). I got paid with free beer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Among the more important ways Americans gain economic security is through small business start ups, both starting them and working for them. However:

The number of new businesses in the US is falling off a cliff

The Economic Innovation Group (EIG) today released a report entitled, “The New Map of Economic Growth and Recovery,” which examines how new business formation and job creation in the current economic recovery stacks up to past recoveries. The findings show a dramatic increase in the geographic concentration of business and job growth and a national collapse in new business creation.

“The startup-less recovery should serve as a wake up call to policymakers,” said John Lettieri, EIG cofounder and senior director for policy and strategy. “The U.S. is entering an era in which growing geographic disparities and a missing generation of new enterprises could threaten access to opportunity for millions of Americans.”

This study relies on the recently released U.S. Census Bureau’s County Business Patterns program, and it is a first look at how the emerging landscape of the U.S. economic recovery from the Great Recession compares to previous post-recession recoveries in the 1990s and 2000s. The report reveals a stark transformation of the economic outlook for thousands of American communities.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Fed asked respondents how they would pay for a $400 emergency. The answer: 47 percent of respondents said that either they would cover the expense by borrowing or selling something, or they would not be able to come up with the $400 at all. Four hundred dollars! Who knew?

The Secret Shame of Middle-Class Americans

Many of us, it turns out, are living in a more or less continual state of financial peril. So if you really want to know why there is such deep economic discontent in America today, even when many indicators say the country is heading in the right direction, ask a member of that 47 percent.

This means that half of all Americans are basically flat broke. With the latest jobs report impacting, the old phraseIt's the economy, stupid, is going to be the driving force of this election, even if the froth of personality cult conflict controls the surface.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Five Causes of Wage Stagnation in the United States
http://www.aflcio.org/Blog/Economy/Five ... ted-States

1. The abandonment of full employment.
2. Declining union density: As extreme pro-business interests have pushed policies that lower union membership, the wages of low- and middle-wage workers have stagnated. Higher unionization leads to higher wages, and the decrease in unionization has led to the opposite effect. The decline in the density of workers covered by collective bargaining agreements not only has weakened the ability of unionized workers to fight for their own wages and benefits, but also their ability to set higher standards for nonunion workers. EPI notes: "The decline of unions can explain about a third of the entire growth of wage inequality among men and around a fifth of the growth among women from 1973 to 2007." Read much more about the connection between the decline of collective bargaining and wage stagnation.
3. Changes in labor market policies and business practices: EPI argues: "A range of changes in what we call labor market policies and business practices have weakened wage growth in recent decades." Among the numerous changes they describe include: the lowering of the inflation-adjusted value of the federal minimum wage, the decrease in overtime eligibility for workers, increasing wage theft (particularly affecting immigrant workers), misclassification of workers as independent contractors, and declining budgets and staff for government agencies that enforce labor standards.
4. Deregulation of the finance industry and the unleashing of CEOs
5. Globalization policies

I'll continue to emphasize 2 and 3, as it is the captains of industry who have attacked the ability for workers to organize in labor unions, and who continue to fail to track productivity gains with wage increases, instead keeping those profits for themselves and shareholders. Besides engaging in outright wage theft.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

Maybe we all screwed up. Maybe the 47 percent of American adults who would have trouble with a $400 emergency should have done things differently and more rationally. Maybe we all lived more grandly than we should have. But I doubt that brushstroke should be applied so broadly. Many middle-class wage earners are victims of the economy, and, perhaps, of that great, glowing, irresistible American promise that has been drummed into our heads since birth: Just work hard and you can have it all.

from the article cited.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Among the more important ways Americans gain economic security is through small business start ups, both starting them and working for them. However:

The number of new businesses in the US is falling off a cliff

The Economic Innovation Group (EIG) today released a report entitled, “The New Map of Economic Growth and Recovery,” which examines how new business formation and job creation in the current economic recovery stacks up to past recoveries. The findings show a dramatic increase in the geographic concentration of business and job growth and a national collapse in new business creation.

“The startup-less recovery should serve as a wake up call to policymakers,” said John Lettieri, EIG cofounder and senior director for policy and strategy. “The U.S. is entering an era in which growing geographic disparities and a missing generation of new enterprises could threaten access to opportunity for millions of Americans.”

This study relies on the recently released U.S. Census Bureau’s County Business Patterns program, and it is a first look at how the emerging landscape of the U.S. economic recovery from the Great Recession compares to previous post-recession recoveries in the 1990s and 2000s. The report reveals a stark transformation of the economic outlook for thousands of American communities.

Of course. Because of the continued rise and power of corporations, it's much harder to start a small business. The corporations work to crush any competition they can. And how does a retailer justify the start-up costs when they have to compete with new tech like Amazon.com?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

Would you like to outlaw Amazon?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next