RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Don't tell me what to do. You are not a mod. You went all Sarah Palin with that. :lol: ;)

No, that wasn't an order. Just advice to try to act like an adult.
Quote:
Couldn't help noticing you joined guitarcentersucks.com. How's that going?

Nope, not me. I'm not in the market for equipment, anyway. But if I were, I'd find a local store. I'm not interested in giving Bain money.

But I did a video some time back, and a band was playing, so I included them in. After seeing the video, they wanted me to make a music video for them. But, I was leaving the next day, but I can't say I wasn't tempted! I enjoyed doing the band thing, even though I wasn't the talent, I was the sound guy and manager. But it was fun. Great experience.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yep, but you don't know if you made the best buy, because the salespeople are there to get as much money from you as possible.

Maybe with some salespeople. Not from me. I talk to people and see what they need and sell them what will work best for them. This way they always come back and buy from me because they know I'm not there to soak them for every penny. You will always do better that way.
Quote:
We didn't have anyone trying to sell us the latest mixing boards. They said, "hey, we've got a great used 12-channel that will work great for you guys, the amp's built in" They were always on the lookout for deals for us. I think we paid $50 for our snake, and it was a great 50 footer. I think about the only things we bought new were the Shure 57's and 58's, mic cables and mic stands. Now that I think about it, a couple of the Shures were used, too.

For the most part powered mixers suck. Powered speakers is the way to go. QSC K-12's will never disappoint. When it comes to mics and cables, Sennheiser mics and Mogami cables are the only way to go.
Never buy a used mic. That's just gross.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Maybe with some salespeople. Not from me. I talk to people and see what they need and sell them what will work best for them. This way they always come back and buy from me because they know I'm not there to soak them for every penny. You will always do better that way.

For the most part powered mixers suck. Powered speakers is the way to go. QSC K-12's will never disappoint. When it comes to mics and cables, Sennheiser mics and Mogami cables are the only way to go.
Never buy a used mic. That's just gross.

What's wrong with a used 57? It's on an instrument. But geeze, we had five people, all great vocalists. You had to cut costs somewhere! I think the speakers and mics were our biggest outlay at first. I can't remember how much it all cost. But we made enough to pay our expenses, after the first year, and we made all the first year's money back after CD sales and such. That was one hassle back then - you had to get about 2,000 CDs at a time to get the cost down. Now you can make them one at a time.

Our powered mixer, and I think we paid a hundred bucks, lasted quite a while, then we upgraded, got better equipment. But it did quite well when we were starting. Speakers...speakers... I'm trying to remember. I think they were Peavys, the kind you put on a stand. Small monitors. After all, we were an acoustic band that didn't play big venues. Small bars and such. But we always packed them in. We did a big festival, and rented a bus, sold tickets, and took our fans with us. We had forty fans wearing our t-shirts at the festival - they couldn't believe it! It was fun while it lasted.

I did save and save and bought my then-girlfriend a beautiful Ovation thin acoustic-electric, cost me a pile. I'm sure her husband enjoys hearing her play it... :loser:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

What's wrong with a used 57? It's on an instrument. But geeze, we had five people, all great vocalists. You had to cut costs somewhere! I think the speakers and mics were our biggest outlay at first. I can't remember how much it all cost. But we made enough to pay our expenses, after the first year, and we made all the first year's money back after CD sales and such. That was one hassle back then - you had to get about 2,000 CDs at a time to get the cost down. Now you can make them one at a time.

Used mics are fine for amps, but not for singing. We played at a festival and we had to use a backline. The mic I used smelled bad. Real bad.
Making and marketing your own music is the only way to go. I have a friend who makes copies of our 4th album for me real cheap. It's good to have friends.
Quote:
Our powered mixer, and I think we paid a hundred bucks, lasted quite a while, then we upgraded, got better equipment. But it did quite well when we were starting. Speakers...speakers... I'm trying to remember. I think they were Peavys, the kind you put on a stand. Small monitors. After all, we were an acoustic band that didn't play big venues. Small bars and such. But we always packed them in. We did a big festival, and rented a bus, sold tickets, and took our fans with us. We had forty fans wearing our t-shirts at the festival - they couldn't believe it! It was fun while it lasted.

I love touring. Hopefully next year I'm taking gig leave to go out and support our next album. There is nothing better than living on the road.
Quote:
I did save and save and bought my then-girlfriend a beautiful Ovation thin acoustic-electric, cost me a pile. I'm sure her husband enjoys hearing her play it... :loser:

Should have kept that guitar ;) Speaking of which I old a drum kit to an ex heroin addict. He was 3 days straight. He wanted it to help him get and stay clean. I have never had so much fun discounting gear. He left with a tear in his eyes but an optimistic attitude. One of the rewards of working where I do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Nope. Not how I'm built. It was given to her, not loaned. We were together for several years after I gave it to her. She loved it, and we didn't break up hating each other. It was not mine to take back.

But I can still feel like an idiot about it... She also wrecked my truck after we broke up... and I didn't have full coverage...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5