Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: NAFTA on Steroids---TPP
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Dennis Trainer (AKA the Hermit) talks about the new trade policy being discussed under the radar by our so-called representatives and corporate CEO's. It's called the Trans-Atlantic Trade Policy and it will be all the things NAFTA was and is and combine it with "corporate personhood." Wikileaks has exposed it's most damaging aspects. It will pretty much destroy national sovereignty and hope for secure employment.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

Here's a video I did highlighting a website that exposes all the horrible things about the TPP.

http://www.exposethetpp.org/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Senator Angus King in reply to me about TPP

Dear Rita,

Thank you for contacting me to share your opinion about the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) treaty negotiations. I am deeply concerned about the TPP's effect on Maine businesses, families, and communities, and am working hard to ensure that our state is not adversely impacted. Any trade agreement that the United States reaches with TPP negotiating partners would have to be approved by Congress. Know this: I will not support any agreement that I believe would bring harm to Maine.

Unfortunately for Maine, our country's free trade agreements have too often allowed new participants into our markets who are not held to the same standards and rules as Maine businesses. Over the last several decades, our trade policies have produced reverse incentives for U.S. businesses to off-shore jobs, contributing to the hollowing out of the American economy and sharp, harmful declines in U.S. manufacturing.

I worry that the TPP will be another in a recent series of trade agreements that leaves Maine factories shuttered, workers unemployed, and families struggling. During my Senate campaign, I visited the New Balance facility in Skowhegan, Maine, to talk to workers about how the TPP's proposal to eliminate duties on imported footwear would have severe consequences for the company and for Maine. Since assuming office in January 2013, I have formally requested that United States Trade Representative (USTR) Ambassador Ron Kirk forego any discussion during the TPP negotiations of ending rubber and plastic footwear tariffs because of the potentially catastrophic result it could have for New Balance and its employees. I continue to follow up with his successor at the USTR to reiterate my concerns and request periodic updates on the negotiations.

The ongoing TPP negotiations remain one of my top concerns. Thank you for reaching out to me on this important topic, and please know that I am monitoring the situation closely with an eye toward effects any such agreement would have on the people of this country and, most importantly, on the people of Maine.

Best Regards,

ANGUS S. KING, JR.
United States Senator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

this whole thing is troubling and the only ones who benefit are the kocks and their ilk.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

globalization doesnt have to mean letting the kocks remove all the resources from one country
to their own pockets. but, they are addicts.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Did I read correctly that TPP bombed at some trade conference and it's at least temporarily dead?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

Did I read correctly that TPP bombed at some trade conference and it's at least temporarily dead?

Yes, temporarily.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

Lori Wallach, expert on the TPP, gives an overview of what the the TPP and what fast tracking is. It also tramples on domestic laws and allows corporations to set new international laws regarding things such as the environment and investing and allows for more offshoring of jobs for slave labor.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

:clap:

Quote:
WASHINGTON DC -- Representative Mike Michaud (D-Maine), Chairman of the House Trade Working Group, issued the following statement today in response to the introduction of legislation by Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus and Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp granting the president “fast track” authority, which provides for preferential and expedited congressional consideration of trade agreements:

“The Baucus-Camp bill is a disappointing repeat of failed trade policy from 2002 that will continue the trends of growing trade deficits, a declining manufacturing sector, and the offshoring of American jobs. This bill may represent the ideas of the two committee chairmen, but it does not reflect Americans’ views on trade and falls far short of being a truly bipartisan bill. That’s why I will oppose it.

“The bill misses an opportunity to raise the standards established by Congress that our trade negotiators must meet, and it neglects to include real enforcement of these standards. It also fails to improve transparency and enhance congressional consultations by the Administration, both of which are critical for Congress to maintain its constitutional authority over trade policy.

“We know what happens when Congress passes this type of legislation granting fast track. Factories close, plants move overseas, and our workers are left behind. We simply can’t afford to repeat the mistakes of the past.”

http://michaud.house.gov/press-release/ ... sideration

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Please sign Rep. Michaud's petition to stop the fast track of the TPP

http://pac.petitions.moveon.org/sign/do ... 73-dIUj5Ux

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:20 am 
Policy Wonk

Somewhere I read that Harry Reid will never let this come to the Senate floor for a vote. Seems to be some good momentum moving forward to kill this.

"A vote for ANY republican is a vote to destroy the middle class and our democracy".

Righties hate democracy because they can not honestly win national elections with their current message.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:25 am 
Board Emeritus

Somewhere I read that Harry Reid will never let this come to the Senate floor for a vote. Seems to be some good momentum moving forward to kill this.

Let's hope that momentum stays and goes to the House. But it may be an upward battle since it's run by the republicans.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

Michael Froman, U.S. trade rep., used to work for Citigroup and got a $4 mil. exit bonus. So does that mean Froman will in turn make sure Citigroup makes a profit without government regulations? OF COURSE!!

This is just one Obama appointee who is pushing for the TPP that came from huge banks and corporations that got a golden parachute.

Change we can believe in?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have to commend Ed Schultz for his staying on this issue whereas it's pretty much been ignored by the rest of the msm. The talk now is fast-tracking, which is there will be no debate or chance to change any aspect of this trade policy.

"Our constitutional authority says that we are engaged, or supposed to be engaged, on treaties and trade agreements...and we are not!" ---Rep. Rosa DeLauro (CT)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:27 am 
Board Emeritus

Pharmaceutical industries make up half of all lobbying efforts for the TPP. See the list of the biggest offenders here

http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2014 ... tpp-lobby/

Drug companies want to eliminate generic brands and hold on to their patents. Even scarier than wanting to eliminate competition is they would have control over regulations.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://plus.google.com/104588908186808 ... X2Mrioa2SQ

Ed Schultz had a great segment on it tonight. When it's available on streaming, I'll post it.

Pres. Obama insists that the rules will be written so that China can't overstep our authority. But if they have to do that, doesn't that mean it's a vulnerable POS to begin with? Why is Obama doing this? The republicans, including Rand Paul, are all for it. On that alone, it should be obvious it's a POS.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

Reply from my GOP Congresswoman about TPP.

Thank you for contacting my office regarding Trade Promotion Authority (TPA), also known as fast track authority. It is an honor to represent the people of Eastern Washington and I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

At a time when our economy is experiencing a slow recovery and unemployment remains near record levels, we must look at ways to open markets, reduce tariffs, and strengthen our strategic alliances. TPA is the authority Congress grants to the President to enter into certain trade agreements, and to have their implementing bills given a straight up-or-down vote, provided the President follows certain agreed upon parameters throughout the negotiations. TPA allows Congress to exercise its constitutional authority over trade, while giving the President added negotiating leverage by assuring U.S. trade partners that agreements will not be altered during the approval process.

As you may be aware, the U.S. has an ambitious trade agenda for the coming year, including the finalization of the Trans-Pacific Partnership. In Eastern Washington, trade is responsible for creating as many as one out of every three jobs and contributes more than $4 billion to the state economy. These are the kinds of policies that will bring economic stability to Eastern Washington and our nation. Be assured, I will keep your views in mind as legislation involving trade comes before me in the House.

Thank you again for contacting me on this important issue. As your Representative in Congress, I am committed to putting the best interests of Eastern Washington first. I invite you to visit my website at http://www.mcmorrisrodgers.house.gov for additional information or to sign up for my e-newsletter. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Best Wishes,
Cathy McMorris Rodgers
Member of Congress

Image you Cathy. LIAR!

I remember after NAFTA passed going to a local home center (Lowe's) and seeing OSB (Oriented Strand Board) from Canada. Guess what? There was a Louisiana Pacific plant about 30 miles across the border in Idaho. Made the exact same product. Sure TPP will help. Assholes!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

I lost a job because of NAFTA. It was devastating!

My newly elected rep Bruce Poliquin is a tea partier. I contacted him about not fast-tracking it, but haven't received a response yet. My senator Angus King doesn't support it. Not sure about Susan Collins, but being a republican.... :?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

I lost a job because of NAFTA. It was devastating!

My newly elected rep Bruce Poliquin is a tea partier. I contacted him about not fast-tracking it, but haven't received a response yet. My senator Angus King doesn't support it. Not sure about Susan Collins, but being a republican.... :?

I'm not sure how my Senators (both Democrats) stand. I've signed a shitload of petitions against TPP. From Sherrod Brown, Keith Ellison and Bernie Sanders. That's not counting the ones from Credo, KOS and others. That's my McMorris Rogers contacted me. Still haven't heard anything from Murray or Cantwell. :x

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:47 am 
Board Emeritus

this new nafta on steroids is going to make use of the port expansion in coosBayOR,
where the new pipeline No One Ever Heard of is going in.
while all eyes were on keystone they slipped the "pacific connector" in
and msms never even noticed.

so i think this tpp deal is more about the west coast than east, but i could be wrong.
its not going to help anyone Here in 'murica.

they keep planning to shove natgas on other countries whether they think they want
it or not. its called Aid. we force them to take the shit from the existing extraction industries
come hell or high water.
why is this happening when solar has become so cheap, when wind turbines have become
so res/mobile.

this is such total planned obsolescence.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

im shocked this thread goes back so far and we're still treading water.
its what wallst does....til they get what they want.
...and they will get what they want.

they will continue to extract and set fire to this land and any other that they get to.
#yafukinmoochers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

ed is saying if this one goes thru they wont need any others.
they will have locked the entire planet into a wallst hedgie fundie.

welcome home wurld.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

....'it would deny congress ability to change any of it.'...

thats about as corporate as it gets. how could wallst top that?....

i guess they could mow us all down like in terminator...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Here's the link to The Ed Schultz Show segment from the 17th

http://www.msnbc.com/the-ed-show/watch/ ... 9927491836

It's disheartening that a democrat like Barack Obama is pushing for it when his democratic predecessor passed a trade deal that costs millions of Americans their jobs, including mine. :evil:

Politicians like Orrin Hatch and Paul Ryan are touting it as a job creator. They said the same thing about NAFTA. Ross Perot warned about it, and he was right. I voted for him for that reason. The most important thing to boost our economy is JOBS JOBS JOBS! And here in the U.S.

Obama says critics like Elizabeth Warren and Sherrod Browne are wrong. But Obama doesn't go into detail what the bill will do for the workers. How will it keep jobs here or bring jobs back? We don't know because the public doesn't have access to it. This is the reason for the fast=tracking it.

As Ed said, no free trade deal ended in a jobs gain, but just the opposite.

Its because of politicians like Barack Obama and Bill Clinton that I have trust issues regarding the democrats.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

so how can O talk about, doing something about, (god this is so redundant..)...the climate
at the same time he is gungho for these trade extraction agreements....

thats schizo.