What was Bill Russell's life like while he was racking up 11 rings? His daughter writes:

News and events of the day
gounion

Re: What was Bill Russell's life like while he was racking up 11 rings? His daughter writes:

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:10 am You are a classy guy.
Thank you. I certainly don't vote for racists, as you do. I guess it's in your own self-interest to vote the racist ticket, isn't it?
Libertas

Re: What was Bill Russell's life like while he was racking up 11 rings? His daughter writes:

Post by Libertas »

Ladies night was an issue too, I see...
I sigh in your general direction.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:12 pm Thank you. I certainly don't vote for racists, as you do. I guess it's in your own self-interest to vote the racist ticket, isn't it?
I was just paying tribute to a well loved and respected NBA payers and broadcaster. That’s all.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:14 pm I was just paying tribute to a well loved and respected NBA payers and broadcaster. That’s all.
Oh, so you want to ignore his human rights activism side, which was his actual life's work? I'm not surprised.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:05 pm Oh, so you want to ignore his human rights activism side, which was his actual life's work? I'm not surprised.
Not ignoring anything. Just paying my respects.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:45 pm Not ignoring anything. Just paying my respects.
But of course Russell was against much of what you're for. You're always on the wrong side, aren't you?
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:01 pm But of course Russell was against much of what you're for. You're always on the wrong side, aren't you?
As long as the Black person was respectable to mr white man, they were tolerated. They were allowed to do their comedy or sport or stage performance as long as they didnt mouth off or expect to eat in the same restaurant mr white man did, or sleep in the same hotel.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:01 pm But of course Russell was against much of what you're for. You're always on the wrong side, aren't you?
So you say.

Perhaps we can agree he was a well loved and respected man. Perhaps?
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:14 pm So you say.

Perhaps we can agree he was a well loved and respected man. Perhaps?
He was respect because of what he stood for. For instance, in the last few years, he stood for Black Lives Matter, and against the racism of the right.

Maybe you should think about his life and what he stood for, and how it's against what YOU stand for.

But that's your self-interest, right?
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:26 pm He was respect because of what he stood for. For instance, in the last few years, he stood for Black Lives Matter, and against the racism of the right.

Maybe you should think about his life and what he stood for, and how it's against what YOU stand for.

But that's your self-interest, right?
I’m interested in paying respects to the man. Obviously you have another agenda In which I have no interest.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:44 pm I’m interested in paying respects to the man. Obviously you have another agenda In which I have no interest.
So you're just talking bullshit. Got it.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:14 pm I was just paying tribute to a well loved and respected NBA payers and broadcaster. That’s all.
Didn't answer the question.

Why do you vote for racists to benefit yourself?

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Bludogdem »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:58 am Bill Russell was a class act. I don’t think I have ever heard a bad word said about the man. Well liked. Well respected. A life well lived. RIP
He was amazing to watch live. Saw him play maybe 15 times from 63 to 67. In the playoffs in 63, 64 , and 66. He was an incredible force. 23 to 28 rebounds per game were normal. Plus his hook shot. It was so exciting. Oh yeah, and so was Oscar.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:44 pm I’m interested in paying respects to the man. Obviously you have another agenda In which I have no interest.
Russell is well-known for his anti-racist and anti-white-supremacy work.

I get that conservative whites consider this a mere "agenda" to dismiss and ignore.

But the dismissal and ignorance on your part looks really desperate.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:17 pm He was amazing to watch live. Saw him play maybe 15 times from 63 to 67. In the playoffs in 63, 64 , and 66. He was an incredible force. 23 to 28 rebounds per game were normal. Plus his hook shot. It was so exciting. Oh yeah, and so was Oscar.
People like you would have had Bill Russell hung from a tree.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Witness the RFL equivalent of "shut up and dribble."

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:17 pm He was amazing to watch live. Saw him play maybe 15 times from 63 to 67. In the playoffs in 63, 64 , and 66. He was an incredible force. 23 to 28 rebounds per game were normal. Plus his hook shot. It was so exciting. Oh yeah, and so was Oscar.
Gee, I figured you coached him too. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:20 pm Witness the RFL equivalent of "shut up and dribble."
This is where a decent person would say something like:

"You know what, you are right, I am wrong. I am missing the point if I admire him for not being uppity (as racists would say) when he was a player and instead I should now realize what his real life work is and how I have hindered that, I will stop now! Thanks for educating me."

That is what I would say at this point if i was the con. Seriously.
Last edited by Libertas on Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:51 pm Gee, I figured you coached him too. :lol: :lol: :lol:
In the real world, my stock broker up till last year was a former NBA player. I mean he retired a year ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lambert_(basketball)
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:58 pm This is where a decent person would say something like:

"You know what, you are right, I am wrong. I am missing the point if I admire him for not being uppity (as racists would say) when he was a player and instead I should now realize what his real life work is and how I have hindered that, I will stop now! Thanks for educating me."

That is what I would say at this point if i was the con. Seriously.
Well..conservatives are ineducable, so...

These same exact a-holes were the ones freaking out about Colin taking a simple knee before games and putting him down for his win-lose record, as if that's relevant to j.s.

It was only relevant to them because the very idea of Black protest makes them get out the hemp rope, and they honestly still believe we're supposed to be grateful for their murderous white-supremacist institutions.

That's the "agenda."

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:51 pm Gee, I figured you coached him too. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I’ve coached kids who became pro athletes.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:15 pm I’ve coached kids who became pro athletes.
Why of COURSE you have! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You sure do have fun pretending on the internet, don't you?
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:15 pm I’ve coached kids who became pro athletes.
Bill Russell's Biggest Wins Were Against the NBA - Bleacher Report
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, in a statement, alluded to Russell's civil rights legacy and relevance in the culture writ large: "The countless accolades that he earned for his storied career with the Boston Celtics … only begin to tell the story of Bill's immense impact on our league and broader society."

But it's also worth focusing on the power dynamics he leveraged inside the NBA at a time when labor rights for Black players were hardly a given. In a league where more than 70 percent of its players are Black, Russell's push for change often meant confronting the league's uncomfortable truths regarding race and labor rights.

The optics at the time were too much for Bill Russell to ignore or stay quiet. When he joined the Boston Celtics in 1956, he was the only Black man on the team. A few years later, Russell noticed the number of Black players on the Celtics roster had improved, but the league as a whole showed minimal growth.

This did not sit well with Russell, who began to complain about the league's cap on the number of Black players allowed to play in the NBA.

"That complaint led to change," Russell wrote in a first-person account that appeared in Slam Magazine.
This is why you guys don't want actual history taught in public schools. The idea of children learning that they can change you guys' sh!tty social systems is an existential threat, like Bill Russell was.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:44 pm I’m interested in paying respects to the man.
Pay your respects to this. As referenced in the OP,

Bill Russell’s Beliefs Put Him Under FBI Surveillance - Sportscasting
Bill Russell’s outspoken beliefs about racism made him an unpopular figure, even in a seemingly liberal city like Boston. The situation was made even worse by the fact that Russell had a standoffish nature with fans and media members.

For instance, throughout his career Russell refused to sign autographs. He didn’t feel it was his job to provide a role model for children or to make nice with often openly racist fans.

The white establishment found that attitude unforgivable, and only increased the amount of contempt they directed at Russell. Even more unbelievably, Russell’s attitude made him the target of surveillance by the Federal Bureau of Investigations. The FBI kept an open file on Russell for many years.
White conservatism chews people up and spits them out, starting with yourselves. What a disgrace.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

"That's all"

So you're saying that the ONLY thing you are praising him for is for being a player and broadcaster. You DON'T praise him for his life's work. Here's some of it - Bill Russell's Biggest Wins Were Against the NBA:
The optics at the time were too much for Bill Russell to ignore or stay quiet. When he joined the Boston Celtics in 1956, he was the only Black man on the team. A few years later, Russell noticed the number of Black players on the Celtics roster had improved, but the league as a whole showed minimal growth.

This did not sit well with Russell, who began to complain about the league's cap on the number of Black players allowed to play in the NBA.

"That complaint led to change," Russell wrote in a first-person account that appeared in Slam Magazine.

In 1964 at the All-Star Game in Boston, he and his fellow All-Stars won players a pension plan, something the NBA had balked at previously.

This particular All-Star Game was more star-studded than most with 17 future Hall of Famers and the first time the game would be on live television.

Russell knew this group had leverage and remained steadfast in his willingness to boycott the game altogether. The vote was 11-9 in favor of the boycott, and then-NBA Commissioner Walter Kennedy agreed to their demands just minutes before tipoff.

While most of Russell's activism involved bettering life for himself and other NBA players, he also gave his support to other Black athletes during the 1960s.

In 1967, Russell joined several prominent athletes—including Lew Alcindor (who later changed his name to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) and Jim Brown—in Cleveland to support Muhammad Ali, who announced he would not serve in the Vietnam War.

Ali's opposition to the war put him at odds with a large swath of society. By supporting Ali, Russell was well aware of the potential backlash he might receive.
He also took a knee in support of Colin Kaepernick, and supported the Black Lives Matter movement, both actions, of course, you wouldn't support.

THESE are the important things that Bill Russell did, and he showed the courage to make the world a better place. But you ONLY praise him for being a "Player and broadcaster". I also note that you ONLY want to praise him as a player and broadcaster, and you omit the fact that he had a great coaching career too as the first black coach in NBA history, and he has been admitted to the NBA Hall of Fame TWICE, both as a coach and a player. Maybe you should check out his wikipedia page to find out the REAL history of Bill Russell.

But we can all see why you ONLY praise him as a player and broadcaster, and NOTHING ELSE.