New Laws in California for 2022

News and events of the day
Number6

New Laws in California for 2022

Post by Number6 »

With the New Year comes new laws and in California, here are eight new laws that take effect today.

1. Stripping bad cops of their badges. This law prevents a bad cop from being hired in an other California police department.
I agree with this law so bad cops can't hide after being fired or resign to avoid disciplinary action and then move to another city and get hired there. A bad cop in one city that moves to another city is still a bad cop.

2. Limiting single family housing. California needs between 3 and 4 million housing units and this law will eliminate single house zones permitting a lot to have two or more houses, depending upon the size of the lot, on it.
I get the need for more housing but part of the problem, as I see it, is in California has dense housing in that the homes are close together. Splitting lots into a number of housing units increases density and congestion. It will allow developers to but properties, raze them, and then build multiple houses on the same lot.

3. Ban on non-disclosure agreements. Better known as NDAs, something Trump is famous for using, it would prevent employers and landlords from prevent others from speaking out about harassment/discrimination or illegal activities.
I agree with this law. NDAs only protect those who do wrong.

4. Recycling food wastes and limiting recycling labels. To reduce food wastes in landfills and to prevent methane gases from being produced/releases from landfills, Californians will have to dispose of food wastes in their organic waste bins like the ones we use for lawn clippings. The plastic packaging that bears the recycling symbol doesn't really mean it's recyclable in that most of them end up in landfills. The law makes it so if a plastic is not environmentally recyclable then it cannot carry the recycling label.
I don't have much of a problem with either parts of this law. The only thing is recycling organic food waste. Most food waste goes in the trash can and recycling it would be more difficult for apartment dwellers and condo residents by having them to store the waste food indoors until they can dispose of it in the organic recycling bins. Our local refuse company is going to supply household with a small container and I'll get one but space for it is limited.

5. Quicker follow-up for mental health care. This requires insurance companies to offer patients 10 business days for non-urgent care and sooner for more urgent care. Insurers can push back the times if a clinician determines the wait will not determental to the patient.
I totally support this law. It sound reasonable and is in the best interest of the patient.

6. Outlaws condom "stealthing." Condom "stealthing" is when the person removes the condom during sex without verbal consent from the other person. Victims can sue for damages in civil court.
To me, this is a no-brainer.

7. Minimum wage for garment workers. Garment workers who are paid by the number of pieces they produce can earn as low as $3 an hour. This bill would require garment workers to be paid an hourly wage. It would also hold retailers jointly responsible for ensuring their suppliers in the supply chain are paying the hourly wage.
My concern for this law would be with the small retailer like a local clothing store who don't have the resources to ensure the manufacturers are paying hourly wages. Overall, I think this is a good law and I hope there are provisions protecting the small retailers.

8. Protects protestors seeking police reform and the reporters who cover the protests. Police are barred from using rubber bullets and tear gas unless it's to bring a life threatening situation under control and publicly report when they use them. The police cannot arrest or interfere with reporters doing their job.
Peaceful protest should be protected from abuse by the police. This law doesn't stop the police from using rubber bullets or tear gas if the situation warrants it but it does prevent them from attacking peaceful protestors as well as protecting reporters covering the protests.
CalMatters
When you vote left, you vote right.
ZoWie

Re: New Laws in California for 2022

Post by ZoWie »

I mentioned the housing law. If it's not fought in court, we're out of here. That's curtains for the late great El Lay, hope of the 1950s, shitpile of the 2020s.

Trust me, I understand this stuff. It won't help the homeless problem AT ALL. It's not for them, it's for real estate speculators to turn the city into New York, but without the dense transit infrastructure that allows New York to function. Yeah, they're building subways like crazy, but the physical layout is not conducive to that model AT ALL. El Lay will get what it deserves, and people will flee it in bigger droves than we see exiting New York right now.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Number6

Re: New Laws in California for 2022

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:22 pm I mentioned the housing law. If it's not fought in court, we're out of here. That's curtains for the late great El Lay, hope of the 1950s, shitpile of the 2020s.

Trust me, I understand this stuff. It won't help the homeless problem AT ALL. It's not for them, it's for real estate speculators to turn the city into Manhattan without the transit infrastructure. El Lay will get what it deserves, and people will flee it in bigger droves than we see exiting New York right now.
I agree, it's not to help the homeless. When you consider California, the bulk of the population lives in Southern California from L.A. county to the Mexican border and from the ocean to the mountains. That's a finite space and housing developments have been moving eastward toward the mountains. Now, there's not much open space left to develop so they have to crowd more and more people into what existing space they now have. That means a single-family house could become a an apartment or condo complex. Multiply this a thousand or ten thousand times and the character of neighborhoods is destroyed. The only place left is to build bigger and higher and with California's history of earthquakes that's not a good idea.
When you vote left, you vote right.