Tennessee County bans prize-wining "Maus"

News and events of the day
gounion

Tennessee County bans prize-wining "Maus"

Post by gounion »

This is OUTRAGEOUS. the McMinn County school board has banned MAUS, a Pulitzer Prize winning graphic novel. It's about the holocaust with the Jews as mice and the Germans as cats.

I read it in the late 80's or maybe early 90's and it affected me deeply. It was a master work, and made you feel the enormity of what happened.

Not for children, but it should be in high school libraries for sure.

This is censorship, pure and simple.

JoeMemphis, we told you so.
carmenjonze

Re: Tennessee County bans prize-wining "Maus"

Post by carmenjonze »

The same smaller, limited-government people crying cancel culture are the ones who have always used the government to cancel culture.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

It's all about canceling the voices of anyone teaching or even speaking of our real history. They don't want anyone to speak to the racism and antisemitism from the right.

And of course JoeMemphis and Glenn will give this thread a wide berth, because it's what they support.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:27 pm It's all about canceling the voices of anyone teaching or even speaking of our real history. They don't want anyone to speak to the racism and antisemitism from the right.

And of course JoeMemphis and Glenn will give this thread a wide berth, because it's what they support.
Well, they're confederate white supremacists. OMMV but I could never be friends with a white supremacist because for me, it's physically dangerous.

But these guys are fully on board with cancelling those voices and really, it's just about depleting public schools as much as possible. If trotting out commiebaiting rationales out of the 1930s to harass and fire teachers and target minority students is the bottom of the barrel they must once again scrape, these self-loathing cons have no problem once again debasing themselves in this way. They pull some version of this in every decade.

These people didn't have this problem with public schools when they were segregated AF, nor did they complain about paying the taxes they did in order to uphold a two-tiered society. Somehow, that government-rigged state of affairs was "natural order" to them.
They don't want anyone to speak to the racism and antisemitism from the right.
Very true. But this is a battle that the white-is-right has been losing for decades. Cat's out of the bag. There are hundreds of archives online and off that have the receipts, regardless of the latest archaic white-supremacist ploy they're trying to pull. Everybody knows about them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:20 pm This is OUTRAGEOUS. the McMinn County school board has banned MAUS, a Pulitzer Prize winning graphic novel. It's about the holocaust with the Jews as mice and the Germans as cats.

I read it in the late 80's or maybe early 90's and it affected me deeply. It was a master work, and made you feel the enormity of what happened.

Not for children, but it should be in high school libraries for sure.

This is censorship, pure and simple.

JoeMemphis, we told you so.
Told me what?
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:24 pmTold me what?
That the right-wing attacks were about banning any history they didn’t like.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:39 pm That the right-wing attacks were about banning any history they didn’t like.
It doesn't matter if they like it or not, they've lost the battle on God and gays and are losing the battle on guns so they have to have something new for their culture wars. This is their new Boogeyman to frighten the easily gullible and their intellectual midgets followers.
When you vote left, you vote right.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:39 pm That the right-wing attacks were about banning any history they didn’t like.
“Any” history? According to the article you posted, the school board decided not to use the book because of language and pictures. Now I dunno, they may have tons of other books on the Holocaust. I never read this book so I can’t really comment on the contents. I may not have opposed including it in the high school library. But I do think that local parents and taxpayers should have a say in what is taught in local schools. Since I have no children in school in Athens TN and I have never read this book, I really don’t have a dog in this fight.

I’m sure any kid with an interest in this book can easily download a copy from the internet.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:24 pmTold me what?
Read any critical race theory, yet?

Visited the 1619 website, yet?

You ever read that poem that starts out, "First they came for..."?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:49 pmI never read this book so I can’t really comment on the contents.
And yet here you are, stupid and fecklessly arrogant enough to actually rationalize the banning of a book you've never read, yourself.

You're even worse than the people in the 80s picketing The Last Temptation of Christ, a movie they never even saw.

Read that poem "First they came for," yet?
ut I do think that local parents and taxpayers should have a say in what is taught in local schools
Well this is a bit stripey lie, because you clearly don't think Jewish taxpayer parents, Black taxpayer parents, Latino taxpayer parents, or taxpaying parents who are LGBTQ or with LGBTQ students in the schools should have a say in what is taught.

This isn't even to mention those people who are taxpayers without kids, who support students, teachers, and the schoolboard members you dimwits have been threatening week after week for the past year.

You should be more honest and acknkowledge that you only care about the whims of white snowflake parents. This canard about "parents" is giving you away.
I’m sure any kid with an interest in this book can easily download a copy from the internet.
Conservative whites don't want their legacy of white supremacism taught in schools, and like you guys have done in the past, you're quite willing to get the government to implement authoritarian book-banning rules.

People like you are the reason the Third Reich as depicted in Maus, flourished in the first place.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:49 pm “Any” history? According to the article you posted, the school board decided not to use the book because of language and pictures. Now I dunno, they may have tons of other books on the Holocaust. I never read this book so I can’t really comment on the contents. I may not have opposed including it in the high school library. But I do think that local parents and taxpayers should have a say in what is taught in local schools. Since I have no children in school in Athens TN and I have never read this book, I really don’t have a dog in this fight.

Your favorite argument: Argument from Ignorance, which you have aplenty.

Maus isn't a history book, idiot. It's an allegory. I included the link to the word, in case you're unfamiliar with it.

It's an extremely powerful and moving story about hatred and what it does. It's told in a graphic comic-book form, with is a great way to connect with young people.

And even though it was award-winning and a best seller, I can understand that you never heard of it or read it, because that's knowledge - something you seemed to have spent your life running from.

And I doubt they have hardly ANY books about the holocaust, nor the civil rights movement in the school library, because after all, this is the south, and the fictional history of the Lost Cause is all they want to hear.

After all, we're so concerned about your fee-fees, aren't we?

carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:08 pm
So to me, the thing about this cartoon is that it's one thing to lampoon white-conservative hypocrisy and appropriation of the language of the left to silence the left. Thing is, though, it's not at all about feelings for them. If it were, they would not have a need to get the government to silence speech and curricula, and the people who teach it.

I mean, we saw what happened when somebody started a simple thread with the word "snowflake" in it. :problem:

But then the same authoritarians will then turn right around and talk loud about how small-government and liberty and freedom they are. Not when it comes to suppressing minorities, they're not.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:08 pm And I doubt they have hardly ANY books about the holocaust, nor the civil rights movement in the school library, because after all, this is the south, and the fictional history of the Lost Cause is all they want to hear.
No one will ever hear JoeMemphis sticking up for Jewish parents, nonwhite parents, or normal, liberal white parents' rights to dictate what is taught in "local schools."

Never. Only one type of parent matters to him.

And really, it's not even about parents. It's about getting back at integrated public schools and other public spaces.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

carmenjonze wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:23 pm So to me, the thing about this cartoon is that it's one thing to lampoon white-conservative hypocrisy and appropriation of the language of the left to silence the left. Thing is, though, it's not at all about feelings for them. If it were, they would not have a need to get the government to silence speech and curricula, and the people who teach it.

I mean, we saw what happened when somebody started a simple thread with the word "snowflake" in it. :problem:

But then the same authoritarians will then turn right around and talk loud about how small-government and liberty and freedom they are. Not when it comes to suppressing minorities, they're not.
Hiring thought police takes quite a LARGE government!

Of course, the cartoon obviously isn't taking them at their word their ACTUAL fee-fees are hurt, it's showing the pure falsity of their argument.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:30 pm Hiring thought police takes quite a LARGE government!

Of course, the cartoon obviously isn't taking them at their word their ACTUAL fee-fees are hurt, it's showing the pure falsity of their argument.
Jan. 6th being the exception that proves the rule, without thought police, speech police, book police, bedroom police, border police, religion police, morality police...authoritarians don't "feel" safe unless they're drowning in a sea of cops.

Neither do white supremacists and white nationalists.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:08 pm Your favorite argument: Argument from Ignorance, which you have aplenty.

Maus isn't a history book, idiot. It's an allegory. I included the link to the word, in case you're unfamiliar with it.

It's an extremely powerful and moving story about hatred and what it does. It's told in a graphic comic-book form, with is a great way to connect with young people.

And even though it was award-winning and a best seller, I can understand that you never heard of it or read it, because that's knowledge - something you seemed to have spent your life running from.

And I doubt they have hardly ANY books about the holocaust, nor the civil rights movement in the school library, because after all, this is the south, and the fictional history of the Lost Cause is all they want to hear.

After all, we're so concerned about your fee-fees, aren't we?

Well your post mentioned banning “any history”. I assumed since it was your post and you proclaimed that you had read the book, you would know what kind of book it was. Silly me. I took your word for it. Won’t make that mistake again.

So you are angry that school board didn’t share your opinion on the book in question? You admit that you have no idea what is in the actual library or what it actually taught in those schools. You assume you know based on a stereotype that fits your ideology.

Sorry this gets your underwear all in a bunch. Speaking of fee fees. Perhaps you should resist getting all worked up when you clearly don’t have all the facts.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:37 pm Well your post mentioned banning “any history”. I assumed since it was your post and you proclaimed that you had read the book, you would know what kind of book it was. Silly me. I took your word for it. Won’t make that mistake again.
Yeah, I read the book, you just can't understand plain English.
So you are angry that school board didn’t share your opinion on the book in question? You admit that you have no idea what is in the actual library or what it actually taught in those schools. You assume you know based on a stereotype that fits your ideology.

Sorry this gets your underwear all in a bunch. Speaking of fee fees. Perhaps you should resist getting all worked up when you clearly don’t have all the facts.
I said this is the kind of thing that would happen when the state passed a law that parent's could complain and get anything they didn't like banned from the schools. You said, oh, no, that would never happened.

But you SUPPORT that very thing, and you support banning and book burnings. Gives you fuzzy feelings, doesn't it?
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:37 pmSo you are angry that school board didn’t share your opinion on the book in question? \
Nice try soft-peddling a book-banning, but it's not about sharing/caring circles on various opinions, any more than it's about "parents" and the power to dictate curricula around social issues.

Funny, how you clowns freak TF out about temporary mask mandates during a pandemic that's killing off the citizens of this country, yet advocate the government permanently banning books you haven't even read, yourself.

You really should read Maus. You're in it.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

carmenjonze wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:46 pm Nice try soft-peddling a book-banning, but it's not about sharing/caring circles on various opinions, any more than it's about "parents" and the power to dictate curricula around social issues.

Funny, how you clowns freak TF out about temporary mask mandates during a pandemic that's killing off the citizens of this country, yet advocate the government permanently banning books you haven't even read, yourself.

You really should read Maus. You're in it.
It's interesting that Joe swears no knowledge of the book, but knows it can be downloaded online.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:50 pm It's interesting that Joe swears no knowledge of the book, but knows it can be downloaded online.
He's too stupid and lazy to even click once and download it, let alone sit down and actually read it and learn something about the world he lives in.

But he'll boast that he's never read it and doesn't know what's in it, like it's some badge of honor.

Internet literacy is dead. Incurious, morally depraved cons killed it.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:45 pm Yeah, I read the book, you just can't understand plain English.

I said this is the kind of thing that would happen when the state passed a law that parent's could complain and get anything they didn't like banned from the schools. You said, oh, no, that would never happened.

But you SUPPORT that very thing, and you support banning and book burnings. Gives you fuzzy feelings, doesn't it?
You mentioned banning history. That was you. According to you, it’s not a history book.

I never said any of the crap you claim. Having a say in what is taught in local schools doesn’t mean you get anything you want. It means that the people impacted by those decisions get input. That’s a far cry from what you claim. After all who do the schools serve? The local community and the students and citizens. They aren’t there to make you or me happy. That’s probably why they didn’t bother to ask you for your recommended library list. Sorry.

Once again, you have no idea what’s in the library or what is taught in that school. You are running around with your hair on fire based on your biased assumption. You go ahead. I’ll not be joining you.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:08 pm You mentioned banning history. That was you. According to you, it’s not a history book.
Here's the relevant part of my opening post: "MAUS, a Pulitzer Prize winning graphic novel. It's about the holocaust with the Jews as mice and the Germans as cats."

So you are so fucking dense you think that a book with Jews as mice and Germans as cats is history?

I guess you are.
I never said any of the crap you claim. Having a say in what is taught in local schools doesn’t mean you get anything you want. It means that the people impacted by those decisions get input. That’s a far cry from what you claim. After all who do the schools serve? The local community and the students and citizens. They aren’t there to make you or me happy. That’s probably why they didn’t bother to ask you for your recommended library list. Sorry.

Once again, you have no idea what’s in the library or what is taught in that school. You are running around with your hair on fire based on your biased assumption. You go ahead. I’ll not be joining you.
You're the one that told us the anti-crt law passed in Tennessee wouldn't be abused.

You want to tell me what this has to do with CRT?
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:08 pm You mentioned banning history. That was you. According to you, it’s not a history book.
It's a banned book. You guys are implementing these measures in locale after locale and state after state, which ban discussions of how you guys use the government to second-class everybody else.

It's also related to the law in your state that allows agencies that receive government munny to ban adoptions by Jewish couples. viewtopic.php?p=13688#p13688

For people who claim to be such staunch advocates of limited government, you sure do start salivating when it comes to authoritarian measures like banning books, banning religions like that stupid senator you vote for,
Having a say in what is taught in local schools doesn’t mean you get anything you want.
White conservative parents have never -- EVER -- been denied anything in this country, let alone "having a say in what is taught in local schools."

The concern here isn't even about "parents", and it sure as heck is not about any other "parents" "having a say in what is taught in local schools."

The goal is depleting public schools with 1930s-era ploys like commiebaiting and banning any talk about -- wait for it -- the 1940s-1970s.
Last edited by carmenjonze on Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:08 pm I’ll not be joining you.
Good. Please stay as far away from normal people as possible. Your way of life is extremely destructive.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:08 pmOnce again, you have no idea what’s in the library or what is taught in that school. You are running around with your hair on fire based on your biased assumption. You go ahead. I’ll not be joining you.
Here's what's funny. By your logic, you also have no clue what's in the libraries, or what's being taught. But YOU are supportive of the anti-CRT law passed in Tennessee.