RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:39 pm 
Policy Wonk

Centrist Democrats begin pushing back against Bernie Sanders, liberal wing

The high-profile stars of the Democratic Party’s populist wing have steered the agenda their way on Capitol Hill this year, but the fight over the party’s direction is far from settled.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... 3205c7e927

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

PowerPost at WP appears to be talking about Will Marshal and PPI, at progressive policy dot org. I image they're launching a new glossy web site.

This is what they were doing and saying over a year ago:

"Download Unleashing Innovation and Growth: A Progressive Alternative to Populism"

http://www.progressivepolicy.org/wp-con ... pulism.pdf

"As Americans choose a new president in 2016, populist anger dominates the campaign. To hear Donald Trump or Senator Bernie Sanders tell it, America is either a global doormat or a sham democracy controlled by the “one percent.” These dark narratives are caricatures, but they do stem from a real dilemma: America is stuck in a slowgrowth trap that holds down wages and living standards. How to break this long spell of economic stagnation is the central question in this election."

This article by Will Marshal from last March will help connect that more than year old pdf glossy to today:

http://www.progressivepolicy.org/blog/f ... hindsight/

Quote:
Unleashing (the pdf glossy linked to above) argued that America (and Europe) are stuck in a slow-growth trap that holds down wages and living standards. And it offered bold prescriptions for building on America’s competitive advantage in technology and entrepreneurship to spread innovation – now concentrated in a vibrant digital sector — to the nation’s physical economy, which continues to suffer from low productivity. In addition, the document proposed creative ways to modernize the nation’s economic infrastructure, improve the regulatory environment for innovation, build middle class wealth and empower poor Americans to work, save and chart their own course to social mobility and inclusion.

Crucially, the blueprint also urged progressives to reject anger and victimhood and offer voters a confident account for how America can build a new, inclusive prosperity:

What America needs is a forward-looking plan to unleash innovation, stimulate productive investment, groom the world’s most talented workers, and put our economy back on a high-growth path, It’s time to banish fear and pessimism and trust instead in the liberal and individualist values and enterprising culture that have always made America great.

That was the road not taken in 2016. Now it’s the road to political relevance and success for progressives here and elsewhere.

I wasn't able to find a new "group called New Democracy, a combination think tank and super PAC" as WP described it, it is not a new group, it's an old group, it's PPI.

I have no doubt that they will launch a new website soon called New Democracy.

Nor do I have any doubt that righty will immediately pan it as being an old chinese idea lifted straight from the book of Mao Zedong. :|

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:57 pm 
Political Junkie

The high-profile stars of the Democratic Party’s populist wing have steered the agenda their way on Capitol Hill this year, but the fight over the party’s direction is far from settled.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... 3205c7e927

The Democratic Party should do very well in 2018, because the GOP is doing so bad legislating. Yet, they stand to fumble the ball as they continue to learn why it was that Senator Sanders did so well. They'll have a difficult time trying to appear less corporate and more about the people. It takes being genuine first. Good luck with that.

Top Sanders 2016 Campaign Aide: The Democratic Party Is Facing a ‘Fundraising Crisis’

BY: Katelyn Caralle
August 10, 2017 10:44 am
The Democratic Party has a "serious fundraising crisis" as it lags far behind the Republican National Committee in cash raised and struggles to attract small-money donors, according to a former top staffer for Sen. Bernie Sanders' (I., Vt.) 2016 presidential campaign.

Democrats could perform well in the House in the 2018 midterm elections, but they have a major problem: "The party has a serious fundraising crisis," Michael Whitney wrote in Politico Magazine on Thursday.

Whitney worked as Sanders' digital fundraising manager during the 2016 Democratic presidential primary.

Sanders benefited from small-dollar donors during his White House run, but Republicans, not Democrats, are the ones who have learned from that strategy, according to Whitney. And Trump has capitalized as president.

"In the Trump era, the Democratic Party has sputtered along with fundraising appeals focused on scare tactics—understandable, but counterproductive," Whitney wrote. "Meanwhile, Trump—a billionaire who is already president—is still winning grass-roots donors by offering his supporters an empowering message."

"DNC Chair Tom Perez has acknowledged the party's problem with small-dollar donors, saying during his candidacy to lead the DNC that the party needs to ‘go to school' to figure out how to raise money from grass-roots donors, like Senator Bernie Sanders did during his presidential campaign," Whitney wrote. "He should enroll soon: Donald Trump and the Republicans are already several grades ahead."
http://freebeacon.com/politics/democrat ... ng-crisis/

Let us wage a moral and political war against war itself, so that we can cut military spending and use that money for human needs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yet, they stand to fumble the ball as they continue to learn why it was that Senator Sanders did so well. .....

I must have snoozed through that happening.

Sometimes I take afternoon naps. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

I must have snoozed through that happening.

Sometimes I take afternoon naps. :)

In Bernieville, losing is apparently synonymous with doing well. I bet it's got something to do with being an underdog or something/whatever. :problem:

I am so tired of hearing about what the Trump voters want. I don’t care what they want. How’s that?
And you know what? We do know what they want. They want a Confederate flag.

~Fran Lebowitz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:12 pm 
Political Junkie

:) Moods of children who miss their naps sometimes experience slight confusion and the bitters. With the exception of one obvious child, bitters runs its normal course day in and day out regardless of sleep. :roll: Excepted behavior among the chosen few, I suppose.

There was a time during the latter part of my teens, that I missed the fascinating and very important words, in which came from a very wise visionary of a man, Mr King, who took a stance against the unjust Vietnam Conflict while at the same time, and even more importantly, continued to stand with and for people's rights. Understandably, my worries at that time was to struggle with home issues while getting through high school only to face the draft afterwards instead of grasping onto such words of wisdom in real time. I feel fortunate that forty years later, to read Mr King's words today explains exactly what we're faced with. “shift from a ‘thing-oriented’ society to a ‘person-oriented’ society” - "we shall boldly challenge the status quo". I honestly believe that Senator Sanders learned from Mr King back in the day that stayed with him throughout his political career. However, don't bring up revolution or status quo to the Children of the Clinton Wing here in this thread, unless you're prepared to be ridiculed. I'll continue to show my support for the Senator's Political Revolution that only emboldens me to push harder support for this progressive movement.

A Revolution of Values
Teaching Activity. By Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Martin Luther King Jr. delivered a speech in New York City on the occasion of his becoming co-chairman of Clergy and Laymen Concerned About Vietnam (subsequently renamed Clergy and Laity Concerned).

Titled “Beyond Vietnam,” it was his first major speech on the war in Vietnam—what the Vietnamese aptly call the American War. In these excerpts, King links the escalating U.S. commitment to that war with its abandonment of the commitment to social justice at home. His call for a “shift from a ‘thing-oriented’ society to a ‘person-oriented’ society” and for us to “struggle for a new world” has acquired even greater urgency than when he issued it decades ago.

Our only hope today lies in our ability to recapture the revolutionary spirit and go out into a sometimes hostile world declaring eternal hostility to poverty, racism, and militarism. With this powerful commitment we shall boldly challenge the status quo and unjust mores and thereby speed the day when every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low, and the crooked shall be made straight and the rough places plain …
https://zinnedproject.org/materials/a-r ... of-values/

Let us wage a moral and political war against war itself, so that we can cut military spending and use that money for human needs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

In Bernieville, losing is apparently synonymous with doing well. I bet it's got something to do with being an underdog or something/whatever. :problem:

Based upon the latest missive I came away with the impression that coopting King for their cause is a sneak preview of They Have A Dream.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:13 pm 

Why would Sanders run for president? He is better positioned than any other Democrat; he's made tremendous inroads with the black community, whose support for Hillary Clinton doomed his primary campaign (indeed, he now has greater approval among African-Americans than he does among any other race); and he won't face a party establishment that is already locked up behind someone else
http://theweek.com/articles/712447/bern ... eeds-protg

And what, prey tell, would these 'inroads' into the african american community be?

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.
LYNDON B. JOHNSON, 1960

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

And what, prey tell, would these 'inroads' into the african american community be?

Why, Nina Turner!!!

And Killer Mike!!!!

They trot them out like tokens like rightwing whites do to Condi, Nikki Haley, Tim Scott, and Omarosa. :problem:

I am so tired of hearing about what the Trump voters want. I don’t care what they want. How’s that?

~Fran Lebowitz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:39 pm 
Political Junkie

[

I find it somewhat odd for anyone to ask what workings the Senator has strived to achieve in his effort to better life for ALL, including African Americans, if they know anything about the general political scene that has included Senator Sanders for several decades.

Sen. Sanders to join Rep. Conyers at Detroit health care town hall on Aug. 22

Kathleen Gray, Detroit Free Press Lansing Bureau Published 4:55 p.m. ET Aug. 10, 2017

U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders, the Vermont congressman who won Michigan's presidential primary in 2016, will join U.S. Rep. John Conyers in Detroit on Aug. 22 for a town hall meeting on health care and jobs.

The Detroit Democrat said the town hall will be held at 7 p.m. at Fellowship Chapel Church, 7707 W. Outer Drive in Detroit.

Sanders, who ran as a Democrat in 2016 but lists himself as an independent in the Senate, and Conyers are both supporters of universal health care.
Conyers introduced a resolution in January — the same one he's introduced every year since 2003 — that would expand and improve the Medicare program and provide universal access to care for all Americans.
http://www.freep.com/story/news/politic ... 556768001/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Right.

All lives matter. Or whatever.

~Fran Lebowitz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:59 pm 
Political Junkie

Not surprising a disruptive usual suspect would use words like "or whatever" when referring to all people. To refer to a hard working progressive, Mrs Nina Turner, as a "token". It's a shame that some here may find that behavior a type of badge of honor that best represents the face of the Democratic Party, while said party is in dire repair with their relationship to all people and positive party operations. While, myself as an Independent seeking a progressive party, still appreciate good and decent Democratic politicians to give credit to. Certainly, Representative John Conyers Jr is one that I do appreciate very much. One who works with Senator Sanders.

Mrs Turner held a terrific interview with an Arab-American lady who came from the Middle East. The interview is fairly lengthy but some of what I posted below will give our decent readers a good idea how powerful it was in it's entirety.

Linda Sarsour

August 10, 2017
The Nina Turner Show: Call In Culture with Linda Sarsour

Activist Linda Sarsour shares the story of the Women's March from the inside and explains the difference between "calling people out" vs "calling people in"

NINA TURNER: I'm excited today to be joined by the amazing Linda Sarsour, the national co-chair of the Women's March, and former director of the Arab-American Association in New York City. She is activist extraordinaire, and a hot mama to boot. How you doing, Linda? Thanks for joining me.

LINDA SARSOUR: I'm doing fabulous, I'm so honored to be here with you.

NINA TURNER: Thank you, I'm so glad to have you too. So, let's get right to it. The Women's March. The largest one day ... In one day the largest march in US history in terms of activism, and it also compelled women and men from all over the world to be engaged. What was that moment like for you, and did you ever envision that it would be, what, three million? Five million people from all over the world engaged in that march.

LINDA SARSOUR: I'll be honest with you, Senator Turner. I didn't think it was gonna be like that. I was, like, so devastated by this election that I just wanted to be a part of something. I saw a Facebook page, I went in there, I read the description, I didn't see Muslims included in the description, and I just commented, and I said, "Hey, great effort, please include your Muslim sisters and brothers."

Next thing you know I was the co chair of the Women's March on Washington. So, I caution people from commenting and suggesting things. But to show up that day on January 21st in Washington D.C. at 5:00 in the morning and watching people already showing up at 5:00 in the morning, it didn't start until 10:00 a.m., and seeing millions of people that came out saying we're gonna stand together, we're gonna stand for Muslim women, and undocumented women, and black women and people with disabilities, and we're gonna stand for reproductive rights, and climate justice, and racial justice. It was almost like my dream come true, of all the progressive movements, and all the progressive issues just coming under one tent.

NINA TURNER: How do you ... And African-American women sometimes feel some type of way being called "women of color" because they feel as though they're being overshadowed, not in away that dismisses other women, Asian, Native-American, Latina, Arab-American, which we can break that down further into ethnicity, but sometimes they feel as though their voices are being drowned out, when in fact it was the African-American struggle in this country that really gave voice to every other community of color. Can you talk a little bit more about that dynamic?

LINDA SARSOUR:
I mean, I'm humbled and honored to be someone who has studied the civil rights movement, in particular focusing on the women of the civil rights movement, which have always been overshadowed by the men, like, Dr. Martin Luther King, and the critiques are valid. It's true. And as a person who, when people see me, based on the U.S. census, I'm white. I'm a woman with light skin. But I'm also from the Middle East, and I'm also part of a marginalized and targeted group in the United States of America.

NINA TURNER: Yeah. And I'm proud that you were there to be a bridge, and other women of color, even though I have a strong critique of the Women's March, but I do feel much better having you there.

But, speaking of critique, you have been very vocal about the democratic party and it's leadership, or lack thereof in the direction that you would like to ... Speaking for your people, not just Arab-Americans, not just ... You know, I know that your folks are from Palestine, but you speak for the voices that are not really there within the democratic party.

And you interviewed on Democracy Now, and I want to quote what you said to Amy, and you said, "What I want to say, Amy, is that this is a time for soul-searching for the democratic party."

LINDA SARSOUR.: They left young people out in the cold. They called us naïve. They called us idealistic. They left Muslims out in the cold. Any time Hilary Clinton mentioned us, she said we were eyes and ears, we were on the front lines of countering terrorism. She never talked about us in any other way but as a law enforcement tool.

NINA TURNER: That shook me to my core. Can you explain to our audience, just go a little deeper into what ... Because that's a serious critique that you made about the democratic party, and the democratic nominee in 2016.

LINDA SARSOUR: Oh, absolutely. I mean, I'm a democrat, but I'm what we would consider a lowercase democrat. I'm not very loyal to any political party. And the democratic party left us out in the streets, and they ignored us, and they called us idealistic, and they said that, universal healthcare, or single-payer healthcare, or, we shouldn't be in debt as college students, these things that we were talking about on the Bernie Sanders campaign, they just kind of brushed us off.

And Hilary Clinton in particular, during the election season, again, did not engage us to these conversations. She didn't go to a mosque. She didn't really come to us as residents of this nation, as citizens of this nation, as human beings with dreams and aspirations, people who care about ending gender violence, people who care about education reform.
http://therealnews.com/t2/story:19744:T ... da-Sarsour

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:28 pm 
Political Junkie

As readers can easily see, Senator Sanders CONTINUES to work hard for ALL!

Bernie Sanders Jobs Rally Planned Monday With Carrier Union Leader
By Associated Press
Posted August 17, 2017

Photo: Harrison Wagner
Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump made Carrier an issue on the campaign trail. Sanders pictured here at a rally in Bloomington.

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders is planning a rally in Indianapolis with a labor union leader who clashed with President Donald Trump over job cuts at Carrier.

Sanders campaign staff says the rally on jobs and the economy is set for Monday afternoon at Monument Circle. Sanders will be joined by Chuck Jones, who retired this summer as president of the Carrier plant workers’ union.

http://indianapublicmedia.org/news/bern ... er-125758/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sanders and I have divergent ideas as to what constitutes hard work. :|

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:06 pm 
Political Junkie

Mr Sainato's opinion piece recognizes actual working progress by the Senator and Our Revolution. DURING THE SENATE'S RECESS!

Bernie Sanders’ Political Revolution Is Gaining Ground
Momentum from his presidential run continues to grow
By Michael Sainato • 08/18/17 7:00am

During this month’s Senate recessSanders has showed no signs of slowing down. He is scheduled to speak at town halls in Indiana, Ohio and Michigan next week on a variety of issues, including jobs, labor union rights, and Medicare for all. On Labor Day weekend, he plans to stop in New Hampshire for an AFL-CIO breakfast and will be in Iowa on August 31 to promote his book for teens, a guide for political revolution.

Our Revolution won’t endorse 2018 midterm congressional candidates until next year, but Brand New Congress, an organization founded by former Sanders staffers, is supporting several candidates looking to unseat incumbents in Congress who have abandoned their voters. They are supporting Paula Jean Swearengin in her race against Sen. Joe Manchin and 10 candidates for the House of Representatives in Missouri, New York, Florida, Texas, Washington, Arkansas and Pennsylvania.

Due to his presidential bid, Bernie Sanders and his supporters now have a massive grassroots infrastructure that they can use to mobilize supporters. Trump’s presidency has emboldened Sanders’ political revolution; Sanders’ popularity has surged and organizations have emerged out of his movement. While establishment Democrats continue to denigrate progressives and insist that it isn’t the right time for progressive politics, Sanders‘ political movement is prevailing because it offers hope for a better America. Millions of Americans are standing up in support of a political revolution that seeks to improve the lives of every American, challenge the status quo, and push for policies that leave no one behind.
http://observer.com/2017/08/bernie-sand ... evolution/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:59 pm 
Political Junkie

Sanders tells Ohio audience: ‘Do not allow people to divide us’
By Laura A. Bischoff - Columbus bureau
Posted: 4:58 p.m. Tuesday, August 22, 2017

PORTSMOUTH —
Sen. Bernie Sanders ventured into the heart of Republican country in Ohio Tuesday to address what he said are the most important issues facing the country.

One of those issues was made clear by the hundreds of hands that shot up when Sanders, I-Vt., asked the audience if they knew anyone struggling with drug addiction.

Sanders spent more than an hour talking with some 650 people at Shawnee State University about the opiate addiction crisis as well as the need to make tuition free at public colleges, raise the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour, expand Medicare to provide health care to every American, institute criminal justice reform and provide jobs and hope to citizens.

“I am in Trump country because I think the issues you face here in southern Ohio are not any different than in Vermont or California or any other state,” he said.

Portsmouth was the second stop on a three-city tour for Sanders this week. He held a rally in Indianapolis on Monday and was scheduled to hold a town hall in Detroit with long-time U.S. Rep. John Conyers on Tuesday.
http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/ ... hsAUX9bhO/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

Tell Sanders: Do Not Divide Us!

:|

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Tell Sanders: Do Not Divide Us!

:|

++++++++++

~Fran Lebowitz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:01 pm 
Policy Wonk

Townhall for all Medicare for all rally in Detroit

Quote:
..........."Yes there are divisions in this country, but on major issue after major issue, the American people are united on wanting a government that represents all of us and not just the 1%," Sanders said.............

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131