Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:07 am 
Board Emeritus

Valerie Plame to run for Congress in New Mexico

Former CIA operative Valerie Plame, whose cover was blown by Bush administration officials in a major scandal in the run up to the Iraq War, will run for an open House seat in New Mexico.

Plame filed papers Wednesday to formally open a campaign committee. A Democrat, she will run for the seat held by Rep. Ben Ray Lujan (D-N.M.), who is running for a Senate seat.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... new-mexico

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was a fan of hers, until I saw this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/po ... 7bec2d6fed

On the first full day of Rosh Hashanah, unmasked CIA officer Valerie Plame tweeted out an article entitled, “America’s Jews are driving America’s wars.” As if the headline weren’t bad enough, the essay appeared on a website featuring such pieces as “It’s time to re-think David Duke.” Its argument mirrored a classic anti-Semitic conspiracy theory: Jews run everything in America, and because of their irrational love for Israel they’re running us into foreign conflicts, too.

It is nigh impossible to argue that the article was anything but vile. It called for identifying Jewish Americans as such when they appear on television (much as, it said, one might affix a warning label to a bottle of rat poison). That didn’t stop Plame from trying, at first — protesting that “many neocon hawks ARE Jewish.” Finally, she progressed to the last of the all-too-predictable stages of post-Twitter meltdown grief and issued a full-throated mea culpa. She has since deleted her initial tweet.

It’s also pretty clear that Plame’s apology was insufficient. Perhaps, as she said, she simply “skimmed” the piece before posting it. But did she make the same mistake with the other anti-Semitic musings she has shared over the past few months? “I never heard this story about 9/11: The Dancing Israelis,” reads one.

[snip]

Even in her apology, Plame claimed she had “zeroed in on the neocon criticism.” This criticism, though Plame does not spell it out, centers on the idea that Israel plays an outsize role in American foreign policy. Our devotion to Israel, some antiwar advocates argue, is dragging us into wars in the Middle East. It started with Iraq, and today we risk making the same mistake with Iran.

[snip]

Plame’s missive on Thursday was upsetting not just because of the hatefulness of the screed she endorsed. It was upsetting because it was an extreme example of people seizing on casual, careless anti-Semitism in the service of critiques that might otherwise hold merit. That cavalier behavior only makes it easier for people on both sides of the issue to toss around nasty names and end the conversation there. Avoiding that tendency would be a worthy New Year’s resolution for all of us.

[snip][end]

Amen.

BTW, I'm not in her district, so it wouldn't be my decision whether or not to support her. If she's in Congress and she avoids behavior like this in the future - please don't ask me again what's wrong with it - I think she could be a fine representative.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:17 pm 
Policy Wonk

ProfessorX wrote:
... If she's in Congress and she avoids behavior like this in the future - please don't ask me again what's wrong with it - I think she could be a fine representative.
I'm not. Unless she can show, with history, that this isn't the way she thinks. There's a real concern that the party could move to become like the Labour Party. Already American politics is moving more extreme. We especially see it in the Republican Party...I hate to see this movement in the Democratic side as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:18 pm 
Policy Wonk

This makes me wonder if she's just an isolated case, or is the CIA riddled with antisemitic operatives. I'd like to know where her bizarre, hateful shit comes from--family tradition? It's also kind of odd that with all the scrutiny she was under, back when she was outed, this never reared its head before. If I remember, she was even one of Randi Rhodes' guests back in the day.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:40 pm 
Policy Wonk

This makes me wonder if she's just an isolated case, or is the CIA riddled with antisemitic operatives. I'd like to know where her bizarre, hateful shit comes from--family tradition? It's also kind of odd that with all the scrutiny she was under, back when she was outed, this never reared its head before. If I remember, she was even one of Randi Rhodes' guests back in the day.
I tend to doubt it...If it did, it wouldn't say much about the credibly of US intelligence gathering. Though I'm sure a lot of the source may have bigoted views...I doubt they're (generally) looking at the morality of their sources.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:04 am 
Board Emeritus

I was a fan of hers, until I saw this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/po ... 7bec2d6fed

On the first full day of Rosh Hashanah, unmasked CIA officer Valerie Plame tweeted out an article entitled, “America’s Jews are driving America’s wars.” As if the headline weren’t bad enough, the essay appeared on a website featuring such pieces as “It’s time to re-think David Duke.” Its argument mirrored a classic anti-Semitic conspiracy theory: Jews run everything in America, and because of their irrational love for Israel they’re running us into foreign conflicts, too.

It is nigh impossible to argue that the article was anything but vile. It called for identifying Jewish Americans as such when they appear on television (much as, it said, one might affix a warning label to a bottle of rat poison). That didn’t stop Plame from trying, at first — protesting that “many neocon hawks ARE Jewish.” Finally, she progressed to the last of the all-too-predictable stages of post-Twitter meltdown grief and issued a full-throated mea culpa. She has since deleted her initial tweet.

It’s also pretty clear that Plame’s apology was insufficient. Perhaps, as she said, she simply “skimmed” the piece before posting it. But did she make the same mistake with the other anti-Semitic musings she has shared over the past few months? “I never heard this story about 9/11: The Dancing Israelis,” reads one.

[snip]

Even in her apology, Plame claimed she had “zeroed in on the neocon criticism.” This criticism, though Plame does not spell it out, centers on the idea that Israel plays an outsize role in American foreign policy. Our devotion to Israel, some antiwar advocates argue, is dragging us into wars in the Middle East. It started with Iraq, and today we risk making the same mistake with Iran.

[snip]

Plame’s missive on Thursday was upsetting not just because of the hatefulness of the screed she endorsed. It was upsetting because it was an extreme example of people seizing on casual, careless anti-Semitism in the service of critiques that might otherwise hold merit. That cavalier behavior only makes it easier for people on both sides of the issue to toss around nasty names and end the conversation there. Avoiding that tendency would be a worthy New Year’s resolution for all of us.

[snip][end]

Amen.

BTW, I'm not in her district, so it wouldn't be my decision whether or not to support her. If she's in Congress and she avoids behavior like this in the future - please don't ask me again what's wrong with it - I think she could be a fine representative.

I remember that.

With this race baiting comment outta carmen, I feel I owe the guy [glen] an apology.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:39 am 
Board Emeritus

Candidate Accused Of Anti-Semitism Unveils Ad Highlighting Jewish Heritage
https://forward.com/fast-forward/431082 ... -congress/

[snip]

Plame attracted controversy in 2017 after tweeting links to anti-Semitic articles from a Holocaust-denying website, including one headlined “American Jews Are Driving America’s Wars” and another that claimed that Israel was behind the 9/11 terror attacks. Plame at first defended her comments before apologizing and deleting her Twitter account. It has not be revived since.

[snip]

Plame’s campaign ad notes that she is descended from Ukrainian Jewish immigrants. Plame’s paternal grandfather was Jewish, a fact that she did not know until she was an adult, she admitted in her memoir. Plame was raised Protestant.

[snip][end]

Ok, I will reiterate that her apology bugs me. Maybe she did only "skim" the article. But she sure as heck saw and retweeted the headline, which was staring everyone in the face "American Jews start all our wars" by the notorious anti-Semite Philip Girardi at the site Unz Review. That's a Henry Ford "doozy" she's repeating.

So she's discovered she has Jewish ancestry. BFD. Not a "get out of anti-Semitism free card". What's also significant is that she's retweeted other stuff like this, including an article that blames Israel for the 9-11 attacks.

I guess I will just say, I'm not so sure I'll be donating to her campaign, even if she can drive a car backwards really fast.