At George Dawson Middle School an autobiography co-authored by George Dawson at 103 has been banned. Mr. Dawson was the

News and events of the day
Libertas

At George Dawson Middle School an autobiography co-authored by George Dawson at 103 has been banned. Mr. Dawson was the

Post by Libertas »

At George Dawson Middle School an autobiography co-authored by George Dawson at 103 has been banned. Mr. Dawson was the grandson of a slave. He learned to read at 98. His book is an inspiration to all readers except it can’t be read at the school that bears his name.
The back story about the writing of Mr. Dawson’s autobiography is a story of love and respect between two people. I suppose the book was banned due to the takeover of the Carroll ISD board by conservative extremists.
@cjtackett

@pastors4txkids

https://twitter.com/JimGBoyle/status/15 ... 77gZ5VQJOQ
I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Re: At George Dawson Middle School an autobiography co-authored by George Dawson at 103 has been banned. Mr. Dawson was

Post by carmenjonze »

history-is-not-there-for-you-to-like.jpg
history-is-not-there-for-you-to-like.jpg (148.36 KiB) Viewed 238 times

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Re: At George Dawson Middle School an autobiography co-authored by George Dawson at 103 has been banned. Mr. Dawson was

Post by ProfX »

The list of what teachers can't teach to 3rd (or 4th) graders seems to keep growing. Yay. :|

North Carolina Republican: Children below 5th grade shouldn't be taught science or history in school
https://www.rawstory.com/mark-robinson-2657896870/

On Monday, WRAL reported that North Carolina Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson, the highest-ranking Republican in the state, called for eliminating science and history classes from elementary schools.

In his memoir, “We Are the Majority: The Life and Passions of a Patriot,” according to reporter Bryan Anderson, "Robinson is dropping more hints about a potential run for governor in 2024. And, if elected, he says he’d work to keep science and history out of some elementary school classrooms. He says he’d also seek to eliminate the State Board of Education, end abortion and work to prevent transgender people from serving in the military."

"Robinson said he’d work to keep history, science and a number of other subjects out of first through fifth grade curricula and instead prioritize reading, writing and math," said the report. "'In those grades, we don’t need to be teaching social studies,' he writes. 'We don’t need to be teaching science. We surely don’t need to be talking about equity and social justice.' Robinson also reaffirms personal views on climate change that became a major issue in the 2020 election. 'Guess what? Most of the people of North Carolina know global warming is junk science,' he writes." :roll:

[snip]

He has become highly controversial for his past statements, including that gay people are "devil-worshipping child molesters," that transgender identity is a "mass delusion" designed "to turn God’s creation ... into a sickening image of rebellion to glorify Satan," that the Parkland school shooting activists are "silly little immature media prosti-tots," that Michelle Obama is secretly a man, that Muslims in America are "invaders," and that the film Black Panther is a Jewish plot to grift money off of Black people. :roll: While vehemently anti-abortion, he has also admitted that he once paid his wife to have one before they were married.

[snip][end]

I can see why you want to eliminate science Msr. Robinson. You obviously slept through it. :lol:

But I can just see it now.

Little Tommie: "Teach, does the Earth go around the Sun?" "Sorry, wait till 6th grade". :roll:
Little Sally: "Teach, who was George Washington?" "Sorry, wait till 6th grade". :roll:
Little Bobby: "Teach, how do we run elections in our country?" "Sorry, wait till 6th grade". :roll:

It's getting to the point where I guess 3rd graders can watch Barney the Dinosaur dance and sing, and not much else. :lol:
Last edited by ProfX on Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

We told you this type of backlash was coming down the pike, and coming quickly.

Maybe next time people will listen, but then, we've been saying this in genration after generation...for generations.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

They can't even read it, but they've heard it says Allah (in Arabic it just says "In Allah We Trust")... so just like I figured, NOW parents are freaking out. :D

"I heard my kid is learning those Arabic numerals in school, too!"
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:29 am Image

They can't even read it, but they've heard it says Allah (in Arabic it just says "In Allah We Trust")... so just like I figured, NOW parents are freaking out. :D

"I heard my kid is learning those Arabic numerals in school, too!"
Ha this is excellent

~ Ida B. Wells