Post subject: Re: the Rand Paul Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

These are the types of people Rand has working his campaign:

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

None to bright. He might just run into somebody who will give him a knee to the crotch for that.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:53 am 
Board Emeritus

None to bright. He might just run into somebody who will give him a knee to the crotch for that.

He should be fired for such immature behavior. Look at it this way, it makes it look like you're afraid your candidate will say something stupid that can be used against them.

Yeah, I know. That's EXACTLY the reason. :rw)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:56 am 
Board Emeritus

T-shirts! T-shirts! Get your T-shirts!

http://randpaul.com/t-shirt-voting?utm_ ... ur_t_shirt

They're all great! Love the ones that show Rand as George Washington and the one where he's like Bruce Lee karate chopping a machine.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Poor Rand ain't getting any billionaire love.

Quote:
In a presidential campaign defined by billionaire sugar daddy donors, Rand Paul has a problem: He doesn’t seem to have one.
While his rivals cultivate wealthy backers who will pump millions of dollars into their candidacies, Paul has struggled to find a similar lifeline. It’s led to considerable frustration in his campaign, which, amid rising concerns that it will not be able to compete financially, finds itself leaning heavily on the network of small donors who powered his father’s insurgent White House bids.
Story Continued Below
It hasn’t been for lack of trying. In recent months, Paul has sought to woo a string of powerful Republican megadonors — from Silicon Valley executives to a Kentucky coal mogul to the billionaire Koch brothers — who, it was believed, would be philosophically aligned with his free-market views. In each case, he met disappointment.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/r ... z3bYjkDe8c

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Paul is positioning himself as the pro-liberty republican.

"I'm not gonna take it anymore. I don't think the American people are gonna take it."

He made a fuss on the Senate floor by demanding his full 30 minutes to rail against the unconstitutional provision in the Patriot Act that allows search and seizure by telecom companies of people's personal phone calls.

John McCain whines that Paul didn't understand the rules of the Senate. To make matters worse, pundit heads on FOX are focusing on Paul's heated statement that some in the Senate secretly hope for an attack in order to blame him, rather than the substance of what he was trying to accomplish.

Watch the exchange at 4.08

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:38 am 
Board Emeritus

Wow! He blames the media when they bring up his criticisms of the Civil Rights Act and his associations with white supremacists, how will he handle this?

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/809ff29a ... paign-stop

Quote:
Paul's meeting with Bundy recalled one of the more dramatic conflicts over land rights in recent years.

Hundreds of armed supporters joined Bundy in April 2013 to stop a roundup of his cattle near Bunkerville about 80 miles northeast of Las Vegas. The Bureau of Land Management says he owes more than $1 million in grazing fees over more than 20 years. Bundy argues the federal government has no authority there.

Bundy told the AP: "In general, I think we're in tune with each other." He added: "I don't think we need to ask Washington, D.C. for this land. It's our land."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

Paul equates paying taxes to slavery.

http://www.salon.com/2015/07/07/rand_pa ... utrageous/

Quote:
Presidential candidate Sen. Rand Paul has a tax plan he’d like to sell you on. The plan, which would put in place a 14.5 percent flat tax, was crafted with the input of some of the wrongest people in the conservative economic policy world, and it would redistribute wealth up the economic ladder while tossing a bone or two to the people at the bottom. But Rand is proud of it nonetheless, mainly because he thinks it’s less slavery-like than your average tax scheme.

Here’s what Paul said last week about taxation and “freedom,” as reported by BuzzFeed:

“Now you can have some government, we all need government,” the Kentucky senator said while discussing Thomas Paine and the role of government at the local public library. “Thomas Paine said that government is a necessary evil. What did he mean by that?”

Paul said he believes that “you have to give up some of your liberty to have government,” saying he was “for some government.”

“I’m for paying some taxes,” continued Paul. “But if we tax you at 100% then you’ve got zero percent liberty. If we tax you at 50% you are half slave, half free. I frankly would like to see you a little freer and a little more money remaining in your communities so you can create jobs. It’s a debate we need to have.”

That was his big pitch – The Rand Paul tax plan: Only 14.5 percent slavery!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

You hear those kind of statements from the radical-libertarian right.

Taxation is slavery or theft. Yet they balk at the idea that wage employment is wage slavery. :D

The point is, it's contractual. If you rent an apartment or an office, you get something in return for it. If you were paying 25% of your income in rent, does that make you one quarter slave? Bear in mind, you're getting a place to live or work in return. But the landlord doesn't say it's voluntary; you are charged it, not just asked if you want to contribute it. ;)

Yes, the government does charge people rent for civilization. The rent is taxes. And people do get something back: infrastructure to facilitate commerce and business, safety to live in security, etc., etc. That is exactly why it's NOT "slavery". Also, BTW, especially when it comes to the progressive income tax, the government does something few landlords do: adjust your rent (taxation) based on your ability to pay.

If only other charges to your existence were as fair.

Anyway, it always bugs me that people describe Rand Paul as the sanest of the Republican field. I would accept that if he wasn't occasionally privvy to the nuttiest of conspiracy theories, odd bedfellows, and weird/bad ideas promulgated by dear ol da. From whom he's tried to do that complex dance of distancing himself for most voters, but cozying back to for that segment of the right-libertarian-stormfront base that digs Ron.

He and Alex Jones are the bestest of buds. Rand Paul tries to dance around this, but ultimately, he can't.
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/04/02 ... ped/203016

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Flat tax? Guess where he can stuff that. A flat tax hits the poor far harsher than the current tax system. We know who butters his bread.

Tax the rich, feed the poor
Till there are no rich no more

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:45 am 
Policy Wonk

Flat tax? Guess where he can stuff that. A flat tax hits the poor far harsher than the current tax system. We know who butters his bread.

Tax the rich, feed the poor
Till there are no rich no more

In every flat tax proposal I've seen over the last 20 years the poor would not pay more taxes and would likely pay less or no income taxes due to personal exemptions.

Here's Paul's approach. How is this harsher on the poor?

"So I am announcing an over $2 trillion tax cut that would repeal the entire IRS tax code—more than 70,000 pages—and replace it with a low, broad-based tax of 14.5% on individuals and businesses. I would eliminate nearly every special-interest loophole. The plan also eliminates the payroll tax on workers and several federal taxes outright, including gift and estate taxes, telephone taxes, and all duties and tariffs. I call this “The Fair and Flat Tax.”

"My tax plan would blow up the tax code and start over. In consultation with some of the top tax experts in the country, including the Heritage Foundation’s Stephen Moore, former presidential candidate Steve Forbes and Reagan economist Arthur Laffer, I devised a 21st-century tax code that would establish a 14.5% flat-rate tax applied equally to all personal income, including wages, salaries, dividends, capital gains, rents and interest. All deductions except for a mortgage and charities would be eliminated. The first $50,000 of income for a family of four would not be taxed. For low-income working families, the plan would retain the earned-income tax credit."

https://randpaul.com/issue/taxes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:54 am 
Board Emeritus

A flat tax is, at the end of the day, ultimately regressive, and not-progressive. Progressive taxation is the most moral and fair way to tax the populace, well, that is, if you believe it is moral and fair to tax people according to their ability to pay. And if you bear in mind that asking poor Joe Street to pay 14% of his income (instead of, say, 0%, or a pittance 3%) might mean he has to go without some food or medicine, whereas asking wealthy Carl Warbucks to pay 14% (instead of, say, 40%) means he CAN buy his yacht this year instead of next year.

Oh sure, Rand jiggers his flat tax plan somewhat to reduce its regressive-ness, but it's ultimately still lipstick on a pig. I prefer progressive income taxation, where the poor pay less, and the wealthy pay more (and by that I mean proportionally, as well as in absolute terms). That's what we have now, well, except for the fact that Reagan and Bush and Republican presidents have lowered its progressive-ness by steadily raising taxes on the poor and lowering them on the rich (esp. through loopholes and evasion). Bernie says he will fix that.

Income tax should be progressive, as so many of the other taxes poor people pay, such as sales taxes and payroll taxes, are not. (This is why, BTW, I hate Romneyesque claims of the poor paying "no" taxes as if the income tax was the ONLY tax they pay.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:02 pm 

In every flat tax proposal I've seen over the last 20 years the poor would not pay more taxes and would likely pay less or no income taxes due to personal exemptions.

Here's Paul's approach. How is this harsher on the poor?

"So I am announcing an over $2 trillion tax cut that would repeal the entire IRS tax code—more than 70,000 pages—and replace it with a low, broad-based tax of 14.5% on individuals and businesses. I would eliminate nearly every special-interest loophole. The plan also eliminates the payroll tax on workers and several federal taxes outright, including gift and estate taxes, telephone taxes, and all duties and tariffs. I call this “The Fair and Flat Tax.”

"My tax plan would blow up the tax code and start over. In consultation with some of the top tax experts in the country, including the Heritage Foundation’s Stephen Moore, former presidential candidate Steve Forbes and Reagan economist Arthur Laffer, I devised a 21st-century tax code that would establish a 14.5% flat-rate tax applied equally to all personal income, including wages, salaries, dividends, capital gains, rents and interest. All deductions except for a mortgage and charities would be eliminated. The first $50,000 of income for a family of four would not be taxed. For low-income working families, the plan would retain the earned-income tax credit."

https://randpaul.com/issue/taxes

Of all the flat tax proposals I've seen over the years, this is the worst. It instantly creates a $2 trillion hole in the federal budget. It is a pure give away to the rich- 14.5% tax rate, lower capital gains rate, no gift and estate taxes. What crap! It also eliminates 1/2 of Social Security's tax base. How are we going to pay for Social Security? Oh? Then we just do away with it? How is that fair to low income people?

Also, I love the list of "consultants." Could you find a worse collection of "experts" if you really tried? I think not.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:22 pm 
Policy Wonk

Of all the flat tax proposals I've seen over the years, this is the worst. It instantly creates a $2 trillion hole in the federal budget. It is a pure give away to the rich- 14.5% tax rate, lower capital gains rate, no gift and estate taxes. What crap! It also eliminates 1/2 of Social Security's tax base. How are we going to pay for Social Security? Oh? Then we just do away with it? How is that fair to low income people?

Also, I love the list of "consultants." Could you find a worse collection of "experts" if you really tried? I think not.

You really should study and understand the plan. As to Social Security:

"The money to support Social Security and Medicare would come from a new tax on corporate payrolls in the amount of 14.5 percent. Note that the tax is on the entire payroll, not just wages up to $118,500. So the tax could sustain our nation's most important social programs. And it wouldn't be regressive. The other benefit is that a later increase in the tax could bolster Social Security. The next generation wouldn't be shortchanged on benefits."

http://www.chron.com/business/burns/art ... 371345.php

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:36 pm 

You really should study and understand the plan.

No, I should not study it. It is still a giveaway to the rich. The only fair tax system is a progressive one, not a regressive "flat tax."

I will, however, revise my statement that this is the worst I have ever heard of. I forgot about the idiot (I forget his name) who pushed his "9-9-9" plan, taken directly from the computer game Sim City. This is merely the worst one ever proposed by humans.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

Paul wants to eliminate the earned income tax credit. That's one progressive tax that does help the poor.

He's not on the side of poor working families.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

No, I should not study it. It is still a giveaway to the rich. The only fair tax system is a progressive one, not a regressive "flat tax."

I will, however, revise my statement that this is the worst I have ever heard of. I forgot about the idiot (I forget his name) who pushed his "9-9-9" plan, taken directly from the computer game Sim City. This is merely the worst one ever proposed by humans.

Yup. I asked my mom about a flat tax, I think is was when Ford was President. Somewhere around '74. She was adamant about a flat tax being pushed back then. I took it to heart.

The 9-9-9 plan was Herman Cain.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:58 pm 
Policy Wonk

Paul wants to eliminate the earned income tax credit. That's one progressive tax that does help the poor.

He's not on the side of poor working families.

Wrong. Note the bolding.

So basically the poor would not pay income tax, nor payroll taxes, and they retain EIC. They get more money in their paycheck because of the shift in payroll taxes. I'd say he is on the side of the working poor.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

Well then, you can remain blissfully ignorant. But this plan benefits the working poor and covers Social Security pretty effectively.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Wrong. Note the bolding.

So basically the poor would not pay income tax, nor payroll taxes, and they retain EIC. They get more money in their paycheck because of the shift in payroll taxes. I'd say he is on the side of the working poor.

I like how his tax "experts" are from a right wing organization that are all about eliminating social programs. I'm not buying it.

Anyway, here is where I got the info.

http://www.vox.com/2015/4/7/8360691/ran ... -president

Quote:
The proposal: Paul would either eliminate or render nonrefundable the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit; the former is the US's most significant cash transfer program for non-elderly poor, and the latter also provides substantial assistance to low-income people.

Which budget(s): FY2012 for making nonrefundable, FY2013 for eliminating.

Details: Paul's first budget is the clearest on this point, and includes a specific proposal to "prevent payments when earned income credit and child tax credit exceeds tax liability." That almost entirely eliminates the EITC...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

How would you eliminate the tax code? Would you burn it, chainsaw it, or put it in a wood chipper?

Paul chainsaws the tax code.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:42 am 
Board Emeritus

The shear durability of a tightly stacked mound of paper is impressive. I didn't see Rand making much headway. I would imagine his chain saw chain was shined up real pretty, but quite dull after the brief moments I saw. Sometimes, if it's oily and rusty a bit, I'll cut into a bale of straw a bit to shine up a chain before I sharpen it.

Did you hear that poor wood chipper Rand rented dieing? Poor machine, I wonder if he took it back and said it was like that when he got it? Anyway the wood chipper is not the machine for this, unless one feeds it slowly, like one page at a time.

Even with fire it's about like one needs to feed the paper to the fire sheet by sheet, and one needs to crumple them up first, sheet by sheet, or it will re-stack and smother the flames.

Poor Rand he's in for a long hard slog of it, and when he's done someone who figured things like this out when they were ten will only ask him if he wants to reduce their copy of the tax code to whatever as well. There's someone like that in every crowd. Then he'll find out from the same fellow there are as many copies of the tax code as there needs to be, so he'd best get back up quit whining about his sore back and get after it.

That's probably about the point he'll realize reducing a copy of the tax code is an old kind of homespun magic which never works.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Just goes to show you what impact Trump's stupid antics have force the other republican candidates have to do to get attention. Imitating stupidity isn't a presidential qualification.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:16 am 
Political Junkie

Quote:
@JenniferJJacobs Instead of coming to Iowa, Rand Paul sends JC Watts for 3 events Friday - 9a Paul DM HQ, 11:30 Pella Smokey Row, 2p Airliner in Iowa City.

Watts?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:01 am 
Board Emeritus

Watts?

:thinking: Me thinks Rand is already losing interest in this whole running for president thing.