Russia cuts support for rocket engines that U.S. companies use in Pentagon launches

News and events of the day
bradman

Re: Russia cuts support for rocket engines that U.S. companies use in Pentagon launches

Post by bradman »

dunno for sure yet....It's kinda a click bait headline......

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/03/tech/spa ... index.html
SpaceX sent Starlink internet terminals to Ukraine. They could paint a 'giant target' on users' backs, experts say
SpaceX's foray into aiding Ukraine began when the country's vice prime minister, Mykhailo Fedorov, issued a public plea to Musk on Twitter last weekend, saying, "while you try to colonize Mars -- Russia try to occupy Ukraine! While your rockets successfully land from space -- Russian rockets attack Ukrainian civil people! We ask you to provide Ukraine with Starlink stations and to address sane Russians to stand." It was one in a string of tweets Fedorov directed at various US-based tech figureheads, imploring them to take action on Ukraine's behalf.
Musk responded with offers to help, announced that the Starlink network was now activated in Ukraine, and, this week, a truckload of user terminals — which are required to give users access to the satellite-based internet service — arrived.
[bold] Not sure what he means by, "and to address sane Russians to stand."
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
carmenjonze

Re: Russia cuts support for rocket engines that U.S. companies use in Pentagon launches

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:39 am What wont Musk do unless at gunpoint?

Block who what? Which countries asked him to do what? Is he being a prick again?
Step A: play the hero and oh-so-gracioulsy bestow internet access to Ukraine.

Step B: pump Russian nooz into Ukraine, and make a big show of refusing to stop.

F. this Apartheid kid.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

bradman wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:03 pm dunno for sure yet....It's kinda a click bait headline......

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/03/tech/spa ... index.html
SpaceX sent Starlink internet terminals to Ukraine. They could paint a 'giant target' on users' backs, experts say

[bold] Not sure what he means by, "and to address sane Russians to stand."
This from Vice...

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7wxym/ ... in-ukraine
As for Fedorov’s request that Musk “address sane Russians to stand,” that request is still outstanding.
Then there's this headline....

https://www.freepressjournal.in/world/r ... e-russians
Russia-Ukraine War: Ukrainian Vice PM calls for Elon Musk to 'provide Ukraine with Starlink stations' to address sane Russians
Now that makes more sense.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:12 pm Then there's this headline....

https://www.freepressjournal.in/world/r ... e-russians

Now that makes more sense.
Also from this article:
With Russia's offensive in Ukraine ongoing and fighting reaching the outskirts of Kiev, Fedorov has called on the tech industry to get involved in the conflict. In a post to Facebook earlier on Saturday, he revealed that he had "asked YouTube to block the Russian propaganda media," and asked Meta and Netflix to withhold their services from Russia.
Something you should know about this article: it is outdated (Feb. 26), and is based solely on reports from RT, which is Russian state news.

In this time, the EU has banned RT as part of the sanctions, and so have the major social platforms including You Tube. Even Telegram has banned RT, or claims it has.

Telegram bans Russian state media after pressure from Europe - Politico EU

Best to read the whole story and not just the headline.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

Both articles(Vice and the one in question)) were from a week or so ago. Some of the articles are recent. One had RT connections. When researching i usually try to find the origin of the point. Which is this......
We ask you to provide Ukraine with Starlink stations and to address sane Russians to stand."
Yes, Ukraine has asked many tech firms to pull support from Russia. But, for some reason, they asked Musk for Starlink stations. i get that. Ukraine has been asking for communication systems from the beginning of the conflict. What is still in question is at the end of the Ukrainian request.....
and to address sane Russians to stand
How do they plan on addressing these so called "sane Russians"?
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:11 pm Both articles(CNN and the one in question)) were from a week or so ago. Some of the articles are recent.
I’m talking about the one from Freepress Journal India you referenced that I quoted.
One had RT connections.
The entire article is based on RT reports.

You really just didn’t read beyond the headline, right?
… so called "sane Russians" …
Anyway, I have no doubt there are actual “sane Russians” both in Russia and in Ukraine. All the protesters risking their lives to go to antiwar protests in Russia, for example.

Point is, Apartheid Boy’s satellites are not going to help either them, or Federov/Ukraine. Apartheid Boy just said he will not abide by Federov’s own request to block Russian state propaganda media.

Cripes, even Telegram knows better. :?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

Cut out the click bait stuff....
Musk quote:
Starlink has been told by some governments (not Ukraine) to block Russian news sources.
[bold] Why not Ukraine?
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:17 pm Cut out the click bait stuff....
:? you're the person who JUST said "....It's kinda a click bait headline......" viewtopic.php?p=18055#p18055 . Then you go and post the clickbait headline, anyway?
Musk quote:

[bold] Why not Ukraine?
Source for this Musk quote, please. You're starting to become incoherent.

At some point, it's going to occur to you guys that Apartheid Boy is no one's friend but his own.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

Here's the headline.

The headline should have stopped at Ukraine. The clickbait part is the next sentence.(giant target) Despite the clickbait part there was still some value in the article.

The quote in question is the Twit put out by Musk that has everyone's undees in a bind. Drop the clickbait stuff and we are left with this...

"Starlink has been told by some governments (not Ukraine) to block Russian news sources."

Why not Ukraine?

It's Fedorov that asked for Starlink. Which leads back to this......

Fedorov :
We ask you to provide Ukraine with Starlink stations and to address sane Russians to stand."
What does Fedorov mean by, 'and to address sane Russians to stand'?
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:24 pm Here's the headline.

The headline should have stopped at Ukraine. The clickbait part is the next sentence.(giant target) Despite the clickbait part there was still some value in the article.

The quote in question is the Twit put out by Musk that has everyone's undees in a bind. Drop the clickbait stuff and we are left with this...

"Starlink has been told by some governments (not Ukraine) to block Russian news sources."
It's not clear at all WTF you're trying to say.

The actual tweet (not "Twit") is a bit different. That's why I asked where YOU got the quote, since YOU've chosen to get defensive of Elon Musk's Apartheid brommsticks.

You've still not said where you got your version of the quote from.

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

Starlink has been told by some governments (not Ukraine) to block Russian news sources. We will not do so unless at gunpoint.

Sorry to be a free speech absolutist.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1499976967105433600

:?

So facilitating Russian state wartime propaganda into Ukraine via his sattelites, when Fedorov himself has asked the big tech companies not to do so AND the EU has banned doing so, is being "a free speech absolutist"?

Okay, Apartheid Sorry Not Sorry Boy.

Reiterating the point of all my posts in this thread: Apartheid Boy is nobody's friend but his own.
Why not Ukraine?

Fedorov :

You've gone over this already, no? You're running in circles like a puppy chasing its tail.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

Ya found the right Twit. Take the first sentence and cut the clickbait off the end.

Liking Musk has nothing to do with this. No more than what FDR thought of Ford when he asked him to produce planes for the war.

So far, it sounds like Musk has provided what Ukraine has asked for.

"Some countries aside," until i see something from Fedorov requesting from Musk what he has asked from other tech. companies, or the "EU" for that matter, i'll hold judgment.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:10 pm Ya found the right Twit. Take the first sentence and cut the clickbait off the end.
There's no clickbait at the end.

The man said what he said, including the prickish sentence at the end.

Liking Musk has nothing to do with this. No more than what FDR thought of Ford when he asked him to produce planes for the war.
Actually, it does, which is the point of trying to alter what he said.

Also: bad analogy.

You have info on what FDR thought of Ford? Ford is an American company, so is Starlink, and FDR was not a Ukranian president.

Also: imo, there really is no precedent for this situation.
"Some countries aside," until i see something from Fedorov requesting from Musk what he has asked from other tech. companies, or the "EU" for that matter, i'll hold judgment.
That horse left the barn when you started defending him, but okay.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ZoWie »

What is Starlink's user base in the real world? The satellite constellation is way, way short of what it needs for Musk's typically utopian idea to actually work, and the system has so far proven to be very vulnerable to solar coronal mass ejections, geomagnetic storms, and rapid magnetosphere shifts.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
bradman

Post by bradman »

i never realized how large the program was. Trying to get a deep space vehicle into orbit is going to be like getting on to a freeway during rush hour.

From last January...

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/2565 ... -fines.htm
SpaceX's Starlink Internet Banned in Russia, Citizens May Face Fines
After launching 143 satellites into Earth's orbit on January 10, which is a record-breaking number, SpaceX is slowly inching towards its mission of wrapping the Earth's orbit with up to 42,000 Starlink satellites to provide fast internet service.
42,000 of them. How long is their operational life, and what do you do with them after that?
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I've been following this for a while. On paper, it's a harebrained scheme, but Musk is just crazy enough to actually do it. If it succeeds, we'll have to put up with more babble on how visionary he is.

Yes, it uses a constellation of at least 42,000 satellites, in a very low Earth orbit that makes them very vulnerable to drag. The satellites are really microsats, itty bitty little things, which apparently orbit in groups of about 30 but possibly more. The first few clusters caused big trouble for ground based astronomy, and a large protest went up from science organizations. Since then, they have experimented with various non-reflecting coatings, none of which have been entirely successful.

There might be a few hundred in orbit. They are sent up 40 or so at a time. One such bunch was lost a couple of weeks back when a surprise geomagnetic shock hit. They have since re-entered, as perhaps the first human-caused meteor shower. The system, with its massive number of birds and very low orbit, is unusually vulnerable to any number of similar phenomena, especially in solar activity peaks, one of which is approaching.

Along with the astronomy issue, it adds an awful lot of space junk. ISS and some other major science programs are also in low Earth orbit. They're like ducks in a shooting gallery when you throw this much crap into space. Worse, this is not the only company with ideas on doing such things. The idea that everyone in the world can (theoretically) carry a hand held satellite comm terminal is a seductive one. No one, however, talks about how the usual underclasses would afford it.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

bradman wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:20 pm i never realized how large the program was. Trying to get a deep space vehicle into orbit is going to be like getting on to a freeway during rush hour.

From last January...

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/2565 ... -fines.htm

42,000 of them. How long is their operational life, and what do you do with them after that?
The satellite’s are equipped with an automated anti collision system. They get out of the way.

As they reach their end of operation cycle 95% of the satellite burns up in reentry. They’re planning for 100% burn in the future.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

bradman wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:24 pm Here's the headline.

Why not

Fedorov :

Basically, Ukraine doesn’t want Russia censored.

Expect that something was lost in translation but it’s likely the implication is that sane Russians would be against the war so they want them to stand against the war.

“ Musk: Starlink Won't Block Russian News Outlets”

“ Starlink has been told by some governments (not Ukraine) to block Russian news sources. We will not do so unless at gunpoint," Musk says. "Sorry to be a free speech absolutist."

https://www.pcmag.com/news/musk-starlin ... ws-outlets
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

bradman wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:12 am Yo Rogozin, check these American broomsticks out.....

https://news.yahoo.com/elon-musk-points ... 20192.html
Elon Musk points to recent SpaceX launch to mock Russia's suggestion the US might have to fly into space on 'broomsticks' after rocket sales stop

Seems it could hurt Russia's aerospace industry far more than ours.
This is the ranting of someone who knows that the Ruskie program is in decline. Basically they won’t sell us something we had already stopped buying.

I imagine the Spacex Starship is more than Rogozin can handle. Bigger than a Saturn 5 and twice the power. The Raptor engines for Starship currently run about $2 million per. Musk expects to be cranking out 500 per year at about $500,000 per. Amazing what happens when free enterprise and ingenuity get to run rampant.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:27 pm Basically, Ukraine doesn’t want Russia censored.
Wow you catch on quick.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:35 pm Amazing what happens when free enterprise and ingenuity get to run rampant.
Isn’t it, tho!

Whyyy, it’s downright incredible how far Daddy’s Apartheid Munny can go in a country like the USA, which hands conservative white males everything you’ve got!

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:35 pm This is the ranting of someone who knows that the Ruskie program is in decline. Basically they won’t sell us something we had already stopped buying.

I imagine the Spacex Starship is more than Rogozin can handle. Bigger than a Saturn 5 and twice the power. The Raptor engines for Starship currently run about $2 million per. Musk expects to be cranking out 500 per year at about $500,000 per. Amazing what happens when free enterprise and ingenuity get to run rampant.
if this keeps up Russia won't even be able to keep their planes flying. Most of their planes are now Boeing and Airbus. Even the new certified Russian made jets use U.S. engines. They could be fitted with the one Russian engine still made, but the hot parts of that engine are American made.

Been watching this guy for quite sometime now. He explains it well......

The END of Russian Aviation?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrgI4gB5W2o
Last edited by bradman on Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:21 pm The satellite’s are equipped with an automated anti collision system. They get out of the way.

As they reach their end of operation cycle 95% of the satellite burns up in reentry. They’re planning for 100% burn in the future.
i used that link for the satellite numbers while hoping some would notice the headline......

Sounds like Poot has been worried about Starlink for quite sometime now.
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:05 am if this keeps up Russia won't even be able to keep their planes flying. Most of their planes are now Boeing and Airbus. Even the new certified Russian made jets use U.S. engines. They could be fitted with the one Russian engine still made, but the hot parts of that engine are American made.

Been watching this guy for quite sometime now. He explains it well......

The END of Russian Aviation?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrgI4gB5W2o
Thanks. I had come across this guy before, but this is a good video, the guy knows his stuff. Well, there's no chance of retrofitting planes with a new engine any time soon, so I think he's right - they're screwed. The Russian airlines will be shutting down. Hope they do it before a big accident.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:27 pm Basically, Ukraine doesn’t want Russia censored.

Expect that something was lost in translation but it’s likely the implication is that sane Russians would be against the war so they want them to stand against the war.

“ Musk: Starlink Won't Block Russian News Outlets”

“ Starlink has been told by some governments (not Ukraine) to block Russian news sources. We will not do so unless at gunpoint," Musk says. "Sorry to be a free speech absolutist."

https://www.pcmag.com/news/musk-starlin ... ws-outlets
[bold] It could be, but hasn't been confirmed.
if you go back to the source...
"We ask you to provide Ukraine with Starlink stations and to address sane Russians to stand."
Russia-Ukraine War: Ukrainian Vice PM calls for Elon Musk to, "Provide Ukraine with Starlink stations' to address sane Russians."
[bold]Which one is the right translation?

A wish? Radio Free Russia?
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:35 pm This is the ranting of someone who knows that the Ruskie program is in decline. Basically they won’t sell us something we had already stopped buying.

If anyone knows their history, then "run rampant" is quite the perfect metaphor for unregulated capitalism that can often lead to horrible consequences. Definition of "run rampant" - "to be very common or to spread very quickly and in a way that is difficult to control"

I am concerned about the plans Musk has for SpaceX. He still crashes a lot of rockets. It's not a huge problem if a Tesla breaks down. And Musk doesn't seem to be interested in perfecting something before he goes into full production.

And of course, Musk talks like all his stuff is foolproof, that it won't become space junk, that there's no danger, oh no!. Corporations will do that. After all, the Theranos testing equipment was fully operational and perfected too, wasn't it?

Unlike you, Green Grass, I'm not going to believe a word he says. I don't think Starlink should be deployed, and we'll see what Starship does. It sure as hell shouldn't go into production at this stage.