RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 836 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:51 pm 
Political Junkie

Quote:
Clinton Campaign Underestimated Sanders Strengths, Allies Say
Advisers to Hillary Clinton, including former President Bill Clinton, believe that her campaign made serious miscalculations by forgoing early attacks on Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont and failing to undercut his archliberal message before it grew into a political movement that has now put him within striking distance of beating her in Iowa and New Hampshire.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/17/us/po ... s-say.html

I like this reader comment:
Quote:
PJ Santa Barbara 21 hours ago

Am I misreading this or did Mrs. Clinton's campaign just acknowledge it was their choice when the debates would be, as they try to blame her dive-bombing popularity on her choice of when to "push for", regretting having "opted" for the exact set of debate times we coincidentally ended up with, while the other two candidates have been complaining loudly of being completely locked out of the process, wanting and being denied more debates, scheduled to have more viewers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

Location: Treasure Coast, Florida & Fairfield County, Connecticut
:arrow: What I find, and I'd like to amusing, but that's not how I feel right now, so I guess I'll go the head-scratching route, is that Hillary seems to be playing from the same playbook she used in 2008. It feels like dejavu. Even the meme that she is the "inevitable candidate" being bantered about. Nobody ever thought in 2007 when Barack Obama entered the race that he would be even on the radar let alone give Hillary Clinton fits. It does seem like it is happening again. Nobody seemed to think that Bernie could be on the radar let alone even run as good a campaign as he he seems to be and have a following, when he was down in single digits. Three weeks out from the first test of the Iowa Caucus Bernie is posing a serious threat to Hillary Clinton's inevitability, he is attracting huge numbers at rallies, raising money and inspiring people to volunteer, just like Barack Obama did 8 years ago. Now Hillary is attacking Bernie on the gun issue, much like she did with Obama. Didn't seem to get much traction but she continues to do it. Then she attacked him on single-payer universal health care, like she did to Obama and got mocked but. many in many corners, including the media for it Now, using the same recipe, the same ingredients, and as I have posted before here, why in Heaven's name does she think she is going to get a different result?!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

I get deja vu also. Getting Chelsea to attack Sanders on healthcare was low. She (Chelsea) even went so far as to suggest that republican governors wouldn't go along with a national/federal single payer or universal healthcare, as if they could do that with impunity. It would be the equivalent to Paul LePage just telling Mainers that there would be no more social security checks coming to them because he's a republican and can do that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:21 am 
Political Junkie

Chinks in the armor?

Quote:
The campaign boasted last June, when Mrs. Clinton held her kickoff event on Roosevelt Island in New York, that it had at least one paid staff member in all 50 states. But the effort did not last, and the staff members were soon let go or reassigned.
Quote:
Even though the Clinton team has sought to convey that it has built a national operation, the campaign has invested much of its resources in the Feb. 1 caucuses in Iowa, hoping that a victory there could marginalize Mr. Sanders and set Mrs. Clinton on the path to the nomination. As much as 90 percent of the campaign’s resources are now split between Iowa and the Brooklyn headquarters, according to an estimate provided by a person with direct knowledge of the spending. The campaign denied that figure.
Quote:
For all its institutional advantages, the Clinton campaign lags behind the Sanders operation in deploying paid staff members: For example, Mr. Sanders has campaign workers installed in all 11 of the states that vote on Super Tuesday. Mrs. Clinton does not, and is relying on union volunteers and members of supportive organizations such as Planned Parenthood to help her.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/19/us/po ... nders.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:51 am 
Board Emeritus

The shameful thing is that this had to be written, at all

Progressive Brothers: You Don’t Have to Hate Hillary to Love Bernie (and Don’t Drag Elizabeth Warren Into It) - Blue Nation Review

Quote:
According to the New York Times, Hillary and Bernie “voted the same way 93% of the time.”

I'm voting Bernie but honestly, anti-Hillary hate got old some time in 1993.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:04 am 
Board Emeritus

Go Bernie!

Meanwhile, from my perspective, HRC is still a far and away better choice than any of the Republican candidates.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:23 am 
Board Emeritus

From my perspective, a guy who's for campaign finance reform, more financial regulation, a living wage, for progressive economic policies, for voting reform, and, again, personally (IMHO) is better on gun control or immigration reform than the other two candidates (nobody seems able or willing to dispute this), is also being ignored.

He's asked for more debates, which will benefit both Sanders and him.

Don't see exactly why, other than yes, of course, Sanders is also for most of those same things, but even still, don't get why there isn't room for three candidates.

He resonates with Hispanic voters, a key constituency for the elections.

And, BTW, he could possibly do very well in the general election, though nobody's doing head-to-head polling on his name.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

The shameful thing is that this had to be written, at all

Progressive Brothers: You Don’t Have to Hate Hillary to Love Bernie (and Don’t Drag Elizabeth Warren Into It) - Blue Nation Review

Bernie is my third choice. I think I'll say that again, Bernie is my third choice.

I think it is fine for other folks to have Clinton as their third choice, as I think it is fine for me to have Bernie as my third choice.

The point being either he or she comes in by third choice. By the time California votes I kind of doubt that there will be all three to choose from. So I will probably vote my second choice in the primary, cause my first choice will be gone. In the general election I'm voting for one, two, or three, the one who is left.

So from a practical stand point for around here. Go Hillary! Go my second choice. Folks have probably noticed I've been sticking up for her around here. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:05 pm 
Political Junkie

From my perspective, a guy who's for campaign finance reform, more financial regulation, a living wage, for progressive economic policies, for voting reform, and, again, personally (IMHO) is better on gun control or immigration reform than the other two candidates (nobody seems able or willing to dispute this), is also being ignored.

He's asked for more debates, which will benefit both Sanders and him.

Don't see exactly why, other than yes, of course, Sanders is also for most of those same things, but even still, don't get why there isn't room for three candidates.

He resonates with Hispanic voters, a key constituency for the elections.

And, BTW, he could possibly do very well in the general election, though nobody's doing head-to-head polling on his name.

If you're talking about O'Malley, it's because against the current opponents (Dem & Rep), he isn't charismatic enough.
Whoever gets elected is going to need charisma in addition to all the other ingredients to be successful leading the nation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:20 pm 
Political Junkie

"According to the New York Times, Hillary and Bernie 'voted the same way 93% of the time.'"

Yeah, and humans share 92% of their DNA with mice. :rw)

But those other 7 or 8% can make a huge difference!

What is Clinton's position on Glass-Steagall?
Where does Clinton stand on the federal minimum wage?
Where has Clinton's position been on fracking?
What is Clinton's position on single-payer/Medicare for all?
Prior to the challenge from Sanders, what was Clinton's position on TPP?
What was Clinton's position on the Keystone XL pipeline?
Where has Clinton been on same-sex marriage?

How did Clinton vote when deciding whether to give Bush the authorization to go to war against Iraq?
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/107-2002/s237
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/107-2002/h455

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

If you're talking about O'Malley, it's because against the current opponents (Dem & Rep), he isn't charismatic enough.

Charisma is an elusive quality. Neither Bernie or Hillary strike me as being loaded with it either. They're both smart, I know Bernie is well liked, trusted, and has large rallies, but I don't think it's because he's a very charismatic man. He is certainly hitting the right themes, though, and I don't doubt his integrity or honesty, which of course matter to people.

You may or may not agree with me on this, you might not like Biden on policy or gaffe-proneness, but I think in other ways, he is more charismatic than either, which is why there was somewhat of a draft movement for him.

Quote:
Whoever gets elected is going to need charisma in addition to all the other ingredients to be successful leading the nation.

The three of them are all wonks, though not always wonkish on the same things. I think all three might be more comfortable with policy seminars than kissing babies. None of them can work a room like Bill Clinton did. There's a reason both those who love & hate him call him Slick. (I've seen the man do it.) She definitely doesn't have his charisma.

I don't think O'Malley's main problem is charisma. I would say it is that he remains mostly unknown to most people outside of Maryland (let's not forget being a Senator gives you national attention), that he has failed to say why he's the better alternative to the other two (and that is, indeed, partly the fault of him and his campaign but I have some blame for the media, see elsewhere), and finally, he is not seen as a complete outsider to the system (TM), so in a year where everybody is forced to make the Manichean choice of insider-devil or outsider-saint, he doesn't fit easily in either box.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:16 pm 
Political Junkie

I completely agree that Biden has spades more charisma than any of the others.

I didn't mean that Clinton or Sanders is especially charismatic. Neither is, although Clinton has improved compared to how she used to be, and I think Sanders is moreso than she is.
What I meant is that by comparison to those two (and some of the Republicans), O'Malley is woefully under-charismatic.
In a different race, O'Malley might be just fine. Just not in this race.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, and humans share 92% of their DNA with mice. :rw)

But those other 7 or 8% can make a huge difference!

What is Clinton's position on Glass-Steagall?
Where does Clinton stand on the federal minimum wage?
Where has Clinton's position been on fracking?
What is Clinton's position on single-payer/Medicare for all?
Prior to the challenge from Sanders, what was Clinton's position on TPP?
What was Clinton's position on the Keystone XL pipeline?
Where has Clinton been on same-sex marriage?

How did Clinton vote when deciding whether to give Bush the authorization to go to war against Iraq?
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/107-2002/s237
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/107-2002/h455

Frësch, I spect you could make a good run on finding the answers for that list of questions over at Clinton's web site, or by using Google.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:32 pm 
Political Junkie

Hillary Clinton is shameless.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Quote:
Blixer: But are you the establishment?
Clinton: I just don't understand what that means. He's been in Congress, he's been elected to office a lot longer than I have. I was in the Senate for 8 wonderful years representing New York. He's been in the Congress for 25, and so I'll let your viewers make their own judgment.

Notice how Clinton conveniently acts like the 8 years her husband served as president, during which she served as a very involved First Lady, don't count?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

She's also right.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:54 am 
Board Emeritus

Well...it's not really a fair question. It's like the inverse of "anybody that says they're cool, isn't cool."

Plus, the whole point of a phrase like "the establishment" is to implicate more than an individual.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:57 am 
Board Emeritus

I guess my reaction to this is ... OK, so NARAL and Human Rights Campaign and Planned Parenthood are part of the Democratic "establishment".

So? I don't know exactly what that means (as an accusation) or why it's supposed to bother me.

Things have to get "established" to start getting things done. It was fine when Margaret Sanger was a lone crusader for birth control, but PP is now an "establishment" that carries on her work, as a larger, more concerted organization. I view that as a good thing.

This whole insider/outsider/anti-establishment vibe never really has resonated with me. The problem with anti-establishment rhetoric is first I need to see your counter-narrative. David Duke criticizes the "establishment" for being too racially integrated and mixed. Not all counter-establishment voices offer better alternatives. Adolf Hitler started out as a little rabble-rousing anti-establishmentarian, and then ... well, we know what we got.

I get it. Money in politics is the key thing. Overturning CU, critical, reinstating campaign finance reform, essential. That said, though, I see a variety of Democrats articulating these issues, both inside and outside Washington/the Beltway, some in office or key organizations, some not. There is no monolithic Democratic establishment opposing moving forward on these things, although I will agree some Dems are being rather useless in the fight and sometimes even getting directly in the way. Those douchebags do need to go.

All I can say is ... my personal view is such orgs should make no endorsements during primaries, only during the general. But they didn't ask me. However, the other thing I would say to some hardcore Berniebros is ... maybe, just maybe, they didn't make the endorsement you wanted for reasons other than them being "corrupt" or "evil" (which, esp. with PP, reinforces the Republican attack machine against it)... I like that Bernie came around to articulating this point, and his supporters should understand it.

They may not have made the endorsement you wanted, I would even agree that you're right there is no reason to prefer HRC over Sanders on reproductive rights issues, so they might be making that decision based on other criteria ... even ones you could question the validity of ... just don't repeat accusations against them that in many cases echo the Republican attack campaign on these organizations.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

"The establishment" belongs in Cliche Watch.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:48 pm 
Political Junkie

She's also right.

She's right that Sanders has served in an office in Washington to which he personally was elected for more years than she has, although, as I noted above, that is misleading.

But she's wrong to suggest that it is Sanders rather than she who is part of the group that political insiders will "circle the wagons" around to protect. The way his campaign was largely ignored by the media until just a few months ago is testament to that (the media can read Washington insider as well as anybody can).

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Quote:
Hillary boils over at what she perceives as a double standard—that the press has shied away from investigating long-standing rumors about George Bush. “I had tea with Anne Cox Chambers [the heiress who is chairwoman of her media empire’s Atlanta newspaper group],” Hillary recalled to me in a later interview, “and she’s sittin’ there in her sun-room saying, ‘You know, I just don’t understand why they think they can get away with this—everybody knows about George Bush,’ and then launches into this long description of, you know, Bush and his carrying on, all of which is apparently well known in Washington. But I’m convinced part of it is that the Establishment—regardless of party—sticks together. They’re gonna circle the wagons on Jennifer _ and all these other people.” (Anne Cox Chambers remembers telling Hillary, “I don’t understand why nothing’s ever been said about a George Bush girlfriend—I understand he has a Jennifer, too.”)
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/1992/05/ ... presidency

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Des Moines Register - Endorsement: Hillary Clinton has needed knowledge, experience

If there’s one thing Democrats and Republicans agree on this year, it’s the fact that the next president will face enormous challenges.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /79240238/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:00 am 
Board Emeritus

Clinton can't defend her political contributions from Goldman Sachs, CitiGroup, and JP Morgan, so she attacks Sanders as going after her Planned Parenthood support as an attack on the "establishment." She knows damn well what Sanders meant, hence this BS defense of her endorsements.

The term "establishment" has come to represent the, as the msm now calls, "donor class." Clinton gets her campaign donations from the SuperPAC's (i.e., "donor class.") The establishment also refers to people like Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, those with political power and clout who are the "king makers" or "queen makers." They know all the right connections to the ones with the cash. The ones who write the rules and the legislation. The ones who really own our government.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:11 am 
Board Emeritus

Well, again, terms matter. "The donor class".

Planned Parenthood has a PAC. They donate to campaigns. They lobby, they have lobbyists.

The question is what are you lobbying for? Better health care for women, including but not limited to contraception.

I'm OK with that 'establishment'.

I do believe we need to do something about CU and SuperPACs, and reinstate campaign finance reform, and part of that has to be no anonymity for donors. Sorry, there must be sunlight, transparency. We shouldn't be allowing corporate lobbyists to write our legislation and control our gov't. Totally onboard. ALEC needs to be exposed, that's their "front" on the state legislature level.

... Bernie's not the only one saying that, not even the only one doing anything about it.

... I might even agree with folks saying PP, HuRC, NARAL made the wrong decision (both to endorse in the primaries, or to then make the wrong choice) ... I just don't agree that that means they are part of some 'corrupt establishment'. Because then that buys into Rethuglican rhetoric against these organizations, and reinforces it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

[quote="ProfessorX » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:11 am

... I might even agree with folks saying PP, HuRC, NARAL made the wrong decision (both to endorse in the primaries, or to then make the wrong choice) ... I just don't agree that that means they are part of some 'corrupt establishment'. Because then that buys into Rethuglican rhetoric against these organizations, and reinforces it.[/quote]

True. But I think Clinton was trying to promote the idea that Sanders was attacking PP as part of the corrupt, big corporations establishment.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sanders hasn't attacked Planed Parenthood directly, nor as far as I am aware did Clinton attack Sanders for directly attacking PP. She doesn't think Sanders is against PP.

Where this comes up is PP is funded in part by the Federal government, and under Obamacare PP continues to receive federal support. Clinton's claim is if Sanders gets on the bully pulpit, and stirs up the issue again with the Congress we have now in trying to bring us his plan the result would be the lose of Obamacare and PP.

She's saying its a good idea, its the timing, it really is a case of bad timing. It is a good idea, the timing of it is horrible.

I have a favorite old saw, "let sleeping dogs lie." Experience has taught me, if I haven't the support to change something the way I want it to be, don't stir the issue up and make the situation worse.

What happens is the issue once raised, it will take on a life of its own once Congress takes it up. Sanders might start the processes in a lame attempt from the bully pulpit, because he campaigned upon it to achieve a good end. But in the wrong hands (our current Congress) that end is unlikely to materialize out of thin air, and what is more likely to happen is what we have will be torn asunder if the issue is brought up at the wrong time.

The Congress we have now and the Congress we are likely to have even after an election where we win will not have the level of support we would need to control the mark up process.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

I sure hope Noam has security detail after this

Noam Chomsky tells ‘UpFront’ he would “absolutely” vote for Hillary Clinton - Al Jazeera interview

Quote:
Noam Chomsky Says he would “absolutely” vote for Hillary Clinton over any Republican candidate, if he lived in a swing state

Calls Bernie Sanders a “New Dealer”, rather than a socialist, who “doesn’t have much of a chance"·

Says there are “enormous differences” between the policies of the Democrats and the Republicans

Dismisses "hysterical, slanderous” criticism from new atheist author Sam Harris and says the latter’s rhetoric “looks like” Islamophobia.

Stop calling the cops on us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 836 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 34  Next