Vaccines

News and events of the day
sam lefthand

Vaccines

Post by sam lefthand »

On the Vaccine front, California's useless rubber stamp regulator board added their useless rubber stamp of approval to the FDA and CDC's approval for Moderna and J&J vaccine boosters over the weekend. They managed to apply their utter uselessness to clog the wheels of progress for an 48 additional hours.

California's "My Turn" web site has since been up dated by competent programmers as of about noon yesterday, and with that we're in business. Go there to set up for your booster shots. Immediate appointments slots are available.

https://myturn.ca.gov/

They can also set people up for their flu shots.

Mixing or matching is allowed.

:)

Everyone who had Moderna shots in my family now have an appointment set up for Thursday morning.
sam lefthand

Re: Vaccines

Post by sam lefthand »

Number6

Post by Number6 »

Merck signed a royalty-free licensing deal to expand global access to its pill to treat patients with mild-to-moderate COVID symptoms.
Merck has signed a landmark voluntary licensing deal with the UN-backed Medicines Patent Pool to expand low-cost access to its Covid-19 antiviral pill throughout the developing world.

It is one of the first royalty-free licensing agreements struck by a pharmaceutical company for a key Covid-19 medical technology and should boost generic manufacturing of Merck’s drug molnupiravir if it is authorised by regulators, according to experts.

Charles Gore, executive director of the Medicines Patent Pool, said Merck’s agreement was the first of its kind during the pandemic and would make molnupiravir more widely available in more than 100 nations.
Financial Times
When you vote left, you vote right.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Then he & the unvaccinated members are GOP plants they should be fired.

NYC firefighters union leader tells unvaccinated members to defy mandate

The head of New York City's firefighters union said on Wednesday that he has advised unvaccinated members to disregard Mayor Bill de Blasio's (D) order placing city workers on unpaid leave if they didn't get vaccinated.

"I have told my members that if they choose to remain unvaccinated, they must still report for duty," Andrew Ansbro said during a news conference, according to Reuters.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... fy-mandate
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

ap215 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:12 am Then he & the unvaccinated members are GOP plants they should be fired.
Yeah, stinky plants like the Rafflesia.

"Flowers of plants in the genus Rafflesia (family Rafflesiaceae) emit an odor similar to that of decaying meat. This odor attracts the flies that pollinate the plant."

sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Number6

Post by Number6 »

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate, what are the odds? The CDC say vaccinations offer five times the protection than that of acquired immunity.
Vaccination is over five times more effective at preventing COVID-19 than immunity acquired by contracting and recovering from the virus, according to a new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The study, published Friday in the CDC journal Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report found that vaccine-induced immunity was 5.49 times more protective than immunity from infection. The study analyzed data from the VISION Network, which includes 187 hospitals across nine states. The results contradict an Israeli study released in August, which found that those who had previously been infected with COVID-19 were significantly less likely to become infected with the Delta variant than the vaccinated.

The vaccines included in the study were the mRNA shots produced by Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech. Results aligned with other recent research showing that the Moderna vaccine was somewhat more effective at preventing infections, although both vaccines offered significant protection and each were superior to natural immunity. The Johnson & Johnson vaccine was not included in the study.
MSN
When you vote left, you vote right.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

LA Sheriff Warns Of 'Mass Exodus' Of Deputies Because of Vaccine Mandate - LAist
“I could potentially lose 44% of my workforce in one day,” [Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex] Villanueva wrote Thursday in an open letter to the Board of Supervisors.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Drak »

The anti vax crowd has been ranting about break through cases, claiming this renders vaccines useless. But vaccines not only protect us from getting sick, they also help stop infected people from spreading the disease.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... accinated/
A recent study found that vaccinated people infected with the delta variant are 63 per cent less likely to infect people who are unvaccinated.

This is only slightly lower than with the alpha variant, says Brechje de Gier at the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment in the Netherlands, who led the study. Her team had previously found that vaccinated people infected with alpha were 73 per cent less likely to infect unvaccinated people.

What is important to realise, de Gier says, is that the full effect of vaccines on reducing transmission is even higher than 63 per cent, because most vaccinated people don’t become infected in the first place.

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... z7AyYtOxAa
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Drak wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:20 am The anti vax crowd has been ranting about break through cases, claiming this renders vaccines useless. But vaccines not only protect us from getting sick, they also help stop infected people from spreading the disease.

Think for a minute how stupid they are. Because of trump and kushner we have 700K dead when we would have had less than 50K dead if Hillary had been prez, this is clearly proven when one looks at the South Korea protocol and numbers.

But that isnt good enough for them, is it Drak, they want to KILL MORE thru their stupidity...AMAZING :twisted:
I sigh in your general direction.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Libertas wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:19 am Think for a minute how stupid they are. Because of trump and kushner we have 700K dead when we would have had less than 50K dead if Hillary had been prez, this is clearly proven when one looks at the South Korea protocol and numbers.

But that isnt good enough for them, is it Drak, they want to KILL MORE thru their stupidity...AMAZING :twisted:
The anti vax messaging is all part of one plan. Driving the country into chaos is the plan. It's the same plan that lead to the attack on Jan 6. Same plan as "angry parents" showing up at school boards threatening people's lives, and the same plan threatening the lives of election officials for not conducing fraudits or turning the election over to Trump. Same plan as a "crisis at the border" and "cancelling Christmas."

gounion

Post by gounion »

NYPD union head said vaccine mandate would take 10,000 officers off the street. Instead, it's 34.
Toonces

Post by Toonces »

Drak wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:20 am The anti vax crowd has been ranting about break through cases, claiming this renders vaccines useless. But vaccines not only protect us from getting sick, they also help stop infected people from spreading the disease.

I wear a seatbelt because it helps protect my life. Seatbelts are not perfect, you can still get injured or die in a car accident. To me, it would seem foolish to not wear a seatbelt based on the reasoning of "one might die anyway". Wearing one vastly improves your odds of surviving a potential car accident, and also reduces the injuries you might sustain.

I feel the same way about helmets when riding the bike. Mostly, I wear a helmet because there are people like me driving cars.

To a lesser degree, and this does actually factor into my decision (not that it would make the difference) but if I were in an accident, I'd prefer that the emergency people not have to deal with the carnage that would come from not wearing a seatbelt.

Obviously, wearing a seatbelt does not make a large impact on the safety of other people, so that's why we have laws that govern how a person can drive and, for the most part, we are willing to sacrifice some autonomy on that front in order to avoid injuring others (and, sure, causing us additional expense).

If there is ever a vaccine for something such as cancer (they are doing mNRA research for it), we best hope that it is not politized. While it isn't contagious we'd still look like fools as a race if people continued to die of cancer. I shall end that here before I go off on a fuck cancer screed.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Toonces wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:58 pm I wear a seatbelt because it helps protect my life. Seatbelts are not perfect, you can still get injured or die in a car accident. To me, it would seem foolish to not wear a seatbelt based on the reasoning of "one might die anyway". Wearing one vastly improves your odds of surviving a potential car accident, and also reduces the injuries you might sustain.

I feel the same way about helmets when riding the bike. Mostly, I wear a helmet because there are people like me driving cars.

To a lesser degree, and this does actually factor into my decision (not that it would make the difference) but if I were in an accident, I'd prefer that the emergency people not have to deal with the carnage that would come from not wearing a seatbelt.

Obviously, wearing a seatbelt does not make a large impact on the safety of other people, so that's why we have laws that govern how a person can drive and, for the most part, we are willing to sacrifice some autonomy on that front in order to avoid injuring others (and, sure, causing us additional expense).

If there is ever a vaccine for something such as cancer (they are doing mNRA research for it), we best hope that it is not politized. While it isn't contagious we'd still look like fools as a race if people continued to die of cancer. I shall end that here before I go off on a fuck cancer screed.
There are all sorts of laws and regulations in place that people have to abide by. I know there are anti vaxxers who think there's a conspiracy via the government and big pharma to poison them or implant them with micro chips, but there are also anti vaxxers who just don't like being told what to do, so they're defiant with childish stupidity. The fact is, we already have seatbelt laws, proof of age laws, proof of driving certification, etc., as well as vaccine mandates for schools and the military that have been in place for decades.

Drak

Post by Drak »

This is the Newsmax WH correspondent.

Toonces

Post by Toonces »

Drak wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:15 am This is the Newsmax WH correspondent.

On one hand, it's the pharmaceutical companies conspiring to do things to people for profit, on the other hand, it's those same people accusing those same companies of doing things that would cost them a lot of money.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

Drak wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:15 am This is the Newsmax WH correspondent.

This may be part of the problem.

NEW
COVID-19 Research
Luciferase assays to aid in your COVID-19 vaccine research

https://www.moleculardevices.com/sites/ ... .html#gref

Who names their product Luciferase??
Drak

Post by Drak »

Except the name Luciferase has been around since the early 20th century.

And the right wing disinformation networks have been calling the vaccines the mark of the beast from the beginning, before they even knew what luciferase was.

It's childish and dumb. And dangerous to keep spreading antivax disinformation.

gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:00 am This may be part of the problem.

NEW
COVID-19 Research
Luciferase assays to aid in your COVID-19 vaccine research

https://www.moleculardevices.com/sites/ ... .html#gref

Who names their product Luciferase??
First, are you DEFENDING this tweet? Why am I not surprised?

And second (as Drak pointed out):
Luciferase is a generic term for the class of oxidative enzymes that produce bioluminescence, and is usually distinguished from a photoprotein. The name was first used by Raphaël Dubois who invented the words luciferin and luciferase, for the substrate and enzyme, respectively.[1] Both words are derived from the Latin word lucifer, meaning "lightbearer", which in turn is derived from the Latin words for "light" (lux) and "to bring or carry" (ferre).[2]

Luciferases are widely used in biotechnology, for microscopy and as reporter genes, for many of the same applications as fluorescent proteins. However, unlike fluorescent proteins, luciferases do not require an external light source, but do require addition of luciferin, the consumable substrate.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:17 am First, are you DEFENDING this tweet? Why am I not surprised?

And second (as Drak pointed out):
Thats just an unsurprisingly stupid assumption on your part.

You can’t understand the statement - who names their product lucferase?

You couldn’t understand - The biggest disappointment experienced by repub Presidents is their Supreme Court appointments.

Your interpretive skills are horrendously lacking.

From here on I’ll not comment on your posts.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:33 am Thats just an unsurprisingly stupid assumption on your part.

You couldn’t understand - The biggest disappointment experienced by repub Presidents is their Supreme Court appointments.

Yep, you were defending it. You blamed the name of the product, instead of the person making the tweet.

And it wasn't even the name of the product - it was the name of the chemical.

Not my problem if you can't deal with people showing the silliness of your posts. But hey, it does seem you understand your limitations. If you don't have the ability to reply or defend what you write, then you shouldn't comment. But it won't stop me.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Bludogdem wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:33 am Thats just an unsurprisingly stupid assumption on your part.

Except that's what the chemical has been called since the early 20th century. That's the official name. It's a generic term. But you didn't bother to check that out before you posted.

If the vaccination companies changed the name because they suddenly thought about the idiots who might believe the name implies that it contains Satan's cocktail (normal, reasonable people don't even think this way), the RW disinformation networks would find out about the name change and then go off with the same childish bullshit. "Hey they changed the name, it was called Luciferase before! They're trying to hide that this stuff is demon juice!"

Let's evolve here. We shouldn't be moving back to medieval times and pushing really stupid batshit crazy conspiracy theories.

And it looks like the idiot deleted her tweet.

Mediaite Verified
@Mediaite
Newsmax White House Reporter Deletes Tweet Claiming Covid Vaccine Contains a Satan-Involved Tracker

Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Drak wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:44 am Except that's what the chemical has been called since the early 20th century. That's the official name. It's a generic term. But you didn't bother to check that out before you posted.

If the vaccination companies changed the name because they suddenly thought about the idiots who might believe the name implies that it contains Satan's cocktail (normal, reasonable people don't even think this way), the RW disinformation networks would find out about the name change and then go off with the same childish bullshit. "Hey they changed the name, it was called Luciferase before! They're trying to hide that this stuff is demon juice!"

Let's evolve here. We shouldn't be moving back to medieval times and pushing really stupid batshit crazy conspiracy theories.

And it looks like the idiot deleted her tweet.

Mediaite Verified
@Mediaite
Newsmax White House Reporter Deletes Tweet Claiming Covid Vaccine Contains a Satan-Involved Tracker
Dear GOD I cant believe what I am reading in this thread. Did someone actually express concern over the NAME of a drug because it sounds similar to the made up evil guy? I sure hope an alien race lands and soon to save us.

ps

NONE of this anti vax/mask exists outside of the RFK Jr brigade, NONE but for comments made

by a person who has been proven to be the dumbest adult on earth.

If that does not drive you mad, nothing else ever will.
I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

:? wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:33 am Thats just an unsurprisingly stupid assumption on your part.
Given your defensiveness, no, it isn't.

Blue dogs are just conservatives without the courage or integrity to say they're conservatives.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ap215 »

Biden's vaccine mandate to be enforced after the New Year, offering U.S. companies relief

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Joe Biden will begin enforcing his mandate that private-sector workers be vaccinated against COVID-19 or be tested weekly starting Jan. 4, in a reprieve to companies struggling with labor shortages during the crucial U.S. holiday season.

U.S. officials on Thursday also said a requirement that federal contractors be vaccinated was moved back a month to the same date. Millions of workers in healthcare facilities and nursing homes participating in Medicare and Medicaid will need to get their shots by Jan. 4 as well.

https://www.aol.com/news/bidens-vaccine ... 58507.html