Comey and McCabe randomly AUDITED , uh huh, by the IRS after...

News and events of the day
gounion

Re: Comey and McCabe randomly AUDITED , uh huh, by the IRS after...

Post by gounion »

Glennfs wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:57 pm https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1CV1TY

You claim this never happened. Even though the DOJ reached a settlement with the 41 plaintiffs and prior to that President Obama fired the man in charge
Yeah, the Trump DOJ - under Jeff Sessions, pled guilty for the Obama Administration.

Isn't that great of them? :lol: :lol: :lol:
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:39 pm I have disagreed many times with Trump on this board. So you completely misrepresent and distort. I haven’t seen evidence either way. Someone posted that the Inspector General is looking into both cases. However, if you think someone else needs to look at this, I am all in favor. Investigate. Hold hearings. As I said. Handle all such cases the same no matter who resides in the Oval Office.

Are you willing to say the same??? All such abuse gets treated the same. No picking winners and losers.
No you really haven't. You've just ignored any thread having anything to do with him. You never say yourself that he did anything wrong. You just say "investigations".
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:47 pm No you really haven't. You've just ignored any thread having anything to do with him. You never say yourself that he did anything wrong. You just say "investigations".
They all ignore the most heinous and sickening news stories about not just traitor trump but all GOP.

But we do not do the same if and when a Dem does something bad, which happens so RARE that we dont see much of it here. But I was the first to report about the Biden admin supporting an anti choice judge...at least I think I posted here, I meant to if I didn't.
I sigh in your general direction.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:47 pm No you really haven't. You've just ignored any thread having anything to do with him. You never say yourself that he did anything wrong. You just say "investigations".
You ignored every post where I was critical of him.

But it doesn’t matter. What matters is that I think that all these type of abuse of power be treated the same regardless of party and politics. I have said that over and over in this thread. You can’t bring yourself to make the statement. You aren’t for equal justice under the law. You want to pick winners and losers based on party affiliation. If I’m wrong feel free to correct me.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:51 pm You ignored every post where I was critical of him.

But it doesn’t matter. What matters is that I think that all these type of abuse of power be treated the same regardless of party and politics. I have said that over and over in this thread. You can’t bring yourself to make the statement. You aren’t for equal justice under the law. You want to pick winners and losers based on party affiliation. If I’m wrong feel free to correct me.
So tell us what Trump did wrong. Go ahead.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:40 pm So tell us what Trump did wrong. Go ahead.
Not going down that rabbit hole with you. Tell you what. You produce a single post where I ever supported or defended him.

This is a thread about abuse of power. Specifically using the IRS as a political weapon.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:47 pm Not going down that rabbit hole with you. Tell you what. You produce a single post where I ever supported or defended him.

This is a thread about abuse of power. Specifically using the IRS as a political weapon.
Yep, you never did. You can't. You just ignore him and all threads specifically about him. In threads like this, you certainly don't say you think Trump might do such a thing, you just attack Democrats. You haven't said a word against Trump. Do you not think he'd be capable of ordering such an action? Another question you won't answer.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:07 pm Yep, you never did. You can't. You just ignore him and all threads specifically about him. In threads like this, you certainly don't say you think Trump might do such a thing, you just attack Democrats. You haven't said a word against Trump. Do you not think he'd be capable of ordering such an action? Another question you won't answer.
You investigate these things to find facts. You prefer to speculate. I haven’t seen either of these two mens tax returns. I bet you haven’t seen them either. I haven’t seen the paper trail at the IRS. Do I think Elected officials are capable of abusing the power we vest in them. Yep. That’s why we need to investigate objectively and independently all such allegations. The fact that I haven’t opposed any of these investigations would seem to indicate that I believe such individuals are capable of abuse.

So do you think all of these types of abuse should be independently and thoroughly investigated? Simple question which you seem to have great difficulty answering.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:33 pm You investigate these things to find facts. You prefer to speculate. I haven’t seen either of these two mens tax returns. I bet you haven’t seen them either. I haven’t seen the paper trail at the IRS. Do I think Elected officials are capable of abusing the power we vest in them. Yep. That’s why we need to investigate objectively and independently all such allegations. The fact that I haven’t opposed any of these investigations would seem to indicate that I believe such individuals are capable of abuse.

So do you think all of these types of abuse should be independently and thoroughly investigated? Simple question which you seem to have great difficulty answering.
I already answered.

And, as always, you run the fuck away from saying ANYTHING bad about Trump, except that you "don't support him".

You won't even say a word about what he did on Jan. 6th.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:46 pm I already answered.

And, as always, you run the fuck away from saying ANYTHING bad about Trump, except that you "don't support him".

You won't even say a word about what he did on Jan. 6th.
I already did. Many times. You simply ignore it. If you are so obsessed with it then why don’t you go back and look.

I don’t support Trump. Never supported Trump. I’m just not obsessed with Trump. If you are looking to debate someone who supports the man, then you are wasting your time with me. I also don’t spend much time criticizing Biden.

I do take issue with many of the policies of the current administration and the Democratic Party.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

“ The New York Times, which first reported the audits, said Comey’s audit began in 2019 and focused on his 2017 tax return, the year he signed a seven-figure book deal. McCabe’s audit began in 2021, months into the Biden administration, and focused on his tax return for 2019.”

“ The initiative under which they were audited — now known as the National Research Program — was designed as a teeth-pulling process to help the IRS determine which taxpayers are most likely not to pay all the taxes they owe. In past years, roughly 15,000 taxpayers were randomly audited annually, though budget cuts have lowered the number recently. The unit is staffed by modelers, statisticians and research analysts.
“This is either the most brazen of crimes involving manipulation of audit processes or a complete statistical fluke,” said Joseph Rillotta, a former counsel to the IRS commissioner now in private practice as a white-collar tax attorney.
Andrew McCabe wins back pension after being fired by Trump
As a rule, taxpayers with employers — those who file W-2 forms — tend to evade taxes less frequently than self-employed people, whose compliance rate can fall below 50 percent. So the IRS program can tend to oversample self-employed workers, a category into which Comey and McCabe may have fallen when they left the government after Trump fired them, according to one senior IRS official who like others in this report spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the agency’s process.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... ey-mccabe/

“ James Comey is swimming in cash between six-figure speaking fees, writing contracts, and his book deal”

“ Comey recently gave talks at Yale, the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, and the Sacramento Speaker Series, and he's due to speak at "Politicon" in Nashville later this month.

He also has a contract to write opinion columns for The Washington Post, according to the NYT.

And then there's the forthcoming CBS Studios miniseries, in which he'll be portrayed by actor Jeff Daniels. The series is based on Comey's bestselling 2018 book, "A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies and Leadership," which reportedly netted him millions as well.

Of course, Comey was already a multimillionaire before accepting the job in 2013 as FBI director under President Barack Obama. In financial filings, he reported a
net worth of $11 million, not including an anticipated $3 million payout from hedge-fund “

https://www.businessinsider.com/million ... al-2019-10

Comey’s financial life is obviously complicated. The kind of complicated that could trigger an audit through the National Research Program”.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:46 pm “ The New York Times, which first reported the audits, said Comey’s audit began in 2019 and focused on his 2017 tax return, the year he signed a seven-figure book deal. McCabe’s audit began in 2021, months into the Biden administration, and focused on his tax return for 2019.”

“ The initiative under which they were audited — now known as the National Research Program — was designed as a teeth-pulling process to help the IRS determine which taxpayers are most likely not to pay all the taxes they owe. In past years, roughly 15,000 taxpayers were randomly audited annually, though budget cuts have lowered the number recently. The unit is staffed by modelers, statisticians and research analysts.
“This is either the most brazen of crimes involving manipulation of audit processes or a complete statistical fluke,” said Joseph Rillotta, a former counsel to the IRS commissioner now in private practice as a white-collar tax attorney.
As a rule, taxpayers with employers — those who file W-2 forms — tend to evade taxes less frequently than self-employed people, whose compliance rate can fall below 50 percent. So the IRS program can tend to oversample self-employed workers, a category into which Comey and McCabe may have fallen when they left the government after Trump fired them, according to one senior IRS official who like others in this report spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the agency’s process.”

“ James Comey is swimming in cash between six-figure speaking fees, writing contracts, and his book deal”

“ Comey recently gave talks at Yale, the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, and the Sacramento Speaker Series, and he's due to speak at "Politicon" in Nashville later this month.

He also has a contract to write opinion columns for The Washington Post, according to the NYT.

And then there's the forthcoming CBS Studios miniseries, in which he'll be portrayed by actor Jeff Daniels. The series is based on Comey's bestselling 2018 book, "A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies and Leadership," which reportedly netted him millions as well.

Of course, Comey was already a multimillionaire before accepting the job in 2013 as FBI director under President Barack Obama. In financial filings, he reported a
net worth of $11 million, not including an anticipated $3 million payout from hedge-fund “

Comey’s financial life is obviously complicated. The kind of complicated that could trigger an audit through the National Research Program”.
{Bold} Chuckle.
Last edited by bradman on Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
bradman

Post by bradman »

delete
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:46 pm “ The New York Times, which first reported the audits, said Comey’s audit began in 2019 and focused on his 2017 tax return, the year he signed a seven-figure book deal. McCabe’s audit began in 2021, months into the Biden administration, and focused on his tax return for 2019.”

I take it you don't understand the definition of the word "random".
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:55 pm I already did. Many times. You simply ignore it. If you are so obsessed with it then why don’t you go back and look.

I don’t support Trump. Never supported Trump. I’m just not obsessed with Trump. If you are looking to debate someone who supports the man, then you are wasting your time with me. I also don’t spend much time criticizing Biden.

I do take issue with many of the policies of the current administration and the Democratic Party.
And you're just here to attack the Dems, ignoring what your party is doing.

Tell me Joe, do you consider Trump becoming President in 2024 a threat to democracy?
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:54 am And you're just here to attack the Dems, ignoring what your party is doing.

Tell me Joe, do you consider Trump becoming President in 2024 a threat to democracy?
I don’t own a party. Don’t claim a party.

Explain to me what that has to do with the OP other than it’s just another attempt by you to derail the thread to talk about one of your two favorite obsessions?

No. I don’t think one man is capable of taking down our democracy. If Trump does run again, he will not get my vote. I haven’t changed my opinion of him from the day he announced his first run.

If you want to discuss the IRS abuse of power, I’m all ears. If all you want to do is talk about Trump, then I’m bored.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:37 am I don’t own a party. Don’t claim a party.

Explain to me what that has to do with the OP other than it’s just another attempt by you to derail the thread to talk about one of your two favorite obsessions?

No. I don’t think one man is capable of taking down our democracy. If Trump does run again, he will not get my vote. I haven’t changed my opinion of him from the day he announced his first run.

If you want to discuss the IRS abuse of power, I’m all ears. If all you want to do is talk about Trump, then I’m bored.
So the insurrection was no big deal to you, eh? Just some patriotic protesters killing cops, right?

Oh, of course, you’re okay with an “investigation”, but not Congress looking into it.

What bullshit. The only IRS abuse of power YOU want to discuss is the Democrats.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Still haven't seen what supposed massive financial windfall triggered McCabe's audit.

I'll wait. :D
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:35 am So the insurrection was no big deal to you, eh? Just some patriotic protesters killing cops, right?

Oh, of course, you’re okay with an “investigation”, but not Congress looking into it.

What bullshit.
Not what I said.

This thread isn’t about Jan 6. Pretty sure there’s already a thread on that. If you want to discuss Jan 6, perhaps that’s the place for you.

Since you appear to have nothing to add to this topic, I assume this conversation is done.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:39 am Not what I said.
It never is. You always run away, so that’s your acceptance of an attempted coup. It that had been a Dem, that’s all you would want to talk about. You certainly will never watch or read about the investigation by the Committee.
This thread isn’t about Jan 6. Pretty sure there’s already a thread on that. If you want to discuss Jan 6, perhaps that’s the place for you.
It never is. You always run away, so that’s your acceptance of an attempted coup. It that had been a Dem, that’s all you would want to talk about. You certainly will never watch or read about the investigation by the Committee.

But you will certainly run away from any discussion because you were probably cheering the cop-killers.[/quote]
Since you appear to have nothing to add to this topic, I assume this conversation is done.
No, you won’t. You can’t help yourself.
gounion

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:38 am Still haven't seen what supposed massive financial windfall triggered McCabe's audit.

But hey it’s perfectly reasonable to audit Comey, after all, he wrote a tell-all book on Trump, right?
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

ProfX wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:38 am Still haven't seen what supposed massive financial windfall triggered McCabe's audit.

Me too.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:03 amMe too.
Trump tried to steal McCabe’s pension, of course he would order an audit. But you don’t think Trump would ever do anything underhanded, do you?
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:53 am I take it you don't understand the definition of the word "random".
I guess you don’t understand “in the past”.

“was designed as a teeth-pulling process to help the IRS determine which taxpayers are most likely not to pay all the taxes they owe. In past years, roughly 15,000 taxpayers were randomly audited annually”

When random isn’t really random.

“ Why am I being selected for an audit?
Selection for an audit does not always suggest there’s a problem. The IRS uses several different methods:

Random selection and computer screening - sometimes returns are selected based solely on a statistical formula. We compare your tax return against “norms” for similar returns. We develop these “norms” from audits of a statistically valid random sample of returns, as part of the National Research Program the IRS conducts. The IRS uses this program to update return selection information.
Related examinations – we may select your returns when they involve issues or transactions with other taxpayers, such as business partners or investors, whose returns were selected for audit.
Next, an experienced auditor reviews the return. They may accept it; or if the auditor notes something questionable, they will identify the items noted and forward the return for assignment to an examination group.”

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-bu ... irs-audits

This is a complex statistical evaluation process. It isn’t random.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:05 am Trump tried to steal McCabe’s pension, of course he would order an audit. But you don’t think Trump would ever do anything underhanded, do you?
If Trump did order an audit then the IRS IG will probably be able to prove that. It is my understanding that the IG is looking into the matter.

If such an audit was ordered for purely political reasons, that would be an abuse of power.

I guess we will have to wait and see what the IG is able to find.