Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

ACLU to spend $25 million in 2018 elections: report

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is set to spend $25 million on the 2018 elections, according to a new report.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... ons-report

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:38 am 
Board Emeritus

I'm really sorry to hear about that.

:(

The ACLU was formed in 1920, I suppose 98 years is a good long run.

It had been getting kind of cranky the last few year, I would get upset with it, tell the telephone fund raisers no.

:(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:50 am 
Board Emeritus

The ACLU is better than ever, membership has boomed as people realize how important the organization is. I'm glad they are involved and raising funds.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:47 am 
Board Emeritus

The ACLU just became a wing of the Democratic Party. Sure I could say that is good. But it was good that it was independent and above the fray. Now the last remnant of what it was about it that was special is gone. Now it's just another damned political PAC raising funds that has 25 million to burn.

I give all of my political funds through the union, I will be telling the ACLU fundraisers no. :|

GoUnion I remember when the NRA was not a wing of the Republican party. It was for everyone, I was a member, although to both have been a member and remember when it died, (just like the ACLU has now died), I was thirteen or fourteen at the time. I was a gifted marksman, pet of my local gun club and rifle range. I was competing with the adults.

The NRA became a wing of the Republican party and practically overnight it destroyed that. It happened at the national level and it destroyed my gun club and rifle range at the local level. It caused a huge fight at our club, all the Democrats walked out and never walked back in, poof that was gone.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:53 am 
Board Emeritus

The ACLU just became a wing of the Democratic Party. Sure I could say that is good. But it was good that it was independent and above the fray. Now the last remnant of what it was about it that was special is gone. Now it's just another damned political PAC raising funds that has 25 million to burn.

I give all of my political funds through the union, I will be telling the ACLU fundraisers no. :|

GoUnion I remember when the NRA was not a wing of the Republican party. It was for everyone, I was a member, although to both have been a member and remember when it died, (just like the ACLU has now died), I was thirteen or fourteen at the time. I was a gifted marksman, pet of my local gun club and rifle range. I was competing with the adults.

The NRA became a wing of the Republican party and practically overnight it destroyed that. It happened at the national level and it destroyed my gun club and rifle range at the local level. It caused a huge fight at our club, all the Democrats walked out and never walked back in, poof that was gone.

The ACLU is not a wing of the Democratic Party. It stays true to it's mission, and I'm proud of them for that.

The NRA is owned, not by it's members, but by the gun manufacturers. You can't compare the two.

The ACLU is a unique organization, and it's a long way from dead.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:33 am 
Board Emeritus

This got lost, I found it in another thread:

Like being upset that the ACLU is flush with money because people are backing it to stand up for their Constitutional Rights. Strange, that.

No GoUnion maker of straw men, you have added in what you think and have blotted out what I have said .

I am not upset with the ACLU because it is flush with money, nor am I upset with it because people are backing it to stand up for their Constitutional Rights.

I am upset with it because it has announced that it is going to pour funds directly into elections. It is going to become yet another political PAC. Political PAC's are a dime a dozen. We had no shortage of PAC's to send our money to, to fund our side with regard to elections.

The ACLU will become one of those and no more (extra) money will be going to go to our side to fund those elections because the money the ACLU will be spending they draw from the same pool of donors those and what ever funds they raise will only reduce the money the other PAC's who are already on our side have to work with.

Nothing is gained for us, and what was lost cannot be recovered. What was lost was a nonpartisan organization which defended the Constitutional rights of all people in court. They cannot be that and be a left wing partisan PAC at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:47 am 
Board Emeritus

This got lost, I found it in another thread:

No GoUnion maker of straw men, you have added in what you think and have blotted out what I have said .

I am not upset with the ACLU because it is flush with money, nor am I upset with it because people are backing it to stand up for their Constitutional Rights.

I am upset with it because it has announced that it is going to pour funds directly into elections. It is going to become yet another political PAC. Political PAC's are a dime a dozen. We had no shortage of PAC's to send our money to, to fund our side with regard to elections.

The ACLU will become one of those and no more (extra) money will be going to go to our side to fund those elections because the money the ACLU will be spending they draw from the same pool of donors those and what ever funds they raise will only reduce the money the other PAC's who are already on our side have to work with.

Nothing is gained for us, and what was lost cannot be recovered. What was lost was a nonpartisan organization which defended the Constitutional rights of all people in court. They cannot be that and be a left wing partisan PAC at the same time.

As usual, you don't know what you are talking about. From the article:

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is set to spend $25 million on the 2018 elections, according to a new report.

The $25 million will go toward supporting ballot items and hot-button political issues, such as the group's current effort in Florida to allow convicted felons to vote.

The ACLU DOES have a PAC, and has had one for some time. But that's separate.

This is about promoting the issues that the ACLU stands for.

But hey, just make it up. We're used to that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:58 am 
Board Emeritus

I don't object to the ACLU supporting candidates who support civil liberties. That is their mission.

There are a few Republicans who have a strong civil libertarian stand. Rand Paul is one. I'm OK with the ACLU supporting him for his support of civil liberties. Not saying I would support him and there's lots to his record outside of that one issue area I'd object to.

As we can find people in both parties who will stand up for civil liberties, the ACLU should be bipartisan, and ... partisan as I am, I'm OK with that.

I wasn't crazy about them defending the Nazis who marched in Skokie, but I understand their point in doing it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

As usual, you don't know what you are talking about. From the article:

The $25 million will go toward supporting ballot items and hot-button political issues, such as the group's current effort in Florida to allow convicted felons to vote.

The ACLU DOES have a PAC, and has had one for some time. But that's separate.

This is about promoting the issues that the ACLU stands for.

But hey, just make it up. We're used to that.

And you selectively read, mister "But hey, just make it up. We're used to that." From the article:

"The nonprofit group is expected to be directly involved in about a dozen races in 2018, in an attempt to flip control of both state governorships and House seats as Democrats aim to win back a majority in the lower chamber."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

And you selectively read, mister "But hey, just make it up. We're used to that." From the article:

"The nonprofit group is expected to be directly involved in about a dozen races in 2018, in an attempt to flip control of both state governorships and House seats as Democrats aim to win back a majority in the lower chamber."

Hey, what part of "The ACLU DOES have a PAC, and has had one for some time. But that's separate." don't you fucking understand?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hey, what part of "The ACLU DOES have a PAC, and has had one for some time. But that's separate." don't you fucking understand?

The part I understand is it's a you-said-so.

That part about "the ACLU DOES have a PAC, and has had one for some time" is not in evidence. I've not seen it. It's no where is it in the OP article.

They might have a PAC, but I have not been shown that they have a PAC. You haven't shown me they have a PAC.

It would be moot. My complaint wouldn't change, if they had a PAC for some time now I would be wrong with regard to when in my opinion that something special at the ACLU died. That's all.

So show me they have a PAC if you want to, but be prepared for it to not matter to me in the least.

I'm still going to be upset with the ACLU, and I'm still going to route all of my political spending through my union.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://ballotpedia.org/American_Civil_Liberties_Union

See: Political Activities. (There appears to be an error in the 2012 chart.)

But anyway, looks like in 2016 they gave $2920 to Hillary Clinton.

In 2012, they gave $21,000 to Barack Obama.

BTW, there are some smaller contributions to various Congressional candidates.

I will confess it looks like everybody they supported appears to be a Democrat.

Ballotopedia isn't listing contributions prior to 2012, but Open Secrets seems to show contributions going back to 2000.

They have two separate filing statuses: as the ACLU, they are 501(c)(4), and as the ACLU Foundation, they are a 501(c)(3). Under the former status, they can make partisan contributions.

Donations only to the latter are tax deductible.

I will say that giving $25 million in 2018 to candidates definitely DOES look like WAY more than they've given to candidates in the past.

Unless those tables are radically incomplete, in most years their contributions haven't even come close to $1 million.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

The part I understand is it's a you-said-so.

That part about "the ACLU DOES have a PAC, and has had one for some time" is not in evidence. I've not seen it. It's no where is it in the OP article.

They might have a PAC, but I have not been shown that they have a PAC. You haven't shown me they have a PAC.

It would be moot. My complaint wouldn't change, if they had a PAC for some time now I would be wrong with regard to when in my opinion that something special at the ACLU died. That's all.

So show me they have a PAC if you want to, but be prepared for it to not matter to me in the least.

I'm still going to be upset with the ACLU, and I'm still going to route all of my political spending through my union.

All you have to do is google it. That's what I did. Why? Because I want to have the FACTS. Obviously you don't care for that kind of thing.

And the money you give to your Union? It's to their PAC. Union dues can't go to candidates.

The ACLU remains a unique and special organization, and the amount of money they've raised proves it. They are using their money to fight for Constitutional rights. Nothing has changed, except that the stakes are far higher.

You can have your opinion about the "dead" ACLU, but that opinion isn't based upon facts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://ballotpedia.org/American_Civil_Liberties_Union

See: Political Activities. (There appears to be an error in the 2012 chart.)

But anyway, looks like in 2016 they gave $2920 to Hillary Clinton.

In 2012, they gave $21,000 to Barack Obama.

BTW, there are some smaller contributions to various Congressional candidates.

I will confess it looks like everybody they supported appears to be a Democrat.

Ballotopedia isn't listing contributions prior to 2012, but Open Secrets seems to show contributions going back to 2000.

They have two separate filing statuses: as the ACLU, they are 501(c)(4), and as the ACLU Foundation, they are a 501(c)(3). Under the former status, they can make partisan contributions.

Donations only to the latter are tax deductible.

I will say that giving $25 million in 2018 to candidates definitely DOES look like WAY more than they've given to candidates in the past.

Unless those tables are radically incomplete, in most years their contributions haven't even come close to $1 million.

Considering the small amounts, I'd say that the PAC is probably funded by ACLU employees, and they don't ask the public at large for PAC money. The other money they use, like the millions they plan to spend this year, is for issue advertising. That's the important money.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

gounion wrote:
All you have to do is google it. That's what I did. Why? Because I want to have the FACTS. Obviously you don't care for that kind of thing.

And the money you give to your Union? It's to their PAC. Union dues can't go to candidates.

The ACLU remains a unique and special organization, and the amount of money they've raised proves it. They are using their money to fight for Constitutional rights. Nothing has changed, except that the stakes are far higher.

You can have your opinion about the "dead" ACLU, but that opinion isn't based upon facts.

:frustrated:

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

Translation: "I've got nothin'!"

:rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:49 am 
Board Emeritus

Translation: "I've got nothin'!"

:rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw)

I would think that would be a transition, not a translation, a transition down to nothing.

I'm sorry to hear you got nothing.

Well, keep your old chipper out of the mud. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:08 am 
Policy Wonk

So the ACLU will spend 25 million dollars on political candidates in full knowledge of the state of our elections, gerrymandered and voter suppression and citizen united? seems like a terrible waste of money.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:17 am 
Board Emeritus

I would think that would be a transition, not a translation, a transition down to nothing.

I'm sorry to hear you got nothing.

Well, keep your old chipper out of the mud. :)

Wow, you really DO have nothing.