RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Pretty soon all of California's congressional seats will be full blue.

Rep. Ed Royce of California to retire, the 8th GOP chairman to bow out ahead of midterms

House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ed Royce said Monday he will not seek re-election this year, adding his name to a growing list of senior Republican lawmakers who have chosen to retire in what is shaping up to be a difficult election year for the GOP.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... story.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

I saw an article today about how in New York State the GOP isn't being able to find front runners for the state wide races. The have the usual host of no name and nutters but no one who has standing is bothering to file as candidates. And the few who did are withdrawing.

The worry about that is without front runners on the big state wide races there will be little drawing Republicans to get out and vote, and that the down ballot Republicans face a bloodbath in their little state legislature districts and counties.

I don't remember where I saw it, maybe it was here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:12 am 
Board Emeritus

There was an article on the internet concerning the California Senate race will have two Democrats on the November ballot and that republicans are fearful without a republican in the Senate race it will depress republican voter turnout. I hope so! It will be great to see people like Issa defeated and other republicans as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:47 am 
Board Emeritus

In my district three women with reasonable standing and experience are running against Tom McClintock. Normally that might help him because it would split the limited Democratic support that there were three. But these three have a pact, at a certain date they are going to figure out which amoung them has achieved the greatest support, the other two are going to withdraw their names and join the one going forward to whip McClintock's ass as a gang.

If the two of them were to not drop out before the primary with the primary system we have, McClintock would more than likely be running against another Republican. I think they're trying to get any of the other Democrats who might be trying to run as well to join their pact.

Because Republicans win all the time here it's hard for a Democratic party candidate to get a start, they have to start out flat footed. The can't be a state rep or county supervisor before trying to run for the US Congress. People talk about incumbency being a hurtle, in really red districts this is the hurtle jump over before they get to the incumbency hurtle. And then there's the third hurtle, money.