RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

Democrats treating minorities “as an afterthought” may affect the midterm elections

On Wednesday, former Vice President Joe Biden pumped up Democrats in Congress with a simple message: “We’re gonna win back the House.” But leaders of multiple organizations focused on electing and turning out minorities across the United States this year have a different message for the party: You are doing too little to connect with voters of color, and it is jeopardizing your chance of winning in 2018.

https://mic.com/articles/187871/democra ... .GxI476mvx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

Democrats are minorities AP.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

Now wait, which is it Democrats are doing wrong?

Focusing too much on identity politics, and therefore not winning back that critical white (male) working class?

Or, taking minorities for granted, and therefore ignoring identity politics?

Truth be told, and my sarcasm aside, I think it's fair that minorities keep pushing the Democratic party to live up to its rhetoric, like BLM, and Metoo, and immigration activism.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Now wait, which is it Democrats are doing wrong?

Focusing too much on identity politics, and therefore not winning back that critical white (male) working class?

Or, taking minorities for granted, and therefore ignoring identity politics?

Truth be told, and my sarcasm aside, I think it's fair that minorities keep pushing the Democratic party to live up to its rhetoric, like BLM, and Metoo, and immigration activism.

White prog complaints about "identity politics" are no different from their white con cousins' complaints about "political correctness".

There is NO difference.

In the same way, when I hear these complaints from Bernieville about the DNC/Emmanuel Goldstein taking minorities for granted, it sounds a lot like the white con "Democrat plantation" non-starter argument.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

At the same time, from the article, DeJuana Thompson is worth listening to, not because of her perceived demographics but her track record. She among others in the article say:

Quote:
“If you’re asking me which organizations have been doing long-term voter engagement work, I would say none of them,” DeJuana Thompson said. A black political strategist, Thompson coordinated more than $2 million in December’s Alabama Senate special election to boost black voter turnout — funded in part by Priorities, which she called a “partner” that listened to her. The Democratic Party and its major donors have largely failed to invest in the political infrastructure that consistently wins elections, she said in an interview.

“I need to see a long-term strategy that doesn’t anchor itself around just an election cycle,” she said. “I need to see that, not just with words, but with a dedicated funding source and a dedicated training model.”

The DNC has invested nearly $1 million of a promised $10 million in state party innovation grants. This money is meant to help state parties build lasting political infrastructure, often with a focus on minority communities, a DNC spokesperson said. This week, the spokesperson said “conversations are ongoing” to determine how much the DNC will spend targeting minority voters in 2018.

That’s a drop in the bucket of what’s needed, says Aimee Allison, president of Democracy in Color, which pushes Democrats to invest more in minority communities. She wants to see $100 million spent on turning out black voters in 2018, and Democracy in Color has called for a $1 billion investment through 2020 in 17 states, like Florida, Georgia and Texas, where the “progressive vote potential” could sweep Republicans from power. Given Democratic-aligned groups spent $1.7 billion in the 2014 midterm elections alone, Allison argues a $1 billion commitment through 2020 is doable.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:25 am 
Policy Wonk

Democrats do need to be on the side of the people they represent we need to see it in the form of adequate teacher to student ratios, books and school supplies, building safety and climate control of the schools, funding.

personal security, police interactions, poverty, working conditions as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

This takes away from the problem. it is verbal tap-dancing.

Why? Because the problem is political economy as well as psychology.

Rebuild cities with good wage jobs.

Rebuild schools with up-to-date technology and physical plants in top notch working condition.

Build homes that have up-to-code wiring, plumbing and so on.

In short build a society.

As for psychology as long as white people continue teaching their children that people of color are inferior and as long as poor whites are kept at the throats of poor people of color by wealth/capital this nonsense will go on. America hasn't dealt with its "race" problem because America doesn't want to deal with its race problem. Wealth/capital don't really care. If they can continue extracting wealth by maintaining the system as it is then they will do so. It is easier and cheaper to do so. To change the social problems requires changing the economic problems. They go hand-in-hand.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

:shock:

You're Not A Progressive Just Because You Mouth The Word "Progressive"

The word "progressive" has become fashionable and now anti-progressive politicians are using it. Joe Crowley, Wall Street's conduit to the House Democrats and the reactionary former head of the New Dems is hoping to follow Pelosi/Hoyer as the head of the House Dems. He's a truly disgusting, glad-handing corrupt crud. But last week he dragged one of the most progressive members of Congress, Ro Khanna (D-CA) all over his district to give him progressive cred. Crowley's office sent out a press release on February 5: As an admirer of Khanna, it turned my stomach

http://downwithtyranny.blogspot.com/201 ... e-you.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

:shock:

You're Not A Progressive Just Because You Mouth The Word "Progressive"

The word "progressive" has become fashionable and now anti-progressive politicians are using it. Joe Crowley, Wall Street's conduit to the House Democrats and the reactionary former head of the New Dems is hoping to follow Pelosi/Hoyer as the head of the House Dems. He's a truly disgusting, glad-handing corrupt crud. But last week he dragged one of the most progressive members of Congress, Ro Khanna (D-CA) all over his district to give him progressive cred. Crowley's office sent out a press release on February 5: As an admirer of Khanna, it turned my stomach

http://downwithtyranny.blogspot.com/201 ... e-you.html

I don't mouth the word "progressive". I'm a Democrat and a Liberal, and I would just as soon no one called me a progressive.

I find folks who describe themselves a progressives are often not pleased with other Democrats for what ever reason they judge as not being good enough.

Smearing and sneering about others like this downwithtyranny nutter is doing to Joe Crowley, smearing him for being some kind of "Wall Street's conduit to the House Democrats."

:|

Joe Crowley alright, he's voted with the Democratic Party 95% of the time. He hasn't become rich while he's been in office. His Wikipedia page isn't filled with scandal.

The worst thing he's got on his record is having been arrested during an immigration protest. He and seven others were calling for comprehensive immigration reform in front of the U.S. Capitol when they were arrested. The others were, John Lewis, Luis Gutierrez, Charlie Rangel, Raul Grijalva, Keith Ellison, Jan Schakowsky, and Al Green.

I'm not going to complain about that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

What even is a "progressive," anymore? FWICT, it's mostly Bush43 era swing-staters on social issues, who fling the words "corporate Dems" at everyone else. :problem:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:26 am 
Policy Wonk

https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/960939976891518978

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:38 pm 
Policy Wonk

School choice is the change John Engler Made in Michigan on behalf of betsy devos, modelled after white flight.

Detroit parents, teachers and youth push back on 'school choice' at education town hall

Quote:
........."Parents, students, and educators do not choose the sabotage of their neighborhood schools, school closings, zero tolerance policies that target black and brown students, punitive standardized testing school deserts," the group's mission statement explains. "We choose equity, not the scam called school choice."

In the past 20 years, Detroit Public Schools, which now goes by Detroit Public Community School District following legislation to bail out the district as its debt increased under state control, has gone from having 262 schools to just under 100. In that same period of time, the number of charter schools in the city — privately managed schools with appointed school boards that get public funding — have increased at the inverse rate. In 2016, for example, there were more than 100,000 school-age students living in the city — fewer than 47,000 of them attended the public schools. The shift in dynamics — something those in the #WeChoose movement call "privatization" — was a centerpiece of Tuesday's event as participants shared stories much like Timothy's and questioned how these dynamics undermine communities of color, where closures are more likely to happen and have ripple effects like the depreciation of property value. ............

Quote:
.............He explained that the goal of the #WeChoose campaign was to organize in different cities around the country to create multi-racial coalitions willing to fight for equality, a voice and power over the narrative.

"When will we stop drinking the Kool-Aid and realize you ain't the problem?" he questioned. "You ain't the problem. These parents are not the problem. These children are not the problem. The problem is a country that has not reconciled its hatred for us. And we're going to beat that hatred with love. Because believe it or not we love our people, and we love humanity more than they hate us."