Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

Democrats Are Considering Dropping Superdelegates Altogether

Democratic officials are considering a new proposal to effectively eliminate all superdelegates, a move that would go beyond recommendations put forward late last year by the commission tasked with making the party's presidential nominating process more fair.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rubycramer/dem ... slWY31J7jY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:54 pm 
Policy Wonk

It would be a bad idea. In any case, reading the article there is no sense that there is a serious proposal to eliminate them altogether, nor that it would be likely to pass. I suspect this article was placed (promoted) by someone who would like all super delegates (otherwise known as unpledged delegates) removed from voting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

The proposal they were discussing a few months ago would reduce their numbers, at least the numbers of "unpledged" superdelegates who are "free" to go against how their state's Democratic voters went.

I kind of like that idea. Right now, they are about 30% of the delegates total primary candidates can amass. That could be reduced and the system tweaked, without eliminating it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:43 pm 
Policy Wonk

Yep...that's more in line with the direction they seemed to be leaning, according to the article....in spite of its rather misleading title.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:04 am 
Board Emeritus

You mean they might actually trust their voters to select their candidates.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:51 am 
Board Emeritus

You mean they might actually trust their voters to select their candidates.

You mean like Republicans?

Does the hypocrisy back up into your throat, like bile?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:40 am 
Board Emeritus

Theoretically, it is possible for superdelegates to go against how the majority of primary voters in their party voted. In practice, that doesn't happen.

I know people say superdelegates were "in the bag" for Hillary in 2016. But I will point out she lost in 2008 because, while Obama won the majority of un-pledged delegates, once that started to happen, almost all the superdelegates switched over to supporting him as well.

I'm not going to re-litigate the 2016 primaries. It is a reality that Hillary got more pledged delegates. Even without supers she would have won. She got 2205 of 4051 unpledged delegates, even without the 712 superdelegates that supported her. You need 2382, so if only 178 or so out of the 712 total supported her - she would have won. (But she got 602. Anyway, if only the supers from states she won fair and square went with her, she would have had more than 178.)

I say they're necessary to prevent demagogues like Trump or Huey Long from winning. That doesn't mean the process can't be reformed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:33 am 
Board Emeritus

BTW, if you were to ask me about something that strikes me as rather undemocratic in the primary process, it would be states that uses caucuses instead of actual primaries.

Caucus states always have the lowest turnout of voters during primaries. It's kind of a form of primary voter suppression.

As these rules are set by the states themselves, I don't know if the parties can just ban them. However, I approve of strongly worded letters sent to the caucus states, telling them to do away with that crap. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

BTW, if you were to ask me about something that strikes me as rather undemocratic in the primary process, it would be states that uses caucuses instead of actual primaries.

Caucus states always have the lowest turnout of voters during primaries. It's kind of a form of primary voter suppression.

As these rules are set by the states themselves, I don't know if the parties can just ban them. However, I approve of strongly worded letters sent to the caucus states, telling them to do away with that crap. :mrgreen:

I'm not found of the caucus system.

If you were to ask me what is wrong with that graphical meme I would say that not all the states are there, 1/5 of the states are missing. None of the states I've ever lived and voted in are on that thing. What's right about it is at the bottom it say where it came from.

Maybe the stares that are missing fouled up the neat theory the author had. Or maybe it was just too much work for the author to fit them in.

I did notice one thing, every state where I hate to see a highway patrolman on the highway is listed there at the bottom with a green band. I call them police states. I know them when I'm in one while driving a car, they feel different to me at the gut instinctive level.

That's not to say that all of the states at the bottom with a green band are police states, I'm just saying that all of the states I've ever identified as being police states are there. The worst police states are Utah and Washington. I've heard Texas is pretty bad too, I've been there, but I never have driven around there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

Dems still wrestling over superdelegates - a 2016 issue

WASHINGTON (AP) — Bernie Sanders is back in the Senate minority. Hillary Clinton is selling books and playing with grandchildren. And the Democratic Party is still navigating the fallout from their bitter 2016 presidential nominating fight.

https://apnews.com/3fc78f03569848f19b0f ... 2016-issue

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

You mean like Republicans?

Does the hypocrisy back up into your throat, like bile?

The GOP has no super delegates. The DNC has them because the leaders know not to trust their electorate. It is to protect us from people like Bernie Sanders becoming President.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

The GOP has no super delegates. The DNC has them because the leaders know not to trust their electorate. It is to protect us from people like Bernie Sanders becoming President.

Of course, you believe that Trump is just fine and shows the strength of the Republican system... :roll:

But let's be clear: Hillary beat Sanders, even before the Super delegates. And Trump won the Republican nomination. 'Nuff said.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_o ... ries,_2016

According to the pie charts at the bottom here, Hillary got 55% of the primary vote, and more than 50% of the pledged delegates.

She was not given the nomination "by the superdelegates".

Put another way, superdelegates did not keep Bernie from winning the primaries.

On one final point, I do not consider Bernie to be a demagogue. I voted for him in the Florida primary.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:34 pm 
Policy Wonk

The GOP has no super delegates. The DNC has them because the leaders know not to trust their electorate.
You do know, Glen, that Trump won only because of the Electoral College, and the reason for that systems is to keep the presidential election from a one person one vote national election?

One might argue that it is a good system or a bad one...I can make strong arguments in either direction. But it seems rather disingenuous to argue that super delegates are only there 'because DNC leaders know not to trust their electorate.' And, I assume you know, there are Republicans who wish they had a way to nominate someone other than Trump.

But most importantly, I assume you are aware that the political parties are essentially private organizations. In my mind (and if you were really a civil libertarian, I'd guess in yours as well) the party should have the right to decide whomever they want, based on whatever process they want. Voters then, can decide whom to support, based on whatever they want....including the process used to select a candidate...or their appearance...or the size of their hands.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:46 am 
Policy Wonk

Out of nearly 20 candidates, the GOP rank and file chose Trump, the worst of all. This tells me all I need to know about the depth to which right wing America has sunk. The D student 9th grade dropouts, and the white supremacy freaks, and the killers of abortion doctors, and the gay haters, and the ammosexuals have taken over the GOP. Onward to the trash heap of history. An impossible to remove stench and stain on the US.