RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Election officials raise concerns over bill that would let Trump send Secret Service to polls

More than a dozen top election officials across the country are raising concerns about a provision in a Homeland Security Department reauthorization bill that would allow President Trump to dispatch Secret Service agents to polling places.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... trump-send

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:48 am 
Board Emeritus

There are about 4,500 Secret Service agents and division officers, and there are about 113,754 polling places. That's one agent for every 25 polling places. Realistically when one considers that they cant all be pulled off of what they're doing, that would be one for every hundred polling places at best, or worst. Besides they're not thuggish people.

I'm not very concerned.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:32 am 
Board Emeritus

It doesn't seem like Trump is ordering a Secret Service agent present for EVERY polling location. Yah, that is impossible.

The bill seems to be granting him the authority to send SS agents to a specific polling location because: reasons? Next question: why is this necessary?

Now look, they already do accompany people to the polls if that is their detail - they probably will go with Eric and Don Jr. and the rest of the clan when they go to vote - they're supposed to. But this has nothing to do with that.

I guess, however infeasible or non-threatening it sounds, before granting the POTUS the authority to send SS agents to polling locations, he ought to be asked why he is asking for it in the first place, as their only two designated jobs are dealing with counterfeiting (the original purpose) and politicians' (and family members') protection.

Now, if I were to guess, he might start making noises about this non-existent massive voter fraud problem he's been talking about since getting elected, (I believe Kris Kobach so far has been able to point out about five examples of it ... oooh how massive) but I'd at least like to hear him make the noises so he can claim why this nonsense is necessary and then it can be properly rejected.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

People like glen and Joe believe that it's real.