RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Rowan County Clerk, Kim Davis Alert: Elwood Caudill wins the Democratic primary. David Ermold, the man who had his marriage license denied by Democrat-turned-Republican Kim Davis, came in 2nd. Davis (R) will face off against Caudill (D) this November.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Five Kentucky House incumbents have lost their primary elections: Jonathan Shell, Tim Couch, Wesley Morgan, Lynn Belcher — all Republicans; & Dennis Horlander, a Democrat.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Latest: Jones to face Hurd in key Texas swing district

A lesbian Iraq war veteran vying to become the first Asian in Congress from Texas has won the right to face incumbent Republican U.S. Rep. Will Hurd in November.

Gina Ortiz Jones, a Filipina-American and former Air Force intelligence officer, prevailed in Tuesday's Democratic primary runoff against Rick Trevino, a supporter of Bernie Sanders' presidential bid who left his job as a high school history teacher to run for Congress.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/po ... 97469.html

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Lisa Ring has won the Democratic primary in Georgia's 1st district. She will face incumbent Buddy Carter in the general.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Colin Allred and Lorie Burch advances in their respective US Congressional races in Richardson

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

Zoraida Barreiro, Eileen Higgins to Face Off in Runoff for Miami-Dade District 5 Commission Race

A runoff will be held for a seat on Miami-Dade County Commission's District 5 between Zoraida Barreiro and Eileen Higgins after a special election produced no clear winner.

Barreiro, a Cuban healthcare worker based in Little Havana, received 33.08 percent of the vote, while Higgins, a business owner who operates a firm aimed to help local entrepreneurs, received 34.94 percent of the vote, according to Miami-Dade County Elections.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Zor ... 02121.html

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:08 am 
Board Emeritus

Daily Kos Elections May 22 Primary Results

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =526185884

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:00 am 
Board Emeritus

You might read that the IPSOS/Reuters poll on the generic ballot question found the Republicans leading by one. Trump is pleased.

It's drawing the average at 538 way down too.

About two weeks ago that poll took a hard right turn and I guess they don't care that their numbers have been blatant outliers. In one week they went from Democrats leading on that question by 10 or 11 percent down to only 2 percent. Then the next week they come out with that Republicans leading by 1 percent. A hard shift of 10 percent. In that same time the other polls have show Democrats support softening somewhat 2 or 3 percent.

I would think that's from a boost for that North Korea peace deal which seems to be falling apart and all of the noise about poor Trump being picked on by Mueller. I think that shift is real, but I don't think what IPSOS is reporting is real at all. I think they got tired of their poll never getting mentioned in the news not even at Reuters, it had been so average. That is what they're in the business for, getting mentioned in the news.

I've been ignoring them, because I know this shift is manipulated. One poll would being an outlier is understandable but one the Trump approval which is a roiling daily poll this same shift is also showing up to a lesser but very noticeable thing. There they just shifted to the right about 5 percent.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:00 am 
Board Emeritus

2 Medicaid-expansion opponents lose Senate seats

Two conservatives in the state Senate who opposed Gov. Asa Hutchinson on Medicaid expansion and other issues were defeated by primary challengers Tuesday.

State Sen. Linda Collins-Smith, R-Pocahontas, was unable to fend off a primary challenge from Rep. James Sturch, a GOP state representative from Batesville, in a bid to retain the Senate District 19 seat that she has held since 2015.

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2018/may/ ... -lose-sen/

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:25 am 
Board Emeritus

Metro Council Democrat leader Hamilton loses primary

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – Cheri Bryant Hamilton, one of the Louisville Metro Council’s original members and leader of the majority party’s Democrats, lost in her primary race Tuesday night, a week after she was named in an ethics complaint.

With all precincts reporting, Hamilton trailed challenger Donna Purvis by 154 votes.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/38253713/metr ... es-primary

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:54 am 
Board Emeritus

Not Democrat Leader

Democratic leader, i see journalists are now doing this shit

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:48 am 
Board Emeritus

Midterms are in Putin’s crosshairs, ex-spy chief says
James Clapper believes the Kremlin’s effort is active and even more complex than the 2016 meddling campaign.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/ ... ing-606330

Not content with installing Donald Trump in the White House in 2016, Russian President Vladimir Putin is now revising his sophisticated meddling operation in order to outflank U.S. security agencies and tip the scales in the upcoming congressional midterm races, former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper told POLITICO on Wednesday.

Clapper made that assertion as part of a wide-ranging interview timed with the release of his memoirs about his 50-plus years in the U.S. intelligence community, “Facts and Fears: Hard Truths From a Life in Intelligence,” which he wrote with Trey Brown.

Clapper, 77, says he thinks the Kremlin, led personally by Putin, is already engaged in an ongoing and active influence effort that is even more elaborate than the one he believes was used during the 2016 campaign to swing the election. That’s based on his years of government service at the highest echelons of the security apparatus, he said in the interview, as well as information he has learned since leaving office Jan. 20, 2017, the day Trump was sworn in as president.

“I have no doubt that they are doing that now, and I think they’re going to do it in ways that are more subtle and harder to detect,” Clapper said of the Russian meddling effort. “I’m sure they went to school to critique what they did in the presidential election in 2016. I think they will find more ways to be subtle, and be a lot less noisy than they were the last time.”

[snip]

“What I’m offering is what I would call informed opinion, because I didn’t do empirical research on voter decisions, either,” Clapper told POLITICO. “But when I looked at the evidence, the massive effort the Russians made and the multi-dimensional aspects of it — the number of people that the Russians reached, in many cases who were unknowing, and the fact that the election turned on less than 80,000 votes in three states — it just stretches logic and credulity to think that it didn't have impact.”

“I feel, and this is just my opinion,” he said, “that they swung the election.”

Notoriously averse to media interviews, Clapper made that point even more bluntly in the book, which was released Tuesday evening. “Of course the Russian efforts affected the outcome,” he wrote. “Surprising even themselves, they swung the election to a Trump win.”

Clapper stops short of saying there was active collusion between Trump campaign operatives, and Trump himself, and Russian agents and their proxies. But Trump’s refusal to even acknowledge — and address — the issue, is of grave concern, he said, as is his support for positions friendly to Russia.

[snip]

One of his most serious concerns, Clapper said, is that Russian cyberspooks could use a wealth of knowledge gained from their intrusions of state electoral systems in the 2016 campaign to affect the actual vote this time around. There is no indication that Moscow deleted, manipulated or outright stole state voter data, he said, and “as best we can tell, there was no interference with voter tallies.”

“That’s not to say that they won’t resort to that in the future,” he said. “I don’t think they reconnoitered our voting systems for nothing.”

“In those cases where they reconnoitered voter registration rolls,” Clapper added, “my assumption was that they were just trying to get smart so that if they do it again, they will be a lot more subtle about it.”

[snip][end]

Whether or not no collusion, Agent Orange isn't properly defending his country against this foreign threat, and that in itself borders on treasonous.

Now, if I were the Russians meddling in 2018 elections, what soft spot would I go for, at least right now at this particular point, the primaries? Oh yeah, I would stoke and inflame tensions between progressives and moderates/centrists within the Dem party.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:39 am 
Board Emeritus

Midterms are in Putin’s crosshairs, ex-spy chief says
James Clapper believes the Kremlin’s effort is active and even more complex than the 2016 meddling campaign.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/ ... ing-606330

Not content with installing Donald Trump in the White House in 2016, Russian President Vladimir Putin is now revising his sophisticated meddling operation in order to outflank U.S. security agencies and tip the scales in the upcoming congressional midterm races, former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper told POLITICO on Wednesday.

Clapper made that assertion as part of a wide-ranging interview timed with the release of his memoirs about his 50-plus years in the U.S. intelligence community, “Facts and Fears: Hard Truths From a Life in Intelligence,” which he wrote with Trey Brown.

Clapper, 77, says he thinks the Kremlin, led personally by Putin, is already engaged in an ongoing and active influence effort that is even more elaborate than the one he believes was used during the 2016 campaign to swing the election. That’s based on his years of government service at the highest echelons of the security apparatus, he said in the interview, as well as information he has learned since leaving office Jan. 20, 2017, the day Trump was sworn in as president.

“I have no doubt that they are doing that now, and I think they’re going to do it in ways that are more subtle and harder to detect,” Clapper said of the Russian meddling effort. “I’m sure they went to school to critique what they did in the presidential election in 2016. I think they will find more ways to be subtle, and be a lot less noisy than they were the last time.”

[snip]

“What I’m offering is what I would call informed opinion, because I didn’t do empirical research on voter decisions, either,” Clapper told POLITICO. “But when I looked at the evidence, the massive effort the Russians made and the multi-dimensional aspects of it — the number of people that the Russians reached, in many cases who were unknowing, and the fact that the election turned on less than 80,000 votes in three states — it just stretches logic and credulity to think that it didn't have impact.”

“I feel, and this is just my opinion,” he said, “that they swung the election.”

Notoriously averse to media interviews, Clapper made that point even more bluntly in the book, which was released Tuesday evening. “Of course the Russian efforts affected the outcome,” he wrote. “Surprising even themselves, they swung the election to a Trump win.”

Clapper stops short of saying there was active collusion between Trump campaign operatives, and Trump himself, and Russian agents and their proxies. But Trump’s refusal to even acknowledge — and address — the issue, is of grave concern, he said, as is his support for positions friendly to Russia.

[snip]

One of his most serious concerns, Clapper said, is that Russian cyberspooks could use a wealth of knowledge gained from their intrusions of state electoral systems in the 2016 campaign to affect the actual vote this time around. There is no indication that Moscow deleted, manipulated or outright stole state voter data, he said, and “as best we can tell, there was no interference with voter tallies.”

“That’s not to say that they won’t resort to that in the future,” he said. “I don’t think they reconnoitered our voting systems for nothing.”

“In those cases where they reconnoitered voter registration rolls,” Clapper added, “my assumption was that they were just trying to get smart so that if they do it again, they will be a lot more subtle about it.”

[snip][end]

Whether or not no collusion, Agent Orange isn't properly defending his country against this foreign threat, and that in itself borders on treasonous.

Now, if I were the Russians meddling in 2018 elections, what soft spot would I go for, at least right now at this particular point, the primaries? Oh yeah, I would stoke and inflame tensions between progressives and moderates/centrists within the Dem party.

A BIG part of his plan is get progressives to bad mouth people like Pelosi, sow discord, etc. We can see this in lots of places, some people do it without realizing who they are helping when they do it.

Too bad too because this might be our last shot at saving our actual lives.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Democrats are targeting these Texas districts in House takeover bid

As Democrats look to take back control of the U.S. House next year, they see opportunity in Texas, where voters could have a lot to say in how the midterm election narrative is written: Will House Republicans maintain power or will their majority disappear amid a rising blue tide?

Democrats probably would have to flip at least 24 seats to take control, with targets in states from California to New York.

https://www.mystatesman.com/news/state- ... jYQyh4cvM/

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Andrew Gillum nabs endorsements from two national progressive groups

Two major progressive organizations are lining up behind Andrew Gillum's bid for governor.

The Working Families Party and the Progressive Change Campaign Committee each endorsed Gillum Thursday afternoon in separate announcements.

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politic ... ve-groups/

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Profiles of the six Democratic candidates for Iowa governor

A statewide poll shows Fred Hubbell and Nate Boulton are leading the pack of Democratic candidates for governor heading into the June primary. Michael Zamora

Editor's note: Nate Boulton ended his campaign for governor on May 24, 2018.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 639001002/

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Google employees are spending heavily to elect Democrats in California and to flip the House

Jason Spero, a vice president at Google, said that before the 2016 presidential election, his political activism amounted to attending the occasional fundraiser and writing checks to his preferred candidates. But after Trump's victory, that all changed.

"I'd never been as aware, awake and active as I have been since that November," he said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/24/google- ... terms.html

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:52 am 
Board Emeritus

Two Indian-American attorneys running for New York State Senate

Two young Indian-American Democrats are running for the New York State Senate from Districts 56 and 6, challenging stalwart Republicans in the GOP-controlled Senate that is now considered a battleground chamber. Republicans hold just a one-seat edge because of their alliance with Democratic Sen. Simcha Felder. The deadline for filing a candidacy for the primaries is in July, which could mean other Democrats jump into the race.

The two Indian-Americans are trying for their own party endorsement this Sept. 13, and if either of them wins in the primary, they would already make history regardless of whether they win in the Nov. 6 general elections. But it’s a tough road ahead in their effort to become the first Indian-Americans in the Empire State’s upper house.

http://www.newsindiatimes.com/two-india ... ate-senate

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Daily Kos Elections releases initial gubernatorial race ratings for 2018

Daily Kos Elections is pleased to announce our first set of gubernatorial race ratings for the 2018 election cycle. Thanks to their strong performance in the last two midterm elections, Republicans are defending 26 seats. Democrats, by contrast, are defending just nine, while one independent who won in 2014 with support from Democrats, Alaska Gov. Bill Walker, is also up for re-election.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/5 ... s-for-2018

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Democrat Goldberg challenges Carlucci, citing his support for Senate GOP policies, leaders

Some Democrats vowed to stop state Sen. David Carlucci from getting a free ride to the party's nomination after they argued he sided for years with the Republicans, who blocked what they felt was progressive legislation for women and children and gun control.

Enter Julie Goldberg, dubbed a "true Democrat." A librarian, mother of two, and former teacher from Chestnut Ridge, Goldberg is looking to oust the three-term New City Democrat, starting with a September Democratic Party primary.

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/politi ... 660698002/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Democrat Goldberg challenges Carlucci, citing his support for Senate GOP policies, leaders

Some Democrats vowed to stop state Sen. David Carlucci from getting a free ride to the party's nomination after they argued he sided for years with the Republicans, who blocked what they felt was progressive legislation for women and children and gun control.

Enter Julie Goldberg, dubbed a "true Democrat." A librarian, mother of two, and former teacher from Chestnut Ridge, Goldberg is looking to oust the three-term New City Democrat, starting with a September Democratic Party primary.

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/politi ... 660698002/

Which of them has the best chance of winning?

MATH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Which of them has the best chance of winning?

MATH

It's local New York Yankee business Libertas. AP tends to post that local New York state legislature local news without specifying that it's not national news.

If anyone of us from California did that we'd have 60 threads of confusion. Yankees will do what they do and all of AP and half of ZoWie will be concerned.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:16 am 
Board Emeritus

Democratic candidate steps down from 20th District State House race

A candidate for a local state house seat has announced she is dropping out of the race.

Merry Marwig, Democratic candidate for the 20th State House District, said Friday that she will not be running in the November general election against incumbent Rep. Michael McAuliffe.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/p ... story.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:17 am 
Board Emeritus

Former Democratic candidate runs in GOP Senate primary

CHEYENNE – It probably won’t come as a surprise to many who have followed Wyoming politics to learn that Charlie Hardy will be making a run for U.S. Senate this cycle.

Hardy, a former Catholic priest and substitute teacher in Cheyenne, is making his fourth run for Congress since his first campaign in 2012. In the past, Hardy has run as a Democrat and an Independent. But this year, he’ll run as a Republican, crossing a unique threshold for political candidates in that he’ll have run campaigns in both major parties – and outside of them.

http://trib.com/news/former-democratic- ... 98522.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:19 am 
Board Emeritus

Democratic candidates for Wisconsin governor woo activists

OSHKOSH, Wis. — Democratic candidates for Wisconsin governor described themselves as fighters ready to take on Republican Gov. Scott Walker in speeches Friday at the state party convention, trying to distinguish themselves in a crowded field of 10 trying to knock off the two-term, better funded incumbent.

The convention gave the nominees — many of them not well known statewide — their biggest audience yet in the campaign. There were about 1,500 people at the meeting, where Democrats spoke optimistically of a "blue wave" that will help them not only defeat Walker but re-elect Democratic Sen. Tammy Baldwin, make gains in the Republican-controlled Legislature and knock off some GOP incumbents in Congress.

http://www.startribune.com/democratic-c ... 484265351/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next