RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hmmm. Another great example of the wonders of the jungle primary. (Sorry. See no problem with the colloquialism.)

California GOP Condemns Another Republican Candidate Over Anti-Semitism
https://forward.com/news/breaking-news/ ... -semitism/

The California Republican Party has distanced itself from a candidate running under its party banner over charges of anti-Semitism for the second time this year.

John Fitzgerald is the only Republican running in the heavily-Democratic 11th District, northeast of Oakland. His campaign website includes false claims that 9% of U.S. government officials are dual citizens of Israel and that Jews played a “prominent role” in the African slave trade, and celebrates a “courageous” elderly German woman who was sentenced to two years in prison for denying the Holocaust.

“Why is the holocaust the ONLY historical issue that cannot be questioned without fear of fines and/or imprisonment in eighteen countries–and counting– throughout the world?” Fitzgerald wrote on May 16.

[snip][end]

BTW, on June 5th, John Fitzgerald (R) got 24% of the primary vote, and being the 2nd place finisher behind DeSaulnier (D), will go on to the general election.

He makes the 4th person this year to be running as a openly GOP-affiliated anti-Semite, after Paul Nehlen, Arthur Jones, and Patrick Little, also in California.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://www.adl.org/blog/holocaust-deni ... s-politics

In California’s 11th congressional district, Republican and virulently anti-Israel conspiracy theorist John Fitzgerald won enough votes in the state's June primary to advance to the general election. CA-11, which encompasses a swath of the East Bay, has elected a Democrat to its House seat in the last three elections. Fitzgerald, a small business owner and perennial (unsuccessful) candidate for this seat, is a 9/11 conspiracy theorist who often “questions” facts about the Holocaust and defends Holocaust deniers. Staunchly anti-Israel, Fitzgerald also makes frequent (false) references to Jewish Americans having “dual citizenship” with Israel, which is a common anti-Semitic trope. He promulgates some of the most common right-wing conspiracy theories about chem trails, the Federal Reserve, internment camps, vaccines and GMOs, and believes that Planned Parenthood is working in concert with the United Nations to “sexualize” the nation’s public school children.

[snip][end]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hmmm. Another great example of the wonders of the jungle primary. (Sorry. See no problem with the colloquialism.)

California GOP Condemns Another Republican Candidate Over Anti-Semitism
https://forward.com/news/breaking-news/ ... -semitism/

The California Republican Party has distanced itself from a candidate running under its party banner over charges of anti-Semitism for the second time this year.

John Fitzgerald is the only Republican running in the heavily-Democratic 11th District, northeast of Oakland. His campaign website includes false claims that 9% of U.S. government officials are dual citizens of Israel and that Jews played a “prominent role” in the African slave trade, and celebrates a “courageous” elderly German woman who was sentenced to two years in prison for denying the Holocaust.

“Why is the holocaust the ONLY historical issue that cannot be questioned without fear of fines and/or imprisonment in eighteen countries–and counting– throughout the world?” Fitzgerald wrote on May 16.

[snip][end]

BTW, on June 5th, John Fitzgerald (R) got 24% of the primary vote, and being the 2nd place finisher behind DeSaulnier (D), will go on to the general election.

He makes the 4th person this year to be running as a openly GOP-affiliated anti-Semite, after Paul Nehlen, Arthur Jones, and Patrick Little, also in California.

I don't get why our primaries are called this, NOW. We've had this system for several rounds of primary elections, now.

Plus, there's something wrong with the quote -- CA-11 isn't necessarily heavily Democratic, it's very light blue/very light red white suburbia with quite a bit of Latino. And probably a lot of libertarians.

Orinda has a known KKK history from the 1980s, fwiw. Then, there was this last year... Alameda County Sheriff's Retweet of White Supremacist Press Conference Goes Viral - EB Express

:problem:

The primary system here isn't the problem. Much of California is red, red, reddddddd.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

DeSaulnier (D) was elected with 67% in 2014. Was reelected with 72% in 2016. And these primary results suggest a similar result this time. About 72 to 75% for DeSaulnier (D), about 25% for Fitzgerald (KKK).

The 11th district is heavily Democrat, remember there was a redistricting in 2011. The demographics are 48.6% White, 9.4% Black, 14.5% Asian, 25.6% Hispanic. 1.9% other. Cook PVI D+21%.

In 2006 I voted in that district. That was the year it flipped from Republican to Democrat, and with redistricting it has only grown stronger toward Democratic.

The Republicans couldn't find anyone who wanted to lose for them so that creepy crawler jumped in. The district contains Pittsburg, and Antioch, there's a KKK cluster there, lots of crank heads too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ye from the land of swamp and sand, soon to become the swimming in the ocean state. How's them alligators? :|

This guy ran as a Republican, the only one. The old primary system in this case would have produced the same results, except we wouldn't have any sense how the general election will go.

DeSaulnier had another Democrat who diluted his vote by about 5%, Because we have a top two primary we have a preview kind of a test vote to look at without doing extra math.

In the General election DeSaulnier will add about 5% from his primary opponent to the 68% he got in the primary. It will be a 72 to 75% blowout. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:00 am 
Board Emeritus

Dunno. I guess I will invoke my usual premise on counterfactuals and hypotheticals.

If there had been a Republican (only) primary in that district, I'm thinking another Republican might have run, and done better than Fitzgerald.

Then he would not have been in the general and could go back to searching for chemtrails.

But that's just it - we can never know how that would have changed things, so I agree my point was moot. :D

I know he'll lose in the general, Sam; it's just he gets a couple more months of public visibility to spread idiotic nonsense. Oh well.

Guys and gals, if you like your open blanket primary system, you can keep it. I just don't want it.

Oh and Sam ... California has a lot of coastline. When we go underwater ...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... er-places/

Make sure your coastal folks (that's a lot of people) got scuba gear.

As for alligators ... well, when I'm done wrestling them, I'll let you know. :D

And I'll have you know, the Everglades isn't a "swamp" anymore: it's a wetland.

Final point: really, to me, it's more significant that this is the 4th GOP candidate this year to run on a platform of open anti-Semitism. The CA-specific issue is secondary.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:08 am 
Board Emeritus

While the GOP might - just to save face - condemn the candidate, it would also seem like the Republicans in that district have no problem with it.

Let's just face facts: The Republican Party has a large problem with racists among it's voter base.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:18 am 
Board Emeritus

24% of the voters had no problem with him. Now, thing being, as it was an open primary, we'll never know if all 24% were Republicans. ;)

But again, my real point is, while not all GOP are racists, ain't it odd how all the racists and anti-Semites run as GOP?

Funny, that.