RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

In 'Major Step' Toward Making Democratic Party More Democratic, DNC Votes to Roll Back Power of Superdelegates

In an important and long-overdue step toward making the Democratic Party more accountable to voters and less captive to the interests of establishment insiders, the Democratic National Committee's (DNC) Rules and Bylaws arm voted overwhelmingly on Wednesday to drastically curtail the influence of superdelegates by barring them from voting on the first ballot of the presidential nomination.

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who has long criticized the party's superdelegate system as undemocratic, congratulated DNC chair Tom Perez and the Rules and Bylaws Committee for the move in a statement following the 27-1 vote, saying the "decision will ensure that delegates elected by voters in primaries and caucuses will have the primary role in selecting the Democratic Party's nominee at the 2020 convention."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/ ... ialnetwork

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Putin and GOP love to hear this news.

And it is NOT more Democrat, it is more DemocratIC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

I hate to be a stickler on pointing this out, but there has never been a situation where superdelegates gave the election to someone who would otherwise not have a majority of the unpledged delegates.

There has never been a case where someone won the popular vote of the primaries, got the most delegates as a result, then lost because of superdelegates. It's theoretically possible, but it did not happen, including in 2016.

See this chart?

Hillary won 55% of the Democratic primary vote (to 43% for Bernie), and she got, as a result of winning 34 contests (to Bernie's 22), close to 17 million primary votes, and 2,271 delegates. (Bernie had 1820 total, including the 45 superdelegates who supported HIM ... BTW).

The superdelegates did not give the 2016 primary election to her. That claim is false.

BTW, I'm fine with this reduction in their role. I would prefer they not be eliminated, as they are protection from the Democratic party nominating a demagogue like Trump (please note, this doesn't mean I think Bernie was one, I'm talking about the future). This process change doesn't prevent them from acting that way: good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Why is it there, you know why.

NO, she did NOT cheat nor did the supers give her anything. But it exists for a GOOD Reason...

Between this and this new group of democratic politicians nobody knows all that much about...i almost have to laugh it is so obvious what is going on yet most on my side dont see it