Elon Musk, rip-off King!

News and events of the day
Libertas

Re: Elon Musk, rip-off King!

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:14 pm So I guess now Musk said on Twitter that, to hell with it, he’d keep funding his system in the Ukraine. I’m quite sure that he couldn’t take the PR heat, and his stock keeps tanking as it is - down 50% - but I’m sure he has no intention of doing so.
He is a bad guy, for sure.

Did you see my pm about the bed?
I sigh in your general direction.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Libertas wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:16 pm He is a bad guy, for sure.
:lol:
Did you see my pm about the bed?
Okay, that could be taken wrong for people that didn’t see the PM! :lol:

It was just about the type of sheets for an adjustable bed.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:25 pm Okay, that could be taken wrong for people that didn’t see the PM! :lol:

It was just about the type of sheets for an adjustable bed.
OH yeah, didnt think about that :lol:

If we already have a bed frame that is a piece of furniture, the adjustable bed wont fit inside that, right...it would be it's own frame with legs etc?
gounion

Post by gounion »

Libertas wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:37 pm OH yeah, didnt think about that :lol:

If we already have a bed frame that is a piece of furniture, the adjustable bed wont fit inside that, right...it would be it's own frame with legs etc?
No, usually it’ll fit right inside a bed frame, I think.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:42 pm No, usually it’ll fit right inside a bed frame, I think.
Which brand adjustable do you have?

Sorry about the OT folks. My fault.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Libertas wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:43 pm Which brand adjustable do you have?

Sorry about the OT folks. My fault.
Take this to PM
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:34 am Then needed something, but there are alternatives to Starlink that don't make terrestrial astronomy impossible, and don't further enrich the dangerous Elon Musk.

One of the long-time space-based options is now already heavily subsidized by the CIA, and it would have gotten up and running in Ukraine in a pretty short time, if the spies aren't using it there already. If the Pentagon, in other words you and me, are going to pay for reliable comm in Ukraine, we at least ought to consider alternatives other than Musk.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dangerous Elon Musk actually wants Russia to win, but he saw a business opportunity. These would both be just like him. He wanted LA taxpayers to pay for him to dig a tunnel under LA that would have been finished sometime a couple of generations from now, and would have cost many many billions.
Like the imaginary L.A. TO S.F. high speed rail system.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Elon seems to be the Donald Trump of geniuses.
bradman

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:02 am Elon seems to be the Donald Trump of geniuses.
The one big thing he does have in common with Trump is his love for lighting up the twit world.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:13 am The one big thing he does have in common with Trump is his love for lighting up the twit world.
He also likes to abuse workers, he doesn't think any laws apply to him, and he loves ripping people off.
bradman

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:19 am He also likes to abuse workers, he doesn't think any laws apply to him, and he loves ripping people off.
Well now you're talking about the average conservative. :mrgreen:
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:23 am Well now you're talking about the average conservative. :mrgreen:
Point taken! :lol: :lol: :lol:
lucytalk

Post by lucytalk »

damn i did not know i was a conservative

i dunno, when any of us make the world a much better place (electric car, internet for all, the possibility of what neuralink may be able to do, reusable rockets that will get us to mars, the tunnel in vegas, etc) i would bet we would have haters as well.

i'm not saying he couldn't have done the ukraine thing better but damn what do you think if i emailed the owner of this board and told him to fuck off would be? people have tempers and they react poorly.

i'm a huge elon fan so bring it. i've read and seen a ton on elon so please let me know where he way worse for humankind then he is a positive for humankind.
imagination is intelligence having fun
Drak

Post by Drak »

Elon Musk is a red pill tankie. He’s also a narcissist and a Twitter troll. I would never, EVER buy one of his cars after he dropped his mask over the last few years. He’s not a good dude.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

You have to separate the accomplishments, which are real, from the person, who is a self-infatuated white supremacist egomaniacal twit from old school apartheid South Africa who believes he was put here to own the rest of us peons, and tells us so every chance he gets.

No human is entitled to possess that kind of money as long as millions of other people can't get enough to eat or a secure place to sleep. What's he going to do with it all? It's decadent, it's medieval, and a system that allows it to happen cannot endure.

The only car of his I ever liked was his electric Lotus by any other name, and he sent that into space. Billionaires grabbing publicity by shooting their old cars off into space while there are 40,000 homeless in Los Angeles are not a good look for us.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Elon Musk is a WN.

F. that guy, can’t wait till he flies his ass to Mats or wherever. Let him redo apartheid over there. :problem:

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Bludogdem »

lucytalk wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:12 pm damn i did not know i was a conservative

i dunno, when any of us make the world a much better place (electric car, internet for all, the possibility of what neuralink may be able to do, reusable rockets that will get us to mars, the tunnel in vegas, etc) i would bet we would have haters as well.

i'm not saying he couldn't have done the ukraine thing better but damn what do you think if i emailed the owner of this board and told him to fuck off would be? people have tempers and they react poorly.

i'm a huge elon fan so bring it. i've read and seen a ton on elon so please let me know where he way worse for humankind then he is a positive for humankind.
I’m a fan of what he brings to the table for the future. Fan of his innovations. Fan of his creative destruction. I’d sit and talk with him. I’d have a beer with him. I like the billions and billions he pays in income taxes. But I wouldn’t want to be like him.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:50 pm I’m a fan of what he brings to the table for the future. Fan of his innovations. Fan of his creative destruction. I’d sit and talk with him. I’d have a beer with him. I like the billions and billions he pays in income taxes. But I wouldn’t want to be like him.
And here I figured he was your protege, and you taught him all his knows, Hap! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:06 pm And here I figured he was your protege, and you taught him all his knows, Hap! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Musk is a racist and a prick, so of course far rightwing cons like him.
lucytalk

Post by lucytalk »

Drak wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:53 pm Elon Musk is a red pill tankie. He’s also a narcissist and a Twitter troll. I would never, EVER buy one of his cars after he dropped his mask over the last few years. He’s not a good dude.
i'm not able to debate your opinion very well. would so prefer facts followed by a link but what the heck, i'll try.

thx to social media i think we are all probably narcissists and have trolled once or twice if we are honest. and hey the way he trolled twitter = fucking epic imo. i am kinda hoping he ends up buying it tho.

don't buy an electric car or use neuralink to cure your alzheimer's, don't take the last starship to mars even tho the earth is ending in 3 weeks because of some extinction level event because he's a bad dude in your opinion.
lucytalk

Post by lucytalk »

carmenjonze wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:19 pm Elon Musk is a WN.

F. that guy, can’t wait till he flies his ass to Mats or wherever. Let him redo apartheid over there. :problem:
i'd like for you to expand cause i'm willing to be opened minded
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Terraforming Mars is possible, but not as easy as old SF stories made it out to be. The hardest problem to solve would be the lack of a magnetic field, and the second hardest would be its lesser gravity.

No magnetic field means that energetic particles from the sun would go straight to the surface instead of being deflected to the poles (aurora) or to the equatorial ring current. The thicker terraformed atmosphere would help somewhat, but not enough. Cosmic rays are a very minor health risk here, but on Mars they are potentially lethal.

Less gravity means that it would be a lot harder to achieve an atmospheric pressure that the human body would do well in. Also atmosphere would be more likely to leak away into space, which is the main reason it's so thin now. It's also a bit harder for water to maintain the liquid state, which brings a whole lot of problems.

The human body is perfectly capable of evolving into something better suited to Mars, but it would take a few thousand years at a minimum, and probably a lot longer.

Mostly, though, if you think the Russians have logistical problems, try transporting 10 billion humans to another planet. I suspect that it will ultimately work a lot better to save this one. We can deflect asteroids with our present technology, and most of our other problems are more social and economic than technical.

To get back on topic, I repeat what I said somewhere else, that I don't argue with the fact that Musk has funded some useful technologies being developed by other people who are true visionaries. Personality and politics wise, though, I remain the biggest fan of Musk going to Mars, as long as it's one-way and he doesn't take a radio with him.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Drak

Post by Drak »

lucytalk wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:42 pm i'm not able to debate your opinion very well. would so prefer facts followed by a link but what the heck, i'll try.

thx to social media i think we are all probably narcissists and have trolled once or twice if we are honest. and hey the way he trolled twitter = fucking epic imo. i am kinda hoping he ends up buying it tho.

don't buy an electric car or use neuralink to cure your alzheimer's, don't take the last starship to mars even tho the earth is ending in 3 weeks because of some extinction level event because he's a bad dude in your opinion.
Elon Musk has funded some useful tech, but doesn’t have ownership over EV technology. And doesn’t give him a free pass. I would also say, the amount of money being spent by billionaires for the new space race could be put to better use on this planet, IMO.

You think trolling Twitter and manipulating stock is “fucking epic?” Ok. The last person we want controlling Twitter is a troll and a troll who pushes Putin talking points.

lucytalk

Post by lucytalk »

ZoWie wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:35 pm
No human is entitled to possess that kind of money as long as millions of other people can't get enough to eat or a secure place to sleep. What's he going to do with it all? It's decadent, it's medieval, and a system that allows it to happen cannot endure.
is it not by definition the principals of capitalism. i believe my country is a little less capitalist than yours but i don't see a better way of governing.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Twitter is moderated but suffers from ample disinformation and hate. If anything, these issues should be cracked down on. But Musk would remove those checks and make it a free for all under his idea of freedom of speech. Disinformation and hate are serious threats. That’s less than ideal. He would also reinstate Donald Trump, who is a national security threat and had his account banned for a reason after J6. Also not ideal.