It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Fight for Democracy India that's your country go. :thumbup:

Millions take to the streets to fight far-right government in India

Millions of people have poured into the streets in recent days to join courageous protests challenging the far-right government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in India. Modi has failed to accomplish his major campaign promise of economic development. Instead his government has given India four years of anti-worker, anti-farmer, ethnic and religious chauvinist, and anti-women policies. Modi’s far-right BJP party is deeply concerned about its prospects in upcoming national elections later this year.

The BJP came to power in 2014 with flowery promises of development and anti-corruption measures, but the material reality of a controversial currency policy, the anti-Muslim mob violence, persecution of Dalits, murder of journalists and intellectuals, lack of action on dire hardships faced by workers and farmers, and blatant misogyny have proven to the Indian people that the BJP has neither the ability, nor intention, of helping the majority of Indians.

https://www.liberationnews.org/millions ... rationnews

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

In case you can't make that out, this is Tulsi Gabbard wearing a BJP sash, standing with U.S. BJP supporter Vijay Jolly. Holding a picture of Nahendra Modi.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:57 am 
Board Emeritus

In case you can't make that out, this is Tulsi Gabbard wearing a BJP sash, standing with U.S. BJP supporter Vijay Jolly. Holding a picture of Nahendra Modi.

I remembered having seen Jolly's name, googled him and I saw his Wikipedia page, it does say he belongs to BJP, but what about RSS???

Search didn't bring up the kind of stuff I was looking for, RSS stuff. I added RSS to the search string and found what I was looking for, he does also belong to RSS.

I found this article from for me an unknown source. It seems to serendipitously explain what Gabbard is doing without directly mentioning her:

https://www.ozy.com/provocateurs/narend ... apon/41339

"Jolly also joined the RSS — Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh — the right-wing paramilitary limb of the party, known for objections to India’s religious pluralism and its belief in Hindu nationalism. He’s still a “proud member,” he says."

I found it but it lacks sourcing. It goes on to say:

"Herein lies the controversy. The RSS has been vocally anti-Muslim at best and violent at worst. With me, Jolly is vehement about his “tolerant values,” never once calls his party Hindu nationalist and cites more than once his belief in pluralism. When I ask about Muslims’ place in India, he doesn’t skip a beat: “Our enemies have always portrayed us as anti-Muslim, anti-Christian, anti-minority. We are tolerant. We will never say, ‘We are better than you.’” Plus, he argues, India never would have elected Modi last year had the party been a solely Hindu party. (That argument doesn’t quite stack up; Hindus make up about 80 percent of India, while Muslims are only 15 percent.)"

At the end it says this:

"Before we hang up, Jolly asks for my two-minute bio. I tell him: American-born, first-generation parents; Chicago, Atlanta, San Francisco. He “hmm”s with familiarity. “Send me some photos of yourself after this call, please,” he requests, as though that will bridge the oceans and continents sitting between us."

It would seem something bridged the oceans and continents sitting between Jolly and Gabbard, her wearing his sash.