Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

U.S. says no evidence foreign meddling impacted 2018 election

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Top U.S. officials said on Tuesday that foreign actors did not significantly influence the 2018 congressional elections, despite reports of hacking attempts leading up to the November election.

The statement by the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security stands in contrast to the 2016 presidential election, which U.S. officials say was the target of a sophisticated Russian hacking and propaganda campaign.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... 3A+Reuters%2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

So here's the thing. "Impact" is one of those tricky words. Can we prove the Russians interfered in 2018 elections to the extent of changing or swaying any of the outcomes?

Perhaps not, but that doesn't mean there wasn't evidence they again tried to interfere. Thing is, they are very clever and canny about this. How many votes were changed or swayed by disinformation? You may not be able to quantify that or show it was enough to change an outcome ... but it doesn't mean it didn't occur.

We all know there were a couple of very close Senate races where the final outcome was quite close, and with the balance of Senate control in question, ... I allege nothing, I can prove nothing, but if I was going to interfere (whether a foreign power or any other actor with desires), that would be where I'd put my thumb on the scale.