RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Looking at the lineup thus far, I gotta say my first favorite is Elizabeth Warren. She fights for the people and takes on Wall Street and the bankers. She works to protect the people from the types of loan sharking the banks do, especially to the most vulnerable.

It's early yet, but we shall see how she does on the debate stage with her democratic colleagues. I don't think the establishment Dems will
fight against her, especially if she starts winning states, the way they did Bernie. I still love Bernie, but I think Warren has a better chance to get the nomination and the blessing of her party leadership.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:49 pm 
Policy Wonk

Keeping my options open, listening intently and considering all reasonable offers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Whatever the Democratic establishment is, people have told me I'm part of it. I have no idea. I just occasionally go to meetings of the local university & area Democratic clubs, work on campaigns, and stuff.
(All my pay stubs to take down adherents of 9/11 truth come from the NSA. I kid, people, I kid. Or do I?)

So this part of the establishment likes Warren for now, but I haven't really made up my mind and as not everybody is yet done getting into the primary horse race, and I haven't really seen them get into the nitty gritty of debating each other. That's important to me not just to find out where they stand on issues (that's usually a google away), but also are they good at debating. :D

I am also one of those guys that is interested in how they're polling, because falling in love with somebody who can't win is a fools' errand. And the polls now mean nothing. The polls this summer will at least be starting to mean something beyond just name recognition.

I'm only sure of one person I won't vote for, and that's Gabbard. OK make that two. (I'm only talking about folks in the Dem primary.) Marianne Williamson. Everybody else, well I want to hear a bit more on what they're going to run on, and what they're going to do, and all that good stuff. I can't BTW see any scenario where I will support Hickenlooper, but if there is an errant comet that wipes out everybody else ... who knows what the future holds.

I like Andrew Yang as a protest candidate because he is raising an issue I view as important, but he does not have a snowball's chance in hell, and I won't even waste a protest vote on him in the primary. It just ain't happening.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:02 am 
Board Emeritus

I was just looking over Ballotopedia. That becomes my 2nd favorite "-pedia" once elections roll around. :D

https://ballotpedia.org/Presidential_candidates,_2020

First off. Did everybody forget John Delaney is running? I guess I did. Granted, that's because homey announced back in August of 2017. Talk about jumping the gun.

There's now 14 announced candidates for President in the Democratic primary. That will be a very crowded debate stage at the first debate. (Some will drop out before. Who knows, and how many.)

Then there's the potentials ... still on that list is Joe Biden. Also Sherrod Brown and Beto O'Rourke. (I don't think Beto is getting in. But who knows?) Guess I shouldn't leave off Oprah and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. :D

Now it's weird. They are listing Mike Pence as a potential 2020 Republican primary candidate. Well ... uh ... only if either a) Trump is gone by 2020 and Pence isn't or b) he does what has never happened in history, and ran against his own P as the former VP ... that would require balls of steel, and sure seems to be Pence left those in his other pants.

So far only one R primary opponent has formally announced, Bill Weld. Primary challenges against sitting party presidents going for their 2nd term are unusual ... but we're in unusual times. :D

Tom Steyer is on the declined to run list, think Trump was even tease-tweeting him about that the other day, there goes a long Samantha Bee segment on his "real" motives for impeachment. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:06 am 
Board Emeritus

I was just looking over Ballotopedia. That becomes my 2nd favorite "-pedia" once elections roll around. :D

https://ballotpedia.org/Presidential_candidates,_2020

Thanks for this! I doubt all of them will make it to the debate stage.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:22 am 
Board Emeritus

Kamala Harris has been my favorite for ten years. That's how long it's been since I spotted her. I've been supporting her and thinking she's one to take on that job.

I once had a similar relationship with a fellow named Obama. :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:31 am 
Board Emeritus

I like her a lot, Sam. She could end up with my primary vote. I'm undecided, I have my slight lean as I said, but who knows how things will look come March 2020 when the Florida primary rolls around.

If she's our nominee in the general, I will be as proud to fight for her victory as I did for Obama's. (I admit having some skepticism toward him in 2008 early on, but he won me over.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Biden seems to be coming up fast, and he hasn't even declared yet. He's awfully old, though.

I could get behind Kamala Harris in a second.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

Could put this in two other threads, but I guess I'll drop it here. Sherrod Brown announced today he is not running. Scratch him off the contenders.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Biden seems to be coming up fast, and he hasn't even declared yet. He's awfully old, though.

That one is a tough one, to venture a guess as to how his grand announcement will go, or to not venture a guess as to how his announcement will go, that is the question?

I'm drawn to the notion that when he announces about 10 or 15 percent of his support will evaporate in the polls in the first week, and from there will diminish on down to 5 or 10 percent over the next few months.

I think people, maybe ornery people, on telephones talking to pollsters, tell the pollsters they haven't decided yet, by way of saying "Joe Biden" when that question is asked.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:50 pm 
Policy Wonk

Quite frankly, I don't care, so long as you guys replace that Trump asshole.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Quite frankly, I don't care, so long as you guys replace that Trump asshole.

I get it, it's hard to feel in the middle of it unless you are in the middle of it.

There's an I'm not in the middle of it question I have.

There's some flap, or maybe its not a flap, something which have conservatives breathing breathless, but not so much in the real news, in their conspiracy trash, which has them acting like they've got a supersized Canadian Bengazzy to gnaw on.

I won't read their conspiracy trash because it won't tell me what's going on. What is going on, if anything is going on?

It's about Justin Trudeau.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

With Trump as president, I think the American public would be willing to support a safe, familiar candidate they're already comfortable with and that would be Joe Biden. At his age, he'd be a one-term president transitioning the office from a lunacy to one of respectability again.

I'd suggest if he is the nominee then he choose Kamala Harris as his vice-president. She's smart, charismatic, liberal, and a fighter and after four years as VP she'd be able to position herself for a run at the presidency in 2024.

I think there are probably no more than five candidates with a chance of getting the Democratic nomination and the rest will be positioning themselves as mini-power brokers able to gets their constituencies to support one of the five major candidates. It's possible someone outside the top five could become the nominee (Obama was a long-shot when he entered the race in 2007).

I'll wait and get more information on the candidates before settling on any one candidate. I have nearly a year before California has their primary to make up my mind.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

With Trump as president, I think the American public would be willing to support a safe, familiar candidate they're already comfortable with and that would be Joe Biden. At his age, he'd be a one-term president transitioning the office from a lunacy to one of respectability again.

I'd suggest if he is the nominee then he choose Kamala Harris as his vice-president. She's smart, charismatic, liberal, and a fighter and after four years as VP she'd be able to position herself for a run at the presidency in 2024.

I think there are probably no more than five candidates with a chance of getting the Democratic nomination and the rest will be positioning themselves as mini-power brokers able to gets their constituencies to support one of the five major candidates. It's possible someone outside the top five could become the nominee (Obama was a long-shot when he entered the race in 2007).

I'll wait and get more information on the candidates before settling on any one candidate. I have nearly a year before California has their primary to make up my mind.

i can't think of a better way to insure that Kamala Harris never becomes President than for her to follow for four years in the foot steps of Biden.

Being vice president when a sitting president ends his stay does not set one up to run. It's been done but it's not been done often. I would venture to say that is why Biden sat the last one out. That and death in the family.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:26 am 
Board Emeritus

Joe Biden is the last one I would consider voting for and I'm confidently certain he will not be the nominee should he run.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:25 am 
Board Emeritus

I see Bill de Blasio is running. I like him too.

So there's how many candidates now?

Can any of the female candidates beat Trump? The U.S. as a whole is still stuck in a 50's mindset when it comes to old tradition of patriarch, so for that reason I fear a woman can't beat Trump. And I doubt Joe Biden can. But any other male candidate can.

Then there's the issue of Trump not leaving office if he loses, but that's a topic for another thread.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:47 am 
Board Emeritus

I see Bill de Blasio is running. I like him too.

So there's how many candidates now?

Can any of the female candidates beat Trump? The U.S. as a whole is still stuck in a 50's mindset when it comes to old tradition of patriarch, so for that reason I fear a woman can't beat Trump. And I doubt Joe Biden can. But any other male candidate can.

Then there's the issue of Trump not leaving office if he loses, but that's a topic for another thread.

If he runs he'll be candidate #21 along with MT Gov. Bullock's own future presidential announcement which will make him the 22nd candidate.