Congressional panel votes to release Trump’s tax returns to public

News and events of the day
Bludogdem

Re: Congressional panel votes to release Trump’s tax returns to public

Post by Bludogdem »

Drak wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:24 pm Cry more. The SC ruled to hand the taxes over. You know, the SC owned by federalist judges.
Yeah they did. Properly.

And the committee said “ they would not simply release confidential information to the public”. They lied. Abandoned principle. They showed their ass.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:22 pm Of course he lied. That’s his standard go to. It’s what he does.

That’s not a defense for the committee lying to the court. So now the committee is mud wrestling with trump. They showed their ass.
No, it's Trump showing his ass. It's time for him to be indicted and on his way to prison.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Reality check:
Judge Trevor McFadden of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia reached the same conclusion in his December 2021 decision rejecting Trump’s bid to block the IRS from releasing his returns. “It might not be right or wise to publish the returns,” McFadden wrote, but the House Ways and Means Committee has the “right to do so.” And if the House Ways and Means Committee exercises that right with respect to Trump’s returns, its action wouldn’t be unprecedented: In 2014, the House Ways and Means Committee published return information regarding 51 taxpayers as part of its investigation into allegations that the IRS had discriminated against conservative nonprofit organizations seeking tax exempt status.

In the definitive scholarly treatment of Section 6103(f), longtime University of Virginia law professor George Yin, who served as chief of staff of the Joint Committee on Taxation from 2003 to 2005, concludes that the choice to allow the three tax committees to publish private tax information was a “conscious decision” by Congress. Prior to 1976, Yin explains, the president—along with the three congressional tax committees—had statutory authority to make return information public. A 1976 amendment eliminated the president’s authority to publicize return information but preserved the power of the three tax committees. “Congress no doubt felt compelled in 1976 to preserve some outlet for Congressional disclosures to the public,” Yin writes, and it “was natural to give this authority to the tax committees.”

On top of all this, the Speech and Debate Clause immunizes lawmakers from liability for statements they make in committee and on the House or Senate floor. So even if it weren’t for Section 6103(f)(4), a Ways and Means Committee member could—without legal consequence—read Trump’s tax returns aloud, line by line, with the C-SPAN cameras rolling. But House Democrats don’t need to rely on constitutional super-immunity here: The relevant statutory provisions clearly empower the Ways and Means Committee to enter Trump’s tax returns into the public domain.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:47 pm Reality check:
And the committee said “ they would not simply release confidential information to the public”. They lied. Abandoned principle. They showed their ass.

Didn’t say it was illegal. Said it goes against principles. Fundamental principles and rights.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:20 pm And the committee said “ they would not simply release confidential information to the public”. They lied. Abandoned principle. They showed their ass.

Didn’t say it was illegal. Said it goes against principles. Fundamental principles and rights.
hehehe...... Goes against principles......Abandoned principles..... They lied. Change the, "they lied" to, "he lied," and now ya have something. Releasing Presidential tax returns had been on it's way to a time honored tradition. "He" stomped all over a principle. Lied about it "he " did.

https://www.taxnotes.com/presidential-tax-returns
Frequently Asked Questions
10. Can Congress compel disclosure?
Whether Congress can compel disclosure of presidential (and vice presidential) tax returns remains to be seen. A law enacted in 1924 empowers key leaders of the House Ways and Means and Senate Finance committees to request tax return information from Treasury, including individual returns filed by just about anyone. Such a request doesn’t necessarily involve public disclosure of the requested information, and indeed, the law requires lawmakers to treat that material confidentially. But the law also gives lawmakers a procedure for making that information public should either committee decide, after a formal vote, that disclosure is warranted.

The Ways and Means Committee is seeking tax returns filed by Trump, as well as returns from several of his businesses and related audit and administrative materials developed by the IRS. To date, Treasury has declined to provide that information, and the standoff seems likely to find its way to a courtroom sometime soon.

The law requires lawmakers to treat tax return information confidentially. But the law also gives lawmakers a procedure for making that information public should either committee decide, after a formal vote, that disclosure is warranted.

In a related development, the House passed legislation in March that would require presidents, vice presidents, and major party nominees for both offices to publicly disclose 10 years of tax returns. The legislation is awaiting action in the Senate.
[bold]i'd not mind one bit if they upped that and made it any person running for public office to have to do the same.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

bradman wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:53 pm hehehe...... Goes against principles......Abandoned principles..... They lied. Change the, "they lied" to, "he lied," and now ya have something. Releasing Presidential tax returns had been on it's way to a time honored tradition. "He" stomped all over a principle. Lied about it "he " did.

https://www.taxnotes.com/presidential-tax-returns
Frequently Asked Questions

[bold]i'd not mind one bit if they upped that and made it any person running for public office to have to do the same.
So trumps bad behavior legitimizes the committee’s bad behavior. Sad perspective. Like I said the committee is mud wrestling with trump. Sad.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:20 pm And the committee said “ they would not simply release confidential information to the public”. They lied. Abandoned principle. They showed their ass.

I guess only Dems are supposed to have principles.

The GOP has no principles, and you vote for them anyway. Hypocrite.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:12 pm So trumps bad behavior legitimizes the committee’s bad behavior. Sad perspective. Like I said the committee is mud wrestling with trump. Sad.
LOL “Trump’s bad behavior.” So far we can glean his worth isn’t what he claims, he’s no billionaire, and he doesn’t pay much in taxes. And he wasn’t audited his first two years in office. But you want to treat him like a child and label him with “bad behavior,” when it’s a fact he’s a known fraudster. Hilarious. Talk about sad perspectives.

And tough. He said he’d release his taxes then fought tooth and nail to hide them for years. But you don’t like transparency. You love your GOP criming.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:42 pm I guess only Dems are supposed to have principles.

The GOP has no principles, and you vote for them anyway. Hypocrite.
So it’s ok for Democrats to abandon principles because of the actions of others. Got it.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:23 am So it’s ok for Democrats to abandon principles because of the actions of others. Got it.
So it’s fine for you to ignore high treason and focus on jaywalking. Got it.

Look, in January they would bury Trumps criminality. They forced the Dems hands
Drak

Post by Drak »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:23 am So it’s ok for Democrats to abandon principles because of the actions of others. Got it.
Uh huh. Your entire party has absolutely NO principles. They attempted a coup. But you go ahead and keep whining about Dems releasing Trump's fraudulent tax returns.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
gounion

Post by gounion »

What about the principles of the GOP to continue to block all accountability for Jan 6th?
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:29 pm Yeah they did. Properly.

What constitutes "confidential information?" From what I've read/heard is the returns will black out personal information such as SSN, account numbers, etc.. before releasing the information.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

Drak wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:48 am Uh huh. Your entire party has absolutely NO principles. They attempted a coup. But you go ahead and keep whining about Dems releasing Trump's fraudulent tax returns.
I’m an independent. Who votes mostly Democratic. I don’t have much by way of expectations with regards to repubs. I do expect better from the Democrats. Unfortunately they have decided to mud wrestle.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:48 pm I’m an independent. Who votes mostly Democratic. I don’t have much by way of expectations with regards to repubs. I do expect better from the Democrats. Unfortunately they have decided to mud wrestle.
You’re a lying sack of shit, greengrass. We all know it. Drak outed you and you fell for it.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

Number6 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:34 pm What constitutes "confidential information?" From what I've read/heard is the returns will black out personal information such as SSN, account numbers, etc.. before releasing the information.
Businesses consider tax strategies confidential information. Then there’s the 4th amendment. And the general principles of peoples right to keep thing like tax records private. This is slippery slope. Imagine Pelosi and Feinstein taxes laid bare to the public.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:52 pm Businesses consider tax strategies confidential information. Then there’s the 4th amendment. And the general principles of peoples right to keep thing like tax records private. This is slippery slope. Imagine Pelosi and Feinstein taxes laid bare to the public.
Let’s do it. Let’s make it law that if you run for elective federal office (since you don’t know what that means, it means Congress, Senate or President) or are nominated for a Federal, Appellate or Supreme Court judge or justice positions, you have to release several years of tax returns.

It won’t happen, because the GOP will block it. You’ve got more crooks than we do.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:00 pm Let’s do it. Let’s make it law that if you run for elective federal office (since you don’t know what that means, it means Congress, Senate or President) or are nominated for a Federal, Appellate or Supreme Court judge or justice positions, you have to release several years of tax returns.

It won’t happen, because the GOP will block it. You’ve got more crooks than we do.
That would be unconstitutional.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:01 pm That would be unconstitutional.
Well then quit saying you want to see Democrat’s taxes.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:05 pm Well then quit saying you want to see Democrat’s taxes.
I don’t want to see anyones taxes. I thought that would be rather obvious by my disdain for publishing trump’s taxes.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:07 pm I don’t want to see anyones taxes. I thought that would be rather obvious by my disdain for publishing trump’s taxes.
Bullshit. You’re the one that mentioned releasing Pelosi and Fineman’s taxes. I think that they’d be fantastic compared to your hero Trump’s. He’s lied all the way. He was never under audit. He kept the IRS from auditing him, even though they were supposed to. He’s the most corrupt and criminal man ever to hold the office.

Look, this was forced on the Dems, because the GOP was going to bury those taxes. Taxes that the Supreme Court said to hand over. They didn’t say the returns couldn’t be released to the public. If his rights were abused, then let him sue and let the courts decide.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:14 pm Bullshit. You’re the one that mentioned releasing Pelosi and Fineman’s taxes. I think that they’d be fantastic compared to your hero Trump’s. He’s lied all the way. He was never under audit. He kept the IRS from auditing him, even though they were supposed to. He’s the most corrupt and criminal man ever to hold the office.

Look, this was forced on the Dems, because the GOP was going to bury those taxes. Taxes that the Supreme Court said to hand over. They didn’t say the returns couldn’t be released to the public. If his rights were abused, then let him sue and let the courts decide.
I simply suggested that by releasing trumps the floodgates might open. Simply cited two enormously rich individuals who might be targets.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:14 pm Bullshit. You’re the one that mentioned releasing Pelosi and Fineman’s taxes. I think that they’d be fantastic compared to your hero Trump’s. He’s lied all the way. He was never under audit. He kept the IRS from auditing him, even though they were supposed to. He’s the most corrupt and criminal man ever to hold the office.

Trumps been regularly under IRS audit since the mid 90’s bankruptcy. It’s the nature of the real estate development business.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:33 pm Trumps been regularly under IRS audit since the mid 90’s bankruptcy. It’s the nature of the real estate development business.
No, he hasn’t. That’s a lie. We know it’s a lie.

He lied. He said he couldn’t release his taxes because he’s under audit. He lied.

And you can’t bring yourself to admit it.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:31 pm I simply suggested that by releasing trumps the floodgates might open. Simply cited two enormously rich individuals who might be targets.
Then open them. I don’t give a fuck.

Trump is a crook, and his taxes prove it.