December 7, 1941, A Day That Will Live In Infamy

News and events of the day
Number6

December 7, 1941, A Day That Will Live In Infamy

Post by Number6 »

Today is the 80th anniversary of the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor. There are few veterans still around who were there that day. Up to that time, it was the worst attack on the United States. The damage inflected:

Two battleships, the USS Arizona and the USS Oklahoma, were sunk with a loss of lives totaling 1,606.
Six battleships damaged but returned to service, total lost of lives 284.
USS Utah, battleship training ship, sunk with 64 lives lost.
Three cruisers hits, 20 lives lost.
Four destroyers damaged and all returned to service.
Five other ships damaged, one which was sunk and returned to service, resulting in 19 lives lost.

December 7th of every year is a date we should remember. The attack ended the debate of whether the U.S. should get involved in WWII. The nation was united and came together to help their country win the war. The American people conducted scrap metal drives, accepted food and gasoline rationing, and it marked the time women joined the labor force in the millions to do the jobs men would normally be doing but who were in the military. They're called The Greatest Generation but IMO, they showed us how we, today, should come together; we should put aside our differences and come to the aid of our country when it's needed.

Our local news station did a story on a 102-year old Pearl Harbor survivor. For his age, his recall is clear and his speech is easily understandable. Below is a link to the news segment.
CBS8
When you vote left, you vote right.
Libertas

Re: December 7, 1941, A Day That Will Live In Infamy

Post by Libertas »

My dad got there December 8th on The USS Northampton (pretty sure it was that ship, he was on that ship until it was sunk,)

If we are bombed today, do the cons support the country bombing us? I think yes.
Last edited by Libertas on Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I sigh in your general direction.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

WHAT HAPPENED TO PEARL HARBOR'S DEAD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6nt_kdLnvA
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Libertas wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:22 pm My dad got there December 8th on The USS Northampton (pretty sure it was that ship, he was on that ship until it was sunk,)

If we are bombed today, do the cons support the country bombing us? I think yes.
My father was commissioned an Ensign on October 1941 and assigned as a Navy dive bomber pilot on the USS Enterprise which was out to sea when the attack occurred. He was one of the pilots from the Enterprise to help defend Guadalcanal and took part in campaigns in the Philippines, the China Sea, Japan, Formosa and Wake Island. He's credited with sinking a Japanese transport carrier and the Navy tapped him to tour the country to help sell war bonds.
When you vote left, you vote right.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Two of my father's brothers, my uncles, served in segregated units with no chances of rising in rank.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:53 pm Two of my father's brothers, my uncles, served in segregated units with no chances of rising in rank.
And risked their lives anyway for their country, something no trump family member would ever even consider, or were told if they did they would be disowned.
I sigh in your general direction.