Doc Strange: Multiverse of Madness

TV, Movies, Music and the Rest!
ProfX

Doc Strange: Multiverse of Madness

Post by ProfX »

OK. The leaks are flying fast and furious. BTW, can I, should I, issue any type of spoiler warning? Who knows if these leaks are true? Maybe they WERE true and reshoots have changed things? Who knows what will be in the final edit release of the movie?

I probably won't surprise you if I focus on one thing - Professor X (Charles Xavier) - as portrayed by Patrick Stewart (IIRC, James McAvoy said he's "done") - will be in the film. According to recent rumors anyway. And yes, Wanda will be going serious bad, and fighting ... "Prof X".

Doctor Strange 2: Every Character Rumored to Appear in the Marvel Sequel
With the multiverse torn open, Doctor Strange 2 could feature a ton of Marvel characters from some unexpected places.
https://www.cbr.com/doctor-strange-2-ru ... explained/

Professor X May Appear As A Member Of Doctor Strange 2'S Illuminati

Ever since Disney acquired 21st Century Fox (and all of the Marvel properties that it owned), fans have eagerly awaited the day that the X-Men make their debut in the MCU. That day may finally come with Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, as Patrick Stewart has been rumored to reprise his iconic role of Professor Charles Xavier from the X-Men films. According to these rumors, Stewart's Xavier will be depicted as a leading member of the Illuminati, who Strange will reportedly encounter during his trip through the multiverse with America Chavez.

[snip][end]

So who knows what rumors are true? Could some of these be very brief and meaningless cameos? They also mention the possibility of Mr. Fantastic being a brief appearance in the film, too. (But who will be the actor?) And yes, there are some rumors Hugh Jackman will reprise being Wolverine in the film, too. Though he denied it. Of course, Andrew Garfield also denied being in NWH until he couldn't any more. :D

Again, the interesting thing is - it looks like THIS Xavier will be in a different universe from the MCU-verse Dr. Strange. (And possibly "that" Wolverine.) So is this really introducing the X-Men into the MCU? "Yes and no". We don't know they DON'T exist in the MAIN MCU universe-continuity, we've just not seen them yet. But if the multiverse is going to be a thing for the whole MCU in the future, I guess once they exist in some universe, they exist "all over" the MCU.

We know from the "trailer"/post credit teaser at the end of NWH that Strange will be facing ... himself ... AKA the "universe destroying" Strange Supreme of What If ...
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ProfX

Re: Doc Strange: Multiverse of Madness

Post by ProfX »

It's also hinted by most of these leaks that America Chavez will also be in the movie. A journalist says she is the MCU's first Latinx superhero. Well ... not exactly. But the movie may be confirming something else about her.

America Chavez Doctor Strange 2 Merch Includes LGBTQ+ Flag
A new T-shirt for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness hints the Marvel film will bring America Chavez's queerness into the MCU.
https://screenrant.com/doctor-strange-2 ... gbtq-flag/

Newly revealed Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness merch includes an LGBTQ+ flag on an America Chavez shirt. Just like last year, the MCU has a packed schedule for 2022 both at the movie theater and on Disney+. First up on the movie side is Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, the second solo outing for Benedict Cumberbatch's Stephen Strange. It is currently scheduled to arrive in May after multiple delays. Scott Derrickson was initially on board to direct after helming 2016's Doctor Strange, but following his departure over creative issues, Sam Raimi was hired in his stead.

Much like the recent Spider-Man: No Way Home, Doctor Strange 2 will find the sorcerer dealing with the multiverse as it continues to wreak havoc on the MCU. After enacting a dangerous spell, Doctor Strange has split the multiverse wide open, and it will take all of his power - as well as that of his allies - to stop matters from getting worse. In addition to featuring characters from Doctor Strange like Wong (Benedict Wong) and Baron Mordo (Chiwetel Ejiofor), Multiverse of Madness will see Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen) join forces with Stephen. The movie will also feature the live-action debut of Young Avenger member America Chavez (Xochitl Gomez).

A new piece of Doctor Strange 2 merch contains a major nod to America's comics story and even hints it will carry over to the MCU. Currently available for purchase on Amazon is a T-shirt with America's costume emblazoned on the front. The denim jacket image features nods to her Latin-American heritage and also has a small LGBTQ+ flag pinned to one of the pockets. You can see a picture of the shirt down below.

In the comics, America is an out and proud lesbian, and it looks like Doctor Strange 2 will keep that part of her identity in the transition to the big screen. The MCU has made some strides in the past year when it comes to LGBTQ+ representation, between confirming Loki (Tom Hiddleston) is bisexual and introducing the first openly gay hero in Eternals' Phastos (Brian Tyree Henry). Retaining America's comics sexuality would be a great way to further the franchise's representation while also honoring the stories that created her.

[snip][end]

Rumors are that Xochitl Gomez will play America Chavez - btw she is key to the movie as one of her powers is inter dimensional travel ...

"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

OK. We can take this one out of the rumor category. Feige confirmed it. Including the actress.

Who is America Chavez, The New Hero in ‘Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness?’
Marvel’s first major Latinx hero might have a big future in the MCU
https://www.thewrap.com/who-is-america- ... f-madness/

When Kevin Feige announced that “Baby-Sitters Club” actress Xochitl Gomez would officially portray the character of America Chavez in “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” comic fans were thrilled. But as for the wider world, there was a lot of confusion. Who was America Chavez? What does her character add to a film that already includes big Marvel characters like Doctor Strange and Scarlet Witch?

If you’re one of the people asking those above questions, we’re here to help school you on this awesome superhero you probably have never heard of. Aside from a short-lived 2017 solo series, America has mostly been a side character in comics like “A-Force,” “Ultimates,” and “West Coast Avengers.” So it’s not surprising that a lot of people haven’t heard about her. But it seems like Marvel is finally letting her have the spotlight, and we’re betting she’s going to be a big part of the MCU going forward. It’s also notable that America Chavez will be Marvel’s first big Latinx hero–as well as a LGBT one. With a Marvel Universe that’s becoming more diverse, America’s inclusion will no doubt be a welcome addition.

Originally created by Created by Joe Casey and Nick Dragotta, America first appeared in a 2011 limited series called “Vengeance.” But where America really found her footing, and her comic fan following, was in the 2013 “Young Avengers” series helmed by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie. America was raised by her mothers in a place called the Utopian Parallel: a reality that doesn’t exist in time and is ruled by a being called the Demiurge. The Demiurge is where America got her powers of superhuman strength, speed, flight, and having the ability to create inter-dimensional portals by separating dimensions. (Usually with her fists. Talk about literally punching your way out of things.)

When America was a young child, her home was threatened by destruction, so her mothers sacrificed themselves in order to save it. In her grief, America created an inter-dimensional portal so she could escape her home realm, basically copying what her mothers did and opening a hole into the larger Multiverse. This resulted in America traveling across different realms, eventually taking on the superhero moniker of Miss America. In her adventures, she joined the Teen Brigade (a covert operation of superheroes) and later, the Young Avengers, a group that included a few other heroes whose names you might recognize from upcoming MCU projects: Kate Bishop and Loki.

[snip]

Another thing to consider about how America might tie into the Marvel universe and why she’s important: in the comics, she was the leader of the Ultimates, a team that included Captain Marvel, Black Panther, and Monica Rambeau. All of those are characters that we’ve already been introduced to in the MCU.

[snip][end]

This is America Chavez with Kate Bishop and ... I bet that's Pizza Dog.

gounion

Post by gounion »

Thanks for the explainers, Prof. Truth is, I wasn't much of a fan of Marvel when I was a kid.

Looking forward to the new characters. I know Hawkeye was a real blast!
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

So, as I've said, when I was a youngun, and started reading comics, a lot of what I guess "classic" or "golden age" stuff was already over. Further, some of these characters came along after I stopped. Like America Chavez or Kate Bishop or Ironheart. Fortunately, there's now the Internet and lots of contemporary sites that follow comic/geek culture. And usually I can understand the context of the new characters.

I read both DC and Marvel comics when I was a kid. I also enjoy both Star Trek and Star Wars. Different settings, one is more sci-fantasy than sci-fi, but that's OK. I don't get into fandom wars. :D So anyhoo, yes, I watch some of the CW shows ... although most of them seem to be going off air or jumping the shark. And who knows, looks like it's getting sold. Superman & Lois, which seems set in the future when they have teenage kids, is honestly, not bad.

And finally, there is a RW segment of nerd-dom that seems to rage with fury that Marvel is using more and more female, LGBT, and non-"Aryan" heroes and characters. But I have nothing to do with those people. I like the Pakistani Ms. Marvel, and the Latina America Chavez. If that bothers them ... well, what can I say. Get out of Mom's basement and get a life. :D
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

First official trailer is out. Played during the Stupor Bowl.

You can hear the voice of Patrick Stewart, aka Professor X, apparently in the movie he's the head of the Multiversal Illuminati.

Is Wanda the main villain? She apparently also encounters one of her own "alters".

You can see America Chavez in the trailer, opening up her famous star-shaped inter-dimensional portals.

Something that looks like Captain Marvel (?) appears to be lunging at her at one point.

Still can't embed videos, I'll just link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWzlQ2N6qqg
gounion

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:44 am First official trailer is out. Played during the Stupor Bowl.

You can hear the voice of Patrick Stewart, aka Professor X, apparently in the movie he's the head of the Multiversal Illuminati.

Is Wanda the main villain? She apparently also encounters one of her own "alters".

You can see America Chavez in the trailer, opening up her famous star-shaped inter-dimensional portals.

Something that looks like Captain Marvel (?) appears to be lunging at her at one point.

Still can't embed videos, I'll just link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWzlQ2N6qqg
Looks WILD. Also looks like it'll be tough to keep up with everything happening!
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

ProfX wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:28 am So, as I've said, when I was a youngun, and started reading comics, a lot of what I guess "classic" or "golden age" stuff was already over. Further, some of these characters came along after I stopped. Like America Chavez or Kate Bishop or Ironheart. Fortunately, there's now the Internet and lots of contemporary sites that follow comic/geek culture. And usually I can understand the context of the new characters.

I read both DC and Marvel comics when I was a kid. I also enjoy both Star Trek and Star Wars. Different settings, one is more sci-fantasy than sci-fi, but that's OK. I don't get into fandom wars. :D So anyhoo, yes, I watch some of the CW shows ... although most of them seem to be going off air or jumping the shark. And who knows, looks like it's getting sold. Superman & Lois, which seems set in the future when they have teenage kids, is honestly, not bad.

And finally, there is a RW segment of nerd-dom that seems to rage with fury that Marvel is using more and more female, LGBT, and non-"Aryan" heroes and characters. But I have nothing to do with those people. I like the Pakistani Ms. Marvel, and the Latina America Chavez. If that bothers them ... well, what can I say. Get out of Mom's basement and get a life. :D
Do you remember one called The unknown Soldier? from like the 70s I remember hearing seeing Jim Morrison perform the song of the same name had a big effect just the way that it seemed like this big hole that was always digging itself deeper.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

No, but it sounds like an interesting title.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unknown_S ... DC_Comics)

Face wrapped in bandages? Could take on the appearance of any other people? Sorta reminds me of the character Darkman.

I doesn't seem like the Jim Morrison song is about this character, as opposed to just about the Tomb in DC, or the people throughout history it is dedicated to....

BTW, if the (Marvel) Illuminati are in this film, their ranks tended to include Reed Richards, as well as Xavier, so we might be getting two key debuts in this film ... although maybe not necessarily in the "main" MCU universe/continuity. (Although that doesn't mean they don't exist in "our" cinematic universe, even if we haven't seen them, yet.)

It looks like the very first X-Men project from Marvel-Disney will be an animated series which is a direct continuation of the 90s animated series, streaming on the TV service. Supposedly, a Fantastic 4 reboot (third time's the charm) is also in the works.
gounion

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:46 pm No, but it sounds like an interesting title.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unknown_S ... DC_Comics)

Face wrapped in bandages? Could take on the appearance of any other people? Sorta reminds me of the character Darkman.

I doesn't seem like the Jim Morrison song is about this character, as opposed to just about the Tomb in DC, or the people throughout history it is dedicated to....

BTW, if the (Marvel) Illuminati are in this film, their ranks tended to include Reed Richards, as well as Xavier, so we might be getting two key debuts in this film ... although maybe not necessarily in the "main" MCU universe/continuity. (Although that doesn't mean they don't exist in "our" cinematic universe, even if we haven't seen them, yet.)

It looks like the very first X-Men project from Marvel-Disney will be an animated series which is a direct continuation of the 90s animated series, streaming on the TV service. Supposedly, a Fantastic 4 reboot (third time's the charm) is also in the works.
Third time was certainly the charm for Spider Man!
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

They apparently want Doctor Doom in the MCU in a bad way.

I did not like the way the character was portrayed in the first F4 films (where Chris Evans, before he was Captain America, was the douchebaggy human torch) ... while it was an interesting plot dynamic making him and Reed friends (before the "accident") and also romantic rivals for Sue Storm ... totally has nothing to do with the comix, where he's just some ruler of a fictional Eastern European country called Latveria.

And then in the 2nd film ... Galactus is just some gigantic angry space cloud? (I did like the portrayal of the Silver Surfer.)

And then in the reboot film ... dunno, he's again (at first) friends with Reed & the others, then just falls into some inter dimensional goo, then gets weird powers in whatever other dimension they found.

He is such a classic villain - like Darth Vader - they have to get him right - maybe these films will. The question is, if Reed Richards is in Multiverse of Madness, who will play him, and will it be the same actor for the upcoming project. (The multiverse means it doesn't have to be.)
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

So, the latest trailers have pretty much confirmed Dr. Strange will be meeting the (Marvel) Illuminati, and we can definitely see 3 members.

Me. :D (Aka Professor X, Charles Xavier, apparently sporting the "floaty yellow chair" he used in the '97 animated series.)
Don't blink or you'll miss the distinctive shield of the live-action Captain Carter. Also Maria Rambeau as Captain Marvel.
Reed Richards was a member in the comics ... if so, haven't shown him yet. Also true for "Superior Iron Man," which so many rumor sites are claiming will be played by Tom Cruise in the film ...

Wanda and her kids ("Wiccan" and "Speed") are definitely in the new trailers, this seems to confirm the leak that much of the plot of the film will revolve around Wanda trying to find them in the multiverse.

Will she be the big bad? Has Feige as usual been trying to hide this until the last minute? I think she will be the "under-bad" but there will be another force controlling her, corrupting her - most likely Chthon through the Darkhold. (But there are other theories - possibly Nightmare, or guess who, Mephisto.)

Will she die? (Even if she does, they don't seem to be sticking to this "canon" thing that she's a Nexus being with no variants; I say that because obviously that doesn't preclude her from reappearing.) I have a feeling no, and of course I'm hoping she'll get a moment of redemption, realizing that the cost of regaining her kids doesn't justify the damage to the entire multiverse.

Olson seems to have signed an ongoing contract with Disney/Marvel so I don't think this is her swan song.
gounion

Post by gounion »

So is anyone going to see it at the theater? We currently plan to go Monday afternoon, where I think we won't face a full theater.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Well, I am not going to try and see it on Thurs or Fri - expect there will be way too much "madness". :D

Theatres are starting to get back crowds now and I suspect this one will haz them.

So, the no-spoiler reviews are starting to come in ... and they are mostly good.

‘Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness’ First Reactions Praise Director Sam Raimi’s ‘Brilliant Mind’
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/doct ... 235255717/

Most critics like the performances, and they like Raimi's direction. He seems to have bent the MCU formula, and really gone for a horror element.

There will be surprises. And I promise to be careful about spoiling them once I know them. :D It's looking like many leaks were true but eh - who knows - we have to see. Darn thing went through a lot of reshoots and rewrites - that's known.

Anyway, the bottom line, whoever shows up in this film (rumor has it many cameos were cut, lord the speculation is everywhere, about everybody from Bruce Campbell to Hugh Jackman), Marvel's pretty much confirmed the X-Men are coming back, if at least first as an animated continuation to the '97 series on Disney +, and they have said they are working on Fantastic Four - reboot 2, in cinemas. It's happening.
gounion

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:34 am Well, I am not going to try and see it on Thurs or Fri - expect there will be way too much "madness". :D

Theatres are starting to get back crowds now and I suspect this one will haz them.

So, the no-spoiler reviews are starting to come in ... and they are mostly good.

‘Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness’ First Reactions Praise Director Sam Raimi’s ‘Brilliant Mind’
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/doct ... 235255717/

Most critics like the performances, and they like Raimi's direction. He seems to have bent the MCU formula, and really gone for a horror element.

There will be surprises. And I promise to be careful about spoiling them once I know them. :D It's looking like many leaks were true but eh - who knows - we have to see. Darn thing went through a lot of reshoots and rewrites - that's known.

Anyway, the bottom line, whoever shows up in this film (rumor has it many cameos were cut, lord the speculation is everywhere, about everybody from Bruce Campbell to Hugh Jackman), Marvel's pretty much confirmed the X-Men are coming back, if at least first as an animated continuation to the '97 series on Disney +, and they have said they are working on Fantastic Four - reboot 2, in cinemas. It's happening.
Probably after next Monday-Tuesday you shouldn't come back to the thread if you don't want spoilers.

Let me know when you see it, and when we both have, we can discuss!
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Because the spoiler tags still appear to not be working ...

[spoiler] test test [/spoiler]

Yeah still not working ... so put big warnings like I usually do ...

**** SPOILER WARNING ***

Deadpool had the most awesome cameo!

I kid, of course, but who the hell knows. :lol:

Hmmm. Final trailer is out. It's pretty much impossible to watch this final trailer and not realize it is Wanda who is attacking Kamar-Taj.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

OK, I finally saw the film.

** SUPER DUPER MEGA LEVEL MASTER SPOILER WARNING** **YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED**

I think you must have been sleeping through the final TV trailers to not get that Wanda was the film's big bad. Yes, Feige artfully hid this in most of the trailers but you can see her attacking Kamar-Taj in the final trailers.

She is. From the very beginning, she has been the one sending demons to capture America Chavez. That scene where Strange goes to her for help? BTW, that quickly deteriorates as he instantly realizes she has been the one hunting Chavez all along. Her plan is to steal Chavez' multiverse-hopping powers so she can use them to go to a universe where her kids Billy & Tommy actually exist. Doing this will kill Chavez, of course. BTW, at one point she is asked what she will do to the "other" Wanda who is their mother and already lives in that universe. Well, she takes over that other Wanda's body at one point, turning it into her murderhobo puppet, but the question is ... is she willing to kill ... herself? To get what she wants? This realization and how horrified her "kids" are at seeing her, increasingly tainted by evil, finally breaks her of the Darkhold's control. You never see Chthon in the film, but it's clear the Darkhold is corrupting and controlling her.

BTW, Strange himself confronts the question of whether it is worth it to use the Darkhold for his own purposes, and he even runs into a version of himself that basically wiped out his own universe by using it, yet he has to do it, to take over a "zombie" version of himself in order to save Chavez. Has he also paid the price for doing so? He's got a weird third eye at the end. A big theme of the film is does power corrupt, and Strange keeps running into this question for himself, as well as for Wanda.

Anyway, Wanda eventually realizes not only has what she been doing is wrong, but that the Darkhold must be destroyed, and so she needs to wipe out the "stone" version of it at Wundagore Mountain ... which she implodes upon itself (destroying all versions of it in all universes) ... and presumably killing herself in the process. Well, all I can say is, there's a multiverse, there may only ever be one "nexus" version of Scarlet Witch, but we know there are many Wandas across the multiverse, plus of course what I call MCU rule 1 -- we never saw her die, and we know she can teleport or put shields around herself with hex magic, so ..... finally, as I've said the fact that Elizabeth Olson is already talking about future projects is the clincher for me. :D

Yes, the Illuminati are in the film. John Krasinski is in the film as Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic. We DO know Marvel is going to do a MCU F4. Will he still be the actor? Obviously who knows. Yes, of course, it IS Patrick Stewart who is none other than me, Professor X, in his floaty yellow chair. :mrgreen: (There are no other X-Men in the film. No Wolverine, no Deadpool. Also, no Superior Iron Man. Yes, Bruce Campbell. :D ) We find out by the way the Illuminati had to destroy the Dr. Strange of their universe because while he defeated Thanos, the Darkhold corrupted him in the process ... anyway, Wanda basically kills them all. Once again, as it's a multiverse, this means nothing. For all we know, there still is (or already is) a Charles Xavier in the MCU (which is officially Earth-616 BTW) and other X-Men and a Fantastic Four.

Anyway. It's not the end of Wanda (IMHO, anyway), America Chavez goes to Kamar-Taj to train (as she's finally getting her dimension-hopping power under control and may well have others), and because Strange dared to use the Darkhold to possess his "zombie" body, he may be corrupted, as he now has a third eye in his forehead, sorta like the "Sinister Strange" of the other universe. BTW, curiously, Paul Bettany/"white vision" is not in the film either, and Wanda never seemed so much interested in finding him again as her kids. Anyway, "white vision" is also still out there...

Post credits scene: the final after the credits scene is a gag. It's Bruce Campbell finally ceasing to punch himself in the face. I kid you not. Don't waste your time waiting to see it. He literally says "it's over!" and then so is the film. :roll:

First mid credits scene: "third eye" Strange-616 suddenly runs into Charlize Theron in strange robes, who tells him she needs his help, and opens a portal into the Dark Dimension of Dormammu. You know if you know anything from the comics - she's Clea, from that dimension, who eventually became both Strange's disciple, and his lover, to boot, which might help him deal with the fact that things didn't work out with the Christine Palmer of any universe. :D