Senate Border Plan

News and events of the day
gounion

Re: Senate Border Plan

Post by gounion »

Turns out the GOP scheduled the vote when Texas Dem Rep Al Green was having surgery and wouldn't be able to make it.

How professional of them! But Green rushed out of surgery and showed up in a wheelchair to vote.

THAT'S what the GOP calls "winning".

That's fucked up.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

bradman wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:49 pm [chuckle] That's it? Ohhhhhh..K.

Lots a rumors floating around that the GOP has its head up it's ass. Perhaps, the recent humiliating events written off as... "Democracy is messy" .....(Johnson's excuse today)....will fly. Who knows.
The head of the Democrats just figured out the border is a crisis. Where’s his head been the last 3 years? The ONLY reason he’s come out on this was it was tied to Ukraine and Israel and Taiwan and his polling on the border is in the shitter. What’s his excuse other than “it’s not my fault”. Rumor has it.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:45 pm The head of the Democrats just figured out the border is a crisis. Where’s his head been the last 3 years? The ONLY reason he’s come out on this was it was tied to Ukraine and Israel and Taiwan and his polling on the border is in the shitter. What’s his excuse other than “it’s not my fault”. Rumor has it.
Hey Joe, which party demanded border legislation as part of legislation for funding for Israel and Ukraine?

Do you remember? Were you paying attention?
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:13 am Hey Joe, which party demanded border legislation as part of legislation for funding for Israel and Ukraine?

Do you remember? Were you paying attention?
I readily admit that the GOP is having problems advancing an agenda. If you are trying to convince me that the Dems are better at governing then you are failing. The current border crisis is a Democrat problem created from Biden day 1. Sanctuary cities and states are Dem inventions. After 3 years they are just now waking up to the problem.

As for me, I think the border bill needs to work its way thru the normal legislative process under regular order. I think it deserves a vote as a standalone piece of legislation and should be decoupled from the Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan aid packages.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:06 am I readily admit that the GOP is having problems advancing an agenda. If you are trying to convince me that the Dems are better at governing then you are failing. The current border crisis is a Democrat problem created from Biden day 1. Sanctuary cities and states are Dem inventions. After 3 years they are just now waking up to the problem.

As for me, I think the border bill needs to work its way thru the normal legislative process under regular order. I think it deserves a vote as a standalone piece of legislation and should be decoupled from the Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan aid packages.
Well, that’s HILARIOUS, because yesterday the Senate voted to kill the bill with no debate - they are scared of the debate.

Yet you still support them.

What you’re saying is that you prefer the GOP that Donald Trump runs - It’s YOUR side that DEMANDED a border bill along with the funding for Israel and Ukraine - you got your fucking wish, and Donald Trump killed it. This bill was negotiated by James Lankford, a die-hard conservative from Oklahoma who is also a border hawk - and now Trump is trying to destroy him. You don’t have to take MY word for hit, that’s what Lankford himself is saying. He is saying out loud he was told no border bill, because they want the issue for November. It more important to get votes for Trump than it is to fix our nation’s problems.

So you push Trump’s talking points, and pretend he’s not the one calling the shots, when the GOP themselves admit that he is.

Face it - the GOP themselves proved this week that they can’t govern. And you want to hand them the keys to the nation.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:37 am Well, that’s HILARIOUS, because yesterday the Senate voted to kill the bill with no debate - they are scared of the debate.

Yet you still support them.

What you’re saying is that you prefer the GOP that Donald Trump runs - It’s YOUR side that DEMANDED a border bill along with the funding for Israel and Ukraine - you got your fucking wish, and Donald Trump killed it. This bill was negotiated by James Lankford, a die-hard conservative from Oklahoma who is also a border hawk - and now Trump is trying to destroy him. You don’t have to take MY word for hit, that’s what Lankford himself is saying. He is saying out loud he was told no border bill, because they want the issue for November. It more important to get votes for Trump than it is to fix our nation’s problems.

So you push Trump’s talking points, and pretend he’s not the one calling the shots, when the GOP themselves admit that he is.

Face it - the GOP themselves proved this week that they can’t govern. And you want to hand them the keys to the nation.
You should stick to figuring out what you are saying and stop putting words in my mouth. I was pretty clear on what I think should happen. I’m not pushing anyone’s talking points.

Decouple the bills and proceed on the aid packages and proceed on the border bill as separate pieces of legislation. Regular order. Let folks offer amendments and improvements to the border bill and if passed in both houses work thru differences in reconciliation process. I don’t control the house or senate or executive anymore than you.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:48 am You should stick to figuring out what you are saying and stop putting words in my mouth. I was pretty clear on what I think should happen. I’m not pushing anyone’s talking points.

Decouple the bills and proceed on the aid packages and proceed on the border bill as separate pieces of legislation. Regular order. Let folks offer amendments and improvements to the border bill and if passed in both houses work thru differences in reconciliation process. I don’t control the house or senate or executive anymore than you.
You can say that all you want - the GOP has REFUSED any and all debates on a border bill, because Donald Trump ordered them to.

And you support that. You try this double-talk because you are defending the indefensible.

The GOP doesn’t want to fix ANYTHING, and neither do you. You want an issue that you think can put Donald Trump into the White House again. You really don’t give a shit about the border. Because if you did, you’d be complaining about Texas Governor Abbott allowing nearly ten percent of people employed in Texas to be illegals. But you’re silent on that.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:54 am You can say that all you want - the GOP has REFUSED any and all debates on a border bill, because Donald Trump ordered them to.

And you support that. You try this double-talk because you are defending the indefensible.

The GOP doesn’t want to fix ANYTHING, and neither do you. You want an issue that you think can put Donald Trump into the White House again. You really don’t give a shit about the border. Because if you did, you’d be complaining about Texas Governor Abbott allowing nearly ten percent of people employed in Texas to be illegals. But you’re silent on that.
You don’t speak for me. You spend most of your time telling other people what they think than you do on telling us what you think. You just want to argue. Waste of time
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:57 am You don’t speak for me. You spend most of your time telling other people what they think than you do on telling us what you think. You just want to argue. Waste of time
All you want to to attack Biden for political purposes. You don’t actually give a shit about the border. If the GOP won and the border crossings tripled, you’d be silent.

It’s all bullshit.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:25 am All you want to to attack Biden for political purposes. You don’t actually give a shit about the border. If the GOP won and the border crossings tripled, you’d be silent.

It’s all bullshit.
You are welcome to your opinion.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:26 am You are welcome to your opinion.
And you are welcome to continue your bullshit jihad against Biden using all of Trump’s talking points!
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:27 am And you are welcome to continue your bullshit jihad against Biden using all of Trump’s talking points!
Again. You are welcome to your opinion.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:47 am Again. You are welcome to your opinion.
And you give yours - and it’s whatever Trump tells you it is! :lol:
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:47 am And you give yours - and it’s whatever Trump tells you it is! 🤣🤣🤣
You pay more attention to what Trump says than anyone on the board. Much more than any conservative. He’s your obsession. He lives 24/7 in your head.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:49 am You pay more attention to what Trump says than anyone on the board. Much more than any conservative. He’s your obsession. He lives 24/7 in your head.
He owns the entire GOP, and you parrot whatever he says. Your problem, not mine.

You just want to pretend he doesn’t exist. Childish.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:51 am He owns the entire GOP, and you parrot whatever he says. Your problem, not mine.

You just want to pretend he doesn’t exist. Childish.
Oh I know he exists. I just don’t obsess over him like you. You should see a doctor and get that fixed. You are like a kid in Monsters Inc. You see Trump everywhere. It’s all you talk about other than yourself and you are his lesser known twin. His alter ego.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:54 am Oh I know he exists. I just don’t obsess over him like you. You should see a doctor and get that fixed. You are like a kid in Monsters Inc. You see Trump everywhere. It’s all you talk about other than yourself and you are his lesser known twin. His alter ego.
Always with the personal attacks. And for the GOP Trump IS everywhere. It’s the GOP that’s obsessed with him. Whatever he tells them to do, they do. Ask Senator Langford. They are destroying him right now on orders from Trump.

But hey when you can’t face reality, personal attacks are all you have left, right?
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:01 am Always with the personal attacks. And for the GOP Trump IS everywhere. It’s the GOP that’s obsessed with him. Whatever he tells them to do, they do. Ask Senator Langford. They are destroying him right now on orders from Trump.

But hey when you can’t face reality, personal attacks are all you have left, right?
So go chat with someone who belongs to the GOP. I don’t belong to them and certainly don’t control them anymore than I can influence the Dems. I don’t speak for either party.

And anytime you want to swear off personal attacks, I’ll take that Pepsi challenge with you anytime. And if you don’t want to be associated with Trump, stop acting like him.
Last edited by JoeMemphis on Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:13 am So go chat with someone who belongs to the GOP. I don’t belong to them and certainly don’t control them anymore than I can influence the Dems. I don’t speak for either party.
Yes you do, you’re just too gutless to stand for anything? Because you can’t defend your beliefs. The few beliefs you have espoused on the board, like support for abortion and gay rights, are completely opposite of what you vote for, and so you run away from taking stances. You just want to rail against Dems.

And it’s not about their actual actions, because if it was, you’d rail against Texas Governor Abbott for allowing nearly ten percent of the people employed in Texas to be illegals.

But you’re silent. It’s hilarious how gutless you are about standing for actual principles - seems you don’t have any.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:30 am Yes you do, you’re just too gutless to stand for anything? Because you can’t defend your beliefs. The few beliefs you have espoused on the board, like support for abortion and gay rights, are completely opposite of what you vote for, and so you run away from taking stances. You just want to rail against Dems.

And it’s not about their actual actions, because if it was, you’d rail against Texas Governor Abbott for allowing nearly ten percent of the people employed in Texas to be illegals.

But you’re silent. It’s hilarious how gutless you are about standing for actual principles - seems you don’t have any.
Oh I take stances. They just aren’t ones you agree with so you ignore them altogether. You do that with me. You do that with Glenn. Like I said. Speak for yourself. You don’t speak for me. You are the one who doesn’t take stances. You are too busy assigning stances to other people and putting words in their mouth to actually speak for yourself.

As for Abbott, he doesn’t control hiring in private businesses in Texas. Besides, those migrant shouldn’t be in this country illegally in the first place. You would allow them in and then you don’t want them to work? You would have them on Federal Aid programs indefinitely or stealing in local stores or in the streets to survive. This administration had absolutely no plan on how to deal with this crisis from before Biden day one and they still don’t. They have left it to state and local governments to fund this clusterfuck of a border policy. It’s been three years and they are just now acknowledging that it’s a problem. They have been downplaying this from the start.

So if you are trying to convince me that Dems are better at governing then you have failed. They took a problem and turned it into a crisis.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:41 am Oh I take stances. They just aren’t ones you agree with so you ignore them altogether. You do that with me. You do that with Glenn. Like I said. Speak for yourself. You don’t speak for me. You are the one who doesn’t take stances. You are too busy assigning stances to other people and putting words in their mouth to actually speak for yourself.

As for Abbott, he doesn’t control hiring in private businesses in Texas. Besides, those migrant shouldn’t be in this country illegally in the first place. You would allow them in and then you don’t want them to work? You would have them on Federal Aid programs indefinitely or stealing in local stores or in the streets to survive. This administration had absolutely no plan on how to deal with this crisis from before Biden day one and they still don’t. They have left it to state and local governments to fund this clusterfuck of a border policy. It’s been three years and they are just now acknowledging that it’s a problem. They have been downplaying this from the start.

So if you are trying to convince me that Dems are better at governing then you have failed. They took a problem and turned it into a crisis.
Oh? Gee, Governor Ron DeSantis did something about illegals hired in Florida. If Abbott WANTED to, he could. But he likes the cheap labor. As soon as they come across the border, he’ll get them jobs!

You see, you want to hammer any dem, and give all Republicans a pass. Thanks for admitting it.

If you’re so good about taking stances, I just started a thread on the Supreme Court and Trump on the ballot. Perfect opportunity for you to take a stance!

And it’s funny how you complain that I put words into your mouth, you have no problem putting them into mine. You can dish it out but you can’t take it! :lol:
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:47 am Oh? Gee, Governor Ron DeSantis did something about illegals hired in Florida. If Abbott WANTED to, he could. But he likes the cheap labor. As soon as they come across the border, he’ll get them jobs!

You see, you want to hammer any dem, and give all Republicans a pass. Thanks for admitting it.

If you’re so good about taking stances, I just started a thread on the Supreme Court and Trump on the ballot. Perfect opportunity for you to take a stance!

And it’s funny how you complain that I put words into your mouth, you have no problem putting them into mine. You can dish it out but you can’t take it! :lol:
You ignore the point that those migrants should not be here illegally in the first place. If they were here legally they wouldn’t have a problem working in this country.

You also ignore the fact that the Biden administration has left the consequences of this shitty border policy of theirs to state and local governments to figure out. State and local governments are left to fund the housing, medical and educational needs of these migrants.

You talk about taking stances and accountability. Where’s the accountability for this current policy set by this administration and executed under the direction of this President and his handpicked Director of Homeland security?

Again, you can blame this all on the other party if you choose. That dog don’t hunt. People know whose policy this is and they know who caused this shit storm. It matters not what you or I say or post on this little message board. They know. And it’s reflected in the polling data on this policy.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:00 am You ignore the point that those migrants should not be here illegally in the first place. If they were here legally they wouldn’t have a problem working in this country.

You also ignore the fact that the Biden administration has left the consequences of this shitty border policy of theirs to state and local governments to figure out. State and local governments are left to fund the housing, medical and educational needs of these migrants.

You talk about taking stances and accountability. Where’s the accountability for this current policy set by this administration and executed under the direction of this President and his handpicked Director of Homeland security?

Again, you can blame this all on the other party if you choose. That dog don’t hunt. People know whose policy this is and they know who caused this shit storm. It matters not what you or I say or post on this little message board. They know. And it’s reflected in the polling data on this policy.
Again, a state can ensure that illegals can't work in the state. Ron DeSantis did: https://www.flgov.com/2023/05/10/govern ... er-crisis/
Today, Governor Ron DeSantis signed Senate Bill 1718 to combat the dangerous effects of illegal immigration caused by the federal government’s reckless border policies. This legislation makes using E-Verify mandatory for any employer with 25 or more employees, imposes enforceable penalties for those employing illegal aliens, and enhances penalties for human smuggling. Additionally, this bill prohibits local governments from issuing Identification Cards (ID) to illegal aliens, invalidates ID cards issued to illegal aliens in other states, and requires hospitals to collect and submit data on the costs of providing health care to illegal aliens. More on today’s announcement can be found here.
So why does Texas have the highest percentage of illegals employed in the nation, second only to Nevada? Why don't you complain about Abbott happily employing those who make it across the border?

I'll tell you why - because you don't care. It's not about fixing the border, it's about having an issue to get Donald Trump elected in November.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Of course it is. The orders coming down from drumpf to keep the status quo are many and very well documented. Yesterday's House debacle was the latest proof of this analysis. They want paralysis to make the current potus look bad.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:28 am Again, a state can ensure that illegals can't work in the state. Ron DeSantis did: https://www.flgov.com/2023/05/10/govern ... er-crisis/

So why does Texas have the highest percentage of illegals employed in the nation, second only to Nevada? Why don't you complain about Abbott happily employing those who make it across the border?

I'll tell you why - because you don't care. It's not about fixing the border, it's about having an issue to get Donald Trump elected in November.
Trump is not my obsession. He belongs to you or you belong to him. I can’t tell the difference.

I see you ignored my points on accountability for Biden’s Border Policy. Wonder why? Maybe he is not in charge after all?

As I said, I would support the legislation proceeding as a separate bill in regular order in order to prevent further delays in the Ukraine, Israel or Taiwan aid package.