It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:37 pm 
Policy Wonk

That is messed up.

Blanchard: ‘Disney World Denied My Stepfather Entry!’

Tessa Blanchard noted her stepfather, Magnum TA, was turned away at Disney World on Wednesday. She says they would not allow him to bring his Segway in (which he uses to get around following the injuries he suffered in the car wreck that ended his career in the ’80s) to get around on. She posted the following:

http://www.prowrestlingscoops.com/tna/t ... her-entry/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

That is messed up.

Blanchard: ‘Disney World Denied My Stepfather Entry!’

Tessa Blanchard noted her stepfather, Magnum TA, was turned away at Disney World on Wednesday. She says they would not allow him to bring his Segway in (which he uses to get around following the injuries he suffered in the car wreck that ended his career in the ’80s) to get around on. She posted the following:

http://www.prowrestlingscoops.com/tna/t ... her-entry/

She needs to see what Florida law states about "personal mobility devices." In California, "personal mobility devices" can include some Segways, motorized wheelchairs, and similar devices can be used just about anywhere including downtown sidewalks.

The thing I don't understand is if her stepfather is paralyzed, how can he ride the Segway. I took a look at the Segway website and their products require the individual to be in a standing position. Segway does make a two-wheeled, self-balancing wheelchair so if that's the Segway she's talking about then I could see her point. If it's not, then I question her truthfulness about what happened.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Here he is strapped into his Segway.

That looks OK insofar ... .

I have the memory of a painful couple of weeks following having a Segway running up on my calve muscle and it pulled my hamstring a bit. It happened on a crowded sidewalk in downtown San Francisco in the financial district. It was a hit and run. The bastard in a business suit who did it didn't say sorry, he said something about me having stepped in his way.

I was limping around for quite a while, and lost some wages and ... . I'm not fond of those Segways.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

Here he is strapped into his Segway.

That looks OK insofar ... .

Looks like he has somehow attached a seat to the Segway. I checked the Segway website and didn't find any seats in the accessories section. I did a Google search and there are images for a seat attachment so I suppose he had a seat attachment on his Segway. IMO, it doesn't matter if it's a regular Segway or one with a seat attachment, that doesn't make it a wheelchair so I'd have to side with Disney World in not allowing it in their park. If Disney has a policy concerning which types of wheelchairs are allowed and it doesn't violate state/federal law it doesn't bother me. I'd rather not see Segways running about in an amusement park because the pedestrian traffic is too crowded for that type of vehicle to safely be used.

Quote:
I have the memory of a painful couple of weeks following having a Segway running up on my calve muscle and it pulled my hamstring a bit. It happened on a crowded sidewalk in downtown San Francisco in the financial district. It was a hit and run. The bastard in a business suit who did it didn't say sorry, he said something about me having stepped in his way.

I was limping around for quite a while, and lost some wages and ... . I'm not fond of those Segways.

There are too many stupid and selfish people who don't give a rat's ass about others. I see it everyday when I ride my bicycle. Bicyclists blowing through stop signs/red lights, speeding in crowded bike/pedestrian paths, and not announcing when they're passing you. Ninety-nine percent of the time when I'm riding my bike I'll stop at stop sign/red lights. I slow down, under 10 MPH when bike/pedestrian paths have people, and I let other bicyclists/pedestrians I pass know I'm passing them by calling out "Passing on Your Left" so as not to scare them when I pass.

When bicyclists pass me without announcing, I'll sometimes be sarcastic and and say "Thanks for announcing!"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

When I was looking for that photo, I saw photos of him in regular wheel chairs so I know he has one or more of them. And he could have rented one if he got there and didn't have one of his along. It would have delayed his entry but he could have gotten in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

When I was looking for that photo, I saw photos of him in regular wheel chairs so I know he has one or more of them. And he could have rented one if he got there and didn't have one of his along. It would have delayed his entry but he could have gotten in.

Agree.