RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Breitbart News & World Values Network that's all you need to know.

U.S. Rabbi Rips Lorde For 'Anti-Semitic' Israel Concert Boycott In Washington Post Ad

New Zealand Grammy-winning pop star Lorde has been blasted as a “bigot” by a controversial U.S. rabbi for dropping a planned concert in Israel to protest the nation’s treatment of Palestinians.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-rabbi-rips ... 01018.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well, Lorde have mercy. :mrgreen: I guess I'll play Sam and say ... never heard of her. :D

I have my thoughts on BDS ... and on the Israeli government's recent authoritarian steps. But eh what's the point. Not worth it.

Rabbi Shmuey was Michael Jackson's spiritual advisor. All I'll say. I think homey should have given him better advice.

I'll stop there. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:04 pm 
Policy Wonk

Wikipedia's insert in her article:

"Controversy

In December 2017, Lorde cancelled her scheduled June concert in Israel following an online campaign by Palestinian solidarity activists supporting the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign.[124][125][126] This online campaign included an open letter published on The Spinoff online magazine by both the Jewish New Zealander activist Justine Sachs and the Palestinian New Zealander activist Nadia Abu-Shanab urging Lorde to cancel her Israel tour, citing Israel's alleged human rights abuses against Palestinians.[127] Lorde also issued a statement on Twitter, which was taken down days later, thanking her fans for educating her about Israel-Palestine.[128][125]

Lorde's cancellation of her Israeli tour was welcomed by Palestinian activists and supporters including the Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel and the New Zealand Jewish peace group Dayenu; of which Sachs was a founding member.[129][130] By contrast, Lorde's actions were criticised by pro-Israel groups and supporters including Shalom.Kiwi and the actress Roseanne Barr.[131][132] The Israeli Culture and Sports Minister Miri Regev and the Israeli Ambassador to New Zealand Itzhak Gerbeg also issued statements urging Lorde to reconsider her cancellation; with the latter inviting Lorde to meet him.[133][134] American rabbi Shmuley Boteach paid for a full-page ad in the Washington Post, with the headline "Lorde and New Zealand ignore Syria to attack Israel", and called her a "bigot", noting that she will be touring Russia despite Putin's support for the Syrian regime.[135]"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Roseanne Barr.
*sigh*

What a waste it is to waste one's mind, or not to have one at all. She is coming back to TV. Can't find reasons to care.

She's a Trumpist now. She's been pushing "Pizzagate" as real. It gives me the sads. From Green party candidate to hating on liberals.
http://www.tvguide.com/news/roseanne-twitter-feud/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:20 pm 
Policy Wonk

Roseanne Barr.
*sigh*

What a waste it is to waste one's mind, or not to have one at all. She is coming back to TV. Can't find reasons to care.

She's a Trumpist now. She's been pushing "Pizzagate" as real. It gives me the sads. From Green party candidate to hating on liberals.
http://www.tvguide.com/news/roseanne-twitter-feud/

Ugh. Guess she must enjoy being degraded by an orange sociopath.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

Both Rabbi Shmuley and Rosanne have gone way over the bend in the past 8 years. I remember you could actually have a conversation with R. Shmuley.

I wish Lorde would have gone and yet at the same time I see Likud making a big show of voting for an annexation resolution. :problem: It's non-binding but still :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem:

Since the Trump Declaration, I've had to prune a couple of my longtime Zionist friends (all of whom identified as liberals or left) on social media in recent weeks because they too have gone round the bend and have started with flagrant anti-Arab and anti-Palestinian pure hate. I'm not the only one - there is a real shift happening. It was kind of shocking, but true colors/wash, I guess. :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem:

So I can get why Lorde wouldn't want to step into a political snakepit, and yet BDS isn't much of an improvement as far as snakepits go. :problem:

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

I oppose the academic and cultural boycott of Israel for one simple reason... there are countries with far worse human rights records than Israel, and nobody is calling for their academics or cultural figures to be "banned". Both in those countries and in Israel, academics and artists are likely to be the people most likely to be resisting the government's RW policies. Boycotting the settlements, the government itself ... different matters. But the cultural/academic boycott of BDS I view as counterproductive. What is the point of punishing allies? It's just stupid.

Now ... I know a small portion of Israeli academics or artists may be RW, but most are not. Just like here in the U.S.

As far as Jews trusting Trump, well, I know some ... and I'm like "you trust the guy who said he wants Jews counting his money? Who regularly retweets anti-Semites? Fuck who his son-in-law is. That's just a 'my best friends are' load of bull." This thing with Jerusalem is a head fake. He's not even moving the embassy for a bunch of years. Plus I think it's really more for that evangelical base than the Jews.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

I oppose the academic and cultural boycott of Israel for one simple reason... there are countries with far worse human rights records than Israel, and nobody is calling for their academics or cultural figures to be "banned". Both in those countries and in Israel, academics and artists are likely to be the people most likely to be resisting the government's RW policies. Boycotting the settlements, the government itself ... different matters. But the cultural/academic boycott of BDS I view as counterproductive. What is the point of punishing allies? It's just stupid.

Now ... I know a small portion of Israeli academics or artists may be RW, but most are not. Just like here in the U.S.

Yeah I'm against it because of the overfocus on Israel, which to me is very obvious since they're not targeting any of Israel's neighbors....or anyone else, either. I have so many friends who work for the University of California but I don't see any BDSers boycotting Lawrence Livermore Labs. We never, EVER will, either. :problem:

Plus, the very idea of a "cultural boycott" and "intellectual boycott" sounds exactly like the whackodoodle, anti-intellect Evangelicalism I escaped.

Then you get into the fervency of it. :problem: No difference, that I can see. So ridiculous.

Quote:
As far as Jews trusting Trump, well, I know some ... and I'm like "you trust the guy who said he wants Jews counting his money? Who regularly retweets anti-Semites? Fuck who his son-in-law is. That's just a 'my best friends are' load of bull." This thing with Jerusalem is a head fake. He's not even moving the embassy for a bunch of years. Plus I think it's really more for that evangelical base than the Jews.

Yeah that's the argument I got in that ended up with me defriending some folks.....and it takes heaven and earth for me to defriend or unfollow or etc. somebody. Cripes, I'm still friends on social media with my ex., lol. That's how bad the conversations got. But I was like, look, I've actually been a conservative Evangelical Christian Zionist Republican, and this is a big show for DJT's CUFI cult members, not for AIPAC or ZOA, let alone people who actually live in Jerusalem. And then you get ZOA now partying with Steve Bannon, and Dershowitz saying The Forward is worse than Breitbart :problem: . So things are really crazy right now, blah.

Stop calling the cops on us.