RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:41 am 
Board Emeritus

Just saw Black Lightning premiere last night on the CW.

Fascinating. He's an older superhero, actually gave up the tights for 9 years, became a school principal, but is now feeling the need to go back into action because his daughters got kidnapped by a gang. Anyway, it's interesting. The show actually begins with him and one of his girls getting pulled over by a policeman for "DWB" -- there was a robbery in the area involving a Black male, and "they just had to be sure" it wasn't him, even though the car & appearance don't match. Cool thing: Roland Martin actually plays himself in the show, and at one point he asks, as a TV pundit: "Why do people call Black Lightning a vigilante, but they just call white superheroes ... heroes?" BL actually gets into a confrontation with the police toward the beginning of the show. It looks like they are going to take on some ... stuff ... in the show, besides Black Lightning's personal struggles (like fighting crime while being older or getting back with his wife), and I like that.

And, of course, Black Panther is coming to the cinemas. Wakanda is fictional, but it's anything but a shithole. It's supposed to be an African nation but more technologically advanced than any other place on Earth, it's the source of the planet's vibranium, which Captain America's shield is made out of. He had a brief role in Captain America: Civil War (which was pretty crowded with characters, including the new Spider-Man), but now this is his solo film where we get his full backstory.

Looks like there may be a Soul Stone in Wakanda, seems to feature pretty heavily in the Infinity War trailer. Anyway, I often wonder why all the Black superheroes have to have "Black" in their name. I mean, Superman doesn't go around calling himself "White Superman".

Falcon, who is in the Avengers, doesn't call himself "Black Falcon" and that's good. Vixen, who is in Legends of Tomorrow, is supposed to be an African (not African-American) woman. And, of course, Luke Cage ... well, he doesn't even go by Power Man in his Netflix series. And his relationships with white women like Jessica Jones ... odd this would still be controversial today, but it is for the alt-right.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

Fascinating. He's an older superhero, actually gave up the tights for 9 years, became a school principal, but is now feeling the need to go back into action because his daughters got kidnapped by a gang. Anyway, it's interesting. The show actually begins with him and one of his girls getting pulled over by a policeman for "DWB" -- there was a robbery in the area involving a Black male, and "they just had to be sure" it wasn't him, even though the car & appearance don't match. Cool thing: Roland Martin actually plays himself in the show, and at one point he asks, as a TV pundit: "Why do people call Black Lightning a vigilante, but they just call white superheroes ... heroes?" BL actually gets into a confrontation with the police toward the beginning of the show. It looks like they are going to take on some ... stuff ... in the show, besides Black Lightning's personal struggles (like fighting crime while being older or getting back with his wife), and I like that.

And, of course, Black Panther is coming to the cinemas. Wakanda is fictional, but it's anything but a shithole. It's supposed to be an African nation but more technologically advanced than any other place on Earth, it's the source of the planet's vibranium, which Captain America's shield is made out of. He had a brief role in Captain America: Civil War (which was pretty crowded with characters, including the new Spider-Man), but now this is his solo film where we get his full backstory.

Looks like there may be a Soul Stone in Wakanda, seems to feature pretty heavily in the Infinity War trailer. Anyway, I often wonder why all the Black superheroes have to have "Black" in their name. I mean, Superman doesn't go around calling himself "White Superman".

Falcon, who is in the Avengers, doesn't call himself "Black Falcon" and that's good. Vixen, who is in Legends of Tomorrow, is supposed to be an African (not African-American) woman. And, of course, Luke Cage ... well, he doesn't even go by Power Man in his Netflix series. And his relationships with white women like Jessica Jones ... odd this would still be controversial today, but it is for the alt-right.

So the soul stone in Wakanda is how they get away from Adam Warlock in the Infinity War. Eh, ok, i’ll buy it. As for “Black...” in naming superheroes that has always puzzled me. I did like that Luke Cage, Hero for Hire wasn’t described as Black Hero for Hire in the comics. I always thought he was kind of cool.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's a guess on my part. A lot of fans are making the same guess.

We can tell from the trailer for Infinity War Thanos & his minions are invading Wakanda. I doubt it's the vibranium he's after. And since 5 of the 6 Infinity stones have now been located in previous films ...

Most fans think this is the reason.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

January is:

National Bath Safety Month
National Black Diamond Month
National Blood Donor Month
National Braille Literacy Month
National Hobby Month
National Hot Tea Month
National Mentoring Month
National Menudo Month
National Oatmeal Month
National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month
National Slow Cooking Month
National Soup Month
National Sunday Supper Month

And if X says it is Black Superhero Month then it is:

Black Superhero Month

Which might be in some way related to National Black Diamond Month, because Black Diamonds are supposed to be in some way related to the Grand Master of Feng Shui in Hong Kong. They apparently evoke some sort of Shan Shui of sanctuary of peace, patience and harmony.

I didn't understand it. :|

Menudo I understand, it's beef tripe and hominy soup.

I didn't say I like it. :|

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, Sam, they never did much for my digestion, either.

Please note this is no dig on their Latino ethnicity.

Boy bands' "music" just makes me hurl, wherever they come from.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's a guess on my part. A lot of fans are making the same guess.

We can tell from the trailer for Infinity War Thanos & his minions are invading Wakanda. I doubt it's the vibranium he's after. And since 5 of the 6 Infinity stones have now been located in previous films ...

Most fans think this is the reason.

I am so looking forward to Infinity War! And I will be buying Ragnarok.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

My now 19 year old niece had a life size stand up of Zane from One Direction. Urp!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:33 pm 
Policy Wonk

this one looks interesting

Marvel's 'Black Bolt' writer Saladin Ahmed has a new comic, 'Abbott,' set in 1972 Detroit

Quote:
Whether she’s arriving at a crime scene, standing up to her boss or just listening at home to John Coltrane albums, Elena Abbott is cool.

So cool that the fictional newspaper reporter is the title character of a new comic book series set in 1972's “two Detroits: one white, one black” — a place where “the former would rather leave the city than truly share it with the latter.”

A comic tackling sociopolitical-economic issues and featuring a strong woman of color? That immediately makes “Abbott,” which will debut Jan. 24, a standout.

It’s also the first comic book creation of metro Detroit author Saladin Ahmed, who has emerged as one of the more sought-after fantasy/sci-fi/superhero writers on the contemporary pop-culture scene................

.......“Abbott” is relevant not just to Detroit’s history but also to its current struggle to balance the downtown revival with the needs of financially struggling neighborhoods. It also connects to themes like the importance of investigative journalism and the contemporary women's movement.

“Give Abbott a chance. She might be a woman, but I tell you she’s a natural newsman,” her editor barks in the first issue...........

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah. Now, that's a curious example of a superhero whose name is Black, but that's just apparently because of the costume he wears.

Black Bolt isn't phenotypically Black, but he is the king of the Inhumans, and wears a black costume.

He is a mute, because unfortunately, he can't speak ... if he does, his voice can destroy anything in his presence.

That's why although I like most people wasn't very impressed by the Inhumans TV series, I thought his actor did a good enough job, basically going through the series, communicating only with sign language. That's a tough part.

Anyway, that new comic he's doing sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am guessing they include Black in their name for a couple of reasons. First because there are so few Black Superheroes they want the public to make sure they know this Superheroe is different from the rest. Another reason would be that most fans of that genre are unmarried white males living in their mom's basement. So they are attempting to broaden the fan base.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

Another reason would be that most fans of that genre are unmarried white males living in their mom's basement.

Stereotype much? :D

I'll have you know Mom actually lets me spend some time upstairs, too.

Yeah, I kid ... douchebag. ;)

I am also not 400 lbs, nor did I hack the DNC, either.

I stopped reading comics in my teens. I can tell you when I went to see Justice League or Avengers, a lot of the people in the audience were not in the 18-24 demographic, and some looked married, though who knows, could just be boyfriend & girlfriend.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

I stopped reading comics in my teens. I can tell you when I went to see Justice League or Avengers, a lot of the people in the audience were not in the 18-24 demographic, and some looked married, though who knows, could just be boyfriend & girlfriend.

Hey, it was a joke based on truth. For the record I have a son in law who recently wrote a series of Sci Fi comic books.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Making you a superhero among Sci-Fi fans. :rw)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Even the Jackson 5??

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am guessing they include Black in their name for a couple of reasons. First because there are so few Black Superheroes they want the public to make sure they know this Superheroe is different from the rest. Another reason would be that most fans of that genre are unmarried white males living in their mom's basement. So they are attempting to broaden the fan base.

No, it's Black purchasing power and dollar signs in studios' eyes.

Anyone in doubt can look at the news stories about the preseale tickets of Black Panther. I got mine 2 hours after they went on sale and it was nearly sold out...same story across the country.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Plus, one of his daughters is gay. Like, out-gay, not wink-wink-nudge-nudge subtext gay.

Meet TV’s First Black Lesbian Superhero - The Advocate

Quote:
“I'm really honored,” Nafessa Williams says about playing Thunder. “We don't really get to see young, black women opposite each other on TV and film. I'm really proud to play a role for young lesbian women to see themselves [and] to see how loving and supportive the family is. I believe that family of lesbian and gay teenagers need to see that, if they're struggling with accepting their child's sexuality.”

To get herself superhero ready, Williams says she studied one of her own superheroes: 1970s B-movie superstar Pam Grier.

“I went back and studied her and her action films, and I think she's such a bad ass,” Williams, who’s been stunt training for the role since last summer, adds. “[Black Lightning creator] Mara Brock Akil is another hero. I've always admired her… I just think she's so eloquent, and classy, and smart. How she tells stories… and sets them up for black women to look strong and independent on TV, the messages that are within her writing [are incredible].”

Just like in the comic of the same name, released by DC Comics, Thunder has a love interest, Grace Choi, played by Pretty Little Liars’s Chantal Thuy. Like the character in the comics, Choi is bisexual.

Good!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Huh. Well, they did hint that one of the daughters had super powers like her father at the end of the episode. (Did the X-gene go to one daughter and not the other? I guess we'll find out.)

She actually summons red energy and breaks the sink, by accident. Surprises herself. I think his ex-wife knows of his super powers (had to do with why they broke up), but the daughters didn't, yet.

I didn't see that article, but I guess this is where they're going. (BTW, AFAICT, in the 1st episode they didn't reveal she was a lesbian either - yet.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Even the Jackson 5??

Yeah OK. Exception to my rule. "A-b-c ... it's easy as 1-2-3 ... "

I won't get into Michael's strange trip and tragic life after. It's all kind of a very sad arc. Not the only family member who, I think, was scarred by dad's management style.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

Black Panther is Marvel's way back after getting punched in the jaw by DC's Wonder Woman. And I say this as a Marvel person!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Looks like DC may be preferring to put its Black characters on TV.

Now, the interesting thing is, I don't believe Iris West (Barry Allen/The Flash's wife in the TV show) in the comics was Black, but she is on the show.

Her brother, Wally West, obviously is also, and is playing Kid Flash. (Again, Wally wasn't in the comics. But is in the TV show.)

Buzz is he may be coming to Legends of Tomorrow. Now, Legends, incidentally, also made Hawkman and Hawkwoman Black ... which they were not in the comics.

The younger half of Firestorm "Jax" was Black ... and both him and his older co-star Martin Stein (they merge to become Firestorm) (& who they noted at his TV funeral was Jewish) are leaving the show.

The current leader of the Legends, Sarah Lance/White Canary, is also a lesbian. During the recent crossover (it seems Supergirl and the Arrowverse are in different dimensions/Earths), her and Supergirl's sister Alex hooked up.

Oh yeah. Also during the crossover, they teased another series, "The Ray." It seems it's set on a "Man in the High Castle" style alternative Earth where the Nazis won and are still in control in the present. Anyway, "The Ray" which fights their regime is both Jewish and gay. (Obviously doubling the stakes.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Black Panther is Marvel's way back after getting punched in the jaw by DC's Wonder Woman. And I say this as a Marvel person!

Well, yes, but no. Black Panther will help but imo Infinity War will drop kick DC.

Btw, I enjoyed Wonder Woman. I wasn’t over the top impressed but it was much better than many of their other movies. That being said the best DC movies are RED and RED2. Malkovich was hysterical and watching Helen Mirren shooting high powered weaponry was cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

As I've said, I'm a very nonpartisan sci-fi fan. :D

I like some of both the Marvel and the DC characters. My 2c would be Marvel is making better movies, but DC is making better TV shows. Marvel's The Inhumans was awful. Legends of Tomorrow can be a bit campy, but what can I say, throw in time travel and a character from Doctor Who, and I'm hooked. Of course, for obvious reasons, I have been getting into Legion and The Gifted from Marvel, since they are X-Men spinoffs. Legion is really a very unique show, has an awesome style to it, really leaves you wondering whether the protagonist is an Omega level mutant or just crazy (reminds me of Watchmen that way) ... anyway, looking forward to the 2nd season...

I also like both the Star Trek and Star Wars universes. The "fandom rivalry" there is so infamous, Conan O'Brien and Triumph the insult Comic Dog did a sketch on it. But anyway, I like both 'universes' but it really irritates me that Star Trek: Discovery, the new series, is basically locked behind an Internet CBS All Access paywall, and not available through regular cable. I agree that Star Trek is more "hard" sci-fi than Star Wars, which some see as more romantic fantasy with sci-fi trappings. But anyway. I'm not crazy about the new rebooted Trek films, enough of Chris Pine on a motorcycle and other cast members doing extreme sports. :roll:

Trek really appeals to me because there is a certain utopian vision behind Roddenberry's conception that is enticing. I'm a sucker for it. Humanity has some problems in our century (in their fictional timeline), but gets their shit together in the 23rd.

As for Star Wars, well, Joseph Campbell acted as an advisor for the initial films. For a scholar of myth, it's fascinating to watch that unfold. Unlike Trek, we don't really know the actual setting for it. Just, as they always say, "in a galaxy far far away, in a time long long ago".

I would love somebody to do a good Battlestar Galactica film. And I mean, for the big screen, not a made-for-TV movie. (And, of course, in the rebooted universe. The first one was heavy on camp. Plus, the new one's whole "you never know who is a Cylon" vibe.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

As I've said, I'm a very nonpartisan sci-fi fan. :D

I like some of both the Marvel and the DC characters. My 2c would be Marvel is making better movies, but DC is making better TV shows. Marvel's The Inhumans was awful. Legends of Tomorrow can be a bit campy, but what can I say, throw in time travel and a character from Doctor Who, and I'm hooked. Of course, for obvious reasons, I have been getting into Legion and The Gifted from Marvel, since they are X-Men spinoffs. Legion is really a very unique show, has an awesome style to it, really leaves you wondering whether the protagonist is an Omega level mutant or just crazy (reminds me of Watchmen that way) ... anyway, looking forward to the 2nd season...

I also like both the Star Trek and Star Wars universes. The "fandom rivalry" there is so infamous, Conan O'Brien and Triumph the insult Comic Dog did a sketch on it. But anyway, I like both 'universes' but it really irritates me that Star Trek: Discovery, the new series, is basically locked behind an Internet CBS All Access paywall, and not available through regular cable. I agree that Star Trek is more "hard" sci-fi than Star Wars, which some see as more romantic fantasy with sci-fi trappings. But anyway. I'm not crazy about the new rebooted Trek films, enough of Chris Pine on a motorcycle and other cast members doing extreme sports. :roll:

Trek really appeals to me because there is a certain utopian vision behind Roddenberry's conception that is enticing. I'm a sucker for it. Humanity has some problems in our century (in their fictional timeline), but gets their shit together in the 23rd.

As for Star Wars, well, Joseph Campbell acted as an advisor for the initial films. For a scholar of myth, it's fascinating to watch that unfold. Unlike Trek, we don't really know the actual setting for it. Just, as they always say, "in a galaxy far far away, in a time long long ago".

I would love somebody to do a good Battlestar Galactica film. And I mean, for the big screen, not a made-for-TV movie. (And, of course, in the rebooted universe. The first one was heavy on camp. Plus, the new one's whole "you never know who is a Cylon" vibe.)

I dunno. I like Pine as Kirk and Urban is a great McCoy as is Simon Pegg as Scotty. The last movie had an interesting plot but the whole motorcycle thing was schlock.

As for Marvel/DC tv shows I haven’t watched them. Sorry. I’ll take your word.

In an unrelated note, I am waiting for Ready Player One. I only hope it is as good as the book.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh yeah. Me too. My brother told me to read the book, never got around to it, but I will see the movie.

Obviously, watching all the 80s pop culture in the trailer - the 80s video games! (but now rendered in a future augmented reality that kicks Tron's ass) - I'm clearly in their nostalgia-demographic.

Aside from the fact that it appears to be a quasi-morality tale about people living in a dystopian reality and escaping into a VR fantasy, "The Oasis". Nothing to do with the present. ;)

BTW, I agree with you that Urban and Pegg are good in re-creating the classic characters. Chris Pine is a very unlikeable Kirk, although he's growing on the other characters (especially Uhura and Spock), and there are those who'd say he's being true to how the original cast felt about Shatner. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh yeah. Me too. My brother told me to read the book, never got around to it, but I will see the movie.

Obviously, watching all the 80s pop culture in the trailer - the 80s video games! (but now rendered in a future augmented reality that kicks Tron's ass) - I'm clearly in their nostalgia-demographic.

Aside from the fact that it appears to be a quasi-morality tale about people living in a dystopian reality and escaping into a VR fantasy, "The Oasis". Nothing to do with the present. ;)

BTW, I agree with you that Urban and Pegg are good in re-creating the classic characters. Chris Pine is a very unlikeable Kirk, although he's growing on the other characters (especially Uhura and Spock), and there are those who'd say he's being true to how the original cast felt about Shatner. :D

I loved playing Tempest which figures heavily into Ready Player One at least in the book. It had better in the movie or I will be disappointed.

Hadn’t thought about Pine from the Shatner perspective. Could be true, I guess. I have enjoyed some of the scenes with Kirk. “You had napkins/Kleenex (can’t remember which) hanging out of your nose. Yeah, that was a good fight.”