It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:35 pm 
Policy Wonk

A first look at Abbott, Saladin Ahmed's new comic book set in 1970s Detroit

Quote:
........"It's my tribute to a familiar sort of figure in TV and comics and movies of the paranormal investigator," Ahmed says. "It's this character who finds some occult secrets behind the everyday life that others don't get a glimpse of." (Think of shows like The X-Files, Twin Peaks, or, going back to the 1970s, Kolchak: The Night Stalker, which Ahmed says was a particular influence on Abbott.)

"It's just this type that people are interested in, this dogged investigator," Ahmed says. "For me, I wanted to tell a story with that sort of protagonist — but maybe not the type that always seems to be at the center of those stories."

In Abbott's case, that means "a main character who is woman, who is black, who is bisexual," Ahmed says. "She's all of those things in an era where there's a lot of hostility, particularly in the workplace, toward people who are not straight white guys."

Given the ingredients, it might be easy to assume Abbott is a campy blaxploitation sendup. It is not. Ahmed sets the story in 1972, against a grim backdrop of post-1967 racial paranoia. It begins with Abbott investigating a gruesome crime scene involving a decapitated police horse, initially believed to be perpetrated by Black Panther "negro agitators."......

scroll through a preview of the first few pages of Abbott No. 1 @ link

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:46 am 
Board Emeritus

Quote:
"It's just this type that people are interested in, this dogged investigator," Ahmed says. "For me, I wanted to tell a story with that sort of protagonist — but maybe not the type that always seems to be at the center of those stories."

In Abbott's case, that means "a main character who is woman, who is black, who is bisexual," Ahmed says. "She's all of those things in an era where there's a lot of hostility, particularly in the workplace, toward people who are not straight white guys."

Oh. So it's set in 2018?

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:58 am 
Board Emeritus

BTW, Tuesday's BL revealed everything in the Advocate article. She is an out lesbian, both parents know about her girlfriend, they're both OK with it. And, she's having trouble sleeping, so she goes to a pharmacy late at night and sees a robbery. She grabs the robber and throws him halfway across the store.

You go, girl.

BL is still struggling over whether to get back in action. He does because "Lala" (the gang leader) kills a woman who was one of his former students. Looks like "Lala" was working for his old nemesis, "Tobias the Whale" - kind of the "Kingpin" of crime in the area. Tobias is let into the police holding cell area by a policeman at the end, and then kills "Lala" before he can snitch.

Well, we can already start to see why BL might be having problems with the police. Corruption.