RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

For all the fans, like me, the new season of Dr. Who begins on Sunday, Oct 7th at 1:15 pm EST and 10:15 am PST. There will be a 30 minute "Ultimate "Watch Party" before the show begins. Of particular interest is the new Doctor is, for the first time in the show's history, is a woman. Jodie Whittaker is the 13th Doctor in a show that has spanned 55 years not to mention space and relative dimension which I just mentioned so ignore that.

New Doctor, new companions, and new adventures. It will be interesting to see how she portrays the Doctor following Peter Capaldi, Matt Smith, and David Tennant Doctors.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

That has to be the oldest show on TV. It's reincarnated itself more than even the Time Lords.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

It could be the oldest running show, first episode aired in 1963, but it was off the air from 1989 to 2005, if you don't count the made-for-TV one-off movie of 1996, the only time the 8th Doctor (Paul McGann) ever appeared.

The alt-right incel goobergaters are all flustered the Doctor is now a woman. The previous 12 actors were all male. How dare they? :roll:

Like I said, they already showed Timelords could change gender when they regenerate, the Master became "Missy". So, it's part of continuity.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

It could be the oldest running show, first episode aired in 1963, but it was off the air from 1989 to 2005, if you don't count the made-for-TV one-off movie of 1996, the only time the 8th Doctor (Paul McGann) ever appeared.

The alt-right incel goobergaters are all flustered the Doctor is now a woman. The previous 12 actors were all male. How dare they? :roll:

Like I said, they already showed Timelords could change gender when they regenerate, the Master became "Missy". So, it's part of continuity.

With the exception of the 9th Doctor ( Christopher Eccleston ) they all had "long" hair which I think our incel goobergaters would find deplorable. I really don't care what those troglodytes think.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:06 pm 
Policy Wonk

I have never seen an episode of Dr. Who, any of its incarnations.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have never seen an episode of Dr. Who, any of its incarnations.

I started watching the re-launch of Dr. Who in 2005 and I've been hooked ever since. I've enjoy the Doctor being played by Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, and Matt Smith. Not so much with Peter Capaldi but he was more interesting with Jenna Coleman as his companion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

55 years, 36 seasons, 1 movie, and 12 Doctors. Make that 13 Doctors, now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

Never seen it. I guess I could start now and with this season.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

Never seen it. I guess I could start now and with this season.

BBC America has been running [i]13 Days of Dr. Who" starting from the 2005 season. It's not necessary to see the episodes since 2005 but they're worth watching to understand who some of the Doctor's enemies are like the Daleks, the Cybermen, the Sycorax, etc..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:04 am 
Board Emeritus

Although, BTW, they have said they are not necessarily going back to the classic villain-aliens this season. In fact, they hinted you may not even see a Dalek.

Being very tight-lipped about episodes, but it seems another hint is the new Doctor meeting ... Rosa Parks.

I'll be spoiler light on the first episode. But, OK, I'll use the tags, just to be sure.

How did the doctor survive her fall? It's not like a train is a great soft landing for breaking your fall. I guess they just skipped over that. Unfortunately, "Gran" was not quite as hardy at surviving altitude.

It was interesting to see her make her own sonic screwdriver. If only the idiot-boys at reddit/4chan/etc. didn't keep comparing it to a sex toy.

Interesting to have a whole episode without the TARDIS. Apparently it's going in for a redesign, too. I guess she's going to find it in episode #2 ... maybe ... they're obviously teasing that out, you don't see it in the trailer.

The new alien species seemed like a Predator rip-off. Kind of gross it sticks human teeth in its face. Only difference is it captures people and puts them in stasis.

It was interesting the Doctor was going through her usual post-regeneration confusion. Couldn't even remember who she was. Of course, when she did, it made for a great screen moment later on.

Looks like without meaning to, she teleported not just herself but the 3 companions into the middle of space. Another cliffhanger.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Although, BTW, they have said they are not necessarily going back to the classic villain-aliens this season. In fact, they hinted you may not even see a Dalek.

Being very tight-lipped about episodes, but it seems another hint is the new Doctor meeting ... Rosa Parks.

I'll be spoiler light on the first episode. But, OK, I'll use the tags, just to be sure.

I enjoyed Jodie Whittaker's character. A bit of the 10th Doctor (David Tennant) in the quick pace and action and the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith) in the comedy both combined into one character. She's going to be fun to watch.

I've added a couple of comment in your Spoiler section.

How did the doctor survive her fall? It's not like a train is a great soft landing for breaking your fall. I guess they just skipped over that. Unfortunately, "Gran" was not quite as hardy at surviving altitude.
She was in the first 15 hours of her regeneration cycle (reference the introduction of the 10th Doctor) so she was still in a continuous state of regeneration. As for Gran, she's human. If she had been a Time Lord, like the Doctor, she would have survived.

It was interesting to see her make her own sonic screwdriver. If only the idiot-boys at reddit/4chan/etc. didn't keep comparing it to a sex toy.
That was a first for the series. However, how did she program it? In the special episode of The Day of the Doctor when there were three Doctors in the "locked" room they referenced the Sonic Screwdriver's program was running for 400 years calculating how many children died on Gallifrey when the Doctor destroyed it.

Interesting to have a whole episode without the TARDIS. Apparently it's going in for a redesign, too. I guess she's going to find it in episode #2 ... maybe ... they're obviously teasing that out, you don't see it in the trailer.
The TARDIS exploded in the last episode of the 12th Doctor. But the TARDIS has a life of its own so it too, probably, can regenerate itself just like the Doctor does and it has a homing beacon to allow the Doctor to find it.

The new alien species seemed like a Predator rip-off. Kind of gross it sticks human teeth in its face. Only difference is it captures people and puts them in stasis.
I thought that too.

It was interesting the Doctor was going through her usual post-regeneration confusion. Couldn't even remember who she was. Of course, when she did, it made for a great screen moment later on.
That seems to be a running theme through the series; the Doctor trying to figure out what kind of person the Doctor is after regeneration.

Looks like without meaning to, she teleported not just herself but the 3 companions into the middle of space. Another cliffhanger.
I think this is a carryover of the mistakes communally made by the 11th Doctor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

TARDIS? time travel phone booth?

She looked in her pocket for something that was missing?

Watched first hour of new one, never watched before. I like her. I dont understand, is she an alien, is the DR. from another planet?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

TARDIS? time travel phone booth?

She looked in her pocket for something that was missing?

Watched first hour of new one, never watched before. I like her. I dont understand, is she an alien, is the DR. from another planet?

The Doctor is a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey and is responsible for the destruction of Gallifrey and the Dalek Empire, a burden the Doctor has carried ever since. She is over 900 year old which is why the Doctor keeps regenerating. The Doctor travels in the TARDIS (Time and Relative Dimension in Space) disguised as a London Police Phone box. The Doctor travels, usually, with a human companion(s) on adventures through time and space. The Doctor loves the Earth and its inhabitants and has made himself/herself the protectorate of the planet from all aliens. The Doctor uses the Sonic Screwdriver to open doors, run scans of people/objects, and other amazing things but the one thing it can't do it work on wood. The Doctor and his/her companions can understand all languages because the TARDIS matrix tunes into their minds and does the translation automatically.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Quote:
For an interplanetary time traveler the Dr. sure has a thing for modern day London

I think I heard this on Big Bang Theory, good joke.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think I heard this on Big Bang Theory, good joke.

Everyone knows in the 60s England Swings and since Dr. Who began in 1963 now you can see why he has a thing for London.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

The weird thing is, the TARDIS is camouflaged as something you could have found in 1963 London (a blue police box), but is today in 2018 London an anachronism which you can't find anymore.

It can travel anywhere in time and space. And, of course, as a running joke on the show since the beginning, it is much larger on the inside (with dozens of rooms) than the outside. Timelord technology.

BTW, the Doctor is not supposed to be able to change the past, his own, or the timeline as history knows it. So, oddly, there seems to have been an event before his reappearance in 2005 when, while fighting the Daleks, he is supposed to have destroyed his home planet, called the Time War. That supposedly made him and his adversary The Master the last surviving Timelords.

Well ... somehow, in Day of the Doctor, all his/her 13 (12?) incarnations teamed up and changed that past. Now Gallifrey isn't destroyed. It's in some kind of pocket dimension and/or 4 billion years in the future. (Depends on the episode). Anyway, it's been shifted out of the normal universe, but now exists again.

He has a Gallifreyan name, but his/her real name seems to be a secret. Only River Song, his at one point wife (it's complicated), seems to have known it. So he just calls himself "The Doctor". The name of the show comes from the fact that a lot of people ask him/her that when they meet her ... "Doctor ... Who?"

There is some reason she won't reveal her real name ... as it was put in one episode, "it's the oldest question in the universe ... the first question ... the secret you've been running from all your life ... Doctor ... Who?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Everyone knows in the 60s England Swings and since Dr. Who began in 1963 now you can see why he has a thing for London.

The joke is it is cheaper, easier production to have most stuff go on in modern day London instead of having to create elaborate sets or expensive location shootings.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:21 am 
Board Emeritus

There haven't been police boxes in London in my time. The only one I've ever seen is on the TV show. It's a joke with me to find other odd things in that fine city, and say, "Look, there's Doctor Who's new tardis."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:47 am 
Board Emeritus

There haven't been police boxes in London in my time. The only one I've ever seen is on the TV show. It's a joke with me to find other odd things in that fine city, and say, "Look, there's Doctor Who's new tardis."

Halfway thru and forgot to go back, will try and remember to later.

Lodge 49 and Better Call Saul on AMC get my attention on Monday's

Speaking of which, I am disappointed in BCS.