Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:06 am 
Board Emeritus

WHY was a bad guy on Dr Who trying to stop Rosa from sitting on the bus,

What was the point of this episode as in was that an enemy that is known to Dr Who?

Last edited by Libertas on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:22 am 
Board Emeritus

The first Dr. Who episodes are shoestring and then some. B/W, and mostly the same 3 or 4 jeeps hurtling around in search of ETs. The first Dalleks looked like inverted trash cans, and probably were. The most you ever saw together was three, since (I suppose) they only made that many. I did better stop-frame animation in film school.

For a long time, it was a serial, which explains the weird plot arches which don't follow the usual three-act form. They get captured, they get away, they get captured, they get away, they get captured, something happens, fade out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

WHY was a bad guy on Dr Who trying to stop Rosa from sitting on the bus,

What was the point of this episode as in was that an enemy that is known to Dr Who?

Yeah, so I'm all for the new Jodi Doctor, but I would take the series writers to task for this. They are not very good for writing motivations for their villains. You don't really quite understand what they're up to. Now it's possible with this new alien race The Stenza that's deliberate, so they can be shrouded in some mystery.

They have said they are not going to re-use the classic villain races, including the Daleks. What are they? Like Zowie said, if you see the ones from the first seasons, they look like some joke from the prop department. They're basically roving trash cans with a plunger for an arm and a bizarre single eyestalk. They don't so much look threatening as cheap to assemble.

I bet you know their signature catchphrase, though. I mean it's all over sci-fi. "EXTERMINATE!" Yeah, they want to wipe out all other species other than themselves. The Doctor doesn't really believe in guns and blasters, but when they started the Time War against his own people, when he became the War Doctor, he kinda relished blowing them away.

So, I'm gonna answer you in a spoiler box.

He's not anybody the Doctor's met before, he seems to be a human from the 29th century (I think that's what he said), and he was in prison the same place River Song was - "Stormcage" - btw you have no idea who River Song is if you haven't seen previous seasons. :D He used some cheap time travel device, a vortex manipulator, to go back to the 1950s. He wasn't a very good villain, he was just some bigot from the future in a leather jacket and a pretty shitty plan to change history, which if he had watched other episodes, he should know you can't do anyway. :D

As for his motivations, it seemed like a quick and poorly edited scene, but anyway, he explained it; he obviously was a 29th century bigot and felt if he stopped Rosa Parks from her famous stand, he would change history and I guess expected Jim Crow to last another 8 centuries. :roll: Whatever, he was pretty stupid, and it was sort of a weird episode in that he did all these weak sauce things to stop her ride from happening, and the Doctor and her companions didn't even have to do much to stop him. I guess it helps that one of her companions is a British bus driver.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, so I'm all for the new Jodi Doctor, but I would take the series writers to task for this. They are not very good for writing motivations for their villains. You don't really quite understand what they're up to. Now it's possible with this new alien race The Stenza that's deliberate, so they can be shrouded in some mystery.

They have said they are not going to re-use the classic villain races, including the Daleks. What are they? Like Zowie said, if you see the ones from the first seasons, they look like some joke from the prop department. They're basically roving trash cans with a plunger for an arm and a bizarre single eyestalk. They don't so much look threatening as cheap to assemble.

I bet you know their signature catchphrase, though. I mean it's all over sci-fi. "EXTERMINATE!" Yeah, they want to wipe out all other species other than themselves. The Doctor doesn't really believe in guns and blasters, but when they started the Time War against his own people, when he became the War Doctor, he kinda relished blowing them away.

He's not anybody the Doctor's met before, he seems to be a human from the 29th century (I think that's what he said), and he was in prison the same place River Song was - "Stormcage" - btw you have no idea who River Song is if you haven't seen previous seasons. :D He used some cheap time travel device, a vortex manipulator, to go back to the 1950s. He wasn't a very good villain, he was just some bigot from the future in a leather jacket and a pretty shitty plan to change history, which if he had watched other episodes, he should know you can't do anyway. :D

As for his motivations, it seemed like a quick and poorly edited scene, but anyway, he explained it; he obviously was a 29th century bigot and felt if he stopped Rosa Parks from her famous stand, he would change history and I guess expected Jim Crow to last another 8 centuries. :roll: Whatever, he was pretty stupid, and it was sort of a weird episode in that he did all these weak sauce things to stop her ride from happening, and the Doctor and her companions didn't even have to do much to stop him. I guess it helps that one of her companions is a British bus driver.

I must have nodded during that explanation.

I can see how I would have liked both Tennant and Smith

I thought Capaldi was a Dr. too - ok he was, the page I am on only goes to 11

I want to see Capaldi more than anybody probably.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

All I know is Amy Pond (Karen Gillen) can do whatever she wants with me. I'll leave it at that. She is a cutie. :D
However, fate wound up with her daughter River marrying the Doctor, instead. Although River is now older than Amy ... timey-wimey nonsense. :D

I liked Clara Oswald but after they dispelled her mystery as the Impossible Girl she became less interesting. Amy is still my favorite over her.

Her departure from the Doctor's time-stream is so typically sad and heartbreaking for the series.

The weird thing about Capaldi is he reversed the trend of the Doctor's regenerations getting younger. I thought he was good in the role, but yeah I might lean more toward Matt Smith.

Jodi I find really preserves a lot the quirky geekiness of the Doctor from previous incarnations, but she's just a geeky, eccentric female.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Regarding the current era (2005 -2018) of Dr. Who, the Doctor's anguish has been for hundreds of years of destroying his home planet of Gallifrey and the Dalek home-world. In the special episode of The Day of the Doctor in which three Doctors met, the first Doctor (John Hurt) is going to set off a bomb, called The Moment, to destroy Gallifrey and the Daleks, who surrounded Gallifrey, and he's wrestling with his conscious as whether to do it or not. His conscious, which is really the bomb communicating with him, is in the form of Rose Tyler who would be one of the Doctor's future companions. During the episode, the first Doctor asked the other two Doctors (David Tennant and Matt Smith) how many children died that day on Gallifrey. The three of them then figured out together they didn't need to use The Moment and instead went back in time and froze Gallifrey in a moment of time and put it in a pocket of space causing the Daleks to destroy each other in their crossfire and making it appear both sides annihilated each other.

One of the themes throughout the series is that certain events are fixed points in time that cannot be changed. In this case, the Doctors did change history by not destroying Gallifrey thereby eliminating the Doctor's anguish because Gallifrey was never destroyed. The Doctor doesn't like weapons because in another timeline he did use a weapon and he regretted it forever.

how many children died that day on Gallifry.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

A kinship there is with sci fi like this, also with rocknroll.

For instance today Nugent is crying about not being in hall of fame.

https://twitter.com/thedavidcrosby

Crosby is calling him out as a piece of shit, which he is. I chimed in.

You cant be a decent rocknroller or sci fi fan and also be fan of filth like rump.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

All I know is Amy Pond (Karen Gillen) can do whatever she wants with me. I'll leave it at that. She is a cutie. :D
However, fate wound up with her daughter River marrying the Doctor, instead. Although River is now older than Amy ... timey-wimey nonsense. :D

I liked Clara Oswald but after they dispelled her mystery as the Impossible Girl she became less interesting. Amy is still my favorite over her.

Her departure from the Doctor's time-stream is so typically sad and heartbreaking for the series.

The weird thing about Capaldi is he reversed the trend of the Doctor's regenerations getting younger. I thought he was good in the role, but yeah I might lean more toward Matt Smith.

Jodi I find really preserves a lot the quirky geekiness of the Doctor from previous incarnations, but she's just a geeky, eccentric female.

Amy Pond is a strong female character who is in love with the Doctor but is torn between Rory and the Doctor. Amy also loves the fun and adventures of traveling in time and space.

Clara fascinates the Doctor and she too is a strong female character who can hold her own against the Doctor. Clara likes to lead her own life outside the Doctor's but she enjoys the travel and mysteries o the places he takes her.

Here's the list of the Doctor's female companions I like the best:
Clara Oswald
Amy Pond
Martha Jones
Rose Tyler
Donna Young

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

One of the themes throughout the series is that certain events are fixed points in time that cannot be changed. In this case, the Doctors did change history by not destroying Gallifrey thereby eliminating the Doctor's anguish because Gallifrey was never destroyed. The Doctor doesn't like weapons because in another timeline he did use a weapon and he regretted it forever.

So, oddly, though now he changed history (which was a fixed moment so it should be impossible) so he never destroyed Gallifrey as the War Doctor, somehow he still remembers doing it.

Hence this quite really excellent speech by Capaldi - this is a fan fave. He still remembers the original outcome of the Time War. So he's trying to talk the Zygons out of war.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Yes, it's interesting. Matt mentions that the War Doctor (John Hurt) is the one incarnation he and all other incarnations want to forget. Even if now he never did what he originally did, which is destroy Gallifrey in the process of trying (and failing) to wipe out the Daleks.

John Hurt's War Doctor was a "forgotten" one somehow between the TV-movie one and Eccleston.

BTW, though, the Classic era Doctor never used guns or blasters ever, either. Like Jodi said, from day one, even William Hartnell preferred brains to brawn.

Anyway, there's another great episode where he admits, deep down, he still would wipe every Dalek from existence, if he could, and another thing he supposedly abhors is genocide.

Last edited by ProfessorX on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Amy Pond is a strong female character who is in love with the Doctor but is torn between Rory and the Doctor.

Which is why, in an ironic way, he winds up marrying their daughter, Melody Pond/River Song (got to see the reveal episode on this; won't spoil it) ... and they have their strange, if backwards-to-forwards-in-time, romance. Honestly, River is a better match for him as in a way she's even become part-Timelord and regenerates. (BTW, this leads Rory to think he's not the father, but it's actually because Amy traveling in time while pregnant that created the situation).

Of course, oddly, he met her before he met them ... complicated, spoilers, timey-wimey ...