RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:12 pm 
Policy Wonk

(CNN)Actress Penny Marshall, who found fame in TV's "Laverne & Shirley" before going on to direct such beloved films as "Big" and "A League of Their Own," has died. She was 75.

Marshall died peacefully in her Hollywood Hills home on Monday night due to complications from diabetes, said Michelle Bega, a spokeswoman for the family.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/18/entertai ... index.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

[from Wiki]
At the start of each episode, Laverne and Shirley are skipping down a Milwaukee street, arm in arm, reciting a Yiddish-American hopscotch chant: "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Schlemiel! Schlimazel! Hasenpfeffer Incorporated," which then leads into the series' theme song, "Making Our Dreams Come True" performed by Cyndi Grecco. The hopscotch chant is from Penny Marshall's childhood.

[snip][end]

Schlimazel also Schlemazl: A chronically unlucky person (שלימזל shlimazl, from Middle Dutch slimp 'crooked, bad'—akin to Middle High German slimp 'awry', or schlimm 'poor or lacking'—and Hebrew מזל mazzāl 'luck', cf. German Schlamassel) (M-W;OED). The difference between a schlemiel and a schlimazel is described through the aphorism, "The schlemiel spills his soup on the schlimazel."[10] In June 2004, Yiddish schlimazel was one of the ten non-English words that were voted hardest to translate by a British translation company.[11] The word is widely recognized from its inclusion in the Yiddish-American hopscotch chant from the opening sequence of the American sitcom Laverne & Shirley.

[snip][end]

RIP Penny.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

OMG

RIP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:14 pm 

May Penny Marshall rest in peace and may her memory be for a blessing. She brought laughter and delight to millions. She paved the way for many women in Hollywood who are now directors. She leaves behind a great legacy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

May Penny Marshall rest in peace and may her memory be for a blessing. She brought laughter and delight to millions. She paved the way for many women in Hollywood who are now directors. She leaves behind a great legacy.

That... :arrow:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

Amazing actress may she RIP.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:21 pm 
Policy Wonk

...and she really shined even more as a director and producer. "Big" remains my favorite Tom Hanks film. And..."A League of Their Own," also great.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:10 am 
Policy Wonk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:32 am 
Board Emeritus

[from Wiki]
At the start of each episode, Laverne and Shirley are skipping down a Milwaukee street, arm in arm, reciting a Yiddish-American hopscotch chant: "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Schlemiel! Schlimazel! Hasenpfeffer Incorporated," which then leads into the series' theme song, "Making Our Dreams Come True" performed by Cyndi Grecco. The hopscotch chant is from Penny Marshall's childhood.

[snip][end]

Schlimazel also Schlemazl: A chronically unlucky person (שלימזל shlimazl, from Middle Dutch slimp 'crooked, bad'—akin to Middle High German slimp 'awry', or schlimm 'poor or lacking'—and Hebrew מזל mazzāl 'luck', cf. German Schlamassel) (M-W;OED). The difference between a schlemiel and a schlimazel is described through the aphorism, "The schlemiel spills his soup on the schlimazel."[10] In June 2004, Yiddish schlimazel was one of the ten non-English words that were voted hardest to translate by a British translation company.[11] The word is widely recognized from its inclusion in the Yiddish-American hopscotch chant from the opening sequence of the American sitcom Laverne & Shirley.

[snip][end]

RIP Penny.

She was an excellent director. RIP.

Btw, thanks for the Yiddish lesson. I recall from somewhere that a schlemiel was a guy who fell and hit the back of his head resulting in his nose getting bruised.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:05 pm 
Policy Wonk

RIP Penny. Not a big fan of L&S, but her other works were very enjoyable.

I guess this shows the world I occupy. I thought the explaination below was well known, and assumed everyone knew what those words meant. It shows what a dray-cup I am. :D

BTW, Penny and her brother Garry were not Jewish. Though she was from New York did have a relationship with Art Garfunkel and had been married to Rob Reiner. (honorary? maybe)

ProfessorX » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:56 pm wrote:
[from Wiki]

[snip][end]

[snip][end]

RIP Penny.

She was an excellent director. RIP.

Btw, thanks for the Yiddish lesson. I recall from somewhere that a schlemiel was a guy who fell and hit the back of his head resulting in his nose getting bruised.

Last edited by Viewer on Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

Remember reading about how she and her costar Cindy Williams were difficult to work with on the set.

In retrospect what this was really saying, probably, was they were Women, strong Women, wanting their way because they knew better than most others on the show how to make it good. She went on to become a great director, so that was what it was about I bet.

I never liked the show but I like almost everything else she did.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

Viewer wrote:
BTW, Penny and her brother Garry were not Jewish. Though she was from New York did have a relationship with Art Garfunkel and had been married to Rob Reiner. (honorary? maybe)

Neither were either of the characters on the show supposed to be, either. Laverne deFazio was of course supposed to be Italian-American.

That's why I think it's interesting every episode begins with that Yiddish hopscotch chant ... Penny Marshall said she heard it in her childhood, which I imagine being from NY involved growing up around Jewish kids.

Last edited by ProfessorX on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Neither were either of the characters on the show supposed to be, either. Laverne deFazio was of course supposed to be Italian-American.

That's why I think it's interesting every episode begins with that Yiddish hopscotch chant ... Penny Marshall said she heard it in her childhood, which I imagine being from NY involved growing up around Jewish kids.

What's more interesting is they singing that Yiddish hopscotch chant in Milwaukee, where the show was set, I don't think Milwaukee had a Jewish population proportional to that of New York. Doesn't matter, the opening was memorable and iconic to the show.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:51 pm 
Policy Wonk

She made some good movies

RIP