Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Disgraceful.

‘Empire’ star Jussie Smollett brutally attacked by anti-gay Trump supporters who put noose around his neck

One of the stars of television show “Empire” was reportedly beaten by two men who yelled “This is MAGA country,” reports TMZ.

They then put a noose around his neck.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/empire ... ifications

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

No followups on this?

The Racist, Homophobic Attack on Jussie Smollett Is Far-Right America's Endgame - GQ

Quote:
Early Tuesday morning, Jussie Smollett, the 36-year-old star of Fox's Empire, left a Chicago restaurant and was reportedly accosted by two men who proceeded to shout racial and homophobic slurs before beating him, pouring an unknown chemical substance on him, and wrapping a rope around his neck before fleeing the scene. According to a statement issued by Chicago police, the incident is being investigated as a "possible hate crime."

The cautious wording is one last wound inflicted on Smollett's battered body, a careful hedging of bets that don't need hedging—a crime scene involving a corpse is not discussed as a "possible death." But the stodgy apparatus of law enforcement isn't particularly interested in acknowledging social ills—and neither is the news media when it goose-steps around the truth of the matter with shallow euphemisms like "racially charged" used to describe open, proud bigotry.

Whiteness in 21st century America has an endgame, and it is this: to divest itself from the shame of its power, while working to revive the fear it needs in which to thrive. And there is work being done, work done by panels of respectable-seeming men and women on cable news networks dismissing the red MAGA hat as innocuous, work done by politicians who continue to openly lie about the danger immigrants pose to Americans while choosing to ignore that almost all violent extremist crime is committed by right-wing terrorists, by the refusal to acknowledge that bigotry is alive and well, perpetrated by racists and homophobes targeting people like Smollett, criminals who have no qualms in sharing what motivates them. Hate needs to sign its work. That's how hate persists.

The assault of Jussie Smollett is not an isolated incident. Americans who do not fit the white, straight, male, or Christian mold of the ruling class are being targeted with concerning regularity, in synagogues and churches and nightclubs. The perpetrators are not all white, but they are cultivated in a culture built to reward the narrow slice of Americans that have lives that mirror those of the powerful and largely disregard the misfortune of those who do not.

At this late stage, the message is clearer than it has ever been. Jussie Smollett is a successful actor on a popular television series, one of the most famous black and gay men in America, and even he is not safe. A rope was put around his neck because he dared to be a person who did not hide who he was. You don't put a rope on a person of color in America unless you're interested in sending messages—one to the people you hate, and another to those you think will agree with you.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Of course, the first thing dumb conservative whites started screaming all over Twitter was that he was hoaxing. As if they don't already have a history of lynching everyone they come across. :problem:

Yesterday: Jussie Smollett attack: Surveillance video shows potential persons of interest in attack, Chicago police say - ABC 7

Quote:
Surveillance video captured potential persons of interest in the attack on "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett in the Streeterville neighborhood, Chicago police said Wednesday afternoon.

Chicago police released the photos late Wednesday. The photos show two silhouettes on New Street near Illinois between 1:30 a.m. and 1:45 a.m. Tuesday.

At about 2 a.m. Tuesday, Smollett, 36, reported he was walking alone in the 300-block of East North Water Street when two people he didn't know started yelling racial and homophobic slurs at him, police said. He told Chicago police that the attackers yelled "MAGA country," according to CPD spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi.

Police are investigating the incident as a possible hate crime.

White conservatism is domestic terrorism. Always was. Let's hope whoever did this is brought to justice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

New details emerge in Jussie Smollett attack: Video shows actor wearing 'rope like a neck tie,' police say - ABC News

Quote:
New details are emerging in the alleged attack and possible hate crime against "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett.

A dozen detectives are pursuing new leads and have tracked the actor's movements that night through video and photos, Chicago Police tell ABC News.

They say video shows Smollett walking across the street from two possible persons of interest, whose photos were released late Wednesday to the public. In the video, Smollett walks out of frame for about a minute and reappears on another camera "wearing a rope like a neck tie," police said.

(MORE: Police spot potential 'persons of interest' in attack on Jussie Smollett after surveillance video found)

Police are still hoping to speak to the two men seen in the video about the alleged attack.

Good. Glad to hear it.

Quote:
Brandon Z. Moore, Smollett's music manager, told ABC News he was on the phone with the actor when he heard part of the alleged attack. He also heard the words "MAGA country," presumably from the alleged attackers, he added.

"I heard that clearly," he told ABC News. "I heard the scuffle and I heard the racial slur."

Police confirmed they have spoken to Moore and his account is noted in the police report. Moore and Smollett both said they were on the phone with each other at the time of the attack, police added.

So many MAGA terrorists. Where were they radicalized?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Empire Added Security to Set Over Jussie Smollett Hate Mail Reportedly Sent to Fox Studios

Security on Fox’s Empire set was beefed up prior to the violent attack on star Jussie Smollett.

The network confirms to PEOPLE that extra security was added after Fox Studios’ Chicago offices allegedly received a threatening homophobic letter addressed to the 35-year-old actor, who is gay, last week. TMZ first reported the news.

https://people.com/tv/empire-extra-secu ... stigation/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

Generally people who hoax don't put themselves in the hospital to make it look good.

The perps were obviously after this guy. They knew his name and what show he was on. They might have stalked him. Find out which right wing group has been bitching about him on the Internet, and there's the place to start looking.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Generally people who hoax don't put themselves in the hospital to make it look good.

The perps were obviously after this guy. They knew his name and what show he was on. They might have stalked him. Find out which right wing group has been bitching about him on the Internet, and there's the place to start looking.

Yes and that can be a LOT of people.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

New details emerge in Jussie Smollett attack: Video shows actor wearing 'rope like a neck tie,' police say - ABC News

Good. Glad to hear it.

So many MAGA terrorists. Where were they radicalized?

In America, our schools, everywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:18 am 
Board Emeritus

Jussie Smollett Breaks His Silence After Vicious Attack: 'I'm OK' - Essence

Quote:
In his statement, Smollett also addressed the misinformation that has been circulating about the incident, and dispelling rumors on social media that his story changed.

Smollett said, “I am working with authorities and have been 100% factual and consistent on every level. Despite my frustrations and deep concern with certain inaccuracies and misrepresentations that have been spread, I still believe that justice will be served. ”

“As my family stated, these types of cowardly attacks are happening to my sisters, brothers and non-gender conforming siblings daily. I am not and should not be looked upon as an isolated incident. We will talk soon and I will address all details of this horrific incident, but I need a moment to process,” he concluded. “Most importantly, during times of trauma, grief and pain, there is still a responsibility to lead with love. It’s all I know. And that can’t be kicked out of me.”

Smollett signed his statement by writing, “With Love, respect & honor…Jussie.”

Social conservatism kills.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:45 pm 
Political Junkie

Wow......has this one taken a turn sideways.

What on earth would possess someone to fake a hate crime?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

That is, if it was faked. Another question might be, who would do up a fake hate crime for $4000 and a round-trip ticked to Nigeria.

He's being re-questioned, as he should be in a case like this. I do wonder, though, if the brothers were in on it why they were released.

Quote:

Every time one happens, we're accused of faking it by cons. So I'm taking this to be more of a statement than a question.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

The latest, I believe first reported by CNN:

Police sources: New evidence suggests Jussie Smollett orchestrated attack

Quote:
Two law enforcement sources with knowledge of the investigation tell CNN that Chicago Police believe actor Jussie Smollet paid two men to orchestrate an assault on him that he reported late last month.

The men, who are brothers, were arrested Wednesday but released without charges Friday after Chicago police cited the discovery of "new evidence."

The sources told CNN the two men are now cooperating fully with law enforcement.

Smollett told authorities he was attacked early January 29 by two men who were "yelling out racial and homophobic slurs." He said one attacker put a rope around his neck and poured an unknown chemical substance on him.

The sources told CNN there are records that show the two brothers purchased the rope found around Smollett's neck at an Ace Hardware store in Chicago.

CNN's attempts Saturday to reach both Smollett's representative and attorney were unsuccessful.

So as the Jussie Truthers rejoice tonight with their "I told you so's," the investigation is still ongoing. By one of the most flagrantly, notoriously-corrupt PDs in the country. But still.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:38 am 
Board Emeritus

IF he did stage this attack ... which, I'm sorry to say, it looks increasingly as evidence is pointing this way - he's destroyed his own career (and might get some jail time for filing a false police report/charges) ... and unfortunately, even worse, primed the MAGATs to be even more likely to disregard the next attack as "fake".

I don't even understand why ... to save his job on Empire? To get media attention?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:31 am 
Board Emeritus

To get hip hop.

:|

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:26 am 
Political Junkie

Racist, anti-religious or homophobic attacks are awful, but faking them is right up there in moral terms. You are creating terror and hate. It's comforting to know that there is a shortage of actual Nazis, racists, and homophobes, and apparently a real need to create them from whole cloth. You can ignore this, but doing so absolutely dilutes your "outrage" to absolute meaninglessness.

Last edited by aragorn on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:58 am 
Board Emeritus

Ignore what, exactly?

One fake incident doesn't negate the collected data on other real incidents.

I don't know what motivated Mr. Smollett, but it doesn't change the reality or prevalence of other things that happened or will happen.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:13 pm 
Political Junkie

Ignore what, exactly?

I don't know what motivated Mr. Smollett, but it doesn't change the reality or prevalence of other things that happened or will happen.
If only there were a smattering of these incidents. Unfortunately, it's pretty widespread. Seems like a form of mental illness to me.

Faked Hate Crimes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

You know, I'm wondering if that web site was definitely trying to win one of those awards for least readable web design.

May not be the only issue with it, mind.

https://www.splcenter.org/20180415/hate ... -reporting

Though hate crime reports that turn out to be hoaxes often generate sensational headlines, the phenomenon is relatively rare. The FBI estimates that between 2% and 8% of hate crime reports are hoaxes – a tiny number in comparison with the many thousands that the federal government says go unreported (see above).

“We do routinely see a very small number of hate crime hoaxes, but we also see hoaxes with respect to arson and auto theft and even reports of sexual assault, yet we don’t say the overwhelming number of reports of those crimes are hoaxes, either,” Brian Levin, director of the Center on Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino, told Fox News.

Even researchers dedicated to documenting hate crime hoaxes have found relatively few. One website, fakehatecrimes.org, has tallied fewer than 350 since the late 1980s. It should be noted that this site claims to continue the work of writer Laird Wilcox, whose unpublished manuscript Crying Wolf on the site claims, “Today discrimination in schools, housing, jobs, and government is minimal. Institutional racism is virtually gone. In its place, a series of preferential policies are firmly established.”

[snip][end]

Did some quick back of the envelope math. Not sure when that database started but I'll take 1987 as "late 1980s". So, 31 years since it started. 350 documented hoax hate crimes. Yeah, that's around 10 a year.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

Of course, the first thing dumb conservative whites started screaming all over Twitter was that he was hoaxing. As if they don't already have a history of lynching everyone they come across. :problem:

Yesterday: Jussie Smollett attack: Surveillance video shows potential persons of interest in attack, Chicago police say - ABC 7

White conservatism is domestic terrorism. Always was. Let's hope whoever did this is brought to justice.

So much for your claims of White conservative domestic terrorist being behind the attack. But, we do agree let's hope whoever did this is brought to justice.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

You know, I'm wondering if that web site was definitely trying to win one of those awards for least readable web design.

May not be the only issue with it, mind.

https://www.splcenter.org/20180415/hate ... -reporting

Though hate crime reports that turn out to be hoaxes often generate sensational headlines, the phenomenon is relatively rare. The FBI estimates that between 2% and 8% of hate crime reports are hoaxes – a tiny number in comparison with the many thousands that the federal government says go unreported (see above).

“We do routinely see a very small number of hate crime hoaxes, but we also see hoaxes with respect to arson and auto theft and even reports of sexual assault, yet we don’t say the overwhelming number of reports of those crimes are hoaxes, either,” Brian Levin, director of the Center on Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino, told Fox News.

Even researchers dedicated to documenting hate crime hoaxes have found relatively few. One website, fakehatecrimes.org, has tallied fewer than 350 since the late 1980s. It should be noted that this site claims to continue the work of writer Laird Wilcox, whose unpublished manuscript Crying Wolf on the site claims, “Today discrimination in schools, housing, jobs, and government is minimal. Institutional racism is virtually gone. In its place, a series of preferential policies are firmly established.”

[snip][end]

Did some quick back of the envelope math. Not sure when that database started but I'll take 1987 as "late 1980s". So, 31 years since it started. 350 documented hoax hate crimes. Yeah, that's around 10 a year.

A staged hate crime is pretty awful. It's an assault on the public at large because it will have the effect of obstructing justice in that it may undermine the prosecution of real hate crimes. In the event that the staged element of a staged hate crime is not discovered will it cause some innocent person to fall under suspicion, be accused, tried, convicted, and serve time???

In my eyes if Jussie is accused, tried, convicted for this I wouldn't think it unfair for him to serve time for staging this, maybe up to five years.

It's a crime what's been alleged he did, it's not a hoax.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Filing a false police report is a crime - if it's knowingly false, with intent to deceive.

The penalties seem to depend on the jurisdiction.
https://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-c ... eport.html

Your state, CA, typically charges that as a misdemeanor, with 6 months jail time.

But I agree with your other point, which is that unfortunately this will make other real victims in the future less likely to be believed. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ignore what, exactly?

Cons cry fake when they all happen. They’re silent on Carolyn Donham, though.

This incident — which isn’t over, yet — won’t change that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

So much for your claims of White conservative domestic terrorist being behind the attack. But, we do agree let's hope whoever did this is brought to justice.

Hey, I understand how desperate you are to be considered a victim when your lifestyle is criticized, but I didn’t make that claim.

You don’t even get a silver star for this one. Such lazy people, you are.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

I hope people here are aware that this is going to grand jury this week.

TMZ: Grand jury to hear case involving Jussie Smollett early this week - Fox 6

Quote:
Sources told TMZ early on in the investigation, they asked Smollett if he’d sign complaints against the men who attacked him, and he was clear that he would, but when he found out the brothers were the ones in custody, TMZ was told he said he knew them, felt bad for them and declined to sign the complaints. Sources told TMZ although police believe the brothers purchased the rope that was around Smollett’s neck after the incident, there was no surveillance video from the hardware store because it erases after a week.

TMZ said police tracked the brothers down through their movements in arriving and leaving the scene around Smollett’s apartment building. According to TMZ, they left in either a cab or an Uber. Officers tracked the vehicle and the brothers got out on their way home and into another vehicle. As one source put it, “It was almost like a bad spy movie.” TMZ was told when police picked the brothers up at O’Hare International Airport, the officers had three warrants for each of them, one to seize their phones.

Sources told TMZ there were red flags from the get-go. Police were extremely suspicious when Smollett took them out to the area where he said he was attacked and pointed to an obscure camera saying how happy he was that the attack was on video.  Turns out, the camera was pointing in the wrong direction. Police thought it was weird he knew the location of that camera, TMZ said.

TMZ was told investigators didn’t believe the alleged attackers screamed, “This is MAGA country,” because, “Not a single Trump supporter watches ‘Empire.'”

Uh-huh.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

A staged hate crime is pretty awful. It's an assault on the public at large because it will have the effect of obstructing justice in that it may undermine the prosecution of real hate crimes. In the event that the staged element of a staged hate crime is not discovered will it cause some innocent person to fall under suspicion, be accused, tried, convicted, and serve time???

In my eyes if Jussie is accused, tried, convicted for this I wouldn't think it unfair for him to serve time for staging this, maybe up to five years.

It's a crime what's been alleged he did, it's not a hoax.

:?

Five years. Really? Interesting, how quickly the punitive gloves come off.

You realize the cop who killed a guy with 16 shots isn't even getting 7 years, after this same PD lied about it & sat on the tape for a year, right?

Way to gloss over everything you quoted ProfX saying about that fakehatecrimes.org white con grievance site. Do better.

Last edited by carmenjonze on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.