RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm interested in how he's going to plead. And what kind of defense his lawyers are putting together.

Meanwhile, cue the standard-issue, typical white-con response...

ANN COULTER SAYS ALL HATE CRIMES ARE 'HOAXES' AMID JUSSIE SMOLLETT CONTROVERSY - Newsweek

:problem:

Not even going to quote this story. F. them.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, that's the bad part about this. If indeed he arranged it, he's done more for hate in the US than a real attack ever would have.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, that's the bad part about this. If indeed he arranged it, he's done more for hate in the US than a real attack ever would have.

Not so sure about that. People should be aware of another reality: of how difficult it already was (let's call it pre-Jussie) to have a hate crime happen to you and then even conceive of trying and go to the cops or other "authorities" for either justice or protection. I know I didn't, because I couldn't for NUMEROUS various reasons. African-American gay people are not sympathetic subjects; we weren't when it happened to me, and we're no more credible, now.

In his case, he's also a celebrity, and people love their anti-celebrity Schadenfreude. These issues are also directly related to what #metoo brought attention to, which is why people don't go to HR. You're not believed, and you're likely to be treated as a hoaxer, golddigger, out to get him, angry feminist, etc.

Chicago Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights has an entire project around hate crimes in the Chicago area

https://www.clccrul.org/hate-crime-project

One of their directors was on WBEZ today and there's a transcript.

As Jussie Smollett Case Unfolds, A Look At Hate Crimes In Chicago

Quote:
How should we interpret the latest data on hate crimes in Chicago and Illinois?
Julie Justicz: We need to be very careful before ascribing too much meaning to them. One thing we know very well about hate crime statistics is that they dramatically under report actual events. And in Illinois and in Chicago in particular, there may be many reasons why a victim of a hate crime is reluctant to report it, is frightened to go forward. And even if they do go forward, there’s a big question of whether those incidents ever make it to the FBI database.

On barriers to reporting a hate crime
Justicz: Those vary from individuals’ lack of knowledge about what a hate crime is, lack of information about where and how to best report, and then, once the case is actually reported, what is done with it. The prosecutor has to make a decision to pursue a hate crime, and oftentimes there is difficulty proving intent in these crimes and so rather than bringing forward a case where they’re not sure about conviction, the prosecutor will often choose to proceed with a lesser offense, such as a simple battery.

Jenn White: Is part of the issue a limitation in the way the law is written around whether or not someone can be convicted of a hate crime?

Justicz: I think we benefit from having a really good law in Illinois. … What’s difficult, though, with all these cases is to prove the underlying intent. So what we tend to see happening more and more is that prosecutors will veer away from a case, unless there’s really clear — and we’re talking beyond a reasonable doubt — evidence for a criminal case of the motivation.

False reports attract more attention than actual hate crimes
White: Do we know how common false reports of a hate crime actually are?

Justicz: I don’t have numbers on that. They are very low. … What we hope, if anything good is to come from this Jussie Smollett incident, it would be that we turn our focus to those who are victims of hate crimes in our city, in our state, and across the country due to an increasingly difficult political environment, increasingly divisive rhetoric. And we need to lend our support to those folks and make sure they’re heard and make sure police respond to them with the same time, resources and attention that they are giving now to Jussie Smollett’s case.

More in link.

Stop calling the cops on us.