RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Racist, anti-religious or homophobic attacks are awful, but faking them is right up there in moral terms.

No buts.

You guys are not in a position to make any morality-based judgments. Look at your silence on Emmit Till's accuser who is still very much alive, and your tacit endorsements of the Republican Party leader's treatment of immigrant infants and toddlers.

Every time there's a hate crime reported, conservatives immediately start pointing and crying fake. In fact, in recent years, a lot of you have taken to crying as if you are the victims.

This news cycle isn't going to change one single thing about that behavior.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Conservatives never engage in fake accusations against others.

Like this girl who was "attacked by an Obama supporter who carved the letter B into her face (backwards)". But she did this to her face, herself.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

Filing a false police report is a crime - if it's knowingly false, with intent to deceive.

The penalties seem to depend on the jurisdiction.
https://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-c ... eport.html

Your state, CA, typically charges that as a misdemeanor, with 6 months jail time.

But I agree with your other point, which is that unfortunately this will make other real victims in the future less likely to be believed. :cry:

TBH, I don't think so. The Jussie Truthers because of their rampant social issues are going to remain Jussie Truthers, regardless of what comes out of this story and the case. They're the same types as aragorn, who think websites like fakehatecrimes.org is a legitimate source. They are writeoffs.

One thing this story/case does bring up is that it's not that much safer now to go to the cops, or the hospital, after being gaybashed as it was a generation ago; ask me how I know. Now, as then, you're not going to be believed, in fact, certain corners are very eager to disbelieve. You will also likely be cast as the instigator or at best somebody who brought it on yourself.

And we see from Sam's post how eager they are to punish a hoaxer while cops who shoot people in the back and then lie about it don't even get ten years in jail.

Those who think this way are often enough from the same corners that think the MAGAhat kid was the victim and that 50 guys surrounding a couple Native American activists with drums and shrieking mockeries and derision at them are the victims.

I don't see that changing with this story, regardless of the outcome. And let's be clear: there are going to be many outcomes.

Last edited by carmenjonze on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Conservatives never engage in fake accusations against others.

Like this girl who was "attacked by an Obama supporter who carved the letter B into her face (backwards)". But she did this to her face, herself.

We have an entire thread about these people.

Stop Calling the Cops on Us

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

I sure hope there aren't any Jussie Truthers in this thread. But if there are, here's your chance to pose next to an "African-American" "civil rights activist" or whatever! Complete with the kente cloth, and everything!

Go for it!

‘Jussie Smollett Must Be Brought To Justice,’ Says LA-Based Civil-Rights Activist - KCAL

Quote:
Los Angeles-based civil-rights activist Najee Ali Sunday called for the arrest and prosecution of Jussie Smollett following reports alleging the “Empire” actor is under investigation for possible involvement in his own assault.

“We believe he is lying about being the victim of a hate crime and being the victim of a racist attack,” said Ali during an afternoon press conference. “Instead, he puts the real victims in the LGBT community, in the black community, in jeopardy and at risk.”

Not exactly.

I'm already every bit as much at risk to be gay-/blackbashed the minute I walk out of my door tomorrow morning, the same as I was in the many decades before this story broke.

But thanks so much for your concern. :problem:

Quote:
The press conference comes a day after Chicago police said the investigation into the assault reported by Smollett has “shifted” due to information received from two brothers questioned in the case.

“We can confirm that the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the Empire case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation,” Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in an emailed statement Saturday. “We’ve reached out to the Empire cast member’s attorney to request a follow-up interview.”

Guglielmi did not elaborate on what he meant by a shift in the case.

...though, it's interesting to note that "Shift in the case" is part of every other headline on this topic over the past 36 hours.

Quote:
“Smollett’s lies continues to divide a nation,” said Ali. “It continues to divide those who support Trump and those who don’t support Trump.”

Weird statement, but okay....

Last edited by carmenjonze on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Carmen what the hell is a Jussie Truther?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

don't be one

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:31 pm 
Political Junkie

Someone who believes the government orchestrated the whole thing and that there's no way Jussie Smollett could have been brought down by an airplane?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Someone who believes the government orchestrated the whole thing and that there's no way Jussie Smollett could have been brought down by an airplane?

You guys cry hoax with every hate crime perpetrated against a minority.

You are silent about Carolyn Donham, though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

don't be one

You've been being so whataboutry, is the New York Times being one?

Jussie Smollett Timeline: Mystery Deepens as Police Review Case

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/17/arts ... eline.html

I'm asking because I'm so New York Times like, I use words like "suspicion," "accused," and "alleged."

:|

Check this out, these are Jewish scare quotes """scare"""

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:56 pm 
Political Junkie

I don't cry hoax with every hate crime perpetrated against a minority but the Jussie Smollett incident is looking more and more like a hoax every day.

Do you think he's telling the truth Carmen?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:01 am 
Political Junkie

No buts.

You guys are not in a position to make any morality-based judgments. Look at your silence on Emmit Till's accuser who is still very much alive, and your tacit endorsements of the Republican Party leader's treatment of immigrant infants and toddlers.

Every time there's a hate crime reported, conservatives immediately start pointing and crying fake. In fact, in recent years, a lot of you have taken to crying as if you are the victims.

This news cycle isn't going to change one single thing about that behavior.
Does this mean that you get to be completely wrong about the facts of this case, stumbling forward to a false conclusion that fits your lazy and hateful narrative, and then claim the moral high ground?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:03 am 
Policy Wonk

Does this mean that you get to be completely wrong about the facts of this case, stumbling forward to a false conclusion that fits your lazy and hateful narrative, and then claim the moral high ground?

What makes it lazy? Or hateful. When did Carmen claim "the moral high ground?"

Btw...are you really Peek-a-Boo?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:04 am 
Board Emeritus

I talk about Mayella Ewell sometimes, she's sort of like Carolyn Donham except for being a fictitious character in a novel.

As soon as it came up that Smollett may have staged his attack I thought of her.

Ewell is kind of like the White Smollett, or Smollett is kind of like the Black Ewell. Sort of.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:05 am 
Political Junkie

Btw...are you really Peek-a-Boo?
You ask really dumb questions, Roy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:10 am 
Policy Wonk

No, you made a shit wad of assertions about someone, but failed to say why. Adjectives have no meaning without backup. I could do that too. "Aragorn never takes out the trash." "Aragorn has terrible table manners." "Aragorn is a racist." "Aragorn hates women." "Aragorn refuses to use a napkin."

See, assertions are like turds. They have no meaning and no sensible person wants them hanging around.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:26 am 
Board Emeritus

Well, I think what your retort means is that you didn't read what was written and simply jerked your knees in response.

There is a lot of that from you guys on this thread, I've noticed, starting with your perception of what I've actually said about "the facts of this case".

But yes, continue in your angry victimhood and shallow emotional needs to prove me wrong about something...anything...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:38 am 
Board Emeritus

I don't cry hoax with every hate crime perpetrated against a minority but the Jussie Smollett incident is looking more and more like a hoax every day.

You may not personally, but collectively, it's a longstanding bad habit that kicked right into gear when this story hit the news. It's looking to me like botched policework every day. When a guy tells you two white guys did it and they bring in two Black guys associated with Smollet personally who then have this kind of extraordinary story, hm...then they were released...then it comes out that the case "shifted" because of the information they gave...ok, that happens, but...

CPD has also maintained throughout that they are treating Smollett as a victim and not a suspect. If what TMZ says is true, that their main suspicion now is that it couldn't have been Trump supporters because no Trump supporter watches Empire, that's really shoddy work.

Quote:
Do you think he's telling the truth Carmen?

Last q., pls

viewtopic.php?p=441636#p441636

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:42 am 
Board Emeritus

You've been being so whataboutry,

:? whatever that's supposed to mean...

Quote:
is the New York Times being one?

No, the NYT is not being one. Neither is The Advocate https://www.advocate.com/news/2019/2/16 ... estigation

The past two days have been key to this case, especially for people following this story. From the NYT:

Quote:
Feb. 15: In a whirlwind day, the detained brothers are identified as potential suspects by police, but that night are released without being charged. Investigators announce they are no longer considered suspects but do not say why.

Feb. 16: The police say they are seeking to speak with Smollett again. Media outlets, including CNN, report that the two men have told investigators they were paid to take part in a hoax. Guglielmi says in a statement, “We can confirm that the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the ‘Empire’ case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation.”

Lawyers for Smollett release a statement saying, “As a victim of a hate crime who has cooperated with the police investigation, Jussie Smollett is angered and devastated by recent reports that the perpetrators are individuals he is familiar with.”

It added: “One of these purported suspects was Jussie’s personal trainer who he hired to ready him physically for a music video. It is impossible to believe that this person could have played a role in the crime against Jussie or would falsely claim Jussie’s complicity.”

The lawyers say that Smollett will “continue to cooperate” and that they “have no inclination to respond to ‘unnamed’ sources inside of the investigation.”

From The Advocate:

Quote:
February 15

The two men being held by Chicago police are named suspects in the case and will be held in custody for interviewing. No charges are filed and they are released after producing new evidence in the investigation.

The Advocate confirms that Smollett does know the two men.

February 16

Sources inform media outlets that the new evidence produced is a receipt showing the purchase of the rope used in the attack. Police confirm that these men are the two subjects found in released screenshots of video surveillance from that night.

Smollett’s spokespeople confirm to The Advocate that the actor has retained high-profile defense attorneys who specialize in criminal investigations.

A Chicago police spokesperson says this new evidence has changed the “trajectory” of the investigation and they’ve requested to interview Smollett immediately.

February 16 (late night)

Jussie Smollett's camp releases a statement through his new criminal defense team that denies all reports that the actor coordinated the January attack.

“As a victim of a hate crime who has cooperated with the police investigation, Jussie Smollett is angered and devastated by recent reports that the perpetrators are individuals he is familiar with," his legal team writes. "He has now been further victimized by claims attributed to these alleged perpetrators that Jussie played a role in his own attack. Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying."

His camp finally confirms that the men did know Smollett and that one was a personal trainer he hired for a music video. They also state they are cooperating with police.

What makes you ask?

Last edited by carmenjonze on Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:47 am 
Board Emeritus

Ewell is kind of like the White Smollett, or Smollett is kind of like the Black Ewell.

Smollett is also Jewish, and gay, and an actual person.

Look, I get that this news story may be a funny abstract joke to some people like yourself. But you might take note that the case isn't over, yet. And I hope you didn't miss that it's going to grand jury this week.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:32 am 
Board Emeritus

Also, ted, to answer your question, I'll put it this way: I don't think he's hoaxing. One would think that if he was, this would be prime time to fess up, but he's sticking by his story probably for real reasons as opposed to lies. It's up to him and his lawyers to prove he's telling the truth, but unless proven otherwise, I'm willing to be wrong about it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:01 am 
Board Emeritus

Care to answer?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:51 am 
Political Junkie

Also, ted, to answer your question, I'll put it this way: I don't think he's hoaxing. One would think that if he was, this would be prime time to fess up, but he's sticking by his story probably for real reasons as opposed to lies. It's up to him and his lawyers to prove he's telling the truth, but unless proven otherwise, I'm willing to be wrong about it.

We disagree on the part where it's up to him and his lawyers to prove he's telling the truth. I believe it's up to the prosecutor to prove that he is not telling the truth - if that is indeed the case. Jussie Smollett is innocent until proven otherwise.

As to why someone woukd hoax something like this? My best guess would be money or career.

On Carolyn Donham - there are disturbing allegations against her that could make her an accessory to the murder of Emmett Till. If these allegations are true she should be held accountable for her actions.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Too much fog of war on this one for me to comment right now. The facts seem to be even more post-modern than usual. They change right before your amazed eyes, presto change-o.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

Too much fog of war on this one for me to comment right now. The facts seem to be even more post-modern than usual. They change right before your amazed eyes, presto change-o.

It is certainly a time to use words like "alleged."

It's also a good time to realize that out on the Internet there are undoubtedly rumors, distortions, and lies lodged in the wain coat to suit almost any bias in the creation of their own finely crafted scenarios.

It's not quite as bad as that Zimmerman killed Martin case became, not yet. Not as bad as that OJ case either.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next