RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Spielberg vs. Netflix Battle Could Mean Collateral Damage for Indies at the Oscars

Steven Spielberg isn’t basking in the glow of Best Picture Oscar-winner “Green Book,” which he supported in this year’s contentious Oscar race. His Academy Award attention is now devoted to ensuring that the race never sees another “Roma” — a Netflix film backed by massive sums, that didn’t play by the same rules as its analog-studio competitors.

As far as he’s concerned, as it currently stands Netflix should only compete for awards in the Emmy arena; as the Academy Governor representing the directors branch, Spielberg is eager to support rule changes when it convenes for its annual post-Oscar meeting.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/steve ... 202047846/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

The article lays out the distribution and marketing issues quite well. Netflix isn't the first producer to orchestrate and finance a huge Oscar campaign, and they appear to have played by the rules as they now exist.

The issue seems to center on what's badly described as a perceived threat to "analog-studio competitors." WTF is an analog studio? That like a steam-powered jetliner? All the studios are pretty digital these days, even if the original is on film. They time-code film, and go to video for editing. Theaters are usually digital these days, and there's way way fewer projectionists picking up prints at the door, rewinding them onto platters or bigger reels (shipping reels suck), and then reversing the process when the run's over. (I hated shipping prints. Fortunately the boss usually came and did it.)

There's something wrong with the product of two years out of your life ending up in a file instead of two metal cans, but that's another discussion.

This might well indeed hurt indies, but since Green Book was a Universal pickup after it won something at a festival, they are still in the picture, pun intended. Most festivals are really markets, with the merchandise projected onto a shiny wall. Those two guys never dreamed they'd win an Oscar.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was annoyed about the winning movie I had never heard of and now to find out it is a Netflix product, FUCK THAT.

I agree completely with Spielberg.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Wasn't Spielburg the invader without a right 30 years ago. Now he want's to mine the pass he traveled though.

The whole issue appears to be translucent. Turn out the light and it goes away.