Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Watchmen (HBO)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

As I said in another thread, the new TV show, based on the 1985 graphic novel, starts this Sunday.

Looks fascinating. Almost makes me want to get an HBO sub.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

This older trailer features a quick shot of Hooded Justice, one of the original 40s Minutemen.

Jean Smart appears to be playing the former Silk Spectre (II), now going by Laurie Blake, who's given up her gig and become an FBI agent.

Jeremy Irons is "Ozymandias". From the original story. BTW, you briefly see a newspaper declaring that he (Adrian Veidt's) died, so ... ?

Regina King plays "Sister Night," a black female cop who dons a costume to fight crime.

Post subject: Re: Watchmen (HBO)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have a hard enough time keeping track of who's who in a movie without everyone in the movie wearing a mask.

:|

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:45 am 
Board Emeritus

So, even when Jean Smart (Laurie Blake) was a superheroine in the GN, she never wore a mask. Her mom, the original Silk Spectre, didn't either. It's interesting when you see flashback scenes because she's surrounded by guys who do, but she doesn't have one. So the female heroine doesn't rely on a secret identity.

The other woman on the team - Silhouette - BTW she was a Jewish lesbian who fled the Nazis - didn't wear a mask either. Just them. (She will be murdered in the early 50s.)

The guy kneeling in front of the team is the Comedian, Eddie Blake. He actually raped Laurie's mom and was her father, though she didn't learn that until much later on. He's kind of a bit of a scumbag. He actually will be the oldest member of the 2nd team in the 70s, the only one who was on both teams. He changes his outfit to a much more militaristic black leather suit, and starts wearing the signature "have a nice day" smiley face on the lapel. His murder in 1985 is the opening scene of the graphic novel. So ... what's interesting is Laurie is also now using his last name in the TV series.

Anyway, as I said, it seems in the HBO TV series she's given up that gig, and is now an FBI agent, but she has some of the best lines. (There's a bit of a mystery as to what happened to her boyfriend, who was the second Night Owl ... his Owlship can be seen crashing in the trailer, but you don't see him.)

[from IMDB]
You know how you can tell the difference between a masked cop and a vigilante?” Smart, as FBI Agent Laurie Blake, asks.
No-bullshit Tulsa police detective Angela Abar, played by Regina King, answers plainly, as expected: “No.”
“Me either,” Laurie says — and that’s the end of the joke.

Elsewhere in the trailer, she tells Angela/Sister Night that the real reason people wear masks is to hide from their own trauma and pain.

The irony of the series is that in the early 80s the government of this alt-reality banned masked vigilantes ... and yet now in the TV show the entire Tulsa police force is using yellow masks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am not going to spoiler box this. But I will give a spoiler warning. SO: IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE ANAL TYPES THAT REALLY HATE SPOILERS, STOP READING. You have been warned. :mrgreen:

OK. So I managed to watch the first episode ... we won't go into the details of how :D ... but then I was fascinated by the reviews of other people who saw it. There is some fascinating crap going on in this series, some of which relates to stuff we discuss on our little board. Others are massive easter eggs for people who know the story this is an effective sequel to.

Richard Nixon was in his 4th term in the original story. Since he abolished term limits, it seems Robert Redford has now, as of the 2019 of this alt-universe, also been president for 4 terms. The show opens with the Tulsa Race Massacre of 1921. Well, it seems that Redford has already passed reparations for that event and for slavery and one character even refers to them as "Redfordations!" The existence of this program seems to be one of the reasons why the racist 7th Kavalry even exists. Anyway, you may have seen the Lou Gossett Jr. character from the trailers. It's not clear who he really is, he turns up at mysterious times (and claims, it SEEMS, jokingly, to be Dr. Manhattan) but a lot of the things point to the fact that he is probably a child survivor of the Tulsa Massacre you see at the beginning of the show, now alive (but very old) in the present.

The technology of this world is different from ours in strange ways. Somehow nobody has invented either cell phones or the Internet. And yet, due to the existence of Dr. Manhattan, cars are all electric ... and other kinds of weird tech exist. The police captain uses an "owl ship" which is either Night Owl's original hover craft, or at least based on it.

Now some of you may enjoy one interesting feature of the Tulsa police. BTW, it seems all police forces, not just Tulsa's, carry guns that are disabled! They can only enable their police weapon to fire if somebody at HQ activates an authorization code. Really bizarre .... the guy at the Tulsa police HQ who does this wears a panda mask!

On the other hand, they all wear yellow masks, and some of the people wear entire costumes. Masked vigilantes are back! But working for the police! What's really odd is on the one hand they can no longer lethally shoot people without remote authorization. But on the other, the "Looking Glass" guy is apparently empowered to interrogate people through torture (he puts them in a pod where they are bombarded by images sort of like "Clockwork Orange" style), using methods that seem very Shrublike, and they are not allowed to have attorneys. So who watches the watchmen, indeed.

For fans of the original work ... Dr. Manhattan is on Mars (not in another galaxy), and may even be coming back to Earth (it's certainly hinting at that), Veidt/Ozymandias (played by Irons) faked his death but still appears to be alive, living in Wales, surrounded by ... androids? (it's not clear but they don't seem like normal people) and he's working on a play called "The Watchman's Son" (that's btw who Dr. Manhattan was), for some strange reason which appears to relate to the original story, strange rains of tiny squids are happening all over the place? ... and ...

Final scene of the show ... the Don Johnson police captain has been lynched, but we don't know by whom. Lou Gossett Jr. who's is nearby? (But in a wheelchair plus he's like 90 years old!) The 7th Kavalry (most likely but at least one guy doesn't think so). By some other force? Is Veidt still pulling the strings of what's happening in Tulsa? And why? IS the 7th Kavalry pawns of some other force? As Angela/Night Sister finds his body, there's a drop of blood on the corner of his police badge, which looks just like the bloodstain on the Comedian's happy face pin when his body is found. And in the original story, that was a hint of a larger conspiracy that we find Veidt is ultimately behind ... a theme that the Lou Gossett Jr. character keeps hinting at, too "there's a vast conspiracy afoot that would blow your mind" ...

Did the 7th Kavalry find Rohrshach's journal? Do they know the truth of what happened? Is that why they all wear his mask and quote him? But where does the whole white supremacy/connection to the Tulsa Race Riots come from ... ? All throughout, it just wouldn't be Watchmen without the existence of clocks all over the place, counting down to .... something.

Tick tock tick tock tick tock ...

BTW, doesn't look like Jean Smart/Laurie Blake (the FBI Agent/former Silk Spectre) is showing up till episode 2.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:41 am 
Board Emeritus

I like this guy's review of the new Watchmen series over at dKos.

Gonna link it, and note a few tidbits that caught my eye. BTW, theoretically, I should also note, some of this stuff is spoiler-esque. Still not using boxes, though.

HBO returns to the 'Watchmen' universe to ponder: Who really makes the world?
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/1 ... -the-world

In the three decades since Ozymandias’ (Jeremy Irons) plan of a faked alien threat was enacted, Richard Nixon’s reign has ended. Robert Redford, whose possible election is hinted at in the graphic novel as being a “cowboy actor” interested in politics (an inverse of Ronald Reagan’s political ascendance in our timeline), is now the longest-serving president in American history. Where Reagan’s election ushered in a conservative revolution, Redford has instituted a far-reaching liberal agenda which includes reparations to African-Americans, nicknamed “Redfordations,” which exempts descendants of racial violence from paying taxes. Not everyone is happy about this, and domestic terrorists have started targeting the public and police. One of those groups takes on the name “Seventh Kavalry” while twisting the imagery and writings of Rorschach into advancing a white supremacist philosophy.

[snip]

Who makes the world? We do. Who’s responsible for the evil in it? We are. Who tolerates the injustices which pervade around us? All of us, either implicitly or explicitly. Some might like to believe a mentality of ignorance and intolerance is endemic only to "red" America and voters in pickup trucks with Confederate battle flags. But historically, the sad reality is the blue areas of the country have just as much of a problem treating other human beings as individuals worthy of respect, an education, and a home if it means property values might go down a nickel. And while no one in places like Massachusetts or New York ever explicitly wrote their intent into a law or called it Jim Crow, the same tactics of appeals to ignorance and selfishness were used to divide and differentiate neighborhoods. It is the 21st century, and the most segregated city in the United States is not anywhere in the South. It's not Nashville, New Orleans, or Atlanta. It's Chicago, Illinois. The segregation within Chicago didn't happen by accident, and it has persisted for decades. And the effects of this go beyond just housing to educational and employment opportunities, transportation costs, overall economic growth within a region, and how justice is doled out when a cop stops someone on the side of the road.

[snip]

The Seventh Kavalry’s message in which they appropriate and corrupt Rorschach’s words includes the message: “We are no one. We are everyone. We are invisible.” It has similarities to real-world statements made by groups like Anonymous and QAnon.

[snip]

One of the controversies sparked by the series, since it wants to be a commentary on institutional racism, has been its portrayal of the police fighting racism, instead of having problems with racism within their own ranks that perpetuates the problem. However, as the series progresses this issue becomes more complex, and some of the criticisms about it will probably be less of an issue.

[snip][end]

Yeah, they noticed some more crazy shit I forgot to mention about this alt reality. The U.S. flag has been changed because Vietnam is now the 51st state! And Nixon's face has apparently been put on Rushmore. (The GN hints, but never explicitly says, there never was a Watergate investigation because the Comedian killed Woodward and Bernstein.)

The first scene (in the present) is a black police officer being killed by a white guy he pulled over for a traffic stop. In part, he can't defend himself because "Panda" hasn't authorized the use of his gun.

Also, as I said above, the last scene is the white Don Johnson guy, who's head of the police force in Tulsa, being lynched.

Lindelof is - much like Moore - very fond of inverting and playing with tropes, all while apparently commenting on institutional racism. Anyway, there's already hints that just like in our real world, all is not well in the realm of the Tulsa police. Somebody may be working with the 7th Kavalry, and sold out Don Johnson. Was it "Looking Glass"? We don't know, yet.

BTW, one of the characters who never gets much backstory in the GN is Ozymandias himself (Veidt, played by Irons) ... although at some point it is hinted he may be one of the most intelligent people on Earth, because his parents were South Africans who believed in eugenics, and may have utilized some of it to give birth to Veidt.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

I havent watched yet. Not sure if I will.

New show on HBO other than this, sitcom maybe. Oh, yes, Silicon Valley last season starting up.

Love HBO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

So ... other than Watchmen, I guess there's two other things ... John Oliver and Bill Maher.

Fact is, you can get about 60% of Oliver's show right from the web for free ... and Maher's ... well, all I will say is there are ways. ;)

I like the fantasy genre but never could get much into Game of Thrones ... always seemed to be low fantasy (I mean a little bit of undead, dragons, and magic) but high on the whole "backstabbing families and political machinations" thing ... a friend of mine once called it "House of Cards in the Conan the Barbarian era".

So I never found much of a reason to subscribe. Bottom line, these days, you can get anything 'street legal' if you're just patient, it eventually comes to Netflix and elsewhere.

And if you're not patient ... there's always dodgy places run by the Russians. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Here Watchmen are sent in to arrest the Hogfather.

But the Hogfather gives corporal Nobs a nice crossbow instead. :)

Corporal Nobs reminds me of this video:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:58 am 
Board Emeritus

Sort of funny, but based on some responses I've seen, at least true for some.

White Folks ‘Embarrassed to Admit’ They Just Learned About the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre Through an Episode of ‘Watchmen’
https://atlantablackstar.com/2019/10/22 ... -watchmen/

The series premiere of the HBO series “Watchmen” debuted Sunday night and while the show is inspired by some fictional characters in the DC Comics series of the same name, the plot of the first episode was all too real.

Set in an alternative history where superheroes are seen as outlaws, the initial episode sees Detective Angela Abar and Chief Judd Crawford look into the attempted murder of a Tulsa police officer in 2019 — where law enforcement now shields their faces with masks. The probe comes nearly 100 years after a Black boy and an orphaned baby girl are the lone survivors after planes drop bombs on the community in the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre.

The 20th-century incident saw the Ku Klux Klan invade the area of Black wealth known as Black Wall Street on May 31, 1921, and kill at least 300 people — 90 percent of whom were Black. Over the course of 16 hours, the community was left in shambles, burned to the ground after white mobs destroyed 35 city blocks where 1,200 people lived. Moreover, 600 thriving businesses were lost, and among them were 30 grocery stores, 21 restaurants, two movie theaters, and a hospital.

The moment has been deemed the “single worst incident of racial violence in American history, “ according to the Oklahoma Historical Society.

But many white viewers of the Regina King-starring “Watchmen” had been unaware of the massacre, of which news reports on the matter were largely suppressed, according to History.com. Many of those watching the show admitted their ignorance of the event that ravaged a once-wealthy area in which six Black families owned their own planes when only two airports were built. It never returned to its former brilliance after desegregation.

[snip]

“I’m glad people are now learning, but I’m endlessly disappointed that Americans always wait for a movie to teach them history. It’s frustrating.”

[snip][end]

Yeah, the one ironic problem I see is Watchmen is set in an alt-reality with a different history from our own world from the 1940s on ... however, the Tulsa Massacre it starts with in 1921 to begin the series was quite real. A little bit of google and people quickly realize these events were not made up for the show.

Now, the Lou Gossett Jr. character ... I guess we're going to have to see.

In the credits, his character's name is listed as "Will Reeves".

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/t ... explained/

The character's name is Will Reeves and is played by Louis Gossett Jr., an Academy Award-winning actor known for his roles in An Officer and a Gentlemen and the iconic television series Roots. We actually see the character twice in this series premiere. Earlier in the episode, when Abar is walking into her hideout in an unopened bakery, Abar and the man briefly talk, and he asks her if she thinks he could lift 200 pounds.

But he also appeared one other time in the episode. In the premiere's cold open, we see a little boy saved from the carnage of the Tulsa Massacre of 1921. The boy is given a note that says "Watch Over This Boy." In the closing moments of the episode, when we see Will near Crawford's body, he still has the note on his lap.

[snip][end]

When the series starts, at the very beginning, right before the 1921 riots are about to happen, the kid (who might be the future "Will Reeves") is watching a silent film about Bass Reeves in a theatre. His parents are killed in the riots as they are leaving the theatre. That's very Batmanesque.

[from Wiki]
Bass Reeves (July 1838 – January 12, 1910) was the first black deputy U.S. marshal west of the Mississippi River. He worked mostly in Arkansas and the Oklahoma Territory.[a] During his long career, he was credited with arresting more than 3,000 felons. He shot and killed 14 people in self-defense.[end]

Now - the people who are saying he might have been the real original Hooded Justice - wow, that blows my mind - the GN doesn't always show us the real faces of all the masked Minutemen, but we occasionally get tiny dribs of backstory ... and supposedly Hooded Justice was a German guy, a circus strongman, named Rolf Muller with ties to the Nazis ...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Watching now, trying to get into it.

Isnt it grand watching our history of mass murder of AA for the crime of being AA.

sigh

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oh for krist sake

1. why does the cop have a yellow scarf on his face?

I may have to start over...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

So, ever since the infamous "White Night" where the 7th Kavalry attacked all the police in Tulsa, the Tulsa police ALL wear yellow masks to conceal their identity.

Meanwhile, the 7th Kavalry themselves all wear Rohrshach masks. (I've posted a video about him before, if you're wondering who he was.)

Which is why I think Laurie's question will matter so much: when everybody's all wearing masks, how do you tell the difference between the good and the bad guys?

Oh right. You can't.

There are a lot of theories about who the Judd Crawford/Don Johnson character really was. At least one theory is he may have been the 2nd Night Owl. Which is why he has an Owlship.

Also, it's really weird trying to figure out if Jeremy Irons really is Ozymandias ... something seems strange about him, as well as his servants. Plus the newspaper says he's dead. He could have faked his own death, but ......

Also, IF the Lou Gossett Jr. character was the boy who survived the Tulsa massacre ... well, holy crap, isn't he pushing 100-something at this point?

There are a lot of mysteries being teased ... well done, Msr. Lindelof, well done. (Some will only be noticed by those familiar with the backstory of the characters.)

I really recommend watching the 2009 Watchmen movie if you want to understand some of that backstory. Only thing is, the movie changed a few details from the graphic novel, and it's looking like the TV series is sticking to the GN.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:35 am 
Board Emeritus

Huh ... 2nd episode answered some questions, and of course started others. Not using spoiler box, but I'll give spoiler warning.

OK ... you have been warned ... *final warning* ...

So, despite being coy, it seems Will/Gossett Jr. is the boy who survived the Tulsa riots, and also Angela's grandfather (he's 105 years old)... BTW in a nice real world touch the hologram who gives her this info is none other than Henry Louis Gates, Jr .... now we still don't know what's going on with him, but he seems to know stuff, and something grabs him out of Angela's grasp at the end of the ep. with a giant magnet ...

One thing he told her is there are skeletons in DJ/Sheriff Crawford's closet, and there were ... while over at his house "sitting shiva" Angela sneaks into his closet and finds Klan robes ... what's up with that, this guy she trusted for so long, the only other survivor of the "White Night" massacre ...

It seems all the 7th Kavalry, or at least many, live in a trailer park called "Nixonville" with a giant Nixon statue outside ... still don't know what they're up to. With the watch batteries.

We still don't know much about what the hell is going on with Irons/Veidt at this point, but he is indeed re-enacting a play with his servants which re-enacts the creation of Dr. Manhattan ... and in some bizarre sadistic touch has him burning one of his servants alive ... no big deal, it seems, the servants all appear to be clones. Or androids? Whatever. They are all identical. Which makes me wonder about Adrian himself ...

Laurie Blake still hasn't shown up. Ep. 3 I guess.

Just noticed in this episode "Red Scare" appears to be Russian. Somebody yelled at him "fascist!" and with a pronounced Russian accent, he yells back "I'm a Communist!"

The first episode of the show-within-the-show "American Hero Story" focused on Hooded Justice of the Minutemen.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:36 am 
Board Emeritus

Ep. 3: minor spoilers follow. But I'll warn.

Laurie Blake (Jean Smart) shows up. She's now an FBI agent, helping investigate Crawford's death. Her partner knows she used to be part of the Watchmen as "Silk Spectre" and also seems to be doing the "Peteypedia" backstory section of the HBO website. BTW, her boyfriend Dan Dreiberg/Night Owl appears to be in jail for violating the "no masked vigilantes" Keene Act. Her previous boyfriend was Dr. Manhattan ... who she calls with weird one way phone calls to Mars ... he doesn't answer.

Anyway, she apparently changed her last name to that of her bio father (Eddie Blake, the Comedian) and even called herself "Comedienne" for a while ... then went legit, quit the superhero stuff, and went to work for the FBI. She may be working some kind of deal to get Dan out of prison ... hinted at, never really explained.

Still no idea what's going on with Irons. They did reveal he was Veidt/Ozymandias because he puts on the costume. Or is he? A clone? Is he in another dimension? The afterlife? We still don't know, he's building something, and something called "the game warden" is keeping him prisoner on his estate.

Gossett Jr. has not reappeared, but the car he was kidnapped in falls from the sky and almost crushes Angela. (I think that gives the title to the episode.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:10 am 
Board Emeritus

Ep. 4: major spoilers follow, though some is my own speculation. Still don't see need for spoiler boxes here, but I'll warn.

**OK last chance major spoilers follow**

So, Lady Trieu is introduced. And I get this really big feeling she's the big villain. Let's just say she doesn't start off by appearing very nice. Anyway, she appears to be a trillionaire from Vietnam, and got rich from acquiring Adrian Veidt's company. Seems to have mostly focused on its program on genetic engineering. She's building some kind of giant clock she calls the Millennium Clock, designed to withstand a ... nuclear war? Hmmm.

Laurie finally reveals to Angela who she is ... the former Silk Spectre (II)/Comedienne. She was tasked by the FBI to take down costumed vigilantes because ... well, she was one, she has personal experience. And they haven't said on the show but in "Peteypedia" it looks like Dan Dreiberg/Nite Owl is in prison for breaking the masked vigilante law ... they may be using this to control her.

It's still getting very strange about Will Reeves (Gossett Jr.). Lady Trieu reveals to Angela (only, talking to her in Vietnamese, which Angela understands as she was raised in Vietnam) ... that her and Grandpa Will are working together. On what, exactly? Seems like the Lady may have snatched his car earlier in the series ... "the friend in high places". Angela learns about her family that died in the Tulsa Massacre ... Will being one of the only survivors. But it looks like he's lying about something else. He actually doesn't need a wheelchair. He can stand just fine. Could he have actually killed Crawford? Curiouser and curiouser.

We pretty much get confirmed that Veidt (Irons) is stuck in some kind of prison. Further, he's not in Wales, this seems to be some sort of outer space prison. He keeps launching his clone servants through some type of barrier we can't see ... they come back frozen and desiccated from being in space. Where is he? On Mars? Why? I get this really odd feeling Trieu is his jailor, especially when we find out her interest in genetic engineering and cloning. And the way he "makes" new servants. BUT: why the hell is he being kept there?

C'mon Lindelof, start making some of this make a bit more sense, soon. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:09 pm 

Quote:
The Seventh Kavalry’s message in which they appropriate and corrupt Rorschach’s words includes the message: “We are no one. We are everyone. We are invisible.” It has similarities to real-world statements made by groups like Anonymous and QAnon.

Also the KKK.....I remember watching a documentary in high school that referred to them as the INVISIBLE EMPIRE....

awesome series, btw....Regina King is badass....really find the 7th Cavalry's mindset offensive to those of us that were/are fans of the Rorschach....

RK was interviewed about the series and basically blasted the racist 'fan boys' that are having 'issues' with the series....if I find that article, I'll post it....

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.
LYNDON B. JOHNSON, 1960

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:13 pm 

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a296 ... ntroversy/

Watchmen's Regina King takes on the trolls who think the show is too political
"Now, tell me why you feel uncomfortable?"

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.
LYNDON B. JOHNSON, 1960

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Also the KKK.....I remember watching a documentary in high school that referred to them as the INVISIBLE EMPIRE....

awesome series, btw....Regina King is badass....really find the 7th Cavalry's mindset offensive to those of us that were/are fans of the Rorschach....

Some of this is vaguely spoilerish? So I guess I'll warn.

So it's weird ... it seems that the character who has most copied his mask is the mysterious Looking Glass, who we'll learn more about next ep. ... the "Peteypedia" says the 7th Kavalry read about his diary in the New Frontiersman, a RW mag fictional to Watchmen but now being edited by ... their world's Roger Ailes ... anyway, they thus believe (correctly, of course) that "the inter dimensional squid" was a false flag hoax perpetrated by Ozymandias. But it seems everybody dismisses that theory as a loony CT (as if an inter dimensional squid is more plausible) ...

The thing that is off about them, though, is that while Rorshach was very much a kind of RW loon ... refused to retire after the Keene Act, and decided he would just kill criminals instead of capturing them ... the one thing that was never part of his character was racism. The 7th Kavalry clearly hate Native people (that was Custer's division) and Black folks ... seem to be angry about reparations passed by now President Robert Redford for the (real world) Tulsa Massacre ... I think this will be explained more as the series goes on.

Anyway ... Angela's speech about the world being all "black and white" interestingly is also his worldview. And Angela's character trajectory is following his, complete with the discovery of the murdered guy having secrets in his closet.

The Will Reeves/Gossett Jr. character. A total mystery. Now what's really weird is there is theory that he was Hooded Justice, the Klan-looking hero from the 40s, and he may have indeed lynched Crawford, with the Klan outfit. Seemed implausible, but then we found out he was faking needing a wheelchair. At age 105? Something odd is going on there, too. Why is he working with Lady Trieu, what is she up to, did she imprison Ozymandias and why? What crashed from space on the property she just bought? (Hopefully everybody noticed the family in the segment were named ... the Kents.)

Guess those answers are coming.