It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

I hope this isn't true.

Kevin Clash leaves SS following underage sex accusations

Kevin Clash, the voice of Elmo on "Sesame Street," is taking a leave of absence from the show in the wake of allegations that he had sex with an underage boy.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainme ... 3480.story

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

Honestly I think 16 should be age of consent. Little known fact that 16 is age of consent in 30 states, with 9 having 17 as age of consent. 18 is age of consent in 12 states.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

It appears that the accusation doesn't have merit. Clash requested a leave of absence "to clear his name." His accuser was 23 in June, when he "reported the sexual encounters" that had supposedly taken place when he was 16. I agree with jlee on the age of consent. There are plenty of 16-year-old guys having sex with girls and guys - and 16 is certainly not a child....
Sallie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

The accuser has recanted.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/11/kevin-clashs-accuser-recants-abuse-allegations.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well, that was fast.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

Miss Piggy probably threatened to kick his ass.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

Kevin has resigned

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wir ... n-17768274

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

This second one smells fishy to me....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:01 am 
Site Admin

You know what, I am a huge fan of Clash, and my kids absolutely adore his character, but he needed to leave, even if innocent. I know it sounds bad, but NONE of his fans are ready to even understand he's a puppeteer, much less an accused child molester. He damages his company's brand as well as his own by staying on. If this can be cleared, I wish he can pursue a lucrative career once again.

I truly hope he IS innocent, and is fully exonerated (unfortunately, the court of public opinion will bend whichever way it is wont to, regardless of reality). But, truth be told, I am personally skeptical of that possibility. My own experience is that there's fire where there's smoke and, having personal history here, I have zero tolerance for sexual abuse of minors.

I am truly saddened by this…

-P

P.S. 16 IS too young for an age of consent. Do you people not realize how young that is anymore???

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:53 am 
Board Emeritus

a question.

why do we treat a 16 year old or 17 year old as a child when it comes to sex but as an adult when it comes to murder charges?

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

bird wrote:
a question.

why do we treat a 16 year old or 17 year old as a child when it comes to sex but as an adult when it comes to murder charges?

I wouldn't...necessarily. There needs to be reasonable flexibility in the laws.

A 16 year old that rapes a woman should be tried as such, but a 17 year old having sex with a 16 year old isn't a pedophile.

P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

P.S. 16 IS too young for an age of consent. Do you people not realize how young that is anymore???

So at 16 you're willing to put your life, and the life of every one on the road, including pedestrians, in the hands of a teenager; but that same teenager isn't responsible enough to handle sex?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

So at 16 you're willing to put your life, and the life of every one on the road, including pedestrians, in the hands of a teenager; but that same teenager isn't responsible enough to handle sex?

So instead of lowering the age of consent, we ought to raise the age for becoming licensed as a driver. ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

jlee562 wrote:

So, you're saying a 16 year old is old enough for me, at 38, to take to bed?

P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

So, you're saying a 16 year old is old enough for me, at 38, to take to bed?

P

I'm saying that 16 year olds on average are competent enough to deal with sex. Obviously there is no one magic age at which every individual suddenly is "ready" for sex (whatever that means in the first place). There are a lot of adults who are "not ready" for sex based on the amount of people who show up on Maury Povich wondering who the father is. I don't think there's a compelling interest to intervene in people's lives like this. Sure, some 16 year olds are going to make bad decisions. But that happens in life. It's not the government's job to say to someone at 16 that you can't have sex because you might regret it later.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think there is a qualitative difference between two 16 year olds having sex and a 16 year old having sex with someone in their 30s or 40s. And I think the adult in that scenario has some serious problems.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think there is a qualitative difference between two 16 year olds having sex and a 16 year old having sex with someone in their 30s or 40s. And I think the adult in that scenario has some serious problems.

Yes and no.

Let me draw in an aside for a moment. People get all uppity over "pedophilia" or some such nonsense whenever something like this happens. But the DSM defines pedophilia as an attraction to pre-pubescent children. There is a word for people who display a preference for post-puberty, mid-to-late adolescent teenagers, and that word is ephebophilia. And of course, some level of this is completely normal and widely accepted in society. E.G., go to an adult store and count how many times you see "BARELY LEGAL!!!!!"

So in that sense, someone in their 30's and 40's who is having sex with a teenager may or may not have serious problems. I make no comment on the proportion of those with or without problems, I merely posit the possibility that it is not necessarily "serious problems" which drives such relationships.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was not implying that older people who have sex with teenagers are pedophiles - but I do believe, havng known more than one such couple, that they do , on the whole, have serious issues with maturity and boundaries and power. I have rarely known such relationships to be successful in the longterm and have known them to cause a great deal of harm to the participants and to extended family members.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was not implying that older people who have sex with teenagers are pedophiles - but I do believe, havng known more than one such couple, that they do , on the whole, have serious issues with maturity and boundaries and power. I have rarely known such relationships to be successful in the longterm and have known them to cause a great deal of harm to the participants and to extended family members.

I apologize if it came off like I was implying that you were implying as such.

I see a lot of younger/older relationships in the gay community here in the city. And I don't think they're successful long term either, and I would agree that many have issues with maturity and boundaries. But I still don't think that creates a compelling interest for the government to get involved.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

I apologize if it came off like I was implying that you were implying as such.

I see a lot of younger/older relationships in the gay community here in the city. And I don't think they're successful long term either, and I would agree that many have issues with maturity and boundaries. But I still don't think that creates a compelling interest for the government to get involved.

We may have had this discussion here before, but I wonder if current laws even apply to same-sex relationships, which are really kind of invisible in the eyes of the law as legitimate relationships and, if seen at all, are seen as depraved activity, regardless of age.

As for whether or not governmental involvement is appropriate, I think it is I believe that protection of children is a completely appropriate duty of government, so the question to me would just come back to the age at which a child is no longer a child. I'm inclined to say 18, which is about the time most youngsters are finished with high school and have gone on to work or higher education (or laying around Mom's house smoking weed and drinkihng beer and playing video games.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:51 am 
Site Admin

I'm saying that 16 year olds on average are competent enough to deal with sex. Obviously there is no one magic age at which every individual suddenly is "ready" for sex (whatever that means in the first place). There are a lot of adults who are "not ready" for sex based on the amount of people who show up on Maury Povich wondering who the father is. I don't think there's a compelling interest to intervene in people's lives like this. Sure, some 16 year olds are going to make bad decisions. But that happens in life. It's not the government's job to say to someone at 16 that you can't have sex because you might regret it later.

There is no magic age, on that we'll agree. But laws are difficult, if not impossible, to enforce without absolute clarity. I don't think there's a question whether it should be legal for me to have sex with a 16 year old (of either sex), but in case there is in your mind, let's start from there when you next reply.

I don't have a problem with older/younger romances. My father in law had more than 20 years more than my mother in law (in fact, he met her by walking home with her and his daughter (from his first marriage) from the university where he was a professor. The only problem with their marriage (which produced 5 children and I can't count grandkids) was that he died too soon, IMO.

But she was an adult when she met and married him.

A 16 year old is NOT that. A 16 year old is a child. A child can ride a bike. A child can drive a car (with limits). A child can work even in somewhat dangerous, hard jobs (within reason…I did), but they are still children. And adults and children SHOULD NEVER HAVE SEX.

If it isn't pedophilia, as you've defined it, it's a power thing, or it's a wanting to take innocence, or something else, but it's almost NEVER love, and it's almost always some damaging psyche. I would honestly think the same of someone my age going after a "freshly legal" 18 year old. It's just as sick in my mind, but the law needs a cutoff.

That said, I think it's ridiculous to prosecute another (barely) adult for having relations with someone "legally" a year or two younger than them. It happens, I know. But under that ridiculous enforcement, my wife would also be considered a serial child rapist (we started dating in high school, and I'm more than a year younger than her).

-P