RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

Just a good heart warming and life affirming read about the generosity of people and knowing never to judge a book by its cover:

http://www.cigarcitymagazine.com/people ... k-johnson/

Quote:
To the layman, it would have appeared to be the worst premiere in the film career of the world’s biggest Hollywood star–Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson.

After all, he is accustomed to red carpeted affairs surrounded by dozens of paparazzi and hundreds of adoring fans screaming for him to show them his trademark pearly white smile as camera flashes pop all around him. On this night, however, Dwayne Johnson’s movie premiere was on the opposite end of that spectrum. A few hundred people stood around the pavilion at TradeWinds Island Resorts during the 2012 Tri-Fitness World Challenge in St. Petersburg, Florida. A projector sat atop a table and a small white movie screen was hung on a C-stand. The film was just as low budget as the theatre setup; it was cell phone footage that had been blown up a few sizes too large to fit the movie screen.

Yes, to the layman, this movie premiere appeared…well…lame. However, those who have known the world’s biggest star since he was considered Tampa’s version of Dennis the Menace as a young boy running around wrestling auditoriums in the 1970s, knew that this was one of his most meaningful films.

The movie was of him wishing Milton McBride Rosen, a man with what many describe as “severe Down syndrome,” a happy 50th birthday. In the cell phone video message, he called Milton his friend and brother and expressed his endearing love for him. Finally, he called him a true champion, one of his greatest inspirations and sung him happy birthday.

“I've considered Milton my brother since I was five years old,” said Dwayne Johnson via email when asked to elaborate on his relationship with Milton. “And when I look back on all the years right up to today, he's always been one of my truest inspirations. Overcoming every challenge in his path, but more importantly than that, for all of us who consider Milton family, he makes our lives better just by being himself…and that’s a very special thing.”

Most who hear about the relationship between Milton and The Rock are shocked. In this TMZ world, how could a juicy celebrity tidbit about one of the world’s biggest stars being close friends with a 50-year-old man with Down syndrome have been kept a secret for so long?

A bit of a read, but it's such a compelling story.